World Cup loses its cheer

beelzebub

What? Love ya Bub, but sometimes you're off the planet.

I'm saying your point, that the olympics didn't disrupt the season, was beside the sponsorship issue.

I'd assume, though this isn't my thing, that most of the world cup sponsorship would come from international companies who probably sponsor each world cup.

We also can't disregard the idea that the next TV rights deal will be around $1bn, who knows what the one after will be, it's utterly outrageous to assume that we can't make plans for 10 years down the track - especially when considering other leagues around the world do it.

4 weeks to change signage? Please

Edited by 45hotgod16

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? Love ya Bub, but sometimes you're off the planet.

I'm saying your point, that the olympics didn't disrupt the season, was beside the sponsorship issue.

try noting your own order of reply hey !!..A poster mentioned teh disruption to season and sponsoorship.. you countered about they didnt with repsect to olympics.. I counterd. its not that hard ;)
I'd assume, though this isn't my thing, that most of the world cup sponsorship would come from international companies who probably sponsor each world cup.

We also can't disregard the idea that the next TV rights deal will be around $1bn, who knows what the one after will be, it's utterly outrageous to assume that we can't make plans for 10 years down the track - especially when considering other leagues around the world do it.

4 weeks to change signage? Please

Some of the same companies that sponsor these big events.. also sponsor local teams...all things fall to budgets.

where are you slotting the TV rights into any of this ?/ just for clarity

I agree signage can be done in days

Haha good spot, I apologize.

TV rights I bring up as I assume it would be possible for the AFL to budget any shortcomings that teams may encounter. How much money do we earn per season from sponsorship out of interest?

My point with the big companies sponsoring these events is that they most likely sponsor it every 4 years, and AFL sponsorship does not suffer from it.

Just sounds too much like fear mongering to me

No doubt the papers and such will colour this black every which way from sunday...if it sells a paper.. But there is much amunition with which to play.

if a deal could be struck to allow AFl games outside of a peripheral of ..say40 k( hmm where's casey again ..lol ) if teh AFL ( and other sports) were accomodated with compensation.. if the exclusion period could be more rationally sorted ( abridged ) If a reasonable fixture could be worked around it without any great disadvantage to any stakeholders then you have a blueprint for all concerned...All win..all happy

if you cant...then bunfight !!

• 2 weeks later...

Things are starting to heat up. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/afl-fumin...o-1225807505412

“There’s no way that could be sustained,” Mr Demetriou said.

He said information from soccer bodies “seems to change consistently”.

Advice had changed from AFL games being able to continue at other venues, then scrapped for four, then eight weeks, and now apparently 16 weeks during the the MCG closure.

Angry AFL chiefs, who were not told of the proposed MCG overhaul during recent discussions, are growing more agitated by what they say is a lack of transparency by the FFA and FIFA - soccer's international governing body.

The World Cup bid will also affect the National Rugby League competition and its State-of-Origin series.

"All sports have said they will support the bid for the World Cup, but it's hard when FIFA and Australian soccer officials show no respect," a high-level source said.

"While they are happy to fly around the world and brief FIFA delegates, they appear unwilling to tell anyone in Australia what is really going to happen. They have deliberately kept us in the dark."

Sounds like the FFA knows it's going to be unworkable with other codes and is trying to stonewall the inevitable and powerful opposition that's coming.

As I said earlier I would much rather an AFL season than an Australian World Cup. The World Cup will still be on if it's not here, the AFL won't.

Even more disconcerting is lines from the article such as this

But in a worst-case scenario, clubs including Melbourne, North Melbourne or the Western Bulldogs would struggle to survive without income from the MCG drawn from tickets and broadcast rights.

If the AFL doesn't get some answers soon it'll be all out war on the bid. When that happens I'll be beside you in the trenches Bub.

Just proves my point that the MFC must gets its [censored] together in a big way over the next 5-8 years, otherwise we will not survive.

We cannot expect yearly handouts, & nor should we.

The Bid for the World cup will march on as the benefits seen by the Federal Govt are Huge.

I couldn't care less whether the World Cup is here or not, but our bid will go ahead full steam.

Interesting times await....

Sounds more like the FFA must get their sh!te together and communicate better with the country's premier sport..AFL.

16 weeks of closure at the G is a bit steep isn't it ?

World Cup 2018 odds just got a little bigger.

edit;spelling

Edited by High Tower

If the AFL doesn't get some answers soon it'll be all out war on the bid. When that happens I'll be beside you in the trenches Bub.

we wont be alone ;)

I wonder how many other little gems of 'secrets' are yet to find daylight ?? :rolleyes:

'We will be putting to FIFA that we should be able to continue those competitions during the (World Cup),” Buckley told 3AW radio.'

When you read FFA boss Ben Buckleys comments about the AFL and NRL, it's clear they haven't worked it out.

First it's 4 weeks, then it's 8, now we are told that our major oval stadiums will have to be reshaped into a rectangular pattern to suit FIFA. The estimated time time to get the 'G' ready for soccer is now 12 weeks, plus the 4 weeks of competition. So that's 16 weeks. If the semi finals and finals are played in early July then i'd be very surprised if the 'G' could be restored and ready before August. It's going to take more than 16 weeks to radically reshape the 'G' and return it to normal.

This push for the world cup by the FFA is not about playing 64 games of soccer in Australia in 2018 or 2012. It's not about bringing thousands of tourists or upgrading our sports stadiums. It's about the business of making soccer the major money-making sport in Australia by the 2020s, and their big weapon is the world cup.

FIFA doesn't care about AFL or NRL. They want these 2 major Australian industries to stand aside and get out the way so they so can gain a marketing advantage for soccer that may last for years. Surely the AFL and NRL would be crazy to cease operating during their peak business period and allow a competitor to step in and dramatically cut their revenue. The Fed govt has announced there will be no compensation for lost revenue for AFL and NRL.

And for what? Let's say we lose the 'G' for 16 weeks. In return we may get up to 8 matches of soccer. That's it. And in that time we lose 2-3 games a week at the 'G'. No wonder Ian Collins is said to have written to FIFA rejecting world cup games at the docklands venue.

World Cup loses it cheer

"THE AFL has painted the dramatic scenario of a season laid to waste by a soccer World Cup in Australia, with the MCG unavailable for up to 12 weeks. "

3 months with no footy in Melbourne ? No thankyou.

I dont care to hear all the bleatings from the devotees of the "world game" i really dont. I couldnt care less if soccer fell over in this country. Yes theres room for many codes to co-exist..but I dont see the AFL preventing any other game from happening . It plays its game on its merits and allows others too.. alls fair in loive and war but to eliminate Football ( real Football ) from Melbourne at its rightful time is beyond bearing.

Vote NO to Soccer World Cup in OZ

This is Melbourne... we have traditions. Even two world wars couldnt bring this game to a halt and yet some trumped up clowns want to take our "right' away. I dont think so.

Traditionally the world cup is played and hosted by nations whose premier football code is soccer so its hardly an intrusion. This is Australia and its Premier code Is Australian Rules Football. If the world Cup doesnt think it can stack up against it in fair competition...then that says it all.

I'll be letting my local member know what I think of this ...I invite you to do likewise

Hate soccer love AFL. Cancelling AFL for soccer is a rather stupid idea. MCG is for football and cricket. The federal government could build a new soccer ground by then if it is so kean.

This push for the world cup by the FFA is not about playing 64 games of soccer in Australia in 2018 or 2012. It's not about bringing thousands of tourists or upgrading our sports stadiums. It's about the business of making soccer the major money-making sport in Australia by the 2020s, and their big weapon is the world cup.

FIFA doesn't care about AFL or NRL. They want these 2 major Australian industries to stand aside and get out the way so they so can gain a marketing advantage for soccer that may last for years. Surely the AFL and NRL would be crazy to cease operating during their peak business period and allow a competitor to step in and dramatically cut their revenue. The Fed Govt has indicated that it will not compensate the AFL and the NRL for lost revenues

Substitute FFA ("Soccer Australia") for FIFA and surely you are right.

The fact is that the AFL ( and NRL etc) are businesses competing with FFA for sponsorship dollars. FFA wants to use facilities built by the AFL and the NRL to bring international muscle into the Australian maket - and the Federal Govt is going to encourage them to do it. For one season, the govt is going to create a monopoly - and it somehow believes that healthy competition will return 12 months later.

Sorry Kev..... that's "un-Australian" in more ways than one!!

and slowly the truth seeps out !!

Will be interesting to see what the actual 'realities' of any tender is..what compromises can be agreed to and what compensation affected AFL clubs get. Ought to be interesting as well as to who pays that. For mine it ought to be all out of FFA's pocket...but you can bet it will be via a Gov pay-off which means tax dollars..

For me.. i'll still maintain the rage and say bugger off soccer...I dont care for you.

and as for the FFA going in to bat for the AFL....... Demetriou....( youre of Greek blood ) remember Troy !!

Sounds more like the FFA must get their sh!te together and communicate better with the country's premier sport..AFL.

16 weeks of closure at the G is a bit steep isn't it ?

World Cup 2018 odds just got a little bigger.

edit;spelling

I don't disagree with you but you only have to look at the top line soccer players wages.

Soccer has World clout for a reason i have never worked out, but it does.

It's not FIFA we need to get nasty with, it's the Federal Australian Government.

If Australia wins the right to Stage the World Cup all else will stand aside, a bit like what happened in WW1 & WW2.

But at this stage we are yet to win the right so i refuse to worry about it yet.

I still don't understand why we couldn't just start the season early and then have a break - the country will be soccer mad, we get to enjoy the world cup and then we get to have footy again.

As I've previously said, of course with no response, is that as recently as '06 we went without the G for at least 4 weeks and gee, AFL never quite recovered did it.

Other leagues have a month off EVERY season for winter, 1 disrupted footy season in 10 years is hardly something to sulk about. Anyone remember our last Grand Final? Good old first Saturday in September, :wacko: you say

There's also the confederations cup. I think it is played a year before the world cup, and it's played at the same venues. You have the same problems with preparing the grounds and signage, perhaps on a smaller scale.

The world cup will remove a major revenue earner for the AFl and the MCG for up to 16 weeks, although this afternoon Buckley was hosing down the idea of reconfiguring the MCG. FIFA want no other sporting fixtures in the major cities for 4 -8 weeks and right in the middle of the AFLs busy period.

This is different to delaying the start of the season because of the commonwealth games or finishing early for the olympic games. The AFL is not in competition with the olympic and commonwealth games because are rarely occuring events in this country. It is in direct competition with soccer for participants and sponsor dollars, and the FFA will use the world cup to draw spectators, participants and dollars away from the other codes.

I think there'll be a compromise. They'll get the G for 6-8 weeks and AFL will continue to be played at Etihad. But FIFa has to agree.

I don't really understand the hostility towards soccer. Why don't footy fans hate hockey, or lacrosse, or cricket? No, AFL fans generally only hate soccer. I don't get it. Why do you have to 'hate' other sports? Seems ridiculous to me.

This 'cancelling the season' is the most [censored] sensationalist load of rubbish. IF the World Cup comes here, it will be a historic event in our history and most Australians will embrace it and get behind it. Some close-minded, insular folk will sit in the corner sulking.

Guest oldman emubitter
Racism, xenophobia, fear-mongering, re-writing of history, ignoring history - this thread gets better and better.

don't forget corruption

I don't really understand the hostility towards soccer. Why don't footy fans hate hockey, or lacrosse, or cricket? No, AFL fans generally only hate soccer.

Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that soccer is the only sport which specifies that no other sport should be played when it is being played?

Soccer fans need to come off their high horse - and accept that their sport is not superior to the others. The fact that it is played all around the world doesn't make it a better game. It doesn't even require hand eye coordination!!

Connelly has said that he wants Casey as a boutique stadium. Perfect time to bring it up, the club should be getting on the front foot cause if we get the world cup not even the AFL will be able to stop FIFA from doing what they like. Would love to see the AFL for those 8 to 12 weeks have a suburban feel to it like the good old days.

Because it;s boring. Because they have attempted to take over the term football (and failed badly) When Australia has had its own brand of football for 100's of years. Because the behavior at these soccer games is shocking, which is caused by a the boring game itself. And it is a European game it is not an Australian game. A game of immigrants if you will. Im not derailing the footy season to see some greazy italian take a dive!

I am not an academic, nor am I a professor - I see from your claim that Cranbourne is a "poor slum area with questionable people and big crime rate" [sic] that you must be.

For starters, my post was not merely in reference to you but many elements of this thread that have frustrated me for some time - if you'd thought for more than a few seconds you'd have realised that as I did not quote your post and have previously posted on this topic already.

But now that you bring it up, I'll point you in the right direction.

From the list you quoted (a list containing items that can be exclusive of each other and may relate to separate parts of a post) you attacked me from using two but did not, and still have not, responded to the more serious of them - meaning you must be at least content, if not happy, with the claim.

Your post, quoted above, in particular re-wrote the history of why the FFA (I assume you mean) tried to "take over" the term football. This is simply not true. It was a push from the newly formed Football Federation of Australia (formerly the Australian Soccer Association) to bring Australia into line with the vast majority of countries that call the sport football. It was a corporate move that attempted to reposition the game within Australia to mor closely mirror its standing in the world.

This brings me to the second point you enjoyed - ignoring history. You claimed that Australia had its own brand of football for 100's of years whilst completely ignoring the fact that the Australian nation has only been in existance for 108 years. To take a less literal tact, you have ignored the fact that the first reference of football stem from England in the 1400's as does the etymology of the word itself.

We would not call "Aussie Rules" "football" if the English, who named their sport "football," had not done so. One could even claim, quite rightly, that Aussie Rules is the one who has "attempted to take over the term."

I did ask myself the same thing and I couldn't give you a decent answer.

Back on topic; 16 weeks sounds extreme but I'm still not convinced this is the official position and certainly no where near convinced that it is the final one.

If 16 weeks were to be the final declaration from FIFA - that'd be a very different kettle of fish. Though it's not like we haven't had a season without the G before.

Scrap the pre season, shorten the season to one game against each team, that saves 9 weeks.

I don't think we've heard the end of this, not by a long shot

Connolly has said that he wants Casey as a boutique stadium. Perfect time to bring it up, ...

You know, the club could do worse than throw in a suggestion like this to the AFL. The Federal Government - AFL might just take note and splash a bit of cash Casey-way for a community-needs project, which might help solve in part - albeit 1/8th in terms of available venues - or at least ease the pain.

I did ask myself the same thing and I couldn't give you a decent answer.

Back on topic; 16 weeks sounds extreme but I'm still not convinced this is the official position and certainly no where near convinced that it is the final one.

If 16 weeks were to be the final declaration from FIFA - that'd be a very different kettle of fish. Though it's not like we haven't had a season without the G before.

Scrap the pre season, shorten the season to one game against each team, that saves 9 weeks.

I don't think we've heard the end of this, not by a long shot

I think Demetriou has played the FFA on a break. FFA came out last night after reports of Demetriou "Ohh Noes" campaign yesterday and said it would be a 6-8 week timeframe needed (finals permitting). The AFL can do it, they just want clarity and want it now. I agree, they can scrap the NAB Cup for one season if need be, just let the clubs have their preseason practice matches (ie. x4). And start the season a little earlier. And/or finish the season (ie Grand Final) later. ie. October.

It's just a little political clout taking place. Not sure if Demetriou was kidding when he said if a season was cancelled it could mean the closure of 3-4 clubs finishing up. I'll say it was just putting a bit of fear into the Fed Gov't/FFA for now.

Edited by High Tower