DON'T CRY FOR MELBOURNE

Keyser Söze

The relationship between Bailey and Scully and how it develops over the course of this year is going to be absolutely crucial.

This will be one of many aspects and relationships that may or may not play a part.

Bailey's contract is up at the end of this season. That may (or may not) even contribute.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have a link handy, but it's pretty clear when the CEOs agreed on what they agreed upon early in the year, and then later a panel was formed to preside over the compensation, and the "formula" for compensation was kept a secret, then it was announced that after lobbying from Geelong that the formula would be altered to take into account the new contract being offered to the poached player.

The goalposts shifted.

Even still, they agreed to the terms without knowing for sure what the compensation would be.

Quite frankly I dont give a rats tossbag about the compensation - The taking of any first contract, 2nd year player should not warrant a discussion about what compensation is fair but whether or not the taking of first contract players should be allowed in the first place ( this is not meant as a shot at Demonlanders - it is a shot at the AFL)

Wow ! I think I am going to go down the plagiarising route - good article.

I think the solution ( not that there is a completely fair and one size fits all solution) is that whilst these new clubs have more money to spend, creating this inequality, there should be a cap on the age of the uncontracted players that are allowed to be taken. I was going to suggest 24 but I quite like Jake Nialls suggestion on a moratorium on first contract players - that would contract one = 2 years and contrat two for a scully or gysberts would be 3 years - bring us to age 23 . These players have at least given 5 years service to their existing club.( although it still smacks of losing a player just coming into their prime ! - what a conundrum)

Why not argue for the eligibility to be the same as the Free Agency rules they're bringing in in 2012, it would at least be consistent (heaven forbid that to happen at the AFL - see tribunal!) - you can find them here:

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=89809

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=89810

That would give GWS a crack one year earlier than everyone else and they have the advantage of the extra $s. As HT and RPFC say - give them that.

Why not argue for the eligibility to be the same as the Free Agency rules they're bringing in in 2012, it would at least be consistent (heaven forbid that to happen at the AFL - see tribunal!) - you can find them here:

That would give GWS a crack one year earlier than everyone else and they have the advantage of the extra $s. As HT and RPFC say - give them that.

Thanks for that - does make some compelling reading

Wow !

On one of the articles there is this quote from Vlad re free agency

"Importantly, the agreement protects the integrity of the salary cap and draft -- key pillars in the ongoing success of the competition."

"The agreed model is fair for all concerned in that it gives players more flexibility but also contains safeguards that will help maintain the evenness of the competition."

Integrity of the draft !!!!! Maintain the eveness of the competition !!!!!! can the same litmus test be applied to the rules put in the place surrounding uncontracted player to GWS and GC17 ??? where are the safeguards that can allow any 2nd year footballer to be lured from a club on hundreds of thousands of extra dollars that the non expansion clubs dont have in their cap FAIL FAIL FAIL.

Wow !

On one of the articles there is this quote from Vlad re free agency

"Importantly, the agreement protects the integrity of the salary cap and draft -- key pillars in the ongoing success of the competition."

"The agreed model is fair for all concerned in that it gives players more flexibility but also contains safeguards that will help maintain the evenness of the competition."

Integrity of the draft !!!!! Maintain the eveness of the competition !!!!!! can the same litmus test be applied to the rules put in the place surrounding uncontracted player to GWS and GC17 ??? where are the safeguards that can allow any 2nd year footballer to be lured from a club on hundreds of thousands of extra dollars that the non expansion clubs dont have in their cap FAIL FAIL FAIL.

Pass the Bex.

You guys make for some entertaining reading I must say. Even the Slattery gang must troll (trawl) for some insight to what true afl fans are thinking.

Excuse the intrusion, I am a long time reader first time poster, I just wanted to add my '2c' worth.

I think this point has been touched on but not fully explored. I am wondering what sort of fuss Geelong would have made if Ablett had been poached in '05 or '06, Pre premierships, pre brownlow and without the surname. I believe they would have been screaming and out for blood at the mere thought of it (with the surname even more so).

Potential is a powerful concept, the financial markets around the world trade billions everyday on it.

Geelong now happen to be comfortably on the backend (maybe) of an extremely successful period and are still licking the cream from their whiskers. How would have they behaved before this though? When the team was still developing and forging that close knit alliance that truly made them great? The fact that Geelong could accomodate a team packed with so many quality players, keep them all together and under the cap is a tremendous feat. They must have had an absolute laser like focus on the ultimate goal, which would have required a full commitment from everyone in the club. I admirably recall that Paul Chapman stood in front of the playing group and reminded them of that in early 2007 when they were floundering. What effect that had I don't know but I hope someone will stand up for Melbourne if we ever need that kick in the pants. Moloney hinted at it at the b+f a couple of years ago it might be time soon for a reminder. Its got to be about the team, sure some players will require more money to compensate for their ablity but only if they are prepared to put the team first.

If they try and compete with the money being talked about in regards to Tom, they risk losing that cohesion and risk losing some truly valuable (loyal) players in the process.

The Phelan article was merely there to bait and see if you guys would bite. Don't give them the satisfaction, all the Afl can do these days is ride on the back of one scandal after another to get extra column width in the dailys. I hope Melbourne is a more balanced team than that.

I am sure the Demons will do all they can to keep Scully but if he wants to go let him, or we may end up with another Bruce scenario down the track. He knows that he is required and an integral part of a developing list. The value he places on that is up to him not GWS or his managemant.

'Hold on tightly let go lightly'

Don't have a link handy, but it's pretty clear when the CEOs agreed on what they agreed upon early in the year, and then later a panel was formed to preside over the compensation

I'm pretty sure the Clubs had reps that made up that panel, as old has pointed out.

Leave him alone.

He's allowed to go over the top this week, he is writing a op-ed to answer that awful Phelan article on AFL.com.

Whilst I don't really give a rat's about other clubs, this angst is not purely a Scully thing. Richmond should be aggrieved that they have had to pay well over the odds for Dustin Martin. That the AFL has let this situation occur when they are sprouting about Free Agency and "Eveness" of the competition is a joke.

The fact that Geelong could accomodate a team packed with so many quality players, keep them all together and under the cap is a tremendous feat.

Thats the whole point - competing to keep your players on even playing with the same cap is fair and reasonable -cudos to the cats but they have done well on level playing field.

The AFL bangs on about an even competition but has created a scenario where they have said to the clubs - heres $10 to retain all your players and to GWS and GC17 have said - heres $15 to go out and buy them. And the system where we have tried to keep an even playing field by giving access to better quality players ( aka higher draft picks) to the poorer club - well thats open slather for you as well.

I agree it not all about money, but as Old has pointed out with pointing me to free agency, the AFL has gone out of its way not to undermine the cap and draft and keep eveness in the competition yet this philosophy does not apply to the rules governing uncontracted players to GWS and GC17.

Old55 - If I am understanding you I do like your very simple premise - give GWS the extra money but let the free agency rules apply one year early for them alone ( should have been the same for GC17)

No, the panel consists of Shifter Sheahan & 2 others I cast recall.

My understanding is that the committee I listed, including Cam Schwab, worked out the draft rules, uncontracted player and compensation tiers.

The "panel" you speak of decides which tier the players who move fit in. I think the AFL devised "secret" rules which the panel uses so the clubs can't manipulate the rules.

Good old not shy of bias Rohan Connolly is in on the act now too...

Hi, I'm a biased journalist who pretty much copied this article from the AFL website...

Lame...

I cant help myself - i had to post a comment under the article.

Where he asked the question what did White, Rocca, Headland, Buckley and Grant all have in common - I commented that all went back to play in their home states - Besides Buckley who said before he got to Brisbane that he wanted to play in Victoria hence the one year contract. I also commented that if one more journo talks about us luring Jeff White home I will puke. He was always going to come home. We just rorted the cap to make sure he came home to us.

Edited by nutbean

Where he asked the question what did White, Rocca, Headland, Buckley and Grant all have in common - I commented that all went back to play in their home states - Besides Buckley who said before he got to Brisbane that he wanted to play in Victoria hence the one year contract. I also commented that if one more journo talks about us luring Jeff White home I will puke. He was always going to come home. We just rorted the cap to make sure he came home to us.

Yeah I posted a comment too, lamenting the lack of the facts in that article, be interesting to see if it actually gets posted...

Good old not shy of bias Rohan Connolly is in on the act now too...

Hi, I'm a biased journalist who pretty much copied this article from the AFL website...

Lame...

We traded for Jeff White did we not....GWS are just throwing $$$$ Large difference i would have thought.

Rohan Conolly is on a par with Mike Sheahan on the Journalistic stakes IMO.

Guest melbman

you must have hit a nerve as comments are now closed at this point in time