Small - medium mids

dee-luded

Sam Blease

DOB: 2/5/90

State league: VIC

Club: Eastern Ranges

JM: Sammy has exceptional speed. He was with our AIS-AFL Academy this year and I think what he achieved with his footy this year was quite remarkable considering he had no preparation coming in. He had minor surgery on both his hips – one in December and one in January – so he had no continuity in his training, but was very diligent with the way he went about it.

He sets high standards for himself; he was disappointed with his third game when we came back to Perth, but that's to be expected when you have no pre-season.

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/2...px?newsId=69266

Sam Blease

DOB: 2/5/90

State league: VIC

Club: Eastern Ranges

JM: Sammy has exceptional speed. He was with our AIS-AFL Academy this year and I think what he achieved with his footy this year was quite remarkable considering he had no preparation coming in. He had minor surgery on both his hips – one in December and one in January – so he had no continuity in his training, but was very diligent with the way he went about it.

He sets high standards for himself; he was disappointed with his third game when we came back to Perth, but that's to be expected when you have no pre-season.

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/2...px?newsId=69266

The hip surgery might explain why his performances during the National Championships appeared to be so hot and cold. An interesting prospect for pick 17 or 19.

Guest uncle joe

Blease would be a great pick at 17 , 19 .

Swift a big risk as an early pick with his injury problems . Maybe third or fourth round if he's still there .

Blease would be a great pick at 17 , 19 .

Swift a big risk as an early pick with his injury problems . Maybe third or fourth round if he's still there .

Tom Swift        

DOB: 06/7/90

State league: WA

Club: Claremont

JM: Tommy will be a really interesting one come draft day because he was in our AIS/AFL Academy last year and Daniel Rich was in that side at the time and I believe there wasn't much difference between the two of them.

What happened with Tom though was he did his knee in our first game in Perth on the way to South Africa and spent 12 months off in rehab. Coming back this year he had a setback with his opposite knee, not an ACL, but it saw him miss the under-18 championships.

He's a super intelligent kid and didn't miss a session in his rehab; he's very diligent in his preparation and has a high work ethic. So when he came to Draft Camp his speed was good and his beep test was good as well.

He didn't end up playing, not because of the knee, but he's 192 cm now and he's had some growing pains with that. He's virtually missed nearly two years of footy, but I think he might surprise a few people with how high he gets taken.

Tom sets really high standards for himself and he just wants to achieve.

Tom Swift        

DOB: 06/7/90

State league: WA

Club: Claremont

JM: Tommy will be a really interesting one come draft day because he was in our AIS/AFL Academy last year and Daniel Rich was in that side at the time and I believe there wasn't much difference between the two of them.

What happened with Tom though was he did his knee in our first game in Perth on the way to South Africa and spent 12 months off in rehab. Coming back this year he had a setback with his opposite knee, not an ACL, but it saw him miss the under-18 championships.

He's a super intelligent kid and didn't miss a session in his rehab; he's very diligent in his preparation and has a high work ethic. So when he came to Draft Camp his speed was good and his beep test was good as well.

He didn't end up playing, not because of the knee, but he's 192 cm now and he's had some growing pains with that. He's virtually missed nearly two years of footy, but I think he might surprise a few people with how high he gets taken.

Tom sets really high standards for himself and he just wants to achieve.

If he's rated as highly as Rich and is a midfield at 192cm he'll be a freak

If he's rated as highly as Rich and is a midfield at 192cm he'll be a freak

I have been lead to believe he is very highly rated, but the injuries are a massive concern, I would be willing to take the risk on him if he does slip through.

I have been lead to believe he is very highly rated, but the injuries are a massive concern, I would be willing to take the risk on him if he does slip through.

All the mail on Swift is that he's as good as Rich or any of the other midfielders in this class - the injuries are the concern.

Could be another Judd draft situation but he'll slide further.

BIG call to take, but i'd have a gamble if I was Barry.

And then get killed for it for the next 15 years like CAC with Molan.

All the mail on Swift is that he's as good as Rich or any of the other midfielders in this class - the injuries are the concern.

Yes we need class & speed, but we need it in a robust body to win G/Fs.

The recruit doesn't have to be the fastest in the comp, just quick is enough.

The recruit doesn't have to be the classiest in the comp, highly talented is enough.

What they do need is the strong will & good attitude with a solid body to develope their excellent attributes further.

The recruit doesn't have to be the classiest in the comp, highly talented is enough.

What they do need is the strong will & good attitude with a solid body to develope their excellent attributes further.

So if you could've taken Judd you would've passed him up for a Jude Bolton?

Injuries can happen to any player, no matter how 'robust'.

Past injuries are irrelevant.

Past injuries that have a high chance of reoccurring or that the player is unlikely to recover from, is another matter.

Obviously MFC would look into this before taking him.

If he's as good as they say & not likely to be using a zimmer frame at 22, i say take him.

If he's still there, which i doubt he will be.

Guest Golgothan

The difference would be that we could have the option to take him at pick 17, so if he's a flop it's not like it's our only high pick. With 3 top 20 picks, i think with at least one we should take a "high risk- high reward" pick if that's the best player and Swift would fall into that category.

There's no doubt about Swift's will or attitude. He's had to go through 2 years playing less then 10 games, plenty of kids would give up. He's also meant to be a really smart kid, getting something equivelant of an ENTER over 99, so with the world at his feet, he's still dedicated to playing footy.

Watch this video of him, comes across as a really switched on kid.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=f-EeBGharDA

There's no doubt about Swift's will or attitude. He's had to go through 2 years playing less then 10 games, plenty of kids would give up. He's also meant to be a really smart kid, getting something equivelant of an ENTER over 99, so with the world at his feet, he's still dedicated to playing footy.

damn good point on him overcoming those injuries - shows a lot of character this kid.

I think we'll be lucky if he's still around. But i think we'll be lucky no matter what this year, such is the depth :D

The difference would be that we could have the option to take him at pick 17, so if he's a flop it's not like it's our only high pick. With 3 top 20 picks, i think with at least one we should take a "high risk- high reward" pick if that's the best player and Swift would fall into that category.

Watch this video of him, comes across as a really switched on kid.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=f-EeBGharDA

I don't know anything about swift, only what I've read. I've seen no video of him.

My instinct is all I have to go on, there's plenty of good players out there.

Guest Late Draft Pick

Sylvinator started a great thread a couple of weeks ago on the draft

that has now slipped off the radar.

From the discussions there and then seeing some phantom drafts

I see 16 players locked in to the first 16, these include Blease, Hill,

Swift, Trengrove,and McKernan (exactly the same as Sylvinator except Robinson out and Swift in)

and just outside these, Robinson, Suban, Schoenmakers, Cornelius,

Walters, O'Keefe, Lyle and a couple of others.

I'm hoping for a tall amongst them or Swift of Blease to still be there at 17.

However

I've got a feeling Geelong would take Swift if he was still available and that

Collingwood will take Blease (just guessing).

Hawthorn a couple of years ago with lots of picks took Beau Muston

around 20; they were the only team that could afford the risk, and he still might come good.

I don't see Swift as big a risk and he certainly has better credentials. But as has

been pointed out here, picking either Blease or Swift does mean letting

go a very good tall.

From reading summaries here and at afl.com my hopes of getting a very good/interesting pick at 35

have come alive as well.