Create Event Games - Your Suggestions

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007

Could not help but think last night when I was watching the Tigers-Essendon dreamtime game at the G ... that should be us.

We need to create 3-5 massive event games per year ... minimum ... at the G with minimum acceptable crowds 60,000 plus ... not including Collingwood games. Treating Collingwood games as 1 of them is a cop out.

We have missed some massive opportunities over the last 10 years, lets not do the same over the next 10.

We need to engage our supporter base instead of them sitting at home watching other teams get all the spot light. We need to get maximum TV coverage for our sponsors. We need to engage, and think "outside the square" with fellow joint promotion partners.

Let's have a suggest a game theme thread ... where we suggest a theme to get minimum 60,000 crowd with some sort of promotional marketing hook to attract the "whole family" to a game or engage an audience.

I will start ... What about a "Crusty Demons Game" vs ST Kilda - Target 60,000 crowd.

- MotorCycle Jumping & Tricks Extravaganza at the G ... they draw huge crowds why couldn't we have a joint promo at the MCG.

Heaven & Hell Game - vs Saints

Gates of Hades - vs Western Cerberus (Cerberi?)

1948 Commemorative Game - vs Essendon

Jakovich Memorial Trophy - vs West Coast Eagles

Snoozetime - vs Richmond

Heritage match: Melbourne-v-Geelong (should always be the season opener for the two oldest clubs)

St. Patricks Day match: Melbourne-v-Hawthorn (Don't know why these 2 clubs but why not?)

Queens Birthday match: Melbourne-v-Collingwood (I know it's a cop out using this match but I think 3 high profile games a year is fair enough)

Could not help but think last night when I was watching the Tigers-Essendon dreamtime game at the G ... that should be us.

We need to create 3-5 massive event games per year ... minimum ... at the G with minimum acceptable crowds 60,000 plus ... not including Collingwood games. Treating Collingwood games as 1 of them is a cop out.

We have missed some massive opportunities over the last 10 years, lets not do the same over the next 10.

We need to engage our supporter base instead of them sitting at home watching other teams get all the spot light. We need to get maximum TV coverage for our sponsors. We need to engage, and think "outside the square" with fellow joint promotion partners.

Let's have a suggest a game theme thread ... where we suggest a theme to get minimum 60,000 crowd with some sort of promotional marketing hook to attract the "whole family" to a game or engage an audience.

I will start ... What about a "Crusty Demons Game" vs ST Kilda - Target 60,000 crowd.

- MotorCycle Jumping & Tricks Extravaganza at the G ... they draw huge crowds why couldn't we have a joint promo at the MCG.

I like the effort to try to increase crowd numbers, but themed matches like these would lose their impact if you flood the market with them. They become 'just another themed match'.

Dreamtime at the G works because Richmond doesn't have any other themed matches and the bombers only have Anzac day.

Even collingwood aren't silly enough to dilute the impact of these big note matches by increasing the number of them on the calendar.

3 at an absolute maximum is sustainable, no more in my opinion.

And the motox thing wouldn't work because you'd have nowhere to stage the jumping or tricks.

Earlier this year Geelong couldn' train on skilled stadium for over a month in preseason because of the crusty demons holding a show and destroying the surface

Themed games like this will only truly succeed if it is related to a cause that people really believe in & want to get behind, ie. Anzac Day, Indigneous Issues, Bushfire Appeal

A key reason they work is because these days most people have a strong social awareness.

The popularity of the games is driven by an underlying feeling that we as individuals don't do enough to support and contribute to those areas.

By relating it to football you are giving them an easy and accessible avenue through which to do this, and in turn make them feel thye are doing something good, giving back to the community.

Maybe a 'support melbourne's homeless' match?

It could be tied in with Jimmy's charity and we could maybe tie it to another club that is also active in trying to help the homeless?

I vaguely remember something like that which has been done before, and i believe it involved Craig Bolton from Sydney. Maybe it could be tied in with a Melb v Sydney rivalry?

I think it is important to start with something that people will get behind regardless of whether football is involved or not, something that will benefit the community.

That is a good starting point.

It doesn't involve Melbourne, but if they do choose to do a match on Good Friday, it should be Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne. Neither team has a blockbuster/event match yet, and both need help in drawing crowds. I'd be livid if Good Friday became a Collingwood-Geelong or Hawthorn-Carlton match, given the states of those clubs.

As for Melbourne, well, a Melbourne-Sydney match, playing up the rivalry between the two cities might be an option (though it's tough to draw crowds with interstate teams).

Guest hangon007
I like the effort to try to increase crowd numbers, but themed matches like these would lose their impact if you flood the market with them. They become 'just another themed match'.

Dreamtime at the G works because Richmond doesn't have any other themed matches and the bombers only have Anzac day.

Even collingwood aren't silly enough to dilute the impact of these big note matches by increasing the number of them on the calendar.

3 at an absolute maximum is sustainable, no more in my opinion.

And the motox thing wouldn't work because you'd have nowhere to stage the jumping or tricks.

Earlier this year Geelong couldn' train on skilled stadium for over a month in preseason because of the crusty demons holding a show and destroying the surface

Themed games like this will only truly succeed if it is related to a cause that people really believe in & want to get behind, ie. Anzac Day, Indigneous Issues, Bushfire Appeal

A key reason they work is because these days most people have a strong social awareness.

The popularity of the games is driven by an underlying feeling that we as individuals don't do enough to support and contribute to those areas.

By relating it to football you are giving them an easy and accessible avenue through which to do this, and in turn make them feel thye are doing something good, giving back to the community.

It could be tied in with Jimmy's charity and we could maybe tie it to another club that is also active in trying to help the homeless?

I vaguely remember something like that which has been done before, and i believe it involved Craig Bolton from Sydney. Maybe it could be tied in with a Melb v Sydney rivalry?

I think it is important to start with something that people will get behind regardless of whether football is involved or not, something that will benefit the community.

That is a good starting point.

Sorry I cant agree with what you are saying. We have to start thinking outside the square. We must start thinking .... How we can make it happen .... not give reasons why its shouldn't happen.

I'm convinced if we dont engage our target "kids & family" market they will drift else. Like it our lump it from a marketing perspective we are not getting our "fair share". We need to change this.

Lets face facts ... their using our home ground to create event games that draw crowds of 70,000 plus a huge TV viewing audience. While we write a cheque out nearly on a weekly basis.

Sorry I cant agree with what you are saying. We have to start thinking outside the square. We must start thinking .... How we can make it happen .... not give reasons why its shouldn't happen.

I'm convinced if we dont engage our target "kids & family" market they will drift else. Like it our lump it from a marketing perspective we are not getting our "fair share". We need to change this.

Lets face facts ... their using our home ground to create event games that draw crowds of 70,000 plus a huge TV viewing audience. While we write a cheque out nearly on a weekly basis.

Whilst its our homeground, we don't own the MCG. This argument is redundant in my opinion.

I agree we want to engage kids and families, but it has to be in a considered way.

Cheap gimmicks and overcrowding the market are not 'thinking outside the square', nor will they work.

I did like the 'heaven & hell' idea of a game with the Saints, but it needs to be expanded on.

If there's nothing more to it, then its just another match with a little bit of novelty value & a camp name.

A socially responsible focus is a proven winner, I didn't say its the only answer.

I'm just giving constructive criticism.

And overcrowding the market with theme games is a silly idea.

Its like robbing peter to pay paul, detracting from the importance of the marquee games you already have, but its more than that.

It would have a reverse-synergy effect, making them all seem less important and more contrived.

I remember a few years back now, when Melb used to play Syd in Syd on the Saturday of Anzac weekend. I was under the impression at the time that they were trying to build a fierce Melb v Syd rivalry, but it didnt happen this year (and maybe last year I cant quite remember).

I really like the idea of the 2 capitals as a rivalry.

I remember a few years back now, when Melb used to play Syd in Syd on the Saturday of Anzac weekend. I was under the impression at the time that they were trying to build a fierce Melb v Syd rivalry, but it didnt happen this year (and maybe last year I cant quite remember).

I really like the idea of the 2 capitals as a rivalry.

yeah, i thought that too.

I think the biggest stumbling block in all of this is relevance -- in the past few years melb have been relatively irrelevant in this competition. Beginning next year, or even now, we will continue to be more relevant in the scheme of things (as it will grow with our form)

developing a rivalry will take a couple of years of hotly contested matches so that there is history and the rivalry is maintained when our form drops off again.

For this reason the opposing team should be around the same developmental stage -- WC, Freo..? but being WA teams they are largely unsuitable. Richmond maybe? Carlton are more advanced. Collingwood we already have QB. cats, doggies, saints, hawks are at vastly different stages.

Adelaide or Port? but they are also interstate.

How about, a Melbourne home game, that ISN'T on Sunday? That'd be an event.

To really think outside the box, a Friday night game!

Maybe we could tap into that Chinese connection and get a whole bunch of cheap fireworks shipped over and have Friday night Fireworks at half time.

Migrant match vs North Melbourne which would also align with the City of Melb. Leverage off the building of our great city through it's rich migrant history. North have moved into Ballarat so also could tie in gold-rush etc which essential fuelled Melbourne's (city) growth in 1800's.

Rivalries cannot be created, they must be born out of something, an incident, a fight, a punch a dramatic final.

I think Geography is a great place to start. melb Syd or melb adel (there is more unsavouryness there)

What about the ..."We drafted really well, supporters actually turned up and these 22 blokes will smash the opposition on a regular basis theme"?

Maybe we could tap into that Chinese connection and get a whole bunch of cheap fireworks shipped over and have Friday night Fireworks at half time.

:lol:

Just go to Canberra for the fireworks.

How about Melbourne-West Coast play for the 'bitten finger' trophy. It can be presented by either Todd Viney or Chris Lewis...

Guest hangon007
Whilst its our homeground, we don't own the MCG. This argument is redundant in my opinion.

I agree we want to engage kids and families, but it has to be in a considered way.

Cheap gimmicks and overcrowding the market are not 'thinking outside the square', nor will they work.

I did like the 'heaven & hell' idea of a game with the Saints, but it needs to be expanded on.

If there's nothing more to it, then its just another match with a little bit of novelty value & a camp name.

A socially responsible focus is a proven winner, I didn't say its the only answer.

I'm just giving constructive criticism.

And overcrowding the market with theme games is a silly idea.

Its like robbing peter to pay paul, detracting from the importance of the marquee games you already have, but its more than that.

It would have a reverse-synergy effect, making them all seem less important and more contrived.

Sorry but I think you are way over estimating the intelligence of the general football public.

Cheap gimmicks can work and many a good advertising champaign can be built on "cheap novelty gimmicks". Ultimately it's all about getting "extra" bums on seats ... something that we as a football club are not good at doing.

With a very, very heavy emphasis on the word "extra" - extra is the marginal supporter who is attracted by the "novelty gimmicks" or even better its just the 3rd party paying supporter who goes to the game purely for the event or "spectacle".

I can tell you for a fact I know people who go to ANZAC Day & Dreamtime game who support-barrack for neither club. I can tell you for a fact that very same person payed $500.00 for the privilege ... Why - his kids wanted to go and see the "spectacle" due to the over inflated media coverage.

IMHO - we dont try enough of the "cheap gimmicks and novelty type publicity stunts". Sorry but I think its better to try and fail ... than to never try at all because you dont think they will work.

We get the draw we get because we continually fail to engage with a "extra" audience or fail to attract a new audience. Some clubs win loose or draw consistently manage to engage with the "extra" audience thru clever media manipulation.

I ask you this ...

1/ Do you think the Melbourne football club manipulates the media?

2/ Can you hazard a guess what media manipulation might bring?

I like the idea of fireworks.

costs money but would be great.

went to the baseball in the US and after the game they had massive fireworks attracted heaps of kids.

HINT HINT Melbourne

Guest hangon007
I like the idea of fireworks.

costs money but would be great.

went to the baseball in the US and after the game they had massive fireworks attracted heaps of kids.

HINT HINT Melbourne

What if we suggested a past player recognition game ... particularly honoring our and another clubs greats. Now maybe a good club to do this would be Brisbane ... ;)

1/ Brownlow Medalists

2/ Premiership Captains

3/ Past Greats

• 9 months later...

How about "International Round" , maybe against the Roos, if majak daw starts playing soon (not likely imho)

It would be a match that promotes racial harmony and understanding community. Target international students with free/cheap tickets.

Get them involved/interested in the footy.

Could target all the different cultures in our great country and could be seen as a real olive branch to our Indian community where the relationship has been strained.

What happened to our supposedly annual game against Sydney in ANZAC Day round? It's a rubbish rivalry but at least it's got some point to it unlike trying to fire something even more fake up with St Kilda, Footscray or North.

One year here, one year there, play for the Barassi Cup/medal whatever. It's not great but it's better than nothing, and you could make it a focus on the sportsmen who served during wars. The main ANZAC Day match would be the tribute to all soldiers who served, but our game would be a more focused celebration of sportsmen who went to war.

Or we could concentrate on getting our 20,000 fairweather fans to show up for a game that isn't Queen's Birthday.

Do we still have the ladies day for Breast Cancer awareness? I can remember a few years ago a mate of mine went to that match as his wife, a survivor of breast cancer, was part of the onfield festivities for this day. They both loved the day (from memory it was against Adelaide), yet one is a Richmond supporter and the other a Carlton! From memory, any lady that wore pick got in for free or discounted price? I have been in Qld for the last 4 years, so it may not be around.

Probably too late now with the bye coming in next year, but it always puzzled me why Melbourne used to play the following week after the Collingwood/Queens Birthday round, yet this was a split round. Collingwood always played the following week, which meant 2 things...1. We only had a 6 day turn around as we played on the following Sunday, and 2. That Sunday game was one of 5 or 6 games that weeked. With Collingwood playing in the 2nd weekend of the split round, their games was always one of about 2 or 3 for that weekend. While this idea is not the themed idea as this topic suggests, it would creat more exposure for the MFC. I for one hate the split round as it meant there were only 3 games on during the 2nd half of the round. Nb - I haven't checked this years fixture to see if this is the same again in 2010.

One other way of getting crowd numbers up would be to try and include more curtain-raiser games with our Reserves/Casey Scorpions to play before hand - just like the good old days! Even if we could somehow align to an under 18's side (eg Dandenong Stingrays), they too could play a curtain-raiser. I know there is the issue of too much football being played on our MCG, but I know that the Brisbane Lions quite often have a match of some description on before their seniors play. With the price of tickets where they are, it would add great entertainment for the customer and give more value for money. Plus, if the U18 idea happened, it would hopefully generate a bit more interest from the juniors coming through to consider Melbourne as a fantastic club.