Who has impressed you this year?

bjDee

If MFC was awarding "Best First Year Player" now: Tapscott

If MFC was awarding "Most Improved Player in 2011" now: hard to choose between Watts, Bail and Martin. Probably Watts.

I still reckon the best thing the coaching staff have done for Watts' development this year was to make him the sub for the Suns game. Some here didn't like it, but it immediately struck me as a good wake up call for a young player with a reputation for the social life, but without any runs on the board as yet. It seems to have taught Jack to take nothing for granted - #1 pick or not. Knocked a bit of reality, even humility into his head. That was the match before we played West Coast, where JW was one of only a couple of decent performers for MFC. He has kept up the tenacity ever since.

Remember the frustration of sitting on the pine Jack and keep using it to drive your way into the team's regular top players list.

I still reckon the best thing the coaching staff have done for Watts' development this year was to make him the sub for the Suns game. Some here didn't like it, but it immediately struck me as a good wake up call for a young player with a reputation for the social life, but without any runs on the board as yet. It seems to have taught Jack to take nothing for granted - #1 pick or not. Knocked a bit of reality, even humility into his head. That was the match before we played West Coast, where JW was one of only a couple of decent performers for MFC. He has kept up the tenacity ever since.

Remember the frustration of sitting on the pine Jack and keep using it to drive your way into the team's regular top players list.

Watts is definitely a big positive this year. Now, before the sceptics jump up and down saying that we are accepting mediocrity if we are excitied abouts Watts' games, all I wanted was to see improvement from JW this year, and that's what I'm getting. He's probably improved a little bit more than I hoped, especially over the past month.

For the first time in his career, Jack has the right to go in to the preseason with great confidence and knowledge that he belongs. If he can have a big preseason, increases that weight/muscle, I think the 2012 season will be quite an exciting one.

I love the kid, and watch him very closely. The one thing that has stood out for me over the past month is his potential to be a true leader, and the possibility of the Captains Tag quite realistic.

On another topic, it's amazing the amount of individual players that have been listed in this thread, and how many people are saying that they didn't expect player X to take that next step. Natural development or good coaching? The biggest issue of the coach for mine is the fact that we generally have 22 individuals running out each week, and when they play that way, the team breaks down. When the 22 run out with a team mindset, the slaughter their opposition. I've said it 100's of times, I'm not fussed about our game plan (or lack of press as some would prefer to highlight), I'm confident we can create our own premiership winning game plan, and will have other teams copying us. Not playing for each other is inexcusable.

I love the way Stef Martin has stepped up, and really taken on the responsibility of being number 1 ruck with the Russian out.

Great improvement, and says a lot about the man..........great work Stef!

Throughout my many many years of watching the MFC, I can remember relatively few players have had an impact from their first game. Adem Yze for instance took a season or so to settle into the side (excuse the alliteration) and Russell Robertson was in and out of the seniors for a few years before settling into permanency.

Luke Tapscott appears - at this stage - to be one of the few who felt comfortable on the big stage from the moment his feet hit the turf at the "G"!

And even more so when his shoulder hit Rhyce Shaw in his first game!

Luke Tapscott has certainly impressed me this year!

Watts and Martin have dun good too.

Throughout my many many years of watching the MFC, I can remember relatively few players have had an impact from their first game. Adem Yze for instance took a season or so to settle into the side (excuse the alliteration) and Russell Robertson was in and out of the seniors for a few years before settling into permanency.

Luke Tapscott appears - at this stage - to be one of the few who felt comfortable on the big stage from the moment his feet hit the turf at the "G"!

And even more so when his shoulder hit Rhyce Shaw in his first game!

Luke Tapscott has certainly impressed me this year!

Watts and Martin have dun good too.

I know he's only played a handful of games, and he looks to have a long career ahead of him, but geez I'd love to see him on a half forward flank/rotating through the middle, rather than playing that kick-out role in the back line.

Be patient little one!

Edited by billy2803

I know he's only played a handful of games, and he looks to have a long career ahead of him, but geez I'd love to see him on a half forward flank/rotating through the middle, rather than playing that kick-out role in the back line.

One more reason it would be so good to see Strauss step up into the defensive-kicker role.

Be patient little one!

One more reason it would be so good to see Strauss step up into the defensive-kicker role.

For you guys. He hasn't received too much encouragement on these boards. Some here have said he'll never make it. He has copped abuse on here from his origins of education. Unwarranted and irrelevant crud IMO.

Saturday just gone at Werribee, I saw this kid look lively, very accountable (an improvement on previous observations), ruthless spoils, and sublime left and right foot kicks hitting their destination targets on leads, some out wide, some presenting direct. And good communication to his fellow backs. I'd be very disappointed and surprised if this kid Strauss, didn't make it.

Stay tuned.

For you guys. He hasn't received too much encouragement on these boards. Some here have said he'll never make it. He has copped abuse on here from his origins of education. Unwarranted and irrelevant crud IMO.

Saturday just gone at Werribee, I saw this kid look lively, very accountable (an improvement on previous observations), ruthless spoils, and sublime left and right foot kicks hitting their destination targets on leads, some out wide, some presenting direct. And good communication to his fellow backs. I'd be very disappointed and surprised if this kid Strauss, didn't make it.

Stay tuned.

That is very good to hear, clearly we need players of his ilk.

Stay tuned.

I like what you are saying HT

Lets hope the improvement continues. God knows we need some classy kicking skills.

Stef Martin, has been close to the most improved player all year. At this stage would easily win Most Improved player end of year.

Trengove had been great until suspension. This kid will be a star for us.

Tapscott. Love his hardness and bullish attitude. Good to see some grunt coming through.

Watts has really taken his game to another level this year. Starting to show confidence and belief in his own ability. Even though many still knock him on here I love what I see from him. He reads the play so well and his possesions are class. The amount of unrewarded running this kid does shows his endevour and work rate.

Jones has been solid, improved his disposal.

Gysberts has been able to flourish with Scully and Trengove being unable to play. Like what I see from this kid. Don't know what it is but reminds me of a young Pendlebury.

A lot of people are still knocking Sylvia, but I reckon he's been one of our more consistant senior performers this year too.

Rivers has been solid down back too.

Stay tuned.

I think billy was talking about Tapscott.

Anyhow, good to hear that Strauss is playing well at Casey.

He could release Tapscott further up the ground, if that's what you were getting at.

Tapscott and Martin have been the two. They've been our two finds so far this year. Martin still needs to improve be a good number 1 and a worthwhile number 2, but he's at least proved to be a good backup number 1/not a useless second option. Probably a bit harsh on Gysberts, but I expected him to have the talent after watching him last year.

Maric had an impressive preseason, which has made him more useful come match day, but he hasn't found any consistency to show he can make it long term.

Gawn, Evans, Nicholson and Tom McDonald have impressed me at VFL level (although I'm going more on what I saw preseason combined with others reports). Wouldn't declare any of them as regular fixtures of the future yet, but by the end of the year we might be able to be confident on a few of them.

Of the senior core I think after a slow start Jones stepped it up pretty well. Still makes a few errors but he seems willing to get the best out of himself regardless of the state of the match.

Sylvia, Jamar, Garland, Watts, Trengove, Moloney I think are all playing well, but not outside the expectations each should have on themselves. Credit to Jamar for been such a work horse.

If they both come one, Tappy and Strauss, then I'd be happy for them both to play defence. They're both a good size, giving them flexibility, and really damaging kicks. We need to get those good kicks into our defence to help move the ball. Better than having Warnock, Bartram and Rivers kicking the ball to each other!

He could release Tapscott further up the ground, if that's what you were getting at.

Yeah, I was. I think HT was saying that if Strauss can consolidate, it should free Bull up to move forward.

If they both come one, Tappy and Strauss, then I'd be happy for them both to play defence. They're both a good size, giving them flexibility, and really damaging kicks. We need to get those good kicks into our defence to help move the ball. Better than having Warnock, Bartram and Rivers kicking the ball to each other!

Yeah, Rogue I wanted to include billy as part of that discussion in relation to Tapscott on an optional forward flank. If Strauss does fulfil a role required down back.

AoB agree regarding good size and flexibility.

I made note this morning of what our back six could be in the 'medium term'(as I usually do from time to time; I'm sure we all do occassionally) and had something like this:

B: Strauss Davis Garland

HB: Rivers Frawley Tapscott

*Not forgetting Grimes & Bartram, or even Blease.

ie. Grimes could go half back (or possible rotating mid) and push Tapscott to a forward flank. Bartram possible negating role if Strauss fills the shoes down back. Blease still an unknown for me; wing/halfback option (bruise-free outside mid option)..

On Davis from MFC website:

Tall defender from Geelong Grammar who caught the eye in 2010 with his improved pace and strength. His speed will be a bonus for the Demons and fans can expect natural improvement from him after a full pre-season.

I made mention of Davis in the Willi v Casey thread: This kid impressed me for size, speed. But what I didn't mention was he appeared really switched on and looked hungry to be involved. I believe it was his first game in the seniors, so he may have been a kid in a 'lolly shop', but to me he fit right in. Don't be surprised if we see him sooner rather than later.

Rogue/Nasher, to add to the Warnock discussion on the changes thread, if Warnock was dropped for tomorrow night, the only option I see as a replacement would be if a re-shuffle happened down back and Strauss would come in.