Lynden Dunn

nutbean

Read my post again, then me where I specifically referred to rpfc.

I was referring to the 'Changes for next week' thread that appears every week, where every second poster wants Dunn dropped. Thankfully, our football department is not so stupid.

As for what rpfc alleges though, I disagree entirely with allegations of shirked contests and the like. Likewise, our football department doesn't see it.

I keep a close eye on Lyndon and had initial high hopes but I have not seen what others have seen and I don't see him in our forward line long term.

Jurrah will play FF, whether we want him to or not - the players will kick it to him regardless of who is in a better position.

Jamar or Martin (or any ruck) will play in a pocket on most occasions and be that deep threat.

Wonaeamirri and Jurrah will harass the backmen and fight to keep it in. Petterd would help them if he makes the team.

Watts will play as a lead up CHF.

That leaves Green, Dunn, Petterd, and any resting mids to fit into the remaining forward spots.

As mentioned before - I believe Petterd's harrassing is superior to Dunn's and they both 'play' the same height despite Dunn being a few inches taller.

Just don't see enough from him to suggest he will keep his place...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And whilst you are at it - lets get rid of all taggers - lets let Swan run free - just make our mids get more kicks than he does so he has to worry about us. What is the difference between the Bombers last year and this year ? The emphasis on defense.

Sorry to disappoint but it is not new age football science - it is the way the game is played. So much attack is now created from the back half that all teams at some stage use a defensive forward to try and shut down that drive. Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Dunn play on Heath Shaw twice last year and negate his set up play from the back ?

i know fully well how fotball is played. Or should be. There is far to much emphasis placed by theorists on forwards playing a defensive game. Football 101 ..aka the KISS principle sugests if youre doing youre job properly then its the oppsoition that ought to be concerned not you. If you are failing in OFFENCE then all you defensive guf is really for nought for your not doing the job you ought to be and thats being an effective forward. i.e the emphasis should always be for a forward on attack. If hes 'defending' his turf then hes really got it all arse about.

As some are suggesting - I'd take more notice of this:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/111963/default.aspx

Lynden Dunn: Lynden played a really good role for the team. He controlled Nathan Bock for much of the match, but the real strength of Lynden’s game was that he was strong in his position.

btw - some other whipping boys:

Jamie Bennell: Jamie was fantastic on the wing. He provided great rebound and attack inside 50. He also spread well, which helped us move the ball out of our defensive 50. Jamie’s positioning on the wing was very good and he played his game well.

Nathan Jones: Nathan had a really good game. His positioning off the wing was fantastic and the way he ran and carried the ball was strong. It was another good display from Jonesy.

Cale Morton: Cale was good on the wing. He was good away from the stoppages and in general play. His positioning was good and he continued to step-up in his second game back for the season. He also kicked three goals.

Jack Watts: When Jack came on for Liam Jurrah, as a substitute he quickly ran around and got involved. He was good with his physicality and did a few good things for the time he was on the ground.

i know fully well how fotball is played. Or should be. There is far to much emphasis placed by theorists on forwards playing a defensive game. Football 101 ..aka the KISS principle sugests if youre doing youre job properly then its the oppsoition that ought to be concerned not you. If you are failing in OFFENCE then all you defensive guf is really for nought for your not doing the job you ought to be and thats being an effective forward. i.e the emphasis should always be for a forward on attack. If hes 'defending' his turf then hes really got it all arse about.

How long is the beard Rumple?

How long is the beard Rumple?

hey old man... just explain where what i said was wrong instead of glib remarks...are you capable of that in between taking your meds ??

Give and you will get ...capische

hey old man... just explain where what i said was wrong instead of glib remarks...are you capable of that in between taking your meds ??

Give and you will get ...capische

How about this

There is far to much emphasis placed by theorists on forwards playing a defensive game.

I am figuring if you ask 17 coaches of AFL today they would comment

We place great emphasis on forwards having a strong defensive side to their game

I just think that your football 101 is football 101 circa 1980. The two powerhouses last year (Saints and Pies) both had demands that their forwards were defensively minded and Essendon great start to the season is being put down the defensive mindset of the whole team that was missing under Knights.

Liam Jurrah: Liam was lively up forward and kicked three goals, but he must continue to attack the ball and present. He also needs to keep working on his forward pressure.

Edited by old55

Glad you brought up the big Neita - perfect example of how the game has changed and why Dunn is in the team. Over Neitz's 300 plus games he laid less than a tackle a game. Fantastic player and goal kicker but would have had to add another dimension to his game if he was to play now - defense. My only criticism of the big boy ( and dont get me wrong - most of the greats of the time - except Jason Dunstall) is letting the ball out of the forward line with way too much ease - different time - different game.

To me Chris Dawes is the new breed of forward - almost averaging two goals a game and ferocious defensively.

so you agree dunn doesn't do enough since he doesn't average two goals a game like chris dawes?

How about this

There is far to much emphasis placed by theorists on forwards playing a defensive game.

I am figuring if you ask 17 coaches of AFL today they would comment

We place great emphasis on forwards having a strong defensive side to their game

I just think that your football 101 is football 101 circa 1980. The two powerhouses last year (Saints and Pies) both had demands that their forwards were defensively minded and Essendon great start to the season is being put down the defensive mindset of the whole team that was missing under Knights.

yes...have a defensive side to their game.. no argument...but thats augemtning their role.. The idea is a forward ought to worry the backs not the other way around .. That plain and simple is the logic of the game.. if you are focussing on your defensive game at teh expense of your attackign game your 3/5 of 2/3 of f-ing useless.

You are a forward to kick goals not bother the backman

Say hello Cameron Mooney - twice ! ( well actually thrice). Coaches see different things in players then obviously we do.

Mooney was never afraid of a serious contest. Very little ball left his area easily.

Liam Jurrah: Liam was lively up forward and kicked three goals, but he must continue to attack the ball and present. He also needs to keep working on his forward pressure.

He also needs to contest at marking opportunities even when he can't simply fly from behind.

so you agree dunn doesn't do enough since he doesn't average two goals a game like chris dawes?

So if you are happy with Dawes like I am - Dawes 30 goals last year from 20 games, Dunn - 26 goals from 18. This year both have played four games - Dunn 7 goals and Dawes 11 goals. Their 2010's were remarkably similar. Dawes output this year has been much better as opposed to Dunn's especially in his tackling.

(Would rather have Dawes as I think he will be a genuine A grader as opposed to Dunn who still has the potential to be more than handy)

Mooney was never afraid of a serious contest. Very little ball left his area easily.

Nailed it in one - There is where we differ and there is a gulf in opinion on this site. I do see Dunn playing in front and making the contest and working hard defensively ( except against Hawks where the whole team was insipid for periods of the game). I dont think he has recaptured the highs of his 2010 season ( as havent a few others) but I see him working hard. This is the way coaches are reading it ( if you place any store on their player review).

Its obvious others see it differently.

this can all be put in the glass half empty/half full category. Some rate a forward by the wonder-effect of defensive pressure.. others look to what hes actually doing with it. i.e the ball..or efforts to get it. etc. In Basics Dunn doesntdo enough to get it..or then do something with it. He puffs that chest buts lets a bit of the game go past him. I think many a printed appraisal from the coaches flatters him somewhat.

Dunn isnt Mooneys bootlace ( unfortunately ), happy for him to morph in that direction though.

Both Dawes and Mooney are types that exhibit a bit more mongrel and desperation ( intensity, application call it what you like ) than Dunn. Again he could look at those and learn.

Read my post again, then tell me where I specifically referred to rpfc.

I was referring to the 'Changes for next week' thread that appears every week, where every second poster wants Dunn dropped. Thankfully, our football department is not so stupid.

As for what rpfc alleges though, I disagree entirely with allegations of shirked contests and the like. Likewise, our football department doesn't see it.

The shirked contests, are mostly,, behind him.

Nailed it in one - There is where we differ and there is a gulf in opinion on this site. I do see Dunn playing in front and making the contest and working hard defensively ( except against Hawks where the whole team was insipid for periods of the game). I dont think he has recaptured the highs of his 2010 season ( as havent a few others) but I see him working hard. This is the way coaches are reading it ( if you place any store on their player review).

Its obvious others see it differently.

Watch him back into a contest, watch closely.

You corrected me because I was wrong ! (glad I put the disclaimer in).

He certainly has a purple patch towards the end of the year which is what we should judge him for - if you compare his 18 games last year against his 4 this year - he is tracking about the same ( two less disposals but a slightly higher mark and goal rate). The interesting one is his tackle count is down so that does indicate that he is not going hard enough as he did last year.

Dunn was on a form Incline over the last 18 months, a slow incline, but mid last year he was On the Improve. It was great to see.

This year he needs to move towards being the more senior player he now is, so it has been disappointing to see he hasn't Led the way. But, he is slowly warming into some form following the teams formline.

IMO, he needs to become a leader who dictates good formline for the team.

I'm going to assume you guys are taking the [censored], it's easier to believe than the alternative ...

All teams have defensive and attacking backmen - some gun backmen like Scarlett and Frawley can be both at once. Defensive backmen play on attacking forwards like Jurrah who kick goals. Jurrah does have an obligation to pay defensive regard to his opponent, especially if they're a gun. The attacking backs used to take the weakest attacking forward, play off them, rely on coverage from the defensive backs who outnumber the forwards and provide heaps of drive from the backline. In the recent decade or so, possibly while you were napping, coaches started playing defensive forwards on the attacking backs. These defensive forwards' primary job is to nullify that attacking backman and it's a bonus if they provide attack themselves, in fact that helps them nullify the attacking back by making him more accountable, that's Dunn's role. Jurrah attacking, some defensive. Dunn defensive, some attacking.

Edited by old55

Someone ..or all answer me this WHy would you have 2 attacking forward and a defensive forward if you could have 3 attacking forwards who were a pain in the butt for an opponents backline ? By negating your ferocity by dedicating more eforts to defendingh the forward line than utilising better attacking forwards you are al but conceding the game. Football is very much between the ears.. Taking an overly defensive stance is playing a negative game.

I await

Early on, Mooney frequently got nabbed for indiscretions that cost him games... I'm pleased that Dunn has tempered the aggression that got him into strife in his junior years. By the way, Dunn is currently second on the "marks" list and the "goals" table for MFC. That seems to indicate that he is pulling his weight.

Early on, Mooney frequently got nabbed for indiscretions that cost him games... I'm pleased that Dunn has tempered the aggression that got him into strife in his junior years. By the way, Dunn is currently second on the "marks" list and the "goals" table for MFC. That seems to indicate that he is pulling his weight.

its fallicsious to use our selves as the real benchmark. Size him up against like players through the league.

I say this for at times some players have poled well even in teh Bluey and quite frankly by the games standards they werent much chop.

How is done doing as a AFL player against his peeers...not the MFC.. its a bit like calling your wife beautifull...she may well be but youre sure as sh!t going to be biased

Our future forward line (2014) will hopefully look something like this

F: Jurrah(AA) Watts(AA) Lawrence

HF: Petterd Cook Wonaeamirri

If it does then we've recruited really well.

A stab at the rest

C: Blease(AA) Trengove(AA,Brownlow)) Morton(AA)

HB: Nicholson Frawley(AA) Tapscott(AA)

B: Garland Martin McKenzie

R: Gawn Scully(AA) Viney(AA)

I: Evans, Gysberts(AA), Sylvia(Norm Smith Medal), Bennell(S)

Edited by Roost It

Guest Gotzy15

I said this in another post yesterday. Dunny is very very important to our structures. I rattled off some of his very impressive stats from a few games in the latter part of last year in that post and i will concede that so far this year he hasnt quite delivered on what we may have expected.However hes still averaging close to 15 disposals and 2 goals a game and i feel hes presented well and applied good forward pressure. I believe his role in the team is the defensive forward role similar to the one Andrew McQualter played so well for St Kilda in 2009/10. Lets not jump on Dunnys back and give him some time to recapture some of that form from last year. I would love to see himself and Petterd in the same forward line with Jurrah, Greeny and Aussie. I think that gives us a really good balance especially if Russian can push forward on his 'coffee breaks' and take a few big grabs.