This kid looks a freak...

Inner Demon

Check out this article - Australia's most wanted athlete Sam Day

Interesting story from a general perspective in that this kid sounds like an absolute freak who might wind up terrorising the comp for GC.

But the real value in checking out the article is the final line. I won't spoil it by just posting it because I think its value comes from the lead in.

Wow. based on that final line Inner Demon, also the way he is talked up in general - he's top 3 material. Damn that GC. I'd rather him pursue Baseball.

I'd prefer he plays AFL and in turn increases the depth of he draft so we get another decent kid to add to our talent pool.

I guess it depends on where we finish on the ladder; the higher we finish the more I hope he plays footy.

fair point of view. point noted. guess i'm selfish in that if we can't get someone who can dominate the likes of cox, niknat, minson, taylor, jolly & co. then i don't want any team to get him. least of all gold coast.

Honestly don't mean to sound negative and its not what i am hoping for this season. But if we win 4 games or less this year do we get a priority pick being number 1 again?? if we have any more major injuries too experienced players this may make winning games very hard thats the only reason i ask. This kid looks pretty good though!

Edited by Daz's Dee's

I was more enjoying that the phrase, "I'd rate him as highly as Trengove" is already being bandied about.

The article was focussed on hyping what a freak this kid is and how damaging he could be, and the best way his coach could find some summarise how good he could be is to compare him to our Jack T.

Quick question for those in the know...

We all know the eligibility for last years draft was limited. From memory it wasn't a list of names within a 12 months period, as they changed the age of requirement to better suit GC17.

So going by that logic, will this year's draft's eligible age be increased by as much as last year's was limited? ie, if the age for players to be recruited was shortened by 5 months, would it then make sense that this year's draft would be for a 17 month period?

If that's true, then pick 4, or 6, or 8 or whatever we end up with will still be a QUALITY bit of talent, you'd think.

(If that made any sense. :D )

Guest Thomo

If you blanked out the name it could almost be talking about Jack Watts. Same Height at the same age, dominated draft testing, very good basketballer. Hopefully Watts makes the most of his natural ability.

If you blanked out the name it could almost be talking about Jack Watts. Same Height at the same age, dominated draft testing, very good basketballer. Hopefully Watts makes the most of his natural ability.

Exactly.

Reading the OP before the article I figured the end would have him compared to Killer.

Either way, I just hope it means we end up with a player like Darling (sexcapades notwithstanding)

Another Jack to add to the pack!

Honestly don't mean to sound negative and its not what i am hoping for this season. But if we win 4 games or less this year do we get a priority pick being number 1 again?? if we have any more major injuries too experienced players this may make winning games very hard thats the only reason i ask. This kid looks pretty good though!

I could be wrong but I remember reading that either the priority pick is gone or it gets bumped down the order this year and next. Was explained along the lines so that it guarantees that GC and GWS have the first pick no matter what.

Priority pick I think came in at number 4 at best.

I could be wrong but I remember reading that either the priority pick is gone or it gets bumped down the order this year and next. Was explained along the lines so that it guarantees that GC and GWS have the first pick no matter what.

Priority pick I think came in at number 4 at best.

The priority pick has been abolished for at least 2010 & 2011. The AFL has not committed to it returning in the same form either.

No doubt the media frenzy around "tanking" will force a change in 2012.

The priority pick has been abolished for at least 2010 & 2011. The AFL has not committed to it returning in the same form either.

No doubt the media frenzy around "tanking" will force a change in 2012.

Am I right or wrong in saying we're still eligible for the priority pick if we finish with 4 or less wins. But that priority pick would be pick 4 ?

(IE. If we finish 16th with 18 or less points = pick 4 (priority choice) & 6 (effectively first choice)) ?

Heavens above that is not the case... :rolleyes:

Are correct, although I didn't think it was abolished, just kicks in later on. As I said earlier, I read that GC gets first pick in every round no matter what. I just have to remember where I read it so I can update as to exactly what's going on should we win 4 or less games.

I think this was it...

Age Article

Edited by Age

Am I right or wrong in saying we're still eligible for the priority pick if we finish with 4 or less wins. But that priority pick would be pick 4 ?

(IE. If we finish 16th with 18 or less points = pick 4 (priority choice) & 6 (effectively first choice)) ?

Heavens above that is not the case... :rolleyes:

No, you are wrong. No team is eligible for a priority pick in 2010 or 2011.

Even if we finish with 2 wins for the season, we will only get pick 4 and another team will get pick 6.

Edit: on the back of the article Age linked to it would seem I am wrong.

Everything I have read on the tainted drafts up until this point has indicated there will be no priority pick.

Unless the system was revised after this article was published.

I've not found anything on the AFL website.

Edited by Enforcer25

No, you are wrong. No team is eligible for a priority pick in 2010 or 2011.

Even if we finish with 2 wins for the season, we will only get pick 4 and another team will get pick 6.

Edit: on the back of the article Age linked to it would seem I am wrong.

Everything I have read on the tainted drafts up until this point has indicated there will be no priority pick.

Unless the system was revised after this article was published.

I've not found anything on the AFL website.

Going by this thread back in Nov, no there isn't. Had the feeling it's been discussed before.

No priority pick in 2010.

PS. Age's article link (Aug '09) referred to Melbourne only eligible having priority first choice - 2009 Draft that is.

This question was posed about a month ago. I read that if we finish bottom and we win 4 or less, we get picks 4 and 6. The priority draft still lives, but in modified form. GC will automatically get the 1st 3 picks. Swallow is already pick as one of the 3 and is training with GC this year. Jack Darling in WA looks a very good chance for one of the other 2 spots.

This question was posed about a month ago. I read that if we finish bottom and we win 4 or less, we get picks 4 and 6. The priority draft still lives, but in modified form. GC will automatically get the 1st 3 picks. Swallow is already pick as one of the 3 and is training with GC this year. Jack Darling in WA looks a very good chance for one of the other 2 spots.

There is NO priority pick in the 2010 and 2011 draft.

Here is the link to the GC concessions and at the bottom is the schedule for picks:

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=76855

If you finish last you get pick 4 then pick 27. HOWEVER!!! GC have already accessed the top 12 17 year olds already.

So pick 4 really is pick 16. Pick 27 is really pick 39!!

There is no way for a team to rebuild through the draft for 2010 and 2011, all the talent has already gone.

And that is why the MFC went so hard to get the draft picks this year.

Edited by george_on_the_outer

Picks 4, 6 or 8 are always potentially quality bits of talent.

Um. Yes.

My point is that in a draft that is bound to be deeper (mathematically), perhaps 6 is more like 4, and 8 is more like 5... so on and so forth. This would be particularly important if we DO end up 12th-ish. As depth will make a big difference.

Here is the link to the GC concessions and at the bottom is the schedule for picks:

http://www.afl.com.a...px?newsid=76855

If you finish last you get pick 4 then pick 27. HOWEVER!!! GC have already accessed the top 12 17 year olds already.

There is no way for a team to rebuild through the draft for 2010 and 2011, all the talent has already gone.

Not convinced by that George, that article makes no mention of the priority pick. I've just had a quick search via google and haven't been able to find an article stating a definite for either way however the previous article linked in this thread does state that we are the only club eligible for a pp in 2010.

I seem to remember an article stating that if we do get it again it will be after QC's first three picks, ie no.4. But I'm not sure whether it would be 4 & 5 or 4 & 6, I'm guessing the latter.

As for the talent available, I agree that GC will get the best kids (obviously) but it's still a very strong draft with alot of depth. I've heard some so called 'experts' say that without the extra benefits to GC it would have been the best ever, but even as it is it's still considered extremely strong. The top three seem to be Darling, Swallow and, take your pick of either Day, Cripps or Bennell. Potentially picks 4 & 6 will reap extremely good talent.

Obviously though between now and then soem players will improve (like Watts & Trengove) and other falter (see Butcher) but this is just a demonstration.

Personally I hope we don't get anywhere near a PP, but we'll probably still have a pick in the top 10 (or close to it)

I don't think that things are so bad that we have to start talking about priority picks just yet. We will win our fair share of games this year, not as many as we would like but we will win enough to not have to worry about a priority.

We are a good chance to win first up and if so it will be interesting to see how the mood changes on here.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=76855

Here's the link referring to the GWS's pick concessions and the schedule of picks: -

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86738/default.aspx