JUDD- Is he a Leader ??????

jayceebee31

At West Coast- he did not want to lead the West Coast Eagles after the Cousins affair. Now at Carlton,he definately is not showing the leadership qualities of a reasonably young Carlton group. After his stupid excuse saying he was trying to use a pressure point- and got rubbed out- did not show on field leadership and in particular captaincy.Also, him unable to to stop the Fevola antics and now- the booze boat trip asks questions about his leadership.He seems he wants to be one of the boys. Maybe he wants to feel accepted. He may have a personality complex.

Also shows why our MFC football department felt it crucial to have McDonald (Junior) reappointed captain. Leadership is critical in the development of a young team, your thoughts ?.

Edited by jayceebee31

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judd was shoved the captaincy because Cousins imploded. He was not awarded the captaincy on due merit and respect but a knee jerk reaction by the West Coast management to diffuse a malignant Club situation of its own making. It was a clayton's captaincy at best and I fully understand why he did not want it and did not like the culture and wanted to leave. When WCE won the flag and he was on the dais with the trophy it was telling that he called Cousins up there. An appalling situation.

Its also disgraceful that he could not stop Fevola and his behaviour. As chief wet nurse he should have kept 24 hour guard over Fevola, slapped his wrist and gone tsk tsk tsk when he strayed. As for the boat trip, was Judd on it? What were Judd's actions on it? who did the Club organise to be there outside the playing group when they booked the function?

Sorry to hear that Judd my have a personality complex. Poor chap.

Leadership is important but player behaviour is the responsibility of each and every individual. Captains can only set the example but not be responsible for each player at all times. This was a function organised by the Club for the players. The Club should be rightly embarrassed for this. It was a potential disaster waiting to happen and it could not have happened to a more deseriving club.

I think he is great at leading by example because in most aspects of his football he performs to the height of professionalism.

However, I'd maybe question his abilities at being a leader of men without regard to football.

He has always struck me as a guy who enjoys being a bit different from the norm and a little bit aloof, which might alienate his teammates slightly.

The guy drives a hybrid car and prides himself on his slighlty off-beat extracurricular interests (I remember this from an article about Judd when he first went to Carlton).

Leadership is important but player behaviour is the responsibility of each and every individual. Captains can only set the example but not be responsible for each player at all times. This was a function organised by the Club for the players. The Club should be rightly embarrassed for this. It was a potential disaster waiting to happen and it could not have happened to a more deseriving club.

I read that Houlihan was one of the organisers?

Sounded like a function for the players, by the players, to me.

I read that Houlihan was one of the organisers?

Sounded like a function for the players, by the players, to me.

Thanks stand corrected on that.

I still think that given the continual rubbish they had from Fevola particularly on Brownlow night that the Club (lead by Sticks) would have been doing more to repair some of the cultural damage left by Fevola. Its not just up to one person. its also disappointing because Houli is almost the most experienced player on the list. Its seems a legacy issue at Carlton where Fev was the leading light. Serves them all right.

I still think that given the continual rubbish they had from Fevola particularly on Brownlow night that the Club (lead by Sticks) would have been doing more to repair some of the cultural damage left by Fevola. Its not just up to one person. its also disappointing because Houli is almost the most experienced player on the list. Its seems a legacy issue at Carlton where Fev was the leading light. Serves them all right.

I'd have thought so too.

Amazing that they could stand by and let this event go ahead like this, or that the players haven't been seriously forewarned against this sort of behaviour.

Not to mention the organising players being members of the leadership group.

I know North had chicken-gate not so long ago, but that should have reinforced the need for sensible behaviour coming from those in leadership positions.

As many people have pointed out, it is the epitome of irony that Sticks Kernahan should be made to berate his players for this sort of behaviour.

Rotten to the core, that club, and I couldn't be any happier about it.

You blokes have no idea.

I have it on good authority that while the cruise was going on last Saturday arvo, Judd was fulfilling his vital role as environmental emissary for Visy. Not one of his players was allowed to chunder their poisonous bile into the Yarra (they left that on the deck) and not a single tinnie was allowed to drop off board to pollute the waters of our precious little river.

The man can do no wrong!

You blokes have no idea.

I have it on good authority that while the cruise was going on last Saturday arvo, Judd was fulfilling his vital role as environmental emissary for Visy. Not one of his players was allowed to chunder their poisonous bile into the Yarra (they left that on the deck) and not a single tinnie was allowed to drop off board to pollute the waters of our precious little river.

The man can do no wrong!

The major issue for me is that Judd is publicly not seen as a strong captain. Behind closed doors it may be a different issue but that's the issue for the football public. He seems to be a captain behind closed doors. If he was not on that cruise and was doing Visy work then he and Sticks should call a press conference publicly expressing their dissapointment of the playing group and apoligising to Carlton fans who i'm sure are quite sick and tired of hearing the same old stories again.

If the same thing happened at Melbourne Victory i'm sure the club would have gone on the front foot with Ernie Merrrick and Kevin Muscat apoligising to fans for being irresponsible. Young footballers have to be given strong leadership and values and that includes off field behaviour.

And according to wikipedia..."Crucial qualities of a club captain include determination and stamina, being able to get along with everybody, and being an intelligent, tactically minded player. Club captains can also take on certain responsibilities within the playing staff, such as organising morale-boosting events and looking after younger players."

...looking after young players...huh!

i dont think its juddys fault, this behaviours been going on at PP since the Dominators glory days, why should judd have his pants pulled down because he teamates are no good,, he picked the wrong club when he came back to VIC.

Please note I am not saying it is his fault- however as a leader he knows (especially after the West Coast fury and the the Fevola booze up) that the guys were out of control.He would have known that a rookie was in a drink off with a senior player and as a leader could have said enough is enough.A leader is one the players look up to- similar to our players looking up to Junior and before him Neita.

Edited by jayceebee31

Please note I am not saying it is his fault- however as a leader he knows (especially after the West Coast fury and the the Fevola booze up that the guys were out of control.He would have known that a rookie was in a drink off with a senior player and as a leader could have said enough is enough.A leader is one the players look up to- similar to our players looking up to Junior and before him Neita.

i didnt say that you said its his fault, theres been alot issues when juddys been a skipper, drugs , booze, maybe he cant control his players because hes never with them, who would you rather go to a bar with, fev or twigley.

Who cares-it's carlton and they deserve every bit of it.

I am just hoping that all these incidents mount up and really hurt them next season.

They are a club who have always thought they are above reproach-well let's just wait and see on that one.

i just want the MFC to beat them next year-otherwise i am enjoying the comedy.

Ju$$ should have come home to the team he followed, he didn't so anything that happens now is his own choice

Sleep well ju$$y over these coming months.

You may be on the wrong boat after all :lol:

If anyone has any doubts about Judd's capacity to captain men -

The 50-strong group that boarded the Lady Lindeman on Saturday for lunch and a cruise along the Yarra was believed to have included captain Chris Judd and most of Carlton's senior players.

A spokesman for Rivers Restaurant Cruises & Boat Charters said some players appeared to have been already drunk when they arrived.

He said some players ignored warnings about their drinking and aggressive behaviour.

"They were drunk as skunks and there was nothing we could do to control the alcohol consumption," he said.

"It's actually quite embarrassing. They made absolute a---holes of themselves.

"We had to pull the pin on the cruise after several warnings ... because they were fighting among themselves.

Judd and most of the club's senior players were on this cruise and "and there was nothing we could do to control the alcohol consumption".

Then, in the week following this circus, the captain isn't there to face the music or give his version of events. Why did he apparently do nothing to help the boat's staff rein in the drinking, what was he doing while the young rookie was being humiliated, why is he silent?

There's only one answer.

The man is bereft of leadership skills. Not his fault. He's a great player, shitty captain and he's let the team down badly.

The man is bereft of leadership skills. Not his fault. He's a great player, shitty captain and he's let the team down badly.

There's definitely something fishy going on with the booze cruise and Judd. As captain it was his responsibility to keep a lid on alcohol consumption and yet there's no evidence that he lifted a finger to stop it. Then, on the other hand, if he was trying then the players showed him no respect.

This is the bloke who in his early days was able to convince by example the other players of the benefits of a healthy diet. No such example these days with respect to this drinking binge.

I think everyone is missing the point here. It seems clear to me that these incidents, while occurring in the past (generally with Fev), were nowhere near as frequent as they have been in the last month. Clearly we are seeing here the influence of renowned bad egg Brock McLean on his new playing group. While it says something about his ability to lead men that he has so quickly had such a profound impact, I think it says more about his character that he should pick up his hard drinking ways so soon after departing Melbourne.

But seriously...

It looks to me like Fev wasn't the only troublemaker at the club. I'm wondering how often his drinking was urged on by his fellow senior players. We'll see soon enough now that he's in Brisbane how much he differs in his public demeanor.

I have no questions about Judd's on field leadership. He is a player who can take a game and change the result. However, there have to be some serious questions about what he does away from the game. I can't see Junior letting that sort of thing go on, nor can I see Judd calling a struggling junior player and telling him that he's doing well and if he keeps it up things will improve. To me he seems more and more a spoiled child who is being treated like royalty and has let it go to his head. Perhaps if Visy fired him from his ambassadorial role he might have more time to devote to the going s on at the club?

But seriously...

It looks to me like Fev wasn't the only troublemaker at the club. I'm wondering how often his drinking was urged on by his fellow senior players. We'll see soon enough now that he's in Brisbane how much he differs in his public demeanor.

I have no questions about Judd's on field leadership. He is a player who can take a game and change the result. However, there have to be some serious questions about what he does away from the game. I can't see Junior letting that sort of thing go on, nor can I see Judd calling a struggling junior player and telling him that he's doing well and if he keeps it up things will improve. To me he seems more and more a spoiled child who is being treated like royalty and has let it go to his head. Perhaps if Visy fired him from his ambassadorial role he might have more time to devote to the going s on at the club?

Fire him from his ambassadorial role?????

Fair go. That role involves less than a day's work and probably earns him 25% of his annual income. That's far too important to distract him away from to concentrate on trivial matters like team leadership.

The Club should be rightly embarrassed for this. It was a potential disaster waiting to happen and it could not have happened to a more deseriving club.

While I agree that if this sort of thing was going to happen, it couldn't happen to a more deserving club, it is none-the-less disappointing that it occurred at all. While I understand that 'boys will be boys', our game can do without this sort of publicity, and there has been far too much of it lately.

I live in Canberra, where the media is continuously full of crap like this in connection with ARL clubs. The image of that competition has suffered enormously as a result, and I would hate to think that our game could be tarnished in a similar way.

I think everyone is missing the point here. It seems clear to me that these incidents, while occurring in the past (generally with Fev), were nowhere near as frequent as they have been in the last month. Clearly we are seeing here the influence of renowned bad egg Brock McLean on his new playing group. While it says something about his ability to lead men that he has so quickly had such a profound impact, I think it says more about his character that he should pick up his hard drinking ways so soon after departing Melbourne.

Surely you jest. But some on here would believe it.

But McLean has been quiet in proceedings on this. Good for him.

Fevola was a serious and pathological troublemaker at Carlton. Lets not hide his problems behind blaming others. Fev was his own worst enemy. Brisbane wont prove you right at all. If he is no trouble then he might have grown up.

People seem to forget that outside Judd, there are few ledership players in a young team. This is evidence by the most experienced forward after Fev left, Houli arranging this fiasco.

You like other dont have a clue what Judd is like off the field. Some of the carp printed here by posters on Judd really begs for some factual evidence. It is clear that we dont know what actions Judd took on the cruise and we dont know what he like off the field. What we do know and has been evidenced so far is that aside from Judd, who are the team leaders at Carlton. I can name them at MFC but I can see them at Carlton. The culture damage that Fev caused for so long did not leave when he did.

While I agree that if this sort of thing was going to happen, it couldn't happen to a more deserving club, it is none-the-less disappointing that it occurred at all. While I understand that 'boys will be boys', our game can do without this sort of publicity, and there has been far too much of it lately.

I live in Canberra, where the media is continuously full of crap like this in connection with ARL clubs. The image of that competition has suffered enormously as a result, and I would hate to think that our game could be tarnished in a similar way.

I agree with the image problem it causes. I am just glad it isnt MFC. I have no sympathy for Carlton.

I agree with the image problem it causes. I am just glad it isnt MFC. .........................

Agree 1000% with that ....................... and if it did happen at Melbourne, I hope (and believe!!) that it would be dealt with more expeditiously, and more appropriately, than it has at Carlton.

You like other dont have a clue what Judd is like off the field. Some of the carp printed here by posters on Judd really begs for some factual evidence. It is clear that we dont know what actions Judd took on the cruise and we dont know what he like off the field. What we do know and has been evidenced so far is that aside from Judd, who are the team leaders at Carlton. I can name them at MFC but I can see them at Carlton. The culture damage that Fev caused for so long did not leave when he did.

No we don't know what Judd is like off the field but it's not the first time he either hasn't put a stop too trouble or he hasn't been able too. The fact remains that he chose Carlton and I'm just loving how well it's all turning out for the two of them.