• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Media Release

Viney returns to Melbourne

The Melbourne Football Club is pleased to announce former Club captain Todd Viney as its new General Manager - Player Development.

Viney, who played 233 matches for Melbourne from 1987-1999 - the tenth most in the Club’s history - returns after a successful coaching career with Hawthorn and Adelaide.

Viney will report to General Manager – Football, Chris Connolly, and will work closely with senior coach Dean Bailey and General Manager - List Management, Tim Harrington on building the premiership model.

Viney will oversee the operations of the Club’s overall player development programs, including the academy with Kelly O’Donnell, and personal development with Ian Flack. He will also work closely with conditioning coaches to ensure the development of the players’ physical skills are consistent with longer term objectives in the context of the Premiership Model.

Chris Connolly said, “Todd’s appointment to this senior role will help us ensure we give all our players a development framework that will set them up for long and successful careers with the Melbourne Football Club. In particular, the next three to four years will be a critical development period for many of our emerging young players.”

Todd Viney said, “I’m really ecstatic to be returning to the Club at such an exciting time. Jim, the board, and everybody at the Club have done an amazing job in revitalising it over the last couple of years. I look forward to assisting the Club to move forward in its quest to deliver the Melbourne members, supporters and past players a thirteenth premiership, and to consistently challenge for AFL premierships over a sustained period of time”.

Previously coach of Victorian country team Moama, Viney became an assistant coach with Hawthorn from between 2004 and 2008, and was a member of the brown and gold’s premiership coaching staff in 2008. Viney then returned to his native South Australia, where he became an assistant coach at Adelaide from 2009 to 2010.

During his career with Melbourne, he captained the Club from 1998 to 1999, and played for South Australia and Australia in representative football. He won the Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott Memorial Trophy as Best and Fairest twice, in 1993 and 1998.

Viney was also named in Melbourne’s Team of the Century, is a member of the Club’s Hall of Fame, and in 2008 was named one of the red and blue’s 150 Heroes.

Viney will commence his role with the Club in early November 2010.

How freaking exciting is this??? Brilliant!

Todd will be great and has some good pedigree with the Hawks and Adelaide.

Still means that the void that Sean Wellman is still vacant.

The mind does ponder.

Gippy

That is such a massive announcement

PLayer development couldn't be in better hands & now have the added bonus of young Jack guaranteed.

How are the 3 Lyon boys progressing?

Time to get excited people

I've seen one of the Lyon's boys play, unfortunately don't get too excited, unless he is a late bloomer.

Edited by olgreydingo

Great house and land package indeed.

Good move MFC. Well done.

Where does Todd's role fit with Kelly O'Donnell's role?

Viney will report to General Manager – Football, Chris Connolly, and will work closely with senior coach Dean Bailey and General Manager - List Management, Tim Harrington on building the premiership model.

Viney will oversee the operations of the Club’s overall player development programs, including the academy with Kelly O’Donnell, and personal development with Ian Flack. He will also work closely with conditioning coaches to ensure the development of the players’ physical skills are consistent with longer term objectives in the context of the Premiership Model.

Great house and land package indeed.

Good move MFC. Well done.

Where does Todd's role fit with Kelly O'Donnell's role?

Another sound step for MFC. Certaintly cant do any harm re young Jack either!

Need to now make a good appointment of backline coash also to get goinf for 2011!

Well !!! Amazing and welcome news :) how good is this :)

Welcome back Todd ... Good to see you Jack .... I mean back :rolleyes:

I've seen one of the Lyon's boys play, unfortunately don't get too excited, unless he is a late bloomer.

Nice one mate, lets hope they dont read this site.

I know the Lyon boys, they are great kids and the best thing about them is that they all have totally different interests and are not at all footy driven. Its nice and refreshing to see them not being pushed just because of their name.

Todd's appointment is fantastic, his passion will rub off1

GREAT news!

Have to admit I got rather excited when I heard he was leaving Hawthorn a couple of years back. Was certain he'd be coming home to the MFC. Instead, he went home to SA!! I was gutted!

Guess I was just two years too early with my excitement! Better late than never!

Welcome home, Todd!

Great news!

I also have on good authority that young Jack will be signing with the MFC very soon.

Expect to see Jack training with Casey in the next year or so.

GO DEES, it's bloody exciting times.