Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Anyone for cricket?


Whispering_Jack
 Share


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Well explained! Thank you for the different view. I guess I knee-jerked when I heard they’d offered him (an insulting) six months extension. I’m also still smarting over the whole Tim Paine situation. I know he was maligned by many, but I was a huge fan. Considering the circumstances under which he was (without warning) given the captaincy, I think he performed very well in that capacity. I mean, in the blink of an eye the top three (coach, captain and v/captain) effectively fall off the face of the Earth and Tim was thrown in the deep end. Even before the cheating I actually never liked Steve Smith, either. Maybe it’s because I was a big fan of Pup and it makes sense to not warm to his replacement, especially when he’s been replaced by a player I don’t like.  And Warner… I can’t stand him. Never liked him, and especially dislike him more since the embarrassing scandal they put Aus through. 
Whoa, what a rant! I feel much better now having expressed that, though. 😁

Fair enough

Personalities aside, I tend to view it all a bit differently.  Losing at home to India last year still smarts yet most will have forgotten all about it.  Not me

If we'd have won that series I'm not sure that the conversation about Langer would be the same. In my view, he'd still be the coach if we'd have won that series

Ok, we defeated England 4-0 but they were non competitive for the most part. They were as poor as what we were in 1985 (or 2010/11)

And the t20 World Cup is a bit of a lottery anyway ... I don't place too much stock in the super-abbreviated form of the game

But with regards to Test cricket, at home, there are high expectations on winning ... away from home, the interest is often way less

For instance, the last time we toured Sri Lanka we lost 0-3 in the 3 Tests.  And we've only beaten India in a Test series in India once in over 5 decades.  Also, the last time we defeated England in England (Test series) was in 2001

And in the last 4 series against South Africa, they have won 3 of the series (including the last 2 series) ... a 3 & 8 W/L record in the last 13 tests between the 2 countries

We are no longer a powerhouse even though we've got a reasonably good team (mainly at home)

 

Footnote: After that series loss to India did JL have 1 year left on his contract?  Then extended by 6 months? 

The writing might have been on the wall 18 months ago ... but the murmurings have been ever-present for 2 years

 

Edited by Macca
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

Fair enough

Personalities aside, I tend to view it all a bit differently.  Losing at home to India last year still smarts yet most will have forgotten all about it.  Not me

If we'd have won that series I'm not sure that the conversation about Langer would be the same. In my view, he'd still be the coach if we'd have won that series

Ok, we defeated England 4-0 but they were non competitive for the most part. They were as poor as what we were in 1985 (or 2010/11)

And the t20 World Cup is a bit of a lottery anyway ... I don't place too much stock in the super-abbreviated form of the game

But with regards to Test cricket, at home, there are high expectations on winning ... away from home, the interest is often way less

For instance, the last time we toured Sri Lanka we lost 0-3 in the 3 Tests.  And we've only beaten India in a Test series in India once in over 5 decades.  Also, the last time we defeated England in England (Test series) was in 2001

And in the last 4 series against South Africa, they have won 3 of the series (including the last 2 series) ... a 3 & 8 W/L record in the last 13 tests between the 2 countries

We are no longer a powerhouse even though we've got a reasonably good team (mainly at home)

There's my rant!

 

Yeah, you make a great point in that most of us fans tend to forget results from matches abroad. It’s easily done.

As for last year’s series, same thing applies (selective memory, perhaps) eg. the thing at the forefront of my memory is that we bowled them out for 36 in their second innings in Adelaide. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Yeah, you make a great point in that most of us fans tend to forget results from matches abroad. It’s easily done.

As for last year’s series, same thing applies (selective memory, perhaps) eg. the thing at the forefront of my memory is that we bowled them out for 36 in their second innings in Adelaide. 

Yep, India beat us and it wasn't even their best side ... but the reason I've brought it up is if we had have won that series it would have been awfully difficult for CA to not offer JL a much longer extension (especially when adding in a 4-0 series win over England)

We retained the Ashes in England in 2019 but again, if we'd have won that series that's another notch on JL's belt

But if he's keen, Langer won't be out of work for long ... that intense style can often work in the short term.  Maybe not in the long term though!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Macca said:

Yep, India beat us and it wasn't even their best side ... but the reason I've brought it up is if we had have won that series it would have been awfully difficult for CA to not offer JL a much longer extension (especially when adding in a 4-0 series win over England)

We retained the Ashes in England in 2019 but again, if we'd have won that series that's another notch on JL's belt

But if he's keen, Langer won't be out of work for long ... that intense style can often work in the short term.  Maybe not in the long term though!

I read somewhere he might possibly be getting a gig in some capacity with CA. Whatever he decides to do, we all wish him well, of course. 💚💛

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will Pucovski suffers yet another concussion. Surely now either the powers that be or in his own best interests and accord its time to retire. I just cannot fathom out how a cricketer can get what is it 11 concussions?? Nup thats it young man, please don't play again! Sorry!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, picket fence said:

Will Pucovski suffers yet another concussion. Surely now either the powers that be or in his own best interests and accord its time to retire. I just cannot fathom out how a cricketer can get what is it 11 concussions?? Nup thats it young man, please don't play again! Sorry!

He must have walked under a few ladders,  the lad.  Hard to fathom his run of bad luck.  He was apparently hit with a soccer ball at training this time

Things will hopefully turn around but we don't know about the extent of the effect of these concussions or the severity

But I'm reminded that numerous people were writing off Pat Cummins and now he's the captain of Australia!

Again, we don't know the severity of these concussions so if he battles on, it could be assumed that it's safe to do so.  The kid has got talent so I hope he gets back

Edited by Macca
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Not sure what the criticism of Cummins’ decision making in regards to the declaration in Karachi, seems to have called it perfectly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Factoring in time lost, the first test against Sri Lanka has lasted 6 sessions

Travis Head with 4-10 ... who would have thought! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So in the last month we've had Ben Stokes retire from ODI cricket citing the schedule as a major reason so he can instead focus on Test and T20 cricket and we've also now had Trent Boult forgo his NZ cricket contract so he can spend more time at home.

 

Cricket and ODI cricket in particular seems to be at a tipping point and something needs to be done IMO to salvage it.

The T20 leagues and franchise cricket is here to stay unfortunately, so there's no putting the cat back in the bag. So in my view cricket needs a few fixes to keep things on track.

 

1. Look to take a leaf out of international soccers books and create international duty windows where players are to prioritise international duties over Franchise duties.

2. Scrap all bilateral international ODI and T20 series. All tours going forward should just be test tours (maximum of 5 home & away tests a year).

3. Outside of the ODI and T20 World Cups, all ODI's and T20's are to be World Cup Qualifier tournaments. This means that teams at stages will likely go 12 months+ without an international ODI or T20 match. But when they do play, they'll mean a lot!

4. West Indies to disband in White Ball cricket. I don't want to get rid of them entirely and this is why I think they should remain in Test cricket. But in the white ball format where the game can be grown I think they should go back to their own nations. This will make sense for things like Olympics and Commonwealth Games anyway.

5. Have one major cricket tournament every year over a 4 year cycle. 

ODI World Cup

T20 World Cup

Test Match World Cup (yep, time to introduce this)

T20 @ Olympics (ICC is pushing for 2028. Should be able to have it by 2032 at the latest). In the meantime, bring the men in for 2026 Commonwealth Games as a trial before it hits the Olympics.

Interested to hear what people think and if this could potentially work for cricket like it does soccer?

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Watched the BBL Draft this evening which made for interesting viewing. A lot of the big names eg Andre Russell, Kieron Pollard, Dwayne Bravo and Faf Du Plessis who could only play the early part of the tournament were overlooked for players who could play either the whole thing or the majority of which I think is a good thing.

The only players picked who are only doing about half a season I think were Rashid Khan for Adelaide and Trent Boult for the Stars.

Edited by MadAsHell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, Channel 7 are suing CA with regards the Big Bash and the supposed lesser quality of the product (lower ratings as a result)

An unprecedented move as I can't ever remember anything of the sort ever happening here in Australia or overseas

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Macca said:

Meanwhile, Channel 7 are suing CA with regards the Big Bash and the supposed lesser quality of the product (lower ratings as a result)

An unprecedented move as I can't ever remember anything of the sort ever happening here in Australia or overseas

That's pretty amazing stuff! Where does that leave this Summers broadcast of cricket? It sounds pretty untenable to have 7 as the broadcaster while they're in the middle of suing CA doesn't it???

The sooner Cricket goes across to Channel 10 the better it will be IMO. They never should have taken thr BBL off there in the first place.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

That's pretty amazing stuff! Where does that leave this Summers broadcast of cricket? It sounds pretty untenable to have 7 as the broadcaster while they're in the middle of suing CA doesn't it???

The sooner Cricket goes across to Channel 10 the better it will be IMO. They never should have taken thr BBL off there in the first place.

Yes, Ch10 seemed like an ideal fit for the Big Bash ... could end up there the way things are going, TD!

Ch7 need to make the Tests work though and that shouldn't be too much of an ask ... Ch9 look like they are all-in with the Tennis (they are covering the US Open as well starting just after midnight tonight)

Covid wasn't kind to the t20's though.  The sport needs a packed house to get the viewers engaged.  Being a new sport, the games looked strange played in front of empty stands

As for the International draft, a fizzer according to the pundits

And the Big Bash is up against the new UAE t20 tournament as well as the new South African league (where all the teams are owned by consortiums from the IPL)

The BBL season is going to be right up against it this summer

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Well we got our backsides kicked by the kiwis in tonites t20 opener. To many has beens in the side and they will have to adjust after the t20. That is if they are capable of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Pedestrian attack but Marnus is a freak anyway ... certainly knows how to cash in but from all accounts, he practices like no other

Bring on the South Africans!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 3 weeks later...

Mankad.

Seriously this should not be a problem. The umpires should call a short run if the runner is out of the crease at the point of delivery. FIXED! 

Note: The batsmen may bat outside the crease.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can anyone explain how Ashton Agar who has played only one first class match this season for only one wicket  and averages over 40 with the ball in first class matches was preferred as the second spinner ahead of Swepson or Murphy?  

Surely they can't be considering him as the second spinner in India.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2023 at 12:14 PM, grazman said:

Can anyone explain how Ashton Agar who has played only one first class match this season for only one wicket  and averages over 40 with the ball in first class matches was preferred as the second spinner ahead of Swepson or Murphy?  

Surely they can't be considering him as the second spinner in India.  

Particularly as it doesn’t seem to play all that well for spinners these days anyway; Lyon averages north of 40 at the ground.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    TRAINING MONDAY 30/1/2023 NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundhog da

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundhog day ground ball gets Teles

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jordon, K Turner, #46 (may be Coop

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...