Time To Get Tough

Jerry Lundergard

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it on good authority that Scully has been concerned with the drinking culture at Melb, which is one of the reasons he left the China trip early.

I suspect that this culture prevails at many clubs, but I hear enough about Melbourne and players such as Watts, to wonder if anyone senior at Melbourne is getting their message through.

That was not the reason why Tom was not on the trip

That was not the reason why Tom was not on the trip

One was his Sister being ill and the other was his lack of enjoyment in what was largely a [censored] up. I know what I know.

Crawford was just quizzed on the Sunday Footy Show about his article and he stood by his claims. Without 'naming names', he said in addition to a couple of the older types like Moloney and Sylvia, "some of the younger players" were among those he was hearing negative things about.

He went out of his way to say he wasn't potting Melbourne as he likes the way we are going about our rebuild, but he clearly intimated that there's a bit of a party boy clique at the club who get out on it more than they should.

The way he said it, you could tell he knows something.

Very disappointing.

This is not great innuendo. Or at least I hope it is mainly that as I wouldn't know otherwise. Geelong and Collingwood have had similar concerns over the journey and come out ok, have they not?

I'm not really sure this speculation would be far removed from the goings on at other clubs?

This is not great innuendo. Or at least I hope it is mainly that as I wouldn't know otherwise. Geelong and Collingwood have had similar concerns over the journey and come out ok, have they not?

I'm not really sure this speculation would be far removed from the goings on at other clubs?

Not great innuendo no but I think Crawford's question - about what Moloney's punishment at Collingwood or Hawthorn would have been - has validity.

The thought that our high draft picks are out there partying like rockstars, quite obviously with the approval and encouragement of our leaders, is a worry.

Not great innuendo no but I think Crawford's question - about what Moloney's punishment at Collingwood or Hawthorn would have been - has validity.

The thought that our high draft picks are out there partying like rockstars, quite obviously with the approval and encouragement of our leaders, is a worry.

Our players are out there partying like rock starts, be it with or without the approval of the leaders of the club. Every single club in the AFL has the issue and every code in the world does.

It bother's me how much people put their heads in the sand on this issue. Scully IMO opinion would be the only Melbourne player not to have had a night on the beers since the season started and I think you're naive if you disagree.

and carlton

Any article that lights a firecracker under the backsides of the leadership of Melbourne footballers at the moment is welcome.

I would put down our poor start to the season, (and I maintain that it has been a very poor start) to poor on field leadership. I'm not prepared to make judgements about what happens off the field.

Ironically Moloney has been by far the best on field leader at playing against the tide. Green, Sylvia and Davey need to lift when the chips are down.

Forget game plans, poor skills, team balance etc. it has been the lack of intensity for large portions of games that has me the most concerned. Intensity at the football, intensity in running and demanding the footy, tackling, and marking contests.

We look like a team that is playing with a lot of fear. Fear of failure, fear of making mistakes. It is up the the coaches and more-so the on-field leadership to get us back on course otherwise we are in for a very painful season.

Looking forward to Crawfords next article about Hawthorns culture. Bit worse than a drink or three.

Would that be the culture of Gazillion premierships in 30 years, the one where they are the most successful club of the modern era.

I agree that the article lacks some critical content however the leadership of our club deserves a timely bake. The Sylvia and Moloney incidents are proven and the lack of on-field leadership has been apparent.

We are one embarrassing loss away from being in crisis. To me this is the most critical period for the club in the last three years. Most of you that know me realise that I am not an alarmist, but I think the club needs to respond with a bit of urgency.

All clubs have this problem but it is disappointing to hear this is an issue for our younger blokes.

Our leaders are not leaders. It's as simple as that. I can talk up Davey's improvement as a leader and Moloney's work with the kids and Green's onfield courage but they aren't leaders of men and it is so frustrating that we have to put up with it until Grimes, Trengove, and Scully get older.

All clubs have this problem but it is disappointing to hear this is an issue for our younger blokes.

Our leaders are not leaders. It's as simple as that. I can talk up Davey's improvement as a leader and Moloney's work with the kids and Green's onfield courage but they aren't leaders of men and it is so frustrating that we have to put up with it until Grimes, Trengove, and Scully get older.

there should be a LOT more "leaders" in a football club than just a handful of players

you might equally ask where have they been

there should be a LOT more "leaders" in a football club than just a handful of players

you might equally ask where have they been

You're right.

They just can't have the same effect on a group than the senior players can.

But I hope they realise the limitations of the senior 'leaders' and step in now, before it becomes an issue (if it isn't already).

We're not going to have great leadership until the likes of Scully (Have I mentioned the importance of signing this guy), Trengove, Grimes, Frawley, maybe even Viney take over the leadership of this club that we're going to see some real leadership on and off the field. Until then the fact we have a culture developing of drinking should weigh heavily on the likes of Green, Davey and Moloney(who just blew his credibility out the window. By the way I too believe Moloney should have been left out of today's team and made to play with Casey when we travel to Perth. Although young kids are going to go out and drink leaders should be leading by example.

Wow, it really hasn't been the start some were hoping for has it.

I say beamer should get sloshed the night after the game each week

If he can play like that each week whats wrong with a little (on the right night) bingeing?

And as long as he leaves the premise when asked

ducking with tongue in cheek......

I have it on good authority that Scully has been concerned with the drinking culture at Melb, which is one of the reasons he left the China trip early.

I suspect that this culture prevails at many clubs, but I hear enough about Melbourne and players such as Watts, to wonder if anyone senior at Melbourne is getting their message through.

That's a concern. It makes sense that Moloney was demoted from the "leadership" in this context.

I'll directly contradict myself elsewhere and say that we may be missing McDonald's and Bruce's influence here.

That's a concern. It makes sense that Moloney was demoted from the "leadership" in this context.

I'll directly contradict myself elsewhere and say that we may be missing McDonald's and Bruce's influence here.

Yes, I over-estimated the capacity of Green, Moloney, Davey, Jones, and Rivers to be decent leaders.

Hannabal, did you really mean "concerned with the drinking culture at Melb" specifically, or was he just concerned at the drinking culture at any footy club when on an end-of-season trip? There is a difference and by all accounts he is a teetotaller which might take the edge off such a trip.

Crawford was just quizzed on the Sunday Footy Show about his article and he stood by his claims. Without 'naming names', he said in addition to a couple of the older types like Moloney and Sylvia, "some of the younger players" were among those he was hearing negative things about.

He went out of his way to say he wasn't potting Melbourne as he likes the way we are going about our rebuild, but he clearly intimated that there's a bit of a party boy clique at the club who get out on it more than they should.

The way he said it, you could tell he knows something.

Very disappointing.

There are always rumours about footballers and clubs

Over the journey i have heard some outrageous "rumours"

Perhaps the club needs to deal with the current perceptions. I hope internally and we wont be confronted with the spectacle of a contrite Moloney being sliced up in public over what was found out to be a fairly innocouous little drinkathon

God save us from the pc attitudes currently in vogue and perpetrated by Demetriou, Anderson and AFL

If it continues then we should start building more Counselling centres and spas to help these poor souls

On a serious note Ijust want to believe that our players are all doing the right thing. If thay are not then they should be dropped counselled and re educated.

Maybe Craford knows something maybe he doesnt. I for one dont care waht he knows

I think Moloney did cherish and value the Vice Captaincy so I dont underestimate the penalty.

Shane Crawford of course placed such little weight on the Captaincy of Hawthorn that he quit the position live on the Footy Show whilst dressed as a character in a Footy Show serial skit so maybe he does not understand the impact on Moloney.

In general I find it amazing that given how the coverage of the game in the media has grown so much we hear so little about tactics and so much about the politics and the rumour and the innuendo.

Edited by demoniac

I wonder about the same message getting through. I also think back to the influence McDonald had as a leader in some instances. Sylvia spoke highly of Junior. I'm hopeful of leaders filling the void.

I also hear enough about certain individuals to make me wonder, and I'm certain the culture is prevalent at other clubs, even the Premier Collingwood.

I'm all for the AFL clamping down on betting agencies advertising which have flooded the game too.

TBH I'd be looking at the more of a blight on Scully than I would the rest of the group

This is a group of young Aussie blokes overseas, they work their butts off all year and fair enough let their hair down on the OS trip

I tell you what, if I was enjoying myself in that scenario and some first year pissant was looking down his nose at me I'd just think he was a [censored] rather than feel the rest of us should be taking it easy. He made his own decision not to drink, good on him, doesn't mean the rest of them have to join him. The kid sounds like he is a blast to be around :rolleyes: oh well I hope he enjoys getting belted by 100 every week next year, he can spend his big pay cheque on orange juice or whatever he drinks when he's going wild

I also have it from a reliable source (a player from another club) that watts loves a drink

Apparently he loves shagging young ladies as well. He's 20 FFS.