Favourite matches since 2000

Timmuns

Sure this kind of topic has been posted before... but I'm only new to this forum and I would like to hear what everyone's favourite games (or moments) are.

Here are mine:

2000 qualifying final - V Carlton - for obvious reasons

2004 round 11 - V Freo at Subi - we were done and dusted at 3 quarter time, bucketed down in the 4th to the point where you could hardly see what was going on and yet we managed to kick 7.6 in the last quarter to storm home!

2005 - rounds 20 - 22

1. V Geelong at Skilled Stadium - my first time down at the Cattery, needed to win all our remaining games to make the finals, the boys stuck it out and pulled off a 1 point win [Geelong 15.9 (99) Melbourne 14.16 (100) ] with the geelong player missing the shot on goal after the siren to notch our first win in 17 years at Skilled.

2. V W.Bulldogs at the 'G [Melbourne 16.13 (109) Western Bulldogs 16.9 (105) ] I was at the game again - awesome game (remembering that we needed to win our last three for the season) - a comeback out of no where - Jeff White the superstar kicking the goal to steal the victory - similar feeling to yesterday :P

3. V Essendon Essendon 12.13 (85) Melbourne 13.17 (95) - Another thriller, had a stupid family do on, but managed to see the second half, Robbo kicking us into the finals!

2006 elimination final - V St Kilda 10.12 (72) Melbourne 13.12 (90) - Made it to the game - after two years of straight elimination, the pressure was on (also for St Kilda) - a very close tussle, big crowd, big win and we made the G-Train look stupid along with the "highly esteemed" Saints

2008 - Round 7 - ie yesterday! (If you can't remember what happened you can barrack for Collingwood lol)

oh AND of course all the Queen's Birthday matches since 2004!

Sure this kind of topic has been posted before... but I'm only new to this forum and I would like to hear what everyone's favourite games (or moments) are.

Here are mine:

2004 round 11 - V Freo at Subi - we were done and dusted at 3 quarter time, bucketed down in the 4th to the point where you could hardly see what was going on and yet we managed to kick 7.6 in the last quarter to storm home!

2005 - rounds 20 - 22

1. V Geelong at Skilled Stadium - my first time down at the Cattery, needed to win all our remaining games to make the finals, the boys stuck it out and pulled off a 1 point win [Geelong 15.9 (99) Melbourne 14.16 (100) ] with the geelong player missing the shot on goal after the siren to notch our first win in 17 years at Skilled.

2. V W.Bulldogs at the 'G [Melbourne 16.13 (109) Western Bulldogs 16.9 (105) ] I was at the game again - awesome game (remembering that we needed to win our last three for the season) - a comeback out of no where - Jeff White the superstar kicking the goal to steal the victory - similar feeling to yesterday :P

3. V Essendon Essendon 12.13 (85) Melbourne 13.17 (95) - Another thriller, had a stupid family do on, but managed to see the second half, Robbo kicking us into the finals!

2006 elimination final - V St Kilda 10.12 (72) Melbourne 13.12 (90) - Made it to the game - after two years of straight elimination, the pressure was on (also for St Kilda) - a very close tussle, big crowd, big win and we made the G-Train look stupid along with the "highly esteemed" Saints

2008 - Round 7 - ie yesterday! (If you can't remember what happened you can barrack for Collingwood lol)

Couldn't agree more, 2 more off the top of my head would be the 2002 Brisbane Lions "Home Game" win and also round 1 2005 in memory of Troy.

OOOOH. I love talking about this with other fans...

It's kind of embarrassing to say that our classic games aren't premierships, and that probably our highest place finish (except 2000) was a game we limped over the line in.

All the same...

1: St Kilda vs Melbourne Elimination final, 2006: Gehrig getting hurt by the demons hard-man. Brock's arrival as a player. Neitz a small bag, Davey's comeback, Riv asserting himself. Fast finish and comeback scoreline. The reason we go to the footy. My first winning final as a spectator. Will be number one for a while yet.

2: Geelong vs Melbourne, rd 20 2005: Stirring win, the catalyst for a finals berth. Started a run of 3 close ones. First win down there in nearly 20 years. A good team playing well. Pity about 3 weeks later.

3: Fremantle vs Melbourne, rd 7 2008: All the factors. Finiching with a kick on the ground after. The WAY we won, not limping over the line. The "I was there when" factor of the best MFC comeback. The inescapable fact that truly terrible sides can't do what they did at this level, even against a side like Freo away from home. We may not be much, but we're better than I thought. Fans turned up making a mockery of the media. The passion of a club united even in the face of dire circumstances. As close to magic as you ever see in Australian Rules football. Truly classic day. The only negatives were the truly woeful opposition, and the fact that it's only one win among a raft of losses.

4: Sydney vs Melbourne, rd 4 2006: SCG, Bruce kicks the sealer right over my scone. First time at the ground. Surrounded by Swans fans. Awesome feeling. Followed with 5 more wins and the dees were on the way. Gutsy win with injuries. GF's first experience of footy. Never been prouder, til yesterday.

5: Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne, rd 21 2005: Two weeks of come-from-behind victories. There's something great about following a side that runs games out like the dees did that year. You do lose games, but you don't lose the way Freo did yesterday. Winning like that two weeks in a row made you believe we were made of stern stuff. A false dawn... but still... GREAT feeling on the day.

The Carlton comeback in 2000, as well as the Roos game would be in there but I wasn't around then. No first-hand experience.

The dons game, in round 22, 2005 would have been in there. We just didn't play that well. Only scraped in.

Collingwood Monday matches X 2 have been good.

And the Blues 100+ thrashing was ok.

Join my facebook group i created today! Purely for this conversation!!!

I was there...

Genius. I'll just step out now to have a look...

was a favourite , just for a funny moment opposition player did in 2005 i think vs lions when mal micheal decides to line up and kicked an opposition behind, the crowd was laughing i tells ya

but best was watching the troy broadbridge tribute match, i cried during that match ,aminly when you never walk alone came on was a great tribute

Here are mine:

2005 - rounds 20 - 22

Was at every single one except the Freo game, IMO Carlton was the best, then the Bulldogs game and yesterday. Carlton was the first time I really really lost my voice, cheering so hard. Bulldogs was sooo so special, that was an amazing feeling. Hell, they were all great.

was a favourite , just for a funny moment opposition player did in 2005 i think vs lions when mal micheal decides to line up and kicked an opposition behind, the crowd was laughing i tells ya

but best was watching the troy broadbridge tribute match, i cried during that match ,aminly when you never walk alone came on was a great tribute

Oh yeah that was funny (the Mal Michael thing) I've been up to the Gabba games the last three years cos I have family there and its always a good opportunity to escape the cold melbourne weather! Speaking of the Brissy games, I was right behind Aussie when he kicked that freak goal, and I remember Davey getting that one last year when he volleyed it from 30 metres out! Good times good times (bar the losses lol)

AND of course, I forgot the Broady game... man... that was pure emotion at the start for everyone involved... (especially for me considering that my last game I had been to was indeed the Elimination Final against Essendon (f%$k you Dean Solomon you dirty bastard - if anyone remembers that :()the year before and it was Broady's last game that he played of AFL footy... :(