Let's not forget about Cale Morton.

Neita3000

Chris Connolly at a debt demolition luncheon I attended earlier in the year stated that Cale is the most exciting first year prospect that the MFC has had in 20 years.

This kid is a freak who we should be equally as exicted about as Watts. Had he played for Collingwood or Richmond he would have just about pulled off the NAB rising star. Averaging 18.4 possesions in his first year playing with a body weight more suited to U-14s footy is simply an amazing achievement. Individually he played some fantastic games pulling in brownlow votes against West Coast and Essendon however his game against Geelong was the standout for me. With everyone in the football world writing us off for at least a 20 goal lost Morton played an absoultely stunning game, kicking two important goals and showing maturity upon his years. His 17 mark performance against West Coast is surely a sign of things to come. I see him as an Adam Goodes style utillity using his endurance to simply run off his opponent and take many uncontested marks around the wings. Doubt he'll end up being the CHF we all wanted him to turn out to be when he was drafted but hey we have Watts so it doesn't really matter.

* Cale Morton does not have poor skills. A combination of lack of weight and protection from other MFC players led to the occasional miscued kick.

Morton, Watts, Grimes, Maric, Blease, Strauss and Jurrah have the pedigree and draft rankings to suggest we have the nucleus of a fantastic side for the future. Let's hope the likes of Buckley, Bate, Sylvia, Dunn, Jones, Garland, Frawley, Martin, Petterd and Wonaemirri continue to develop and find consistent form to match their abilities. Throw an injury free run to Mclean, Davey, Miller, Rivers and PJ. A couple of smokey's in McNamara, Jetta, Bennell. Bail and Cheney, some wise heads in Green, Bruce and McDonald and who know's what will happen in 09. Hell, Newton might even decide to pull his finger out!! Maybe it's the footy free time or the sun but I'm starting to think that improvement may be closer than we think. Of course there's a chance next week I'll be back thinking that drafting Butcher and Scully in 09 is the way to go. Oh the mind and it's changing ideas!!!

Actually it was Cale that said he wanted to be a CHF

Is that where the original idea came from?

I do remember Craig Cameron saying perhaps he could devlop into a CHF down the track. He'd get to enough contests if he ever did such is his aerobic capacity.

Is that where the original idea came from?

I do remember Craig Cameron saying perhaps he could devlop into a CHF down the track. He'd get to enough contests if he ever did such is his aerobic capacity.

I'm sure someone on here will know a little better than me but I've always been under the impression he wished to play at CHF (which was the opposite of Bate who's always said he wanted to be a midfielder)

Morton, Watts, Grimes, Maric, Blease, Strauss and Jurrah have the pedigree and draft rankings to suggest we have the nucleus of a fantastic side for the future. Let's hope the likes of Buckley, Bate, Sylvia, Dunn, Jones, Garland, Frawley, Martin, Petterd and Wonaemirri continue to develop and find consistent form to match their abilities. Throw an injury free run to Mclean, Davey, Miller, Rivers and PJ. A couple of smokey's in McNamara, Jetta, Bennell. Bail and Cheney, some wise heads in Green, Bruce and McDonald and who know's what will happen in 09. Hell, Newton might even decide to pull his finger out!! Maybe it's the footy free time or the sun but I'm starting to think that improvement may be closer than we think. Of course there's a chance next week I'll be back thinking that drafting Butcher and Scully in 09 is the way to go. Oh the mind and it's changing ideas!!!

Thinking that way is always fraught with danger . . .

Morton is a ripper. I'm almost sold on him in the same way I am about other young players who you just KNOW are class. As far as the CHF debate with him goes, it really depends on the direction of the game and the direction of the side. There's no real reason he can't be a Murphy-type CHF, which if certain demonlanders are to be believed, is the way of the future.

And if the rules committee keep altering the game, there's no telling what will happen to the kid in terms of what role he plays in the future. The beauty is he could fit in to so many spots.

Yep, anyone who says otherwise is majorly misguided.

If anybody needed proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp9k754zabQ

not one of those kicks is under any sort of pressure though - certainly not AFL grand final pressure, which, lets face it, is what we aspire to be able to perform under.

dont get me wrong, i love the kid, but that video doesnt give a true representation.

not one of those kicks is under any sort of pressure though - certainly not AFL grand final pressure, which, lets face it, is what we aspire to be able to perform under.

dont get me wrong, i love the kid, but that video doesnt give a true representation.

Adam goodes will kill to have disposal skills like this even if it is under no pressure!

He is going to be a beauty.

Can't wait for 09 season when the focus will be off him a little. (Watts and co plus a fit midfield around him).

Does anybody see him as a wing rather then forward in the long term?

Adam goodes will kill to have disposal skills like this even if it is under no pressure!

He is going to be a beauty.

Can't wait for 09 season when the focus will be off him a little. (Watts and co plus a fit midfield around him).

Does anybody see him as a wing rather then forward in the long term?

Yeah, definitely see him as a wingman patrolloing the centre square getting himself into space. And the boy has skills, he shanked a few kicks in his first season and all of sudden he can't kick, not likely. Let the boy aclimatise to the pressure of AFL. He will probably be the man who we want the ball in the hands of going into the forward line ala trav.

He is not comparable to Adam Goodes at all IMO. Firstly he doesn't have his leap or leg speed. Far more comparable to Cam Bruce but with a greater up-side at the same age. Will be around for a long time. Probably will do more of the sublime rather than the spectacular.

A future forward line of Watts, Morton, Jurrah, Maric & Wonaeamirri does sound very exciting.

It kind of annoys me a little when people write these. There's new ones every time we recruit a certain type of player...

Of those, only Morton and Wonna have played good footy. Jurrah is talented but could very easily become nothing. Watts is an exciting talent, but won't be even in the squad properly for a couple of years, and Maric has played only a moment or two of his AFL career.

MANY of the "exciting" current list won't make it. It's just about a mathematical certainty. Maric could be the next Steve Armstrong, Jurrah could be the next Daniel Hayes, Wonna could do a Bartram...

So yeah, call me pessimistic, but once I see a player do things at AFL level that prove they belong there THEN I get excited.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
It kind of annoys me a little when people write these. There's new ones every time we recruit a certain type of player...

Of those, only Morton and Wonna have played good footy. Jurrah is talented but could very easily become nothing. Watts is an exciting talent, but won't be even in the squad properly for a couple of years, and Maric has played only a moment or two of his AFL career.

MANY of the "exciting" current list won't make it. It's just about a mathematical certainty. Maric could be the next Steve Armstrong, Jurrah could be the next Daniel Hayes, Wonna could do a Bartram...

So yeah, call me pessimistic, but once I see a player do things at AFL level that prove they belong there THEN I get excited.

thats shithouse have some hope dappa dan it all we got at the moment go redlegs

Please remind me of the last time Melbourne recruited an exciting Key forward.

It kinda annoys me a little when people write these replies...(edit: this comment was tongue in cheek, after rereading it i realised it came across too harsh, please take it in the way it was meant and don't take offence)

thats shithouse have some hope dappa dan it all we got at the moment go redlegs

Jesus Jack. Commas mate...

And for the record, I have hope, I just don't have it in kids that have only JUST been recruited. We've gone through ten whole years of picking up these youngsters, and every year people come out with their 22, or their front six, or their back 6 and say "how good is that?!" when most if not all of the names have done next to nothing, and more importantly they end up DOING next to nothing. I agree there's some potential there, for sure, but I reckon it just reflects my being fed up with potential alone. I want tangible results. Form on the field, even if only a hint of it.

I'm one of the people who is hoping we recruit heavily at the end of '09.

Please remind me of the last time Melbourne recruited an exciting Key forward.

It kinda annoys me a little when people write these replies...(edit: this comment was tongue in cheek, after rereading it i realised it came across too harsh, please take it in the way it was meant and don't take offence)

Yeah, I thought the same thing after my last post. I actually meant it as a conversation starter, not a simple disagreement with you. In that sense, it was entirely uncalled for, so you have my apologies.

ALl the same, I hope you understand my reasoning. I keep seeing these names arranged in pretty groups of 6, and I keep getting disappointed.

You may want to consider this a pre-emptive strike against the tidal wave of dissent we're going to see next year as our side still comes to terms with the game.

You may want to consider this a pre-emptive strike against the tidal wave of dissent we're going to see next year as our side still comes to terms with the game.

Agreed, young sides have a habit a of playing inconsistently. We will show signs but I think it is fairly safe to say that we will not play finals in 09. All I am hoping to see is talent, self belief, spirit and determination.

To finish in the eight we would need an unbelievable turnaround in the midfield and the forward line. ie Jones, Moloney, Sylvia and someone else who can run and hit a target. And Newton or maybe Jurrah would have to emerge as a reliable consistent target and kick a lot of goals. Cant see both of these happening in 09 on a consistent basis.

those people looking at our previous topsy turvy years are kidding themselves if they think we are going to rise to near the top in 09. the 2 sides are like chalk and cheese. this side is a total rebuild.

Does that mean that the Detroit Lions are going to win it all next year?

LOL! 0-16. I really hope the Dees don't do a Detroit Lions next year.

I get the impression it's much easier to bounce back in American sports than it is in AFL. For example Miami Heat went 15-67 last year, while this year they're already 16-12. Must have something to do at throwing cash at players and not having a salary cap.

Guest Schtacker

Morton is just like everyone else in that there is every chance he will be an average player or even a bad player and all we can do is hope. Have to give him about 8.5 out of 10 so far though. If he and Watts become the players they are expected to ( though this never happens at the MFC) then we might actually see some names near the top of brownlow betting and on AA team sheets. We need this to happen.