Demonland MFC Team of the Decade

Diablo Deemon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did kinda have a brownlow...?

Yes. But it was one good year. And on that achievement he had to be selected but his 2001 and 2002 were ordinary. We traded him to the Pies where his star further faded...quckly.

It only strengthens my concern with my selections for the Team of the Decade. Who else would play centre? Not McLean. Woey's one fab year outdoes any of the lesser achievement of McLean. I would have Scott Thompson after Woey.

Its a fair point. But who has been a better CHF over the decade? Miller?

And its indicative in forming such a team of the decade. I am sure at least 13 other Clubs could assemble such a side that would make my selection blush for talent. I dont think Richmond or Freo could assemble a better team. Richmond had Richo and Freo have Pav and Sandilands but there's nothing really special after that. Given the decade they have had I think Carlton would also struggle to pitch a decent side. Given the hell they have had (and wasn't it great), still to perform player like Kruezer, Gibbs and Murphy would be shoo ins.

I have bolded the position where those selected have a flaky hold on their position for want of a better player. Either the quality of football they exhibited was for only a short period (2 years or less) or I could not come up with a better choice in the choice.

Whelan Ingerson Bizzell

Bruce Rivers Brown

Yze Woewodin Johnston

Green Schwartz Davey

Farmer Neitz Robertson

White McDonald Leoncelli Raffle

Which Johnson? And what about Powell

Edited by WonnaJurah

Its a fair point. But who has been a better CHF over the decade? Miller?

And its indicative in forming such a team of the decade. I am sure at least 13 other Clubs could assemble such a side that would make my selection blush for talent. I dont think Richmond or Freo could assemble a better team. Richmond had Richo and Freo have Pav and Sandilands but there's nothing really special after that. Given the decade they have had I think Carlton would also struggle to pitch a decent side. Given the hell they have had (and wasn't it great), still to perform player like Kruezer, Gibbs and Murphy would be shoo ins.

I have bolded the position where those selected have a flaky hold on their position for want of a better player. Either the quality of football they exhibited was for only a short period (2 years or less) or I could not come up with a better choice in the choice.

Whelan Ingerson Bizzell

Bruce Rivers Brown

Yze Woewodin Johnston

Green Schwartz Davey

Farmer Neitz Robertson

White McDonald Leoncelli Raffle

Hence my reasoning for my early post on Warnock playing in the backline somewhere.

Nicholson is a ripper bloke, but was the 2nd worse full back we ever had behind Tony Campbell. Saw him often when 2nd rate forwards kicked plenty on him, consistently. Like I said, a really top fella, that did the best he could.

Which Johnson? And what about Powell

I wrote John- ston.

Powell had one good year in 2000 then got OP and did little after that before going to StK. Woey had him shaded. But the paucity of talent would have him in the contenders for a bench spot. But not for mine.

Surely 9 games isn't enough to grant him access to MFC team of the decade. Talented as he is, I'm sure he'll be more of a star of the next decade.

Gippy

There is still a year to go in this decade.

Jurrah's performance next year, might see him in this team.

I got bored and did a team of the decade for the 1990 to 1999 period. IMO this team is far superior than the team for noughties. Some real class all over the ground. However many of those stars suffered terrible injuries durring the latter half of the 1990s

Obst Wight Seecamp

B Lovett Neitz Prymke

Tingay G Lovett S Febey

Rohde Schwartz Lyon

Bennett Jakovich Farmer

Stynes Viney Lovell

Yeats Woey White M Febey

I recall Rohde playing particularly well on Brereton early 90's, 1990 in particular at CHB.

That's a good side RR. Although, I would have swapped Woewodin for Yze on the bench. Woey had a stellar 2000 season. Yze debuted in '95 and had a stellar '98 season.

emergencies: Pickett,Holland maybe Ward Godfrey

You must have had a very bad decade indeed.

There is still a year to go in this decade.

The AFL is measuring the team of the decade on the 2000 -2009 period.

I recall Rohde playing particularly well on Brereton early 90's, 1990 in particular at CHB.

That's a good side RR. Although, I would have swapped Woewodin for Yze on the bench. Woey had a stellar 2000 season. Yze debuted in '95 and had a stellar '98 season.

Fair call on Yze. And Woey's stellar year is in the next decade.

Whelan Ingerson Bizzell

Bruce Rivers Brown

Yze Woewodin Johnston

Green Schwartz Davey

Farmer Neitz Robertson

White McDonald Leoncelli

Thompson S. Febey Wheatley Raffle it.

That's not TOO shabby. Though I think you might have given a bit too much emphasis to the guys who were good players in 2000-2002, such as Schwartz and Ingo. When did Febey call it a day?

I know McLean's not popular around here, but did he do enough in his 5 years to earn a call-up?

Love the Leoncelli inclusion. One many would have overlooked. Respect.

It begs the question though. A guy like Thompson would have been among the best players we've had in red and blue in this period. But was he there long enough? Did he play enough games? Did he play well enough in those games? Always a tricky one.

Any room for Rigoni? Moloney perhaps?

Anyway. Not a bad job there. Though I think it's a bit easier than some clubs. And your point about 1990-99 is well made. That side is far more impressive.

That's not TOO shabby. Though I think you might have given a bit too much emphasis to the guys who were good players in 2000-2002, such as Schwartz and Ingo. When did Febey call it a day?

I know McLean's not popular around here, but did he do enough in his 5 years to earn a call-up?

Love the Leoncelli inclusion. One many would have overlooked. Respect.

It begs the question though. A guy like Thompson would have been among the best players we've had in red and blue in this period. But was he there long enough? Did he play enough games? Did he play well enough in those games? Always a tricky one.

Any room for Rigoni? Moloney perhaps?

Anyway. Not a bad job there. Though I think it's a bit easier than some clubs. And your point about 1990-99 is well made. That side is far more impressive.

Fair comments. Very hard to judge this side as for nearly every spot few dominated and many had question marks over performance at some point.

We made the GF and semi finals in those two years and I struggled to find players better than Ingo and Ox for their respective positions. Febey retired in 2002. I thought he struggled in his last two years with injury.

McLean peak years with MFC were riddled with injury and average performance (few highs and too many lows). Was about to take the next step after 2006 EF but....didn't.

Thompson was fantastic in 2004 and our midfield look great. When he went down against Esse in rd 15 so did our midfield. I could not find another player to better him.

Rigoni's best footy was in 1998 to 2000. I thought Woey and Powell (2000) shaded him. Back injury at his peak stuffed him. Moloney no. Lots of passion. Lots of injuries. Started to show something in 2009. Needs to build on it and actually influence matches.

Yep. Can't find a lot to disagree with there. I reckon there's 6-12 names in there that you HAVE to have, then after that the cupboard is bare. I'm glad to see Brown is in everyone's. He's one that I feared would be overlooked.

wouldnt you love to have Swarta and Neeta back now ..ah well :unsure: Sort of highlights what we so really need...that part of the spine

Amazing really...you look at a couple of those assemblies and truly wonder how we didnt get a bit closer to the silverware.. On their day.. we were peerless

Bench:

Nathan Jones, Cale Morton, Jarred Rivers, Colin Sylvia

If Jones, Morton and Sylvia are there, then McLean has to be ahead of them. Jones hasn't played a single season to top Sylvia's 2009 or McLean's 2005/6. Morton has been good, but only starred in a couple of games, and Sylvia has played exactly one good year. Ok... one VERY good year.

I'm not getting stuck into you, these lists are tough at the best of times, but as much as I'm disappointed in Brock (or perhaps just disappointed he's gone), this IS a list that should put prejudices aside.

I may not put him in the starting 18 (Bruce, Green, Ooze, Johnstone, JMac... even Woey deserve the spot more), but I reckon he deserves a bench spot.

If Jones, Morton and Sylvia are there, then McLean has to be ahead of them. Jones hasn't played a single season to top Sylvia's 2009 or McLean's 2005/6. Morton has been good, but only starred in a couple of games, and Sylvia has played exactly one good year. Ok... one VERY good year.

I'm not getting stuck into you, these lists are tough at the best of times, but as much as I'm disappointed in Brock (or perhaps just disappointed he's gone), this IS a list that should put prejudices aside.

I may not put him in the starting 18 (Bruce, Green, Ooze, Johnstone, JMac... even Woey deserve the spot more), but I reckon he deserves a bench spot.

Sylvia I see as an adaptable midfielder who is able to play up forward and has been generally a more outside player than McLean. I think Sylvia

has a better kick than Mclean. Games played are the difference of 6 over their 6 seasons for MFC. In consider Sylvia more important in a side than Mclean

Morton: Won the Larke medal, the best first year player for MFC and has played 40 out of 44 games since debut. He has averaged 20.6 disposals per game.

versus Mclean's 18.8. Morton averages 6.6 marks a game versus 3.8 for Mclean Morton also average 0.7 goals a game while Mclean 0.4. There are few

players in the AFL who have been more impresive since their debut and gone with such little notice. Morton also plays a wing/back flanker role which is

completely different to Mclean.

Finally we come to Jones who of the 3 I see most closely in the same ilk as Mclean. The stats between Mclean and Jones are so close. Jones averages 19.3

disposals, Mclean 18.8. Jones kicks 0.4 goals a game Mclean 0.4 goals. Where they differ greatly is since their debut, Jones played 8 games in his debut

season Mclean 9. Since their debut Jones has played 62 games out of 66 93% of games Mclean played 85 out of 110 72%. Jones doesn't get injured plays

over 90% of games and plays in the same role/position as Mclean. Again in Jones we see he is a severely underated player based on the stats Jones has

gotten no where near the kudos Mclean did in his first 3 seasons it's because the team has been collectively loosing. This doesn't mean Jones has performed

exceptionally in fact in a loosing side I see Jones has done far more than Mclean.

I got bored and did a team of the decade for the 1990 to 1999 period. IMO this team is far superior than the team for noughties. Some real class all over the ground. However many of those stars suffered terrible injuries durring the latter half of the 1990s

Obst Wight Seecamp

B Lovett Neitz Prymke

Tingay G Lovett S Febey

Rohde Schwartz Lyon

Bennett Jakovich Farmer

Stynes Viney Lovell

Yeats Woey White M Febey

Pretty close to what i would have picked

Pity you moved Neitz to FF in the next decade though

It's hard to have any useful debate without having criteria for selection.

No doubt that he'll be a good player - but I don't think he's been the standout fullback over the last "decade?!" He's only been a regular senior player for 12 months.

When selecting players, are you talking about biggest influence from 2000-2009 or best players that were on our list at any time from 2000-2009?

Because Ingerson & Farmer both left us in 2001, so you can't really include 2 years worth into a team of the decade.

If you make the argument that a season or two isn't enough to be picked, you can get an odd scenario whereby a fringe player who plays every year of the decade could get picked above a very good player who only played a couple of years in the decade.

Perhaps there should be a minimum games criteria, but surely you simply pick the best players who played within the decade, rather than selecting players who had the most influence over the entire decade?

Anyway, I might have a stab at this later.

PS. Warnock doesn't need to have been a 'standout' to nab the FB spot. That Nicho's a reasonable pick and Carroll's probably not terribly far away does say something. On the backline, I'm glad to see Ingerson represented.

Rhino, did you mean to have written Johns-tone?

Does it matter?

Another poster asked which Johnson??? :wacko:

It's hard to have any useful debate without having criteria for selection.

Agree. But in some cases such was the dearth of options in some positions (eg ruck) that one player would get selected under most criteria

If you make the argument that a season or two isn't enough to be picked, you can get an odd scenario whereby a fringe player who plays every year of the decade could get picked above a very good player who only played a couple of years in the decade.

Agree. I still think a Woey, Thompson or Powell has greater chance of selection than a Miller

Perhaps there should be a minimum games criteria, but surely you simply pick the best players who played within the decade, rather than selecting players who had the most influence over the entire decade?

Thats the simplest criteria.

PS. Warnock doesn't need to have been a 'standout' to nab the FB spot. That Nicho's a reasonable pick and Carroll's probably not terribly far away does say something.

It does indeed. Warnock was in the mix IMO but I thought Ingerson just shaded him. I would like to see Warnock tested in some big games where MFC is competitive against better sides. Ingo placed some terrific games under big pressure against capable opponents early in the decade. I did not have Carroll close as I think he was an ordinary defender with questionable decision making. His tragic behaviour off the ground does little to create some interest.