Jack Watts Appreciation Thread

Tatu

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been annoyed with him by ever increasing amounts. Last week being a good example why. But that was perhaps his best match yet, I reckon.

He did everything but finish I think. He's just starting to show the embryonic stages of a player who isn't afraid to just say "This is my ball, everyone outta the way!"

Still a long way to go of course, but well done big Jack. Stay the course.

Jack may be tall, he may be big but he's still only a kid and he will mature over the next couple of years in to a good player. I remember seeing Goddard in his first few games/years and he was always out on his own picking up cheap possessions and avoiding packs like they contained doses of the plague, he now is one of the most valuable players in the comp. Jack will grow up both physically and mentally and will become a very good player for us he has great skill and once he gets used to the pace he will be a joy to watch.

I heard Schwarta talking about him the other week and he said he is about 20% slower than the other players out on the field at the moment, once he gets on top of that he will start to improve; he needs a good pre season.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

It was a bit of a good, the bad and the ugly today. It's good to see him getting more of it and wanting to get involved in the play but he did make some ordinary skill errors and tried to do a little bit too much some times.

That said I don't see it as anything to worry about - the skill errors were just some nerves and the trying to do to much is just a learning thing as he gets to grips that he can't break tackles (yet) like he used to in the school games, and the game doesn't let him have that extra second he is used to.

It's up to him now - he has the skills and will be a big unit in a couple of years so he just needs to learn from his mistakes and get that belief that he can mix it with the best.

I reckon he will.

It's been great to see Jack Watts get more of the ball in the last couple of weeks, he's really developing nicely.

Agree 100%. Today he attacked the footy and showed that he has caught up with AFL tempo and pressure. Dropped an easy mark 55m out in the last Q but everyone is allowed to make mistakes. To his unfair critics on this forum. Give the kid a break and remember his limited experience. BTW, compare Jack's stats over the past 6 weeks with Nic Nat. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I was really pleased with the whole team's resolve after quarter time and we didn't hear the "Heave Ho " from Dockers fans until the last 2 mins. I'm sure we are gaining much respect. I heard one Docker fan say to his mate on the way out," My heart was in my mouth when Watts was shooting for goal near the end." The third quarter was a beauty and interestingly, we kicked 6.3 to the Dockers 1.2. Exactly the same scores as the first quarter but in reverse. Funny game footy.

anyone who has played the game would have missed an easy shot at goal and got tackled...unless you never got the ball.

jack played well...if anything we should be happy with his progress...his progress is reward to the coaching staff and selection committee that keep picking him...he has shown improvement and progress at afl level...

i hope he keeps playing the rest of the year and doesn't get any injuries. based on age he's still really a first year player.

Edited by disco_demon

He is learning to work and to be honest I have been supprised by his work rate ove the past couple of weeks. The last quarter he was spent and errors happen. The set shots, I bet if you go down to training this week he will be working on the shots on an angle. Once he gets stronger through the legs he will be able to stand in tackles and dish off, at the moment once he is caught he is done. I thought his field kicking yesterday was fantastic he didn't miss to many targets by foot, but his two set shots let him down.

Edited by drdrake

Guest watts04

well done jack, id be crappin myself out there as a 19yr old

will be a gun once he develops, one of his pick ups for a guy his size was abnormal

20 possies and an influence - congrats

hes only just starting to feel like he belongs out there and that its his natural place of work. Lacks the polish of the finish but that too will come . Hes a way off yet .....but getting there :)

He keeps getting more of it and being involved more and more each week.

The 'kid' needs a big pre-season. Players of 200 games need pre-seasons & Jack has yet to complete one. I reckon next year he will start to take control of some games for us and will be a beauty.

Had he finished off some of his work would be a certain Rising Star this week, still could be. His finishing has been fantastic so far and I was a bit surprised he didn't kick that goal in the last but it didnt miss by a lot, not as if he sprayed the thing.

We have something really good here and people that went early - sit back and enjoy!

He is learning to work and to be honest I have been supprised by his work rate ove the past couple of weeks. The last quarter he was spent and errors happen. The set shots, I bet if you go down to training this week he will be working on the shots on an angle. Once he gets stronger through the legs he will be able to stand in tackles and dish off, at the moment once he is caught he is done. I thought his field kicking yesterday was fantastic he didn't miss to many targets by foot, but his two set shots let him down.

Agree dr d. he wasn't the only one to make mistakes later in the game with fatigue and high pressure. Pav had a couple of shocking kicks late. No one seems to point these out..watts is damn quick for a big boy a few more kgs, and a big preseason, watch out opposition...

Still playing basketball out there. Some pretty amazing moments of it too. But then makes too many errors when it comes to the football part. Just about everything you would expect from a young tall with supreme talent.

I heard Schwarta talking about him the other week and he said he is about 20% slower than the other players out on the field at the moment, once he gets on top of that he will start to improve; he needs a good pre season.

I disagree with schwarta, I think Jack has an easy running style that does not make him look quick. Think of Buddy running away from Hooker a couple of weeks ago, Hooker was going flat out and Buddy appeared to be cruising. I am personally not to fussed about what Jack does in terms of stats at the moment, It is his work rate I have been watching and the past few weeks it has really inceased. It is a big ground over there and he worked up and back both ends, if he keeps working hard the marks, kicks and handballs will come, a couple of preseasons and more strength through his legs and he will have the power to take some of those tackles. The kid is going to be a very good player, he also has a little bit of agro in him which is nice to see. I will enjoy watching him develop over the next couple of years.

Oh and on Schwarta, I wouldn't read into what he has to say, not much positive about Jack, Brian Taylor is the worst, Jack can't do a thing right, I look forward to the day Jack dominates a game BT is commentating.

If Jack Watts wasn't Jack Watts, not much would be said about him at all. As Master Demon observes - some good, bad and ugly: this is true with most players, most of the time.

We praise or attack performances by the team or by individuals on the basis of how much was 'good' or 'bad' or 'ugly'.

So far, Jack isn't much of anything - he had two chances, at the end of quarters, to make a hero of himself, but couldn't; there were a few blunders and fumbles elsewhere, but he got some valuable possessions and disposed the ball fairly efficiently.

As I said, if we didn't have such a high expectation, we wouldn't bother having this thread.

I can only hope that optimists are right.

I was really disappointed for Watts yesterday. Had he slotted those 2 goals (half time siren, and 3 minutes before the end), it would have been his break-out game and everyone would've been super impressed.

However, he choked, and now the constant ignorant ridicule continues for a few more rounds.

Regardless, Watts is developing fine. 2nd season, has the body of a boy, but has great agility and skills. Will clearly become a very good player, just needs a bigger body and the right attitude

You sense Jack could have a breakout game any week now, his improvement has been consistant and steady.

Yesterday, could have been his break out game but he chocked on two set shots to win the game.

I am betting that his next opportunity will not go begging.

You sense Jack could have a breakout game any week now, his improvement has been consistant and steady.

What i'm liking is he's getting to more and more contests and involving himself in the game. The kid's got polish and looks clutch so it was surprising yesterday but he's building his engine and work rate which will ensure he'll be a jet when his body catches up.

He'll have a massive break out game by the end of the year. I'm confident with a good preseason and miles in the legs, 2011 Jack Watts version will take a massive leap.

I'm not sure if we will see the breakout game this year - just consistantly good solid games. I think he is playing wonderful football and what really impresses me is the time he seems to have when he gets the footy. That's not a learned behaviour it is a natural ability and he is one of a few players in the afl who has it.

Looking forward to a big pre season and seeing him start 2011 off with a bang destroying Stratton in Round 1!

I'm not sure if we will see the breakout game this year - just consistantly good solid games. I think he is playing wonderful football and what really impresses me is the time he seems to have when he gets the footy. That's not a learned behaviour it is a natural ability and he is one of a few players in the afl who has it.

Looking forward to a big pre season and seeing him start 2011 off with a bang destroying Stratton in Round 1!

Slightly biased there Nath. At the moment Watts is a big man with a boys body that is starting to find more of the footy. He is a guy that has good foot skills but he just needs to work on his attack on the ball. Admittedly, I was getting a bit worried about Jacks ability to actually find the footy. I felt like Bailey should have moved him up the ground just to get his confidence up. Finally Bailey listened to me (against Essendon) and is improving since then