"Bruise Free Footy"

frankie_d

This could be the kick we needed. Sad that it has to come this way, but hey I'll take it.

By the way, Melbourne may play "Bruise Free Footy", but imagine if Carlton had to play "Judd free Footy"!! They would be lucky to score!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hangon007

I've got to admit I struggle with this. I was abused by my friends that I went to the game with on Friday night for blasting the team early on when it was clear they were playing like total crap. Being told 'don't be that guy'. But at the same time, with the dross we have been serving up I don't see an alternative.

It is all well and good to boo from the stands, I know, but at the same time I can't sit there idly and watch, say, Morton continue to stuff around with it and make basic errors.

I appreciate your honesty. Many around here will struggle with the concept, I know that. Sadly, few around here accept how hard it is to play AFL football. I never made it, but I have quite a few friends lucky & hard enough workers who have experienced it.

The common thread with all was .. How hard they worked, not about how many times that got it right.

IMHO Melbourne supporters are not prepared to put in the "hard work" ... you get no free rides in AFL football these days you must earn your stripes and whole clubs are scrutinised. We are only 1 of a 16 team competition & as I said elsewhere IMHO the gap is getting wider on so many fronts. Sure compare yourself to North, St Kilda, Bulldogs or who ever you want but there can only be one winner each year and both on & off the field we need to compare yourself with them.

Just a thought!

Guest hangon007

This could be the kick we needed. Sad that it has to come this way, but hey I'll take it.

By the way, Melbourne may play "Bruise Free Footy", but imagine if Carlton had to play "Judd free Footy"!! They would be lucky to score!!

Never a truer word said in jest. Wonder why a Melbourne supporter as a kid would turn his back on our club?

I'm not trying to go over old ground, but obviously the deal was toooo good to refuse (& I'm not only talking about the money) I'm talking about the whole package.

i can just see it happening, melbourne showing a bit of heart with a mellee, and destroying the pretty boys at carlton, although mitch robinson is a tough nut, putting a bullseye on yourself in a team that has the two largest midfielders and a raging bull is quite stupid.

moloney and sylvia will not forget this and both have a knack for laying tackles.

and with tapscott likely to be back, i think robinson may shirk a contest.

having said that he only said what most people are thinking, that we are soft and easily muscled off the ball, which is a very annoying thing to watch, players like morton and bennell flinging themselves to the ground in the tiniest bit of pressure really annoys me.

Correct the amount of time our players were so week with the ball at their feet. They would either overrun it or allow themselves to be pushed off the ball, it was pathetic

Haven't we supposedly had "the kick we needed" after virtually every rd this year. West Coast was meant to be the line in the sand, not the beginning of a swift decay! We're lucky we played Adelaide, Brissy and GC early in the season while they were even worse than us (whichi is mostly no longer the case), otherwise we'd probably be winless by now. Sucks, but it is the cold, hard truth.

I appreciate your honesty. Many around here will struggle with the concept, I know that. Sadly, few around here accept how hard it is to play AFL football. I never made it, but I have quite a few friends lucky & hard enough workers who have experienced it.

The common thread with all was .. How hard they worked, not about how many times that got it right.

IMHO Melbourne supporters are not prepared to put in the "hard work" ... you get no free rides in AFL football these days you must earn your stripes and whole clubs are scrutinised. We are only 1 of a 16 team competition & as I said elsewhere IMHO the gap is getting wider on so many fronts. Sure compare yourself to North, St Kilda, Bulldogs or who ever you want but there can only be one winner each year and both on & off the field we need to compare yourself with them.

Just a thought!

17 (soon to be 18) teams, but yes.

And I know I suffer from the delusion of watching on high and assuming that because you can see the option the player can too. But at the same time, simple things (see: Warnock dropping that mark) that are failed is what raises my ire.

As for the supporters, I agree. The whole supporter base has in its nature a level of 'free riding' because of the huge proportion of MCC members who are MFC supporters. While I do understand that a lot of people do buy both, there has been a seeping effect where that has led from the club struggling due to low membership (cos everyone was in the MCC instead) to the 'giving up and going to the snow' of QBD based around the MCC reputation. It's a tag that continues to stick. While I know as well as anybody from sitting with the scum on the top tier of the GSS on QBD that it's not true, it does stem from the reality that in another era, the MCC members were simply willing to bandwagon the club for its victories but when times got tough they evaporated because the team was losing.

(Sorry if that sounds somewhat wrong - I'm trying to get at the cultural idea rather than target any specific person, just wanted to clarify before anyone comes in and tries to tear me a new one)

Guest 36DD

Not accurate.

In my opinion it is very accurate. There were concerns over his appointment in the "football fraternity" given his inability to "win his own ball" and inspire team-mates. The manner in which he has played this season has been less than you would expect from a captain. I feel that he is playing out of position and is better suited as a permanent forward who can "pinch hit" in the midfield. Despite this, no tackles in the first two rounds of the season and no tackles recently against North.

I have also seen him do some things on the football field which aren't what you expect from a captain. Failing to run over and congratulate Petterd after kicking the crucial first goal against of the 3rd quarter against Adelaide, he simply turned around and ran back to the wing. Twice during the match he had the opportunity to bring other players into the game and didn't they being Petterd and Bate.

Green has been a great servant of the club, a skillful and courageous footballer, however, he is not a captain unfortunately.

In my opinion it is very accurate. There were concerns over his appointment in the "football fraternity" given his inability to "win his own ball" and inspire team-mates. The manner in which he has played this season has been less than you would expect from a captain. I feel that he is playing out of position and is better suited as a permanent forward who can "pinch hit" in the midfield. Despite this, no tackles in the first two rounds of the season and no tackles recently against North.

I have also seen him do some things on the football field which aren't what you expect from a captain. Failing to run over and congratulate Petterd after kicking the crucial first goal against of the 3rd quarter against Adelaide, he simply turned around and ran back to the wing. Twice during the match he had the opportunity to bring other players into the game and didn't they being Petterd and Bate.

Green has been a great servant of the club, a skillful and courageous footballer, however, he is not a captain unfortunately.

I agree.

I'm not wrong often but when I gave Green the faint praise of being the best of adequate group of leaders, and that he will be a fine captain - I was wrong.

He isn't a leader of men and it shows.

The sad thing is he isn't even trying to fake it...

Guest Artie Bucco

Sadly, I agree.

I'd replace him with Moloney at season's end.

To do it now would draw too much focus for not enough benefit.

Not sure how long Green has left, either.

His best performances this year have been decidedly average.

Probably get some negative comments, but I am going to put it out there and say that we will beat the blues in Rnd 20. Also that Beamer runs through Robinson at the same time Tappy comes from the other way - and he snaps in half :lol:

So what do you have to say about Evans and Nicholson who were playing their second and first game against the Blues, they had their head over the ball?

It's not the underdeveloped kids who are the problem, Scully, Trengove, Tapscott, McKenzie, Bail, Evans, Nicholson etc are the kids who lead the way it's just a pity the leaders don't follow them.

Once again I blame the recruiters who have selected soft, talented, respectable players at the expense of players like Darling who may be a bit flawed of character but will win you games with their hardness.

robbieF i have been saving for some time that we seem to recruit mainly Choir boy types and guess what they play that way.

As you say it would not matter how good Darling was we would not have picked him.

We need a few un socialable Hawthorn types.

Unfortunately in the current era the lot we have now cannot be changed very quickly so I hope we have a couple in the untried group

Who will run the shortest distance to the ball and not run around waiting for someone to pass it to them.

A great coach can change the culture of a club. Egotistical, self-obsessed, arrogant, ruthless and brilliant. Damn it if we don't need these qualities at the Melbourne Football Club if we're going to break this 40-year culture of crapness you speak about.

Winning qualities from great leaders, coaches and teachers permeate down through the ranks. It's just a fact of life that it all starts at the top.

Mick Malthouse. For the life of me I don't like that guy. Nasty, bristling, rude smart-azz of a man. But in another league as a football coach and motivator of men.

We'll never get anywhere without someone of that calibre.

Oh, I think we need this guy! http://en.wikipedia....ecker%27_Hughes

F.V. "Checker" Hughes became Melbourne's coach in 1933, and under his leadership the club entered a golden age. In 1933, the club changed its moniker to the "Demons".

In 1939, 1940 and 1941 Melbourne won its third, fourth and fifth flags.

We've gone back to this, pre 'checker' MCC way! We had to get checkeer to change us. And he past the lineage to Norm Smith, & he passed it too Ron Barassi Jnr... Those that Ended Norm's reign ended the lineage (DNA titude) an took the clubs back to Fuscias. As it was before Checker. That Fuscia atitude still purvades happily in the Northern Stand today...

fuschia.jpgInstead of this halloween_demons_292.gif

Guest Thomo

With the benefit of hindsight, Green may not be the best choice, but he was the best person for the job when appointed. Best player, most experienced, courageous, can play anywhere on the field, in the leadership group, received the club leadership award. He may not be doing a great job right now, but it seemed like a no brainer to most people at the time, much more obvious that when McDonald was chosen.

A great coach can change the culture of a club. Egotistical, self-obsessed, arrogant, ruthless and brilliant. Damn it if we don't need these qualities at the Melbourne Football Club if we're going to break this 40-year culture of crapness you speak about.

Winning qualities from great leaders, coaches and teachers permeate down through the ranks. It's just a fact of life that it all starts at the top.

Mick Malthouse. For the life of me I don't like that guy. Nasty, bristling, rude smart-azz of a man. But in another league as a football coach and motivator of men.

We'll never get anywhere without someone of that calibre.

I think your asking for the same thing. Malthouse does not coach Hard rugged sides, he may inherit one, but he does not build them.

Roos has harder sides, And Matthews has much more Rugged teams, as did Sheedy. I'd rather have Roos or Matthews as Manager overseeing our Matchday Coach & line coaches.

Much like Graeme Richmond did with Tom Hafey.

Early this year in the second quarter of the game against Hawthorn, we were all over them and had hit the front, then, at the 25 minute mark with 5 minutes to go they kicked a point. Davey took the kick in and put the ball above his to signal tempo/slow down which suited Hawthorn right down to the ground, it was if we'd scored what we needed for the quarter and should just consolidate from there. Hawthorn was happy with this and they just played kick to kick for the next five minutes till the quarter ended.

My point is we had them on the ropes at that time but in typical Melbourne fashion we thought we'd done enough for the quarter and had a rest when we should have been all over them right up to the siren. When a side relaxes the other side knows it and will go for the jugular, and when that happens it's hard to get back on top. The players should have continued attacking, instead we stopped, and the rest is history. I don't know if we would have done any better in the third term but it told Hawthorn that we are easily pleased and as they found out easily beaten.

That moment has set the tone for the season hasn't it. A complete change of Tempo....we put the flag up against a good side, and they smelt blood.

I really wish that last 5 minutes of that 2nd Quarter against Hawthorn could be played again...with the same intensity we played against the Swans during the last 5 minutes of the game Round 1.

Season defining sadly.

As I said yesterday, we have issues we need to address and we certainly need to lift our intensity and contested footy, but for a deadshit like Robinson (and who the f' is Armatige, please!) to come out and publicly say things like that, is a disgrace.

Both are ordinary players, who will never reach the heights Brad Green has achieved in his career, and both should focus on their own careers instead of worrying about our club. We've done just fine without their opinions for 150 years.

Can't wait for someone to iron out that absolute loser Robinson come round 20. Plenty of Carlton supporters I know would be delighted too.

As I said yesterday, we have issues we need to address and we certainly need to lift our intensity and contested footy, but for a deadshit like Robinson (and who the f' is Armatige, please!) to come out and publicly say things like that, is a disgrace.

Both are ordinary players, who will never reach the heights Brad Green has achieved in his career, and both should focus on their own careers instead of worrying about our club. We've done just fine without their opinions for 150 years.

Can't wait for someone to iron out that absolute loser Robinson come round 20. Plenty of Carlton supporters I know would be delighted too.

Totally agree with what you say, but i also agree with what the 2 Carlscum boys said.

That is a massive kick up the ass that this club needs. IF we are a proud club then this Friday will be somewhat like the Troy Broadbridge game.

Our whole club is involved...How hard is our captain??? We shall find out.

Because if they do not respond with fire & passion for the games entirety then this club & what it stands for are in serious trouble.

How often have you heard opposition players make comments like that??? We must take those words very seriously from now on, not just this friday either.

Oh, I think we need this guy! http://en.wikipedia....ecker%27_Hughes

F.V. "Checker" Hughes became Melbourne's coach in 1933, and under his leadership the club entered a golden age. In 1933, the club changed its moniker to the "Demons".

In 1939, 1940 and 1941 Melbourne won its third, fourth and fifth flags.

We've gone back to this, pre 'checker' MCC way! We had to get checkeer to change us. And he past the lineage to Norm Smith, & he passed it too Ron Barassi Jnr... Those that Ended Norm's reign ended the lineage (DNA titude) an took the clubs back to Fuscias. As it was before Checker. That Fuscia atitude still purvades happily in the Northern Stand today...

Not sure if the you mean the MFC members in the Northern Stand or the MCC Members. If you mean the MCC members, well:

1. Any that support the Dees and aren't member of the MFC should be ashamed --- worse than weak. Won't put the $ where their heart is;

2. I confess to sitting in "The Members" (I'm a paid up MFC member);

3. The blokes I sit with are NOT HAPPY - the image of The Members quietly intoning "well done, number 4" (thinking it's John Lord) is crap;

4. I agree that we are "divided" geographically at the MCC, and, on reflection, I will sit with the MFC crew, and I should have been sitting there for many years (many many).

5. And we just might start a movement - The "Get Out Of The Members, Pay Your fskcing MFC Dues, And Sit/Stand/Yell Where You Should" movement.

I think you mean Armfield, and he looks likely.

There doing us a favour really.

They've stirred things up a bit, thats good.

Not sure if the you mean the MFC members in the Northern Stand or the MCC Members. If you mean the MCC members, well:

1. Any that support the Dees and aren't member of the MFC should be ashamed --- worse than weak. Won't put the $ where their heart is;

2. I confess to sitting in "The Members" (I'm a paid up MFC member);

3. The blokes I sit with are NOT HAPPY - the image of The Members quietly intoning "well done, number 4" (thinking it's John Lord) is crap;

4. I agree that we are "divided" geographically at the MCC, and, on reflection, I will sit with the MFC crew, and I should have been sitting there for many years (many many).

5. And we just might start a movement - The "Get Out Of The Members, Pay Your fskcing MFC Dues, And Sit/Stand/Yell Where You Should" movement.

Youve totally Missed the 'Gist'. I'm saying that people go to the members in the MCC & afiliates to be near successfull people. to rub shoulders, to get ahead. I'm not tarring all our members with this. But what I am saying is the Culture that eminates out of there since the Sixties is one of failure.

I'm suggesting the 'Old Breed', that got along with the likes of Checker Hughes & Norm Smith were winners, (the administrators). Then the world was changing through the sixties and the new attitude is the one that 'GOT' Norm Smith... Barassi walked around that Era, and the Demon attitude was killed by the New Broom attitude in the place. The successfull cricketers the Vics had like Lawry & Redpath, seemed to wane as well through this period, with the Odd exception. Where did the Vic Teams go during this era and what did they Win?

I'm saying I think that our players are made to think they're champs when they're Not. That they stop developing into Hardened competitors because of Hob Nobbing with the polite backslappers who help them 'Feel' like they've Made It.

Compound this with the poor facilities we endured after the MCC threw Barass & the MFC off the MCG playing/training surface, & sent us too the Junction Oval, with next to No facilities. And still had to get of the cricket wicket.

The poor performances & politically correct 'Softness', starts with the Northern Stand. Not with the general Demons supporter or member.

Edited by dee-luded