Bringing back the torp!

DirtyDees DDC

5 minutes ago, bush demon said:

Noone kicks in the street any more, that's the problem.

Would that be Peter Noone?  (Great singer [with Herman's Hermits], but didn't realise he ever kicked a footy in the street...!)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bush demon said:

Noone kicks in the street any more, that's the problem.

Bulldust. Plenty do out my way.

Torps are very low %

Unless it's after the siren (Hunt) or late in the game desperation, I doubt it will catch on. Very few footballers can do this with any reliability. 

Coaches call it the kaos ball for a reason 

4 minutes ago, Vagg said:

Would that be Peter Noone?  (Great singer [with Herman's Hermits], but didn't realise he ever kicked a footy in the street...!)

When you connect and hit the sweet spot you think to yourself, I'm Into Something Good here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Bulldust. Plenty do out my way.

Torps are very low %

Unless it's after the siren (Hunt) or late in the game desperation, I doubt it will catch on. Very few footballers can do this with any reliability. 

Coaches call it the kaos ball for a reason 

Actually, a high percentage Moony, high for the supporters, enjoyment,,, and for the kids.

koas ball is excellent against a highly regimented defence, that is on torp of its opponents.

The torp is unpredictable, the antithesis of a disciplined tight press... and the pleasure of supporters.

'imagine', spontaneous joy from the die-hard supporters.

7 hours ago, DV8 said:

Actually, a high percentage Moony, high for the supporters, enjoyment,,, and for the kids.

koas ball is excellent against a highly regimented defence, that is on torp of its opponents.

The torp is unpredictable, the antithesis of a disciplined tight press... and the pleasure of supporters.

'imagine', spontaneous joy from the die-hard supporters.

Chanelling Deeluded???

• Like 1

On 04/02/2011 at 12:35 PM, Vagg said:

Stuff the torp! Bring back the drop kick! (LOL)

Who remembers the days when Danny Hughes used to kick in after a point was scored? He would consistently send the ball into the centre of the ground with those long, raking drop kicks! Think he was just about the last exponent of the drop kick.

Ah! Memories!

Tend to agree with this, even though it was posted years ago, Vagg. Danny was a great drop kicker, too right, and effective, as well. For those of us in earlier days who could left foot drop kick without error - and usually on the run as a 30-45 m stab pass - it was a telling kick that was very easy for a teammate to mark and utilise. Something about its spin and straight line flight; seldom was it intercepted, once delivered. I can remember Tassy Johnson kicking out from a point score to well past the centre of the ground into the fwd line, with a beautifully executed drop kick - time after time after time. He never fluffed it. But there is one thing I cannot judge: correct me if I am wrong but didn't the drop kick usually travel further than the torp with the drop punt coming in third for distance - even in the hands of a genuinely great kick (Tilbrook, Quinlan and  McKenna excluded)?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Tend to agree with this, even though it was posted years ago, Vagg. Danny was a great drop kicker, too right, and effective, as well. For those of us in earlier days who could left foot drop kick without error - and usually on the run as a 30-45 m stab pass - it was a telling kick that was very easy for a teammate to mark and utilise. Something about its spin and straight line flight; seldom was it intercepted, once delivered. I can remember Tassy Johnson kicking out from a point score to well past the centre of the ground into the fwd line, with a beautifully executed drop kick - time after time after time. He never fluffed it. But there is one thing I cannot judge: correct me if I am wrong but didn't the drop kick usually travel further than the torp with the drop punt coming in third for distance - even in the hands of a genuinely great kick (Tilbrook, Quinlan and  McKenna excluded)?

Deemania, YOU are the man!  Only took 7 years (almost to the day!), but, finally, my vindication cometh!  In spite of those at the time who howled me down as being demented with my memory of Danny and his raking drop kicks, still wanted to believe my memory had not failed me!  

Also think you may be correct regarding your feeling that a well executed drop kick would travel further than a torp.

And, yes, Tassie was another beauty from back in our golden years!

Are you blokes sure about Danny Hughes?  The dropkick had disappeared from the VFL in 1980, a few years before he debuted under Ron Barassi, who most certainly would not have permitted anyone to dropkick.

ps.  Just checked my 1987 Elimination Final tape ... no dropkicks from Hughes or anyone else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Are you blokes sure about Danny Hughes?  The dropkick had disappeared from the VFL in 1980, a few years before he debuted under Ron Barassi, who most certainly would not have permitted anyone to dropkick.

ps.  Just checked my 1987 Elimination Final tape ... no dropkicks from Hughes or anyone else.

There's always someone to poor cold water on an old codger's good story!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Vagg said:

Alan Noonen ?

7 hours ago, bush demon said:

I think he delivered milk.

Wasn't that 'Ernie' ?

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

I remember that.

From the kickout box to just past the centre circle.

8 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Sorry Barrie!  I agree that Tassie Johnson may be the one you're thinking of, and what a prodigious roost he had.

As a kid I had the big Mobil posters of Tassie and Hassa Mann on my wall, and Hassa's 29 was on my first guernsey.

Possibly.  I just can't shake the thought from my memory banks that Danny was the last AFL player I remember using a drop kick to kick out from Full Back.  Ah well.  Doesn't really matter either way in the scheme of things.

I, too, had picture of Hassa on top of the old TV, and #29 on my jumper (knitted by my dear ole mum!)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bush demon said:

Could make the drop kick mandatory from the kick out. Would either be a press buster or a chaos ball.

One for the Rules Committee...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vagg said:

Deemania, YOU are the man!  Only took 7 years (almost to the day!), but, finally, my vindication cometh!  In spite of those at the time who howled me down as being demented with my memory of Danny and his raking drop kicks, still wanted to believe my memory had not failed me!  

Also think you may be correct regarding your feeling that a well executed drop kick would travel further than a torp.

and donny williams

1 hour ago, Vagg said:

Anything for a Seaspray boy. Down the hill into Sale past Longford and into the Thompson River area before the swing bridge, turning off the engine, gearbox moved to neutral, saving fuel as we rolled down in the EK Holden. Practising drop kicks on the Oval at the MacArthur Street end through the goals from the 60 feet marker. Kinda made Tues and Thurs nights special....and a few at the Criterion not long after.

• Love 1