Twilight Games

Road2Recovery

Why have Sunday twilight games? They aren't shown on free-to-air T.V, so you cant watch the game from home unless you have Foxtel, which the majority of people don't have. So people that are real supporters of their football club that don't have Foxtel are forced to go to the game.

But that means the game doesn't finish until at least 7:40. And on a Sunday. Sunday nights are precious for anyone that is stuck in the boring routine some like to call work. It is the last bit of spare time you have before the start of the week. I know I'd rather be relaxing at home then trying to get onto a packed train at 8 on a Sunday.

It's a disgrace the way the AFL treats its fans. What's wrong with having two games on at 2:10 instead of the one? Oh wait that's right! The AFL doesn't care about public opinion, only about the amount of revenue they can create through the television networks.

For all of you that decide to stay at home tommorrow and can not watch the game, I feel for you. For all that do go to the G tommorrow, good luck getting home, hope it's a good game and GO DEES!

I'm not going more cos I can stay home and watch it on foxtel.

My Dad does not travel up that often for these as the Vline trains back means he does not get home until near 11 that night.

I am more and more despising the AFL, more Vlad and Anderson, they are making the game more about TV and corporates than ever before. I'll continue to get a Melb membership and go to home games, but I go to less away games every year and I no longer go to games Melb do not participate in.

I'm not going more cos I can stay home and watch it on foxtel.

My Dad does not travel up that often for these as the Vline trains back means he does not get home until near 11 that night.

I am more and more despising the AFL, more Vlad and Anderson, they are making the game more about TV and corporates than ever before. I'll continue to get a Melb membership and go to home games, but I go to less away games every year and I no longer go to games Melb do not participate in.

7.10PM to 11.00PM, thats 4 hours. Where does he travel down from?

That's pretty good loyalty, right there.

How does he go when we play Friday night or Saturday night?

Yeah it can take that long, some times he has got home after 12. Depends on what time the train runs, some times he waits for 45 mins after the game for the train to arrive, then it's a 2 hour train ride and then a drive from the station.

Twilight games should only EVER come out of Perth.

3 hour time difference is perfect for melbourne viewing and its a 1PM start for them.

To have them in melbourne is just so wrong for all the OP's reasons.

That said i am going to try and get to the 'G tomorrow, but may hit the Bentleigh club and spend my $$ there.

IMHO it is more of a crime that 7 are showing the sydney v essendon game on an hour delay.

this means there is no way to watch it live unless you go to sydney. normally at least you can get down to the G and see it for yourself, even if it does require travel from the country. but showing this game on delay is disgraceful.

IMHO it is more of a crime that 7 are showing the sydney v essendon game on an hour delay.

this means there is no way to watch it live unless you go to sydney. normally at least you can get down to the G and see it for yourself, even if it does require travel from the country. but showing this game on delay is disgraceful.

yes why is the Twilight game not shown live on free to air, news could be shown at half time. it just doesn't add up.

But at least this time it is not our home game, potential financial disaster!!

Remember it is also the end of daylight saving which always makes for a strange day already...Maybe this is a reason for the fixture being later....

i remember the days when the team playing interstate was on the TV live no matter what.

fair enough our game isnt on free to air. get there yourself. if we were playing sydney in sydney at 210 and the game wasnt on tv AT ALL till 3.......well id be angry. very angry.

7 can suck my tiny dlck.

Edited by Benno

i remember the days when the team playing interstate was on the TV live no matter what.

fair enough our game isnt on free to air. get there yourself. if we were playing sydney in sydney at 210 and the game wasnt on tv AT ALL till 3.......well id be angry. very angry.

7 can suck my tiny dlck.

yes i do not understand the interstate delay at all, considering before the game is usually nothing more than an old movie.

Channel 7 really do treat sport viewers with disdain i agree. (V8 Super cars included)

yes i do not understand the interstate delay at all, considering before the game is usually nothing more than an old movie.

Channel 7 really do treat sport viewers with disdain i agree. (V8 Super cars included)

its so they can go straight to the news. which they do......which leaves viewers annoyed that there is no song or post game wrap or interviews or anything.

before tomorrows game (while its being played) they are playing a replay of syd v essendon from 2001.

pathetic.

its so they can go straight to the news. which they do......which leaves viewers annoyed that there is no song or post game wrap or interviews or anything.

before tomorrows game (while its being played) they are playing a replay of syd v essendon from 2001.

pathetic.

Yes it is pathetic, but when they spend so much on the product, sadly they can treat it as they like.

The lack of post match really pi$$es me off, i turn their news off on principle & watch the AFL website replay.

the thing is that it is so short sighted. long term people will switch off. it isnt exactly helping the growth of the game. (nor is having 1/2 the games on pay tv, IMHO)

Your right, but there is no way around it i can see...The TV stations pay the $$ and then pull the best advertising deals they can to pay for it all.

Such a shame the ABC is no longer able to "Piggy Back" Transmissions as we used to do, for at least the Interstate games when victorian clubs are involved.

It is a concern for the AFL because as you say many people are getting really jack of it all.

Trouble is if the AFL get too heavy handed the Broadcasters will pull out, because they really only make money in the finals.

The Home and away is close to break even, so it is a very tenuous situation.

Stay tuned.

Trouble is if the AFL get too heavy handed the Broadcasters will pull out, because they really only make money in the finals.

The Home and away is close to break even, so it is a very tenuous situation.

Stay tuned.

Maybe they could have each free-to-air network show one H&A game every week, and the one that does it the best gets to do all the finals. Incentive scheme.

Maybe they could have each free-to-air network show one H&A game every week, and the one that does it the best gets to do all the finals. Incentive scheme.

It's not the AFL's call to do that. The Broadcasters pay a bucketload. The AFL would need there own station to be able to mould that one.

If you love your club you'll go irrespective of the time. I work Mon-Fri but I still turn up. It all sounds like excuses to me.

Mate u obviously don't have young kids. I love the club as much as any other die hard but with two kids under 4, twilight games are the pits. Day games I take the older ones and night games I can sneak in at bedtime. Despite that, the missus has given me a leave pass for tonight!