Demons of old.

angryfijian

My frustration with Lyon, whom I admired as a player, is his reluctance to stick his neck out for the dees. I understand that he wants to be seen as neutral in his commentary roles, but plenty of others -- all those Collingwood/Essendon/St Kilda/Carlton supporters in the media (North, too, of course) all go into bat for those teams. Those w. a Melbourne bias, like Lyon or Mike Sheahan, feel the need to hide their support under a bushel. We need all the support we can get!

I'm sure when the time permits, he'll stick his neck out for the beloved Dees alot more than at present.

I know, I won't go bumping an old thread and go over old ground. I know where you stand. It's fair to say, so do alot of others.

You mentioned the sponsorship deals.

But I will ask you this: -

Despite the 'time delay' it took to sign the suited sponsors for the club, as you have referred to it, in the past. Are you happy with the sponsorship deals the club has in place at present?

I am happy with the amount that the deals are for. I am not happy with the way in which they were achieved. I am especially concerned about the timing of the expiration of the deals (although I do not know exactly when this is).

On the whole, I think that the sponsorship fiasco reflected very poorly on Jim and his team and I am astounded that the whole debacle seems to have increased the level of confidence that many people have in the current administration.

Are you saying that Gary and Co. were bigger contributors at the club during other (Pre-Gardner) administrations? Or that it is the fault of every administration until now that Gary and Co. haven't contributed more?

Fish can choose not to bite, HSOG.

This thread is questioning the intentions of former players and that doesn't sit right with me. But say what you will.

I mean, former players are fair game and former boards and former Presidents.

My frustration with Lyon, whom I admired as a player, is his reluctance to stick his neck out for the dees. I understand that he wants to be seen as neutral in his commentary roles, but plenty of others -- all those Collingwood/Essendon/St Kilda/Carlton supporters in the media (North, too, of course) all go into bat for those teams. Those w. a Melbourne bias, like Lyon or Mike Sheahan, feel the need to hide their support under a bushel. We need all the support we can get!

Maybe we should all start hammering Mike Sheahan via his website or through the Herald Sun, as i have felt the same.

When Mike writes about the Demons it comes across that he does not want to do it. It's Hurried. I will keep my eye out for him in the MCC Enclosure.

Fish can choose not to bite, HSOG.

This thread is questioning the intentions of former players and that doesn't sit right with me. But say what you will.

I mean, former players are fair game and former boards and former Presidents.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I'm happy to "say what I will" though and I agree that all of those groups that you mention are fair game.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

I'm happy to "say what I will" though and I agree that all of those groups that you mention are fair game.

It's a saying...

Every time Gardner is mentioned you ask for a 'please explain' of sorts from the poster.

You can't stop biting...

It's a saying...

Every time Gardner is mentioned you ask for a 'please explain' of sorts from the poster.

You can't stop biting...

I understand the way allegory works, I just wasn't sure what how it applied.

It seems to me like you are suggesting that rusty kingswood was "trolling" me by criticising the Gardner administration.

However, as kingswood has subsequently admitted, blaming only the Gardner administration in this case does not make any sense. (Actually, blaming all the administrations doesn't make any sense either but that is beside the point). If correcting him on this point means that I have "taken the bait" then so be it.

I prefer to think of such "biting" as informed discussion or constructive debate. As far as these things are concerned, thanks for your valuable input.

I understand the way allegory works, I just wasn't sure what how it applied.

It seems to me like you are suggesting that rusty kingswood was "trolling" me by criticising the Gardner administration.

However, as kingswood has subsequently admitted, blaming only the Gardner administration in this case does not make any sense. (Actually, blaming all the administrations doesn't make any sense either but that is beside the point). If correcting him on this point means that I have "taken the bait" then so be it.

I prefer to think of such "biting" as informed discussion or constructive debate. As far as these things are concerned, thanks for your valuable input.

You're more than welcome.

And that Rusty, what a scoundrel, blaming Gardner for not bringing in former players? That's abstruse.

There are many other things that are more important that were neglected by previous boards. Strange to pick on Gardner for something like that.

Anyway, to each their own...

You're more than welcome.

And that Rusty, what a scoundrel, blaming Gardner for not bringing in former players? That's abstruse.

There are many other things that are more important that were neglected by previous boards. Strange to pick on Gardner for something like that.

Anyway, to each their own...

Mate, if anyone here is abstruse it is you - courtesy of your inappropriate allegories and thesaurus infatuation. Obtuse would seem to fit the bill nicely also.

I'm glad that you agree with me and kingswood that it is ridiculous to blame Garnder's administration for the input, or lack thereof, of our ex-players over the last 12 or so years.

Mate, if anyone here is abstruse it is you - courtesy of your inappropriate allegories and thesaurus infatuation. Obtuse would seem to fit the bill nicely also.

I'm glad that you agree with me and kingswood that it is ridiculous to blame Garnder's administration for the input, or lack thereof, of our ex-players over the last 12 or so years.

I just thought I would give Rusty the benefit of the doubt in terms of the wording. I don't need to explain the different meanings of the words as you are obviously a well educated individual.

Your patronising tone aside, I agree with you that Szondy, Gardner, and all the other maligned Presidents are not deserving of the treatment they get from many supporters of this club. They gave their time and that is to recognised, they also didn't deliver, and that is, unfortunately, the most recognised thing about them.

I just thought I would give Rusty the benefit of the doubt in terms of the wording. I don't need to explain the different meanings of the words as you are obviously a well educated individual.

Your patronising tone aside, I agree with you that Szondy, Gardner, and all the other maligned Presidents are not deserving of the treatment they get from many supporters of this club. They gave their time and that is to recognised, they also didn't deliver, and that is, unfortunately, the most recognised thing about them.

I think I'll "choose not to bite" on that last comment, since it is completely beside the point.

I remember late last year on "the run home" on SEN, the Ox said that he had offered to come back to melbourne in some capacity numerous times, and the offer was never taken up.

This was in the Gardener days and when the doggies offered him an opportunity he took it.

I think alot of people on here just assuming things......none of us know exactly what past players are up to........nor is it our right to........i for one am just happy that our great club is back on track.

Was that at the same time Ox was makng continual public attacks on key individuals at the Club?

I loved Ox as a footballer. But some of his influence on people at the Club have not been positive. Depending on the role he was given at the Club he might be of service. But I would be doing it on the Club's terms not Ox's choice.

Guest melbman
Yes. And when he was there he backed the merger -- though I seem to remember he tried to rewrite history on that one a few years later.

My memory is that Gary Lyon was firmly opposed to the merger

I saw him on TV at the time of the merger speaking about it with utter contempt in his voice. He said words similar to "and what'll they call us, the Melbourne Dawks?"

He more than just said those words, he almost spat them out.

I have no idea what he does behind the scenes, sure I'd love him to come out swinging on TV in defence of the Dees but if he regularly did that how long would his media career last? He would be less help to our cause fighting our fight from the Centerlink queue

I think the fact that he is one of the few that don't continually bag us says something to those prepared to look at the situation objectively

Thoughts?

I can't believe this has turn in to a what can garry do?

Simple he has one of the heaviest media schedules around so currently I am lead to believe he does plenty behind the sceens.

A couple have touched on it but I really believe the one we need is Todd Viney. Make no mistake he has been insperational in getting the hawks to a flag as fitness coach? He is the one we need. Tough hard in and under midfield, who better to mold them physically?

But really I think if you look over the modern era most success has been found from outside of clubs.

Eg Malthouse, Sheedy, Matthews.

I can't believe there have been links with GL and the snr job. Simple wont happen. Would have been happy 3yrs ago for it to have happened though

Lyon has said in the past that he has the game plan to win a Premiership. Woosha and Roos (from Lyon's era) have delivered it for their loved clubs. Voss wants to win a Premiership as coach for his old club and Buckley has all but said it. MFC supporters always cop it from everyone for being weak and not sticking fat with club - same question has to be asked of our highly paid passed champions!

This is possibly the worst thread I have read. Unless you know the exact involvement of Lyon with the club in an unofficial role, I suggest you grab yourself a big mug of "shut the f**k up"! And to also suggest Garry Lyon was soft as a player, gives a fair indication of your credibility.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

gary doesnt owe the demons anything, hes a past player that works in the media, just cause he was a great player doesnt mean he has to come back and coach, and as for being soft, tool of the week goes to angry fijian. :P

My memory is that Gary Lyon was firmly opposed to the merger

I saw him on TV at the time of the merger speaking about it with utter contempt in his voice. He said words similar to "and what'll they call us, the Melbourne Dawks?"

He more than just said those words, he almost spat them out.

I have no idea what he does behind the scenes, sure I'd love him to come out swinging on TV in defence of the Dees but if he regularly did that how long would his media career last? He would be less help to our cause fighting our fight from the Centerlink queue

I think the fact that he is one of the few that don't continually bag us says something to those prepared to look at the situation objectively

Thoughts?

melbman -- you've sent me to the garage where I have a scrapbook of (I thought) all the fliers & cuttings from the merger campaign. I could have sworn I had a Herald Sun story about the senior players backing the merger but do have the official club correspondence (Sept 10 1996) that begins: "in a week when coach Neil Balme, leading players Garry Lyon, Jim Stynes and Todd Viney have thrown their weight behind the board ..." I thought at the time that the players would have been lent on heavily but it amounts to supporting the merger.

I accept that Lyon has to have a degree of neutrality in the media but does he have to act as if his former club is like an embarrassing relative?

I have always had the number 3 - whether it be that traitor in healy or the sublimely gifted garry lyon....

trust me, garry is still very much aware of all happenings at the footy club.. he is good mates with jim but also with other memebrs of the mate of melbourne and team mates that are involved with the club.

garry lyon will not coahc the demons in the forseeable future and why would he - we have the man i think in place. he has been terrific for the footy club and the supprort he has from connoly, etc, well....

just a side note - i thought it was all class the other week when we won that the coaching panel went through the grandstand and let the players bask in their victory... a true team player and for me, has the attributes!!!