Our trade history of recent years

DEELIRIOUS

There is only one reason we haven't been big traders in recent years... it's because before 12 months ago we had

- [censored] facilities

- languishing on the bottom of the ladder with no prospect of finals

- huge amounts of debt

- can't offer big contracts

- appeared to be an embarrassment of a club

So why on earth would someone be enticed to come to us over say, Collingwood, Carlton or Hawthorn? I know I wouldn't as an AFL player (putting to one side my obsession with the demons).

HOWEVER... I believe it could all be a blessing in disguise for 2 reasons.

1. Because of our inability to attract trade targets, we've been forced to take the path of rebuilding through the draft, and we haven't deviated from that plan. I honestly believe that the path we've chosen is a wise one, and one that could see us winning premierships in a few years.

2. But the main point... 2007-2010 was never the correct time to be trading in stars from opposition clubs, for the simple reason that we do not know what is going to be our glaring weakness in 2013-2015, when we are going for top 4 and a premiership.

Collingwood are a perfect example- they build the foundation of their list through the draft. In 2005 they drafted Thomas and Pendlebury, 2006 they drafted Reid, Brown, Dawes and Wellingham and Maccafar and 2008 they drafted Sidebottom, Beams and Blair. They only became real premiership threats in 2010. In 2010 they recruited Darren Jolly and Luke Ball to fill 2 very specific needs. In 2011 they recruited Tarrant and Krakour, another 2 great trade targets filling specific needs.

In my opinion, we shouldn't make a big trade-play until 2013, when we know which holes need filling in our list and because of our on-field success, we'll be better placed to attract the right players. Going for spuds like Hale in 2011 is not going to win us a premiership

Are you saying that the big que stick would have been the difference between winning and losing on the weekend?

If you are you need some serious help.

By the way are you actually a Melbourne supporter or someone here laying down bait to fire people up?

The big q stick would've been of little help on sunday's third quarter beltin, but in the other 3 he woulda been of assistance to forward structure. For 3 years i have been crying out for a big bodied full forward to arrive at our club and yes we have recruited watts who will take time and cook but i think that this year to give our mids something to kick to long a full forward mature age recruit would've helped us out, whether the recruit be a pods type from the vfl, sanfl,wafl or afl i don't mind. as long as he is proven to be succesful forward ala pods. AND YES I AM A PROUD DEES SUPPORTER, MEMBER FOR 10 YEARS CONSECUTIVE AND I'M 15 YEARS OLD. NOT BAD EH. I HAVE BEEN TO EVERY MELBOURNE HOME GAME AND MELBOURNE AWAY GAME (ETIHAD) WITH MY FATHER SINCE OUR REBUILDING BEGAN IN 07 AND EVEN BEFORE THEN SINCE I CAN REMEMBER (2000-2006). SO IF YOU THINK I'M A TROLL THEN YOUR WRONG!! i HAVE SEEN THE VERY GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY IN MY SHORT TIME ON THE EARTH AT MFC GAMES SO I BELIVE I HAVE A VALID OPINION

Edited by one fired up maco

And it's a terrible, poorly thought-out point.

Neither are as good as Jamar.

Hale has been playing predominantly up forward for Hawthorn, exactly like we wanted him to do if we got him.

Rebuilding means we are aiming to have the best team in the future, not a slightly more competitive one now at the expense of that future.

Exactly what you are proposing is the oft-misunderstood "acceptance of mediocrity".

Perfect, just perfect.

Hale would have been a bit of a waste of time, but warnock would have been alligned with our grand plans. He's young and would have been able to take over from Jamar in 4-5 years time?

In recent MFC hasn't been involved in trade week for a mature age recruit, bar Joel Mac in 09. Last year i belive we let the opportunity slip to recruit a big bodied key position forward line player after releasing Brad Miller. Yes we have many kids who in time will get better and stronger as key position forwards(Watts, Cook), but it has been evident over the past few years that since the neitz departure that we don't have a big bodied monster at full forward who we can kick long to and in turn help our structure. yes it wasn't last years trade week, but, he was old when the bullies recruited him and he had problems but barry hall was exactly the type of player that we needed, big, bustling, uncompromising and an evident goal kicker. also i believe that the big q-stick from west coast, how mongrel his kick is, his body size and his ability to break packs in the forward line when attempting marks would have been very effective in the first two round to help out jurrah, watts, bennel and co. Is it time to look at the now and not future at this years trade week and go for a mature age full forward(not fev)?

Join date...

I think Hale would not have been great value for money.

He only started to look good when the rest of his team were firing.

The week before he was not very effective.

I think we should be cautious about this, Roos believes in recruiting marginal but mature players and bringing them on because he has had some success at it.

The plus to it is they come with bodies to match.

That is not the primary model we have adopted to date.

I dont subscribe to the theory elsewhere on this site that our are recruits are soft. Thats just a reaction to last Saturday.

I dont think Scully, Tapscott, Tregove, McKenzie, Grimes, Morton are soft. Not mature yet, sure.

As for Watts he will be a big lump very soon in the interim he will still look gawky on the field.

That may give an impression of softness to some but when he gets in the right position he is prepared to put his body on the line.

Going backwards into a pack to mark against 3 Hawks was not soft.

A big lump in the forward line might be superficially attractive for a year or so.

Our problems last Saturday was we had no plan to beat the press,we lost structure and then the wheels fell off.

I do think its time to start to demand an elite outlook on our performances.

out of those mids you named, morton is soft.