NFL

Dappa Dan

Well, this has been an incredible first quarter. We somehow lead 10-6 despite doing absolutely nothing with the ball and giving up a couple of big plays to Vick. The Eagles have lost two fumbles, insanely gone for a 2-point conversion and stuffed it, and given away a pick 6. Teams rarely ever win when doing that sort of craziness.

We've got the ball at midfield to start the second.

I'll make this my last one before I head off to work. Up 13-6, we cannot sustain this for a win unless the offense turns up. Dropped passes, critical penalties, missed FG and a Philly D that is looking for Charles. Need to get Bowe involved. Will not be surprised if we lose, which would be unforgivable under the circumstances.

Huge play by Avery there. Bye all.

Edited by pantaloons

Avery is a jet. 3rd and long is not a problem with Avery. Chiefs are looking good if they can keep Vick off the field. Eagles are shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers. Pretty good game so far.

• Like 1

With apologies to Dappa Dan, that was a key win for KC today. Not perfect, as the red zone offense was poor, but a lot of positives.

Macca, there was an excellent Green Bay piece on ESPN today. Well worth a read if you've got a few minutes:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9669836/mysterious-fire-1950-saved-green-bay-packers-espn-magazine

• Like 1

With apologies to Dappa Dan, that was a key win for KC today. Not perfect, as the red zone offense was poor, but a lot of positives.

Macca, there was an excellent Green Bay piece on ESPN today. Well worth a read if you've got a few minutes:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9669836/mysterious-fire-1950-saved-green-bay-packers-espn-magazine

That was a great story - now all we need is a 'Barnburner' to top things off in Cincinnati in a few days. Pity the game is not on the box as it's possibly the game of the round. Excellent article all the same and it looks like good old 'Curly' had his own set of rules - in all sorts of areas! He certainly had a bit of a reputation with the ladies! ^_^

Another frantic game in Philadelphia today - hard to see Vick being able to play in all 16 games at this rate. Man, he takes some punishment. Good win by your blokes though. Reid has got KC well organised and that big final drive by Smith was very impressive - close enough to 9 minutes worth. Smith along with Avery and Charles all had good games. McCoy was impressive and Vick ran for 95 yards as well. There was a lot happening!

Really enjoyed the game and that fast paced offense employed by Chip Kelly is great to watch. Whether it's sustainable is another story. You'll be looking ahead to the playoffs yeah? :) 3 and 0 and leading the AFC West - whooda thunk-it!

• Like 2

Nice! Agree with all that. Speaking of Vick's physical punishment, the biggest hit he took today came on his first TD pass when Derrick Johnson absolutely levelled him a split second after he released it. I couldn't believe he got up after it.

Enjoy the GB box score!

Nice! Agree with all that. Speaking of Vick's physical punishment, the biggest hit he took today came on his first TD pass when Derrick Johnson absolutely levelled him a split second after he released it. I couldn't believe he got up after it.

Enjoy the GB box score!

Don't know if I'm keen enough to do that at 3am! The Packers are quite often one of the 7 games on OneHD or cable so I don't mind missing the odd game 'live'. Think we've got at least 5 night games to come so we're well catered for - can't complain.

I'm a little excited at the prospect of our running game being on the improve. Lacy looks to have a bit of talent and great to finally have Starks back (he ran for 132 yards last game) As 'cfh' would attest, all the teams in the NFC North have tough schedules so the Packers will need some sort of running game to win enough games to make it. The Bengals will be a tough encounter and I'll take any sort of win.

• Like 2

TV games ...

Mon Sept 23

3.00am Detroit at Washington (OneHD)

6.05am Atlanta at Miami (Fox1)

6.25am Indianapolis at San Francisco (OneHD)

10.30am Chicago at Pittsburgh (ESPN & OneHD)

Tues Sept 24

10.30am Oakland at Denver (ESPN)

... All the other week 3 games

And here's Bill Simmons 'Grantland' column ... Week 3 picks

Part 1 of his column focuses on the Cleveland/Indianopolis trade for Trent Richardson (and drafting RB's in general) ... 'Game-Changers'

Finally, here are this weeks 'Power Rankings'

Don't know if I'm keen enough to do that at 3am! The Packers are quite often one of the 7 games on OneHD or cable so I don't mind missing the odd game 'live'. Think we've got at least 5 night games to come so we're well catered for - can't complain.

I'm a little excited at the prospect of our running game being on the improve. Lacy looks to have a bit of talent and great to finally have Starks back (he ran for 132 yards last game) As 'cfh' would attest, all the teams in the NFC North have tough schedules so the Packers will need some sort of running game to win enough games to make it. The Bengals will be a tough encounter and I'll take any sort of win.

The Pack now seem to have a lot of depth at running back Macca. Starks and Franklin have had big games and Lacy was solid before injury, but will be very good. Edited by Strafford

That was a great story - now all we need is a 'Barnburner' to top things off in Cincinnati in a few days. Pity the game is not on the box as it's possibly the game of the round. Excellent article all the same and it looks like good old 'Curly' had his own set of rules - in all sorts of areas! He certainly had a bit of a reputation with the ladies! ^_^

Really enjoyed the game and that fast paced offense employed by Chip Kelly is great to watch. Whether it's sustainable is another story. You'll be looking ahead to the playoffs yeah? :) 3 and 0 and leading the AFC West - whooda thunk-it!

You picked it mate, it probably was the best game of the round. One of the craziest games I have ever seen. Shame I couldn't watch it live. Although I'm not sure my heart or frustration levels could have taken it :) Edited by Strafford

Wild game against the Pack. Lucky to win in the end, but great comeback by the Bengals after looking dead and buried. Whodey!!!

Welcome back Strafford! Good timing hey? Huge win for your blokes. Even at this early stage the Packers are going to have to at least win both games against the Bears. We could have been 3 and 0 and instead of that are 1 and 2. 'cfh' would have a similar story to tell with his Vikings. Got to now get at least 4 or 5 wins with the divisional games.

Wild old day today and I can't believe that Colts/49ers scoreline (good pick '45'!) And yeah, our running game is going ok but I noticed Starks got injured again today. We've got a bye next week so we lick our wounds and try to get a 'W' in a fortnight's time.

Baltimore must have played well today - those 2 games against the Ravens will tell a tale for your blokes.

The Saints are the other quiet achiever and they're already 2 games clear in their division. What's happened to the Giants? That scoreline against the Panthers is astonishing.

Just another week in the NFL! Can't see the Raiders winning tomorrow but who would know? It's a divisional game so it could be close.

I'll post details of our tipping comp tomorrow but you're welcome to still enter. None of us have a clue on how to pick 3 road team wins so you might be able to show us how it's done! (that's if your interested, of course) Details in the 1st post of page 46 on this thread - here

• Like 2

Oh man. SEASON OVER!! Vikings lose to the Browns at home. Good on the Browns I always like seeing a Cleveland team win something/anything but did they have to win on the road with a QB I have never heard of? Bears and Lions are going along nicely and my Vikings are being left in the dust! 0-3 in the NFC north is asking a lot to comeback from.

The vikings may have their finger on the panic button but I'm sure the Giants have smashed it already. I couldn't believe that score. Steelers look cooked as well. Dear Big Ben you would look great in purple. Is the reported RG3 and Shanahan bad relationship in the pre season starting to show? I haven't seen a skins game yet so I don't know. Strafford you must be a happy man and Pantaloons can you tell me how it feels to support a undefeated team? It must be a odd feeling compared to the despair we all felt after 3 rounds of Melbourne footy.

• Like 3

I'm not a big forum or social media guy, although I do binge every now and again :) I intended to post a few weeks back, but didn't get around to it...just being slack on my part. Tipping comp sounds fun, although there is no way I would have picked the winners of many of these games.

I was a bit worried about our pass coverage against you guys as we do have some real weaknesses at strong safety and with our linebackers in passing situations, as well as some injury concerns, but we were in fact gashed in the run. We have had two really sloppy games with turnovers, against your guys and the Bears. We really need to tighten up, but a wins a win.

• Like 1

Oh man. SEASON OVER!! Vikings lose to the Browns at home. Good on the Browns I always like seeing a Cleveland team win something/anything but did they have to win on the road with a QB I have never heard of? Bears and Lions are going along nicely and my Vikings are being left in the dust! 0-3 in the NFC north is asking a lot to comeback from.

The vikings may have their finger on the panic button but I'm sure the Giants have smashed it already. I couldn't believe that score. Steelers look cooked as well. Dear Big Ben you would look great in purple. Is the reported RG3 and Shanahan bad relationship in the pre season starting to show? I haven't seen a skins game yet so I don't know. Strafford you must be a happy man and Pantaloons can you tell me how it feels to support a undefeated team? It must be a odd feeling compared to the despair we all felt after 3 rounds of Melbourne footy.

I must say I don't share your sentiment about a Cleveland team winning :) I am shocked to see you guys lose to them. I might have to brace for us to be upset by them as conference games are such a toss up. Big Ben is beat up. His style of play has led to him absorbing a lot of punishment over the years. RG3 is looking a bit like Palmer when he came back for the Bengals, after his knee injury, a little bit gun shy and the footwork is a bit out. The skins mortgaged the farm to get him and the neglect is showing in other areas of their team.

I'm pleased to be 2-1 but we do have some real issues with ball security. A couple of Dalton's interceptions trying to find AJ were very similar and his passing over the middle has been scary. We have two very good tight ends, but he has been throwing high and wide at times to them in traffic. That is pick city. At other times Dalton has looked great with a number of long sustained drives for scores. Box of chocolates with the Bengals this season so far.

'1 and 2' sits in the 2nd wild-card spot in the NFC! There's hope for us all yet! You're only 1 game out of it 'cfh'.

This Thursday night's game between the Rams and the 49ers now takes on even greater significance.

A lot different in the AFC where 10 teams have at least 2 wins ... who said the NFC was easily the stronger conference?! ^_^

Any given Sunday - too true.

Pantaloons can you tell me how it feels to support a undefeated team? It must be a odd feeling compared to the despair we all felt after 3 rounds of Melbourne footy.

I'm taking this as a precursor to the Paul Roos Demons! Two wins for both of my football teams last season, but hoping for a reasonably quick turnaround for both. KC stuffed up some of our early picks but recently we've got them right so we've got some good young pieces in place. I'm somewhat spooked by next week's game against the Giants though. They'll be playing for their season and should be thoroughly stung by that disgusting performance. Hopefully we don't get ahead of ourselves.

As for the tipping, fair dinkum. Every week I've picked two winners and the loss each week has occurred in zany fashion. As long as I don't have to run around Demonland with my pants down if I finish on zero at the end of the season.

• Like 4

No change to the points table in the tipping comp (gaining a point is harder to attain than ... well, anything really!)

1 - cowboy from hell

1 - Macca

0 - Gorgoroth

0 - pantaloons

0 - DemonDave

0 - 45HG

0 - Norm Smith's Curse

Here's a look at the next round ... week 4 games (I can see any number of road wins this week but I could easily go 0 and 3 again!)

Oh and here's Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal's latest podcast where they try and pick the lines (they chat about the latest episode of 'Breaking Bad' towards the end of the podcast ... so beware) ... The B.S Report

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

I'll be avoiding all media on Friday so I can watch the rams game this Friday after work.

Not feeling confident but hoping our great record of playing well in our division games holds out.

That divisional record from last year was remarkable given the oppostion mate and it does give you some hope despite the poor start.

• Like 1

Wooohooo. I only start one behind in the tipping comp :) Methinks it is tougher than it sounds though....

Yep, it's even trickier now as you can 2nd guess yourself trying to find 3 'Lead pipe locks!'

Even at this early stage, it's looking like it's out of your Bengals and the Ravens for the AFC North. The Steelers should come good at some stage but they're really struggling at the moment.

Another emphatic win by the Broncos today ... Peyton was once again, immense. Denver still have to go to Indi, Dallas, New England, Houston and KC (the big improver) However, I can see them winning all their remaining 6 home games. They're still well on track for the no.1 seed in the AFC and you'd reckon that 13 wins could secure that seed. New England have some tough road games as well and although they're 3 and 0, they haven't been all that impressive. They just know how to win, all the same.

The bye for the Packers might help us in week 5 but I'm almost positive we'd prefer to be playing in week 4 after Sunday's loss. We host Detroit in week 5 and that'll be tough. They're the danger team in our division and they've got some real weapons (Bush adds a bit when healthy) I reckon they'll beat the Bears at home this week.

Edited by Macca

NFL Films does a tremendous job with their productions, and today was the premiere of 'A Football Life: Derrick Thomas'. I started following the Chiefs around 1994-95, and Thomas was my favourite player until his death. Here's a little segment:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/0ap2000000250281/A-Football-Life-Gone-too-soon

• Like 2