The Whipping Boys

Joel Macdonald gets whipped a lot, underrated immensely by peanut supporters. He is tough, courageous and doesn't take a backward step. Very good game last night.

Does he? I haven't noticed that.

As an aside, I think Joel MacDonald is a limited player, but I also think he has some really good attributes. He reads the footy really well in the air and is willing to take the game on when he has the footy. While he probably isn't in my best 22 I don't mind seeing Joel Mac out there.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside, I think Joel MacDonald is a limited player, but I also think he has some really good attributes. He reads the footy really well in the air and is willing to take the game on when he has the footy. While he probably isn't in my best 22 I don't mind seeing Joel Mac out there.

I'll agree, wasn't massively noticeable. Think there was a bit in the third term though where Essendon pushed and he was the one shutting it down rather than Rivers that I do remember well.

His rebound off HB is pretty good, JMac.

bennell and morton both rarely lost one one ones, and although morton dropped a few marks he should have taken had what i believe is nearly his best match, because he was not only accountable for his opponent, but used his tank to outrun many players on the field.

bennell destroyed jetta, jetta couldnt get a sniff, and every time bennell had the ball it looked as though everyone around him stopped and he just ran out of trouble, and his disposal more often than not was precise.

they both had good games, in a match were all melbourne players play well, i hope they can continue this form and continue to take the game on.

bennell and morton both rarely lost one one ones, and although morton dropped a few marks he should have taken had what i believe is nearly his best match, because he was not only accountable for his opponent, but used his tank to outrun many players on the field.

bennell destroyed jetta, jetta couldnt get a sniff, and every time bennell had the ball it looked as though everyone around him stopped and he just ran out of trouble, and his disposal more often than not was precise.

they both had good games, in a match were all melbourne players play well, i hope they can continue this form and continue to take the game on.

I agree, they both played well, for Them. There were good signs of Urgency, not seen before from Morton, why not? Bennell swept well, & also in traffic was nice to see. Still on the short list IMO, for the next 2 months. (fringe)

Edited by dee-luded

I'll agree, wasn't massively noticeable. Think there was a bit in the third term though where Essendon pushed and he was the one shutting it down rather than Rivers that I do remember well.

His rebound off HB is pretty good, JMac.

I was saying that I hadn't noticed him being a whipping boy... :)

There were good signs of Urgency, not sen before from Morton, why not?

I feel Morton will never 'look' urgent , he just donen't have that demeanour on field, and we shouldn't demand it from him. He seemed to be everywhere on Friday, and a channel in the last quarter in a number of link plays, winning one-on-ones and backing back for the contest.

I think he has it, and consistency will show eventually.

I feel Morton will never 'look' urgent , he just donen't have that demeanour on field, and we shouldn't demand it from him. He seemed to be everywhere on Friday, and a channel in the last quarter in a number of link plays, winning one-on-ones and backing back for the contest.

He is finally showing some desire to will contests... but I think it is still important to keep in mind that he will only get better in this aspect as he gets closer and closer to 100kg.

He's currently at 90kg, if he can keep that same running ability and pace, with the added muscle, he could be VERY scary

MFC seems tobe the media's Whipping Boy's in 2011...

When ever something good happens, they bring us down with Tom Scully articals. They can't just let us enjoy the victory/weekend...

FWIW Morton's disposal by hand and foot is still loose. His handball is loopy and his kicking is really suspect if he doesn't have time to balance. Little floaty chip passes or 35 metre passes that float over the target's head. I'm still not convinced he is in the best 22 by any stretch.

He also had trouble gathering the ball. His hands don't seem strong.

FWIW Morton's disposal by hand and foot is still loose. His handball is loopy and his kicking is really suspect if he doesn't have time to balance. Little floaty chip passes or 35 metre passes that float over the target's head. I'm still not convinced he is in the best 22 by any stretch.

He also had trouble gathering the ball. His hands don't seem strong.

Quite right btdemon, whilst his performance was an improvement he has a loooong way still to go.

Guest Artie Bucco

A rare example of "good depth", in fact?

I still don't think he'll be on the list come 2013.

I rate Bennell.......pace and skill are fantastic, and he was very important last night, especially with Grimes and Davey out.

Most impressive was putting Leroy Jetta out of the game. Limited his touches and when he got it, rushed Jetta's touches. Leroy has cut up teams this year.

Provided speed and run which is badly needed in the back half.

I don't think so either, but there's definitely room on the list for him right now (stating the obvious perhaps). He's the sort of player who I'm happy to keep playing but recognise that he'll be passed by someone better eventually.

How can you say that, when he just did start to have some, Urgency, displayed this week. Shows he can, IF He has to!!! Says he''s been getting away with 'Blue Murder' !

We have to demand more of our players! More committment! Not bag the coaches necessarily, but break this cultute of Pedestrian football that started back about 8 Years ago, with cheap kicks being sought around the back pocket...

He is finally showing some desire to will contests... but I think it is still important to keep in mind that he will only get better in this aspect as he gets closer and closer to 100kg.

He's currently at 90kg, if he can keep that same running ability and pace, with the added muscle, he could be VERY scary

It's not size that determines If a players has the desire to impact a game and result. Liberatore didn't sit off the ball.

Morton has played like Bruce for the past 4 Years. This is the first time he has had to w'Work' for his spot. Keep the press - ure on!

It's not size that determines If a players has the desire to impact a game and result. Liberatore didn't sit off the ball.

Morton has played like Bruce for the past 4 Years. This is the first time he has had to w'Work' for his spot. Keep the press - ure on!

Totally agree dee-luded. I watch Cale with interest each time he plays trying to forsee what type of player he will develop into. I am still confused.

I see a young man with good pace, height and a large tank yet I think he could be so much more.

The key elements missing in his game are intensity, lack of attack on the ball and his upper body strength. I have seen no marked increase in muscle definition in Cale in the time he has been at the club (Much like Bruce). What is their thinking in this regard? Are the coaches and fitness staff content with his body makeup? Where do they see him playing a role?

I too would love to see him running off half back using his elite kicking and pace to deliver up forward as well as being able to expose smaller opponents with his height and marking ability. Sadly, right now he would only be a liability back there with the lack of intensity, attack and strength he currently possesses.

I think with some serious hours in the gym he can rectify the strength problem, but the other two just dont seem to be there and without them I am a little lost as to where he fits in our or any side for that matter.

A rare example of "good depth", in fact?

I don't think so either, but there's definitely room on the list for him right now (stating the obvious perhaps). He's the sort of player who I'm happy to keep playing but recognise that he'll be passed by someone better eventually.

Yeah, I agree with both of you.

Everything Morton touched in the first quarter turned to rubbish but he improved a lot once he stopped trying his dinky little fluff kicks all the time. His lack of upper body strength is a massive liability, still a fringe player, needs to hit the gym hard if he is going to be part of the future of the MFC.

agree with this. needs to harden up and look the AFL player. doesn't look like he enjoys the wieghts much.

agree with this. needs to harden up and look the AFL player. doesn't look like he enjoys the wieghts much.

I don't, to use my English vernacular "this is untter tosh", we had a great win and both these players contributed, end of story. As per usual some posters on here can't just be happy with the win.

Exactly, I thought to myself after the game that there would still be people finding every error or problem with players.

We all know that every player can improve, even the elite have defficiencies, but at least give credit where credit is due.

Bennell has shut down 2 important players in the last 2 weeks and has slowly shown more confidence and dash.

Morton showed he has pace, courage and flexibility to play in many positions. I think Cale just needs to be given the confidence to take the game on and play with more instinct to show his skills and attacking mindset, but I think he will be a very valuable member of the team.

I cant wait until they play 5 or 6 good to great games in a row and people then try to jump on their bandwagons.

Bump

Question 1. Is Cale Morton afraid of body contact?

I saw a brief highlight at the ground of Leigh Brown going for a speccy over Macdonald in the final quarter

Morton had the option of putting on physical pressure on Brown to at least keep him on the ground instead let Brown run right past him.

Brown nearly could of killed Macdonald Taking that Mark over him. I know the game was done and dusted but it was very disappointing

Conversely I see Reid down the other end put his body on the line in a marking duel with Trengove and his side is 12 goals up.

The problem is 2 fold.

Unwillingness to work for your mates and protect them.

Not being switched on and committed to team ethos.

It was a poor effort no doubt, and it appeared on TV that Joel Macdonald rightfully told him what he thought about it after it happened. But that was 10 seconds of an otherwise excellent match from Morton, in both the effort and delivery stakes. We all know his weaknesses but it's clear to me that this is being worked on and that progress is being made, and you can't change the complete psychological makeup of a player overnight. It's time to cut the guy some slack.

Guest 36DD

Bump

Question 1. Is Cale Morton afraid of body contact?

I saw a brief highlight at the ground of Leigh Brown going for a speccy over Macdonald in the final quarter

Morton had the option of putting on physical pressure on Brown to at least keep him on the ground instead let Brown run right past him.

Brown nearly could of killed Macdonald Taking that Mark over him. I know the game was done and dusted but it was very disappointing

Conversely I see Reid down the other end put his body on the line in a marking duel with Trengove and his side is 12 goals up.

The problem is 2 fold.

Unwillingness to work for your mates and protect them.

Not being switched on and committed to team ethos.

Didn't even need to provide any body pressure on Brown, just needed time his leap and spoil the ball.

Was rightly dragged afterwards.

Didn't see him get dragged thought he lined up on the wing after the ball came back

for the centre bounce.

Absolutely deserved to be dragged for that.

Overall he had a decent game amongst pretty poor performing side.

But needs to show some concern for his team mates.