Garry Lyons article on AFL reserves sides.

Here's a link to todays Gary Lyon's AGE article on AFL reserves teams and what they may have done for the fortunes of Geelong and Collingwood. Made my eyes narrow with anger that we are now de facto social workers for that numbskull Fevola at the expense of our young hopefuls. Closes with the suggestion that other teams may be going for their own reserves sides next season. I hope he is talking about us

TWO SIDES FOR TOTAL CONTROL

I reckon Garry is right on the money. I for one could never understand the logic of doing away with the Reserves. Sooner we bring our own back, the better!

Here's a link to todays Gary Lyon's AGE article on AFL reserves teams and what they may have done for the fortunes of Geelong and Collingwood. Made my eyes narrow with anger that we are now de facto social workers for that numbskull Fevola at the expense of our young hopefuls. Closes with the suggestion that other teams may be going for their own reserves sides next season. I hope he is talking about us

TWO SIDES FOR TOTAL CONTROL

This is an equity issue. Teams being forced into having to run a reserves side is just going to further erode finances of clubs that actually can't afford it.

IMO Collingwood, Geelong etc. should never have been allowed to enter their own reserves sides in the VFL.

This is an equity issue. Teams being forced into having to run a reserves side is just going to further erode finances of clubs that actually can't afford it.

IMO Collingwood, Geelong etc. should never have been allowed to enter their own reserves sides in the VFL.

In a somewhat recent thread - prompted by Casey showing interest in Fev - this was discussed a bit. The financial burden, if media reports at time time were accurate, is less than I expected it to be.

In a somewhat recent thread - prompted by Casey showing interest in Fev - this was discussed a bit. The financial burden, if media reports at time time were accurate, is less than I expected it to be.

Your right. I remember reading the $500,000 figure suggested by Andrew Demitriou, And when considering our investment at Casey runs to the tune of $300,000? (someone correct me if I'm wrong), It does seem like the logical step to outlay $200,000 extra Per year for the overall benefit it would bring to the football department and development of club culture and players as a whole.

I think it's fair to assume that whilst we as a club are still developing our genuine "tilt" at the flag, We have progressed beyond the point of "rebuilding" and are now at a stage of implementing the structures and processes (both on and off the field) that will demand an elite performance across the board.

We (I'm sure) will be assessing our coach and our players on a different set of criteria now than the last few years and will be demanding a definitive and steady rise towards the top of the ladder in all areas be they marketing, club finance and especially game-day. With this will come the expectation to be realised as a peer amongst our more fancied rivals, And the recognition of what is the massive responsibility we hold as the proud custodian of the name of the greatest city in the land.

If we are striving to be the best, then we must at least endeavour to match the current best. Only then will our own initiatives reap the deserts they deserve.

We have been playing "catchup football" for many many years and only now we find ourselves in a position to finally complete the reign in. Grab it with both hands I say, Bring back our reserves and make the statement that not only are we no longer a battler, but we are a frontrunner.

We are Melbourne

We are back!

Your right. I remember reading the $500,000 figure suggested by Andrew Demitriou, And when considering our investment at Casey runs to the tune of $300,000? (someone correct me if I'm wrong), It does seem like the logical step to outlay $200,000 extra Per year for the overall benefit it would bring to the football department and development of club culture and players as a whole.

That sounds right to me; my recollection was either ~$200K or $300K.

The numbers surprised me too. I'd been lead to believe that the gulf between the cost of the two options was enormous - to the point where the decision was a no-brainer. Where I got that information though has been lost with time, so it could've been from pro-alignment people at the time.

Yes an interesting observation by GL. Nonetheless there may be more to the story for us and other teams who may not be as fortunate as Collingwood in terms of supporter numbers and resultant revenue. It strikes me for instance that the Box Hill Hawks/Hawthorn arrangement is quite a successfull one and when overlayed with the Eastern Rangers ( who play a number of their games at Box Hill) this gives them something of a vertical operation in the region. Together with Hawthorn's Glenferrie origins and their training venue at Waverley Hawthorn have made quite a commitmment to the Eastern corridor and carved out a decent 'niche' for themselves. I believe for instance that outside perhaps the Amos the Eastern Football League is also one of the largest junior leagues Australia wide. So overall I doubt that such a strategy would have harmed Hawthorn's supporter base or $$ fron the area.

Notwithstanding the recent 'micro' event at Casey which may have unsettled a few people, perhaps a at the Demons have taken the macro view and actually prefer the alignment model complete with warts and all. Afterall these can be worked on and fine tuned. Meanwhile the Demons begin to carve out their owm territory ( complete with Gippsland Power ) are also operating within a growth corridor and are enjoying reduced expenditure.In addition there seems to be the prospect for an increase to membership long term when the local kids, families etc can rock down to Casey Fields.

Not denying Garry's points which may sit well for some clubs, but at the same time I am not convinced that changing the script now to a stand alone team is right for us at this point, particularly as we seem to be making such significant progress off the field.

More patience required, but we are well trained in that.