Tom Scully

Rogue

..and the word is NIAIVE !! something you should be well aquainted with.

Pssst.. he is correct, I just went and checked my Concise Oxford English Dictionary and it is actually "naive" ;) (but since you are picking people up on poor spelling, it is "acquainted").

Anyway, now that this is all out in the open, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some sort of defining statement from Scully and the club in the near future.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite correct, this Circus has gone on far too long and it's time for Tom to make a call before he starts to look like the Circus Clown.

He can walk away from this with some credibility, either way, if he decides now, but the longer it's drawn out the more ridiculous he will look. We have both offers on the table, or so it would seem, and it's time to end the charade; sign or go.

If he delays the signing any longer then to me it's a clear indication he is going to move and quite frankly I don't care anymore, the money we are offering him is obscene and will do a lot of damage to the playing group. We are playing in to the hands of GWS and either way we will lose because we will have to lower the contracts of other players and they will become easier targets.

This sort of money should be paid to Premiership captains or Brownlow Medallists with 6 to 8 years' experience not a junior with a dicky knee and a dodgy disposal.

RobbieF i do agree it is an obscene amount of money on the table,but i do not think it makes Tom look ridiculous at all.

You seem to want to blame someone for all of this....Point your blame at Vlad and the commission...this is their doing.

Free Agency is going to change the landscape of our game...It is now time for the MFC to get strong...We will not win every battle, but the war must be won. We have no idea what else the MFC has on the table for Tom or other players on our list.

It is not over yet.

Tom will decide.

Edited by why you little

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/malthouse-a-1m-man-expie-coach-20110711-1haqj.html

Interesting idea from Tony Shaw.

As an exercise, I wonder if posters think it would benefit us more to forget Scully and throw the millions at Mick to come and coach us.

One unproven potential star versus one proven premiership coach and currently the best tactician in the game.

Perhaps we've got our priorities wrong ...

Whatever happened to the "it costs more to live in Sydney" argument that used to be bandied around?

Possibly the fact that it is not such a big difference (unless you want to live on the harbour). Melbourne's median house price $505,000 compared to Sydney's $525,000. Overall, apparently the cost of living is 6% higher in Sydney, but that is almost entirely down to the cost of property and transport - in most other areas relating to daily living, Sydney is cheaper (food, entertainment etc).

Whatever happened to the "it costs more to live in Sydney" argument that used to be bandied around?

Well durrrrr isn't it obvious? Since Sydney won the flag the cost of living in Sydney has dropped, I believe prices also dropped in Brisbane after they won three flags in a row.

BTW - whatever happened to waiting until the CBA was finalised before entering into contract discussions?

Players at the MFC that I think should be paid more than Tom Scully over the next 5 years;

Watts

Frawley

Trengove

McKenzie

Sylvia

Jamar

Players that should be paid similar to Scully over the next five years

Gysberts

Moloney

Garland

Davey

Grimes

Are you factoring Free Agency into this equation?? just wondering as the price of players will now fluctuate a lot more.

Guest 36DD

Oh, I'm arrogant alright.

But I don't pity you, RR...

And what do you believe will happen to these journos who have claimed a done deal when now the most veracious story (because it actually has quotes from one of the three parties) I have read says that the deals are there - to be sorted out in two months time?

Stevens, Barrett, Schwarz and their ilk will blame or explain away or not bother, because nothing will happen to them. And they will back on the horse in a fortnight.

If anyone is on Twatter can they please put this question to the "journalists"? I doubt they will get a response.

RobbieF i do agree it is an obscene amount of money on the table,but i do not think it makes Tom look ridiculous at all.

You seem to want to blame someone for all of this....Point your blame at Vlad and the commission...this is their doing.

Free Agency is going to change the landscape of our game...It is now time for the MFC to get strong...We will not win every battle, but the war must be won. We have no idea what else the MFC has on the table for Tom or other players on our list.

It is not over yet.

Tom will decide.

I don't want to blame anyone I am just sick of the whole process and the time its consuming, the club have had to spend half their media time this year answering questions about will he or won't he rather than promoting the club.

If he leaves then so be it, but for Christ’s sake make a decision and let the club get on with the business of trying to rebuild the team.

I don't want to blame anyone I am just sick of the whole process and the time its consuming, the club have had to spend half their media time this year answering questions about will he or won't he rather than promoting the club.

If he leaves then so be it, but for Christ's sake make a decision and let the club get on with the business of trying to rebuild the team.

Club Business will continue i have no doubt. This process is only time consuming if you do not believe what Scully said in his original presser. That he would deal with it at season's end.

I don't like it either, but i haven't lost any sleep over it, and i don't think the club has suffered.

Quite correct, this Circus has gone on far too long and it's time for Tom to make a call before he starts to look like the Circus Clown.

He can walk away from this with some credibility, either way, if he decides now, but the longer it’s drawn out the more ridiculous he will look. We have both offers on the table, or so it would seem, and it’s time to end the charade; sign or go.

Col Sylvia too, right?

What I think has happened over the bye week is the club has put it's best offer to Tom's management. The club has to continue with signing other players, we can't delay other player contracts due to the uncertainty with Tom.

Col Sylvia too, right?

Oh! Ok I thought that Col was already in talks with the club and that they were negotiating a contract but what, that’s not correct, hes holding off talks until the end of the year as well is he?

Gee I haven’t read about that when and where did you?

Col Sylvia too, right?

And what about Cale Morton - or because we are not sure he is a wanted commodity and he may be bait that we have two completely different rule books ?

Its funny to look at Mike Sheehan who is certain that Scully has already signed but prepared to write an article their has now been an offer tabled.

GWS - 1 mil a year for 5

MFC - 600K

according to the program, Sheehan states MFC have tabled an offer (which is interesting that one hasn;t been done before) and Scully's management has gone to GWS we have heard you are interested what are you prepared to offer.

A few things to note:

* Seems to take away the 'I'll wait to the end of the season to discuss' ( I wonder if MFC offer has brought it forward)

* Maybe he hasn;t had the offer like many of insinuated or maybe this is a media cloud to say he only agreed at the end of the season and didn;t lie and it has really been locked up like Ox and Stevens have conveyed recently

* Also takes away that MFC have tabled their best offer at the start of the year and their was no movement

The Hird deal @ Essendon was agreed to a year earlier than it took place, with all the pieces put in place. The last year of Knights was a charade to achieve certain goals of the new regime under the cloak of secrecy.

Charades go on All the time... and this offer may be another, to make Tom appear better. The Only thing that proves all these speculative thoughts wrong will be if & when tom signs with the Dees.

Gee I haven't read about that when and where did you?

And that is the only point of difference.

An interesting development. I honestly think Scully's earning potential is much greater at Melbourne compared to GWS despite the difference in this initial offer. I wouldn't want the Dee's to pay much more than this offer though, so if this is not enough, then so be it. I think the boy will stay.

And given that this information appears much more credible, I think most of us need to retract some of our assumptions and comments levelled at Tom over this tough journey. It seems the boy has been nothing but honest and transparent the whole time, and many supporters (including me initially) were quick to question him.

Isn't there some MFC member out there from the debt demolishion who needs an 'environmental ambassador' for his company ???about 600k per year I hear!!

Scully is as 'green' as they come. He's been recyclling since he was born!

I honestly think Scully's earning potential is much greater at Melbourne compared to GWS despite the difference in this initial offer.

I have asked this question before and i will ask it again and again I will put in the disclaimer - the kid has said in his presser that it isnt all about money.

Can someone explain this to me ? If the offers are reportedly $2m apart how can anyone say that the earning potential long term is greater at the MFC ???? - this contract will take him to 25 years old - which means he will have to make up $2M in the last approximate 7 years of his football life ???

You are kidding yourself.

If he stays with us I beleive he will have to accept that he will not make as much money over his career at the MFC. As stated above , I am hoping he sees there are more important things than pure dollars and cents.

The extra money can be made beyond his football career as a player, seeing as he will be based in the home of football as opposed to Western Sydney. That said, he could just as easily take the money and return to a Victoria club later on anyway.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/malthouse-a-1m-man-expie-coach-20110711-1haqj.html

Interesting idea from Tony Shaw.

As an exercise, I wonder if posters think it would benefit us more to forget Scully and throw the millions at Mick to come and coach us.

One unproven potential star versus one proven premiership coach and currently the best tactician in the game.

Perhaps we've got our priorities wrong ...

Both would be nice.

As far as I understand what is going on with who met who and when, and who signed what. At the moment[ until Oct 31] Scully cant sign with anybody uther than MFC. This whole GWS thing is only if after that date they offer him a contract.

Who says they will offer him one? I wouldnt if I was them, as I have said before I dont believe they are in anyway interested in him, all smoke and mirrors. We [members] are looking at it the wrong way round, we are looking from a MFC stand point. I suggest we look at it from the GWS viewpoint.

GWS are the suns on time delay[12 months], what formed suns will form gws. They need experienced big bodies, not 20 year old future stars, and they need them now!

Sylvia, Warnock and Bate would all be a good start, cheaper, experienced and able to mix it at AFL level next year not years down the track. I am not saying those players are better than Scully might become but they are what is needed now.

Strangely most will. You're just showing your pettiness and having a dig. See the difference is I wi lhappily say that's exactly what Im doing. Poke..poke..Im having a dig at your supercilliousness .( oops sorry probably above your comprehension levels..isnt it !!)

..and the word is NIAIVE !! something you should be well aquainted with.

You really want to do this? With me?

Ok.

It's NAIVE for starters. And I could do the umlaut if I knew how to do them on here.

And it is supercilious with one 'l'...

Unless you are in to the Urban dictionary, which I doubt.

Comprehension. Jeez...

Many will indeed understand the analogy rpfc. That you seem to need things to be published in some fish-wrapping before you can understand it is a stance of your own volition. Dont expect everyone to do so, some have already awoken and smelt the flowers.

Tom may , or may not leave come seasons end but I certainly dont believe the decision will have been made then. I hope he stays. I hope the club doesnt pay him 5 million ( well not over 5 years ). I hope they can agree to much more appropriate munerations.

Amazing that everyone else can get on with things..

Stilll if nothing else GWS have done us the favour of establishing the level of our compensation.

I may be arrogant but I can have a two and fro with people - a skill you lack.

You must physically reel when you see someone reply to one of your posts...

Tom has done what he said he had done - nothing.

He hadn't signed anything when the jounos believed the sweet nothings in their ears.

He said he would wait toill the end of the season, and now that he has both contracts held by his management he has two months to weigh up what he wants to do.

The MFC should be confident of keeping their man.

I have asked this question before and i will ask it again and again I will put in the disclaimer - the kid has said in his presser that it isnt all about money.

Can someone explain this to me ? If the offers are reportedly $2m apart how can anyone say that the earning potential long term is greater at the MFC ???? - this contract will take him to 25 years old - which means he will have to make up $2M in the last approximate 7 years of his football life ???

You are kidding yourself.

If he stays with us I beleive he will have to accept that he will not make as much money over his career at the MFC. As stated above , I am hoping he sees there are more important things than pure dollars and cents.

This question has been answered before.

The earning capacity that players have aside from their actual paychecks is enormous and in many situations with the league’s top paid players it far exceeds the money they earn from playing. The opportunities that Melbourne will be able to offer will enable Tom to continue earning substantial money for the remainder of his life, not just the remainder of his football career.

I do not know if these same opportunities will exist at GWS, however I doubt it.