Best 22 from 2009 Season

Keyser Söze

Based on their performance in 2009 and nothing else, this is the equivalent of the All Australian team but made up of only players from the MFC list.

This is not based on potential or players you expect to improve and hold down a spot in 2010, this is purely a judgement of who performed the best overall in which positions over the course of season 2009.

Basically, in other threads discussing a 2010 best 22 a lot of people struggle to fit Miller in, but I wonder what they think of his 2009 performance?

There wasn't much competition for the CHF position. There are a few other players who I'm interested to see how people judge.

This might even give a truer representation, in some respects, of which players a Round 1 2010 team is likely to consist of, minus any draftees that push their way into the side.

My Best 22 of 2009 :

B: Warnock, Rivers, Bennell

HB: Bruce, Frawley, Grimes

C: Morton, Moloney, Davey

HF: Sylvia, Miller, Green

F: Bate, Jurrah, Martin

R: Jamar, Jones, Junior

I: Petterd, Dunn, Jetta, Maric

Good thread.

My Best 22 of 2009 :

B: Rivers, Warnock, Bennell

HB: Davey, Frawley, Grimes

C: Morton, Moloney, McDonald

HF: Bruce, Miller, Green

F: Jurrah, Bate, Martin

R: Jamar, Sylvia, Jones

I: Petterd, McLean, Jetta, Dunn

It depends on whether you consider how many games each player played.

Garland had one good game, but he only played one game - does that merit an inclusion?

That's an outsider for some people.

True.

This exercise is tougher than I first imagined.

I actually considered Garland and thought it inappropriate to include him on the back of only one game, but then included Green on the back of half a season.

Double standards maybe.

I just think that players won't be given spots in the side based purely on potential - they will have to earn those spots - and was looking to highlight that.

This could easily see Miller start round 1 aT CHF and a player like Jetta, who is managing to get squeezed out of many 'Round 1 2010' sides, would easily slide in based on his end-of-season form.

True.

This exercise is tougher than I first imagined.

I actually considered Garland and thought it inappropriate to include him on the back of only one game, but then included Green on the back of half a season.

Double standards maybe.

I just think that players won't be given spots in the side based purely on potential - they will have to earn those spots - and was looking to highlight that.

This could easily see Miller start round 1 aT CHF and a player like Jetta, who is managing to get squeezed out of many 'Round 1 2010' sides, would easily slide in based on his end-of-season form.

I reckon the best way to do it, is to work out a criteria, and then ask people for their best 22.

Someone may want to include a player who played 22 ordinary games ahead of a player who played a handful of good games and vica versa.

My Best 22 of 2009 :

B: Warnock, Rivers, Bennell

HB: Bruce, Frawley, Grimes

C: Morton, Moloney, Davey

HF: Sylvia, Miller, Green

F: Bate, Jurrah, Martin

R: Jamar, Jones, Junior

I: Petterd, Dunn, Jetta, Maric

interesting exclusion of Mclean... do you think he wouldn't be in our first team?

Would you want a team position-wise, or AA style. because really, Davey played most of the season off HB.

interesting exclusion of Mclean... do you think he wouldn't be in our first team?

I thought his 2009 was absolutely woeful and well below what he is capable of.

Remember, this is rating his 2009 performance, not future potential or years past.

Having said that he probably still could've squeezed on the bench at the expense of Maric.

Would you want a team position-wise, or AA style. because really, Davey played most of the season off HB.

True. Didn't really take the necessary time to consider my team, just wanted to get the thread out there.

AA style would be better, but i still think based on 2009 form, Miller was our best option for CHF so deserves a guernsey.

Whether this applies to AA rules i'm not sure.

The two things that stick out in my mind are: our best ruckman and whether Jetta would get a place

Yeah, I just thought presenting a best 22 in a different way would highlight some issues not yet covered.

I think Jetta on the back of 2009 should slot straight into the side and I have high hopes for him.

Unfortunately I think he in particular has a lot of competition for the sort of role he would play.

Remember, this is rating his 2009 performance, not future potential or years past.

Having said that he probably still could've squeezed on the bench at the expense of Maric.

McLean might have been poor this year but he did play 20 games and finished 11th in the Bluey.

And if you are ranking performance then how does Maric get a guernsey? I dont think you have consistently applied your metrics.

As you pointed out, due to injury Garland cant be in but Green can be on half a season. I cant think of anyone that performed better than he did in his role.

I think Dunn and Jetta get there by default but I cant think of far better options. Highlights the year we have had.

I was going to ask you about your exclusion of McLean. I thought he had done more than enough to make the starting 22 having played the majority of games. I wouldn't say his season was woeful. But it wasn't his best either.

PS. Yet, only two posters have contributed their 2009 sides so far.

Edited by High Tower

Probably Melbourne's best hope for a win in 2009:

B Frawley Warnock Bennell

HB Grimes Rivers Morton

C Davey Moloney Bruce

HF Bate Miller Sylvia

F Petterd Jurrah Green

Foll Jamar McLean Jones

INT Martin Dunn McDonald P Johnson

EMERG - Bartram, Jetta, Cheney.

- Bruce played his best footy off half back, so I probably should've pushed him in the back 6

- P Johnson lucky to be in the side, as he only featured in 2 of our wins but he rucked successfully by himself (V Freo, WCE and WB). Must recapture 2008 form to save career.

- Jetta very stiff to miss as he came good late. But he seemed to get a game early because he was the only option.

- Bartram and Cheney played plenty of games but you can't count on the skill level of these 2.

I'd expect to see these gradual changes to the best '22' in 2010:

Ins - Scully, Trengove, MacDonald, Watts, Aussie.

Outs - McLean, Dunn, P Johnson, Miller and maybe a veteran if their body fails (Rivers, Bruce, Jmac???)

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

I think Maric over McLean is a bit silly (as you've conceded). Other than that, your 22 looks about right, KS.

I reckon the best way to do it, is to work out a criteria, and then ask people for their best 22.

There was an attempt - KS said 'based on performance in 2009 only'. However, you're right - setting criteria for stuff like this is important, otherwise the debate turns on the definition of 'best', rather than who was actually in the best.

Until I started to form a 22 I didn't realise how difficult this task was.

The fact that so many players were missing for significant chunks of the season means that certain players played well in the same spots and it is necessary to do the team All Australian style.

Personally, with Maric, I watched him closely and thought he did quite well with the role he was fulfilling, made the right decisions considering the situations he found himself in... just unfortunately he didn't exert a great influence on games like I think he should be able to do in the future.

I'm a fan.

... but I concede I was kidding myself to include him in the 22 at the expense of a player like Mclean.