Revised best 22 for 2008

Yze_Magic

Havent done this for a while. My last effort was probably just after the National draft. SO here we go.

B Matthew Whelan Nathan Carroll Daniel Bell

HB Ricky Petterd Jared Rivers James Frawley

C Cameron Bruce Nathan Jones Brad Green

HF Russell Robertson Matthew Bate Aaron Davey

F Colin Sylvia David Neitz Michael Newton

R Jeff White James McDonald Brock McLean

I/C Brent Moloney John Meesen Clint Bartram Lynden Dunn

On the fringe - Ben Holland, Adem Yze, Paul Johnson, Cale Morton, Adam Maric, Paul Wheatley, Brad Miller, Isaac Weetra, Simon Buckley

Best22 when fully fit:

Whelan Carrol Frawley

Bell Rivers Pettard

Sylvia Mclean Bruce

Green Newton Bate

Robertson Neitz Davey

White Jones McDonald

Int: Meesan, Moloney, Miller, Yze, Dunn, Holland, Bartram

Depth: Warnock (key position depth), P.J and Jamar (Ruck depth), C.Johnson (flanker depth)- these guyz only play when injuries arise in their position.

Developing (in order from closest to playing afl to furthest away)- Bode, Garland, Buckley, Weetra, Cheney, Morton, McNamara, S.Martin, C.Morton, J.Grimes, A.Maric

Rookies: Zomer, Winnimewera, Valenti and Spensor...

That is our full list. Looking at that list it is clear why we will struggle to come top8 this year, yet we have a promising future for 2-3 seasons time.

We have 11 players who are in early stages of development! in our starting 18 we have a rediculous 8 players who are in their first 4 yrs of their careers (Jones, Mclean, Sylvia, Bate, Davey, Frawley, Pettard, Newton)[/b]

In our best 25 i have included 4 players who have serious injury problems (Rivers, Moloney, Bartram, Whelan) as well as 6 players who are literally on their last legs (Neitz, White, McDonald, Yze, Holland and Whelan will all retire in the next 1-2 yrs)...

If we have any kind of injuries this year we will be forced to play kidz who are simply not up to afl yet. unfortunately that means we will struggle for much of this year unless we get no injuries.

The positive side is that our developing players are highly talented and highly rated kidz- Morton, Grimes, Maric, Buckley and Garland all look like future 200 gamers! add that to our current youngsters in the starting 18 and you have a seriously good side in 2 yrs time.

The positive side is that our developing players are highly talented and highly rated kidz- Morton, Grimes, Maric, Buckley and Garland all look like future 200 gamers! add that to our current youngsters in the starting 18 and you have a seriously good side in 2 yrs time.

Garland is a 200 game player? I doubt that.

You're right though, we'll be much better in 2010 or so

Miller has to be given a go this year as his last chance at MFC before he loses CHF to Newton and CHB to Frawley/Rivers

I reckon Matty Whelan is finished personally. He's a 28? year old in the body of a 38 year old.

I agree. He should've retired last year.

As much as I love him as a player, it's time to get rid of injury prone players. We seem to have too many of them at the moment.

Crunch year for Whelan, Moloney, Sylvia and even Rivers.

Havent done this for a while. My last effort was probably just after the National draft. SO here we go.

B Matthew Whelan Nathan Carroll Daniel Bell

HB Ricky Petterd Jared Rivers James Frawley

C Cameron Bruce Nathan Jones Brad Green

HF Russell Robertson Matthew Bate Aaron Davey

F Colin Sylvia David Neitz Michael Newton

R Jeff White James McDonald Brock McLean

I/C Brent Moloney John Meesen Clint Bartram Lynden Dunn

On the fringe - Ben Holland, Adem Yze, Paul Johnson, Cale Morton, Adam Maric, Paul Wheatley, Brad Miller, Isaac Weetra, Simon Buckley

Half back line is very inexperienced & would buckle under strain. I would have P Wheatley in instead for height and length of kicking if shoulder has recovered. And no Batram. Perhaps not on basis of for round 1 only??

On the basis of yesterday's match, I believe that this should be the team for Round 1:

B: Petterd Martin Carroll

HB: Bell Rivers Yze

C: Buckley Jones Bruce

HF: Bate Miller Davey

F: Robertson Neitz Newton

R: White McLean McDonald

I/C: Meeson Sylvia Moloney Green

- We need to bite the bullet and make some brave decisions about our backline - Martin seems a good long-term option

- Bartram won't be ready

- Dunn unlucky to miss, but he has already been overtaken by Buckley in terms of a midfield option

- Frawley, Wheatley and Whelan - on the cusp

- It's a shame Valenti is a rookie because I love him already

Half back line is very inexperienced & would buckle under strain. I would have P Wheatley in instead for height and length of kicking if shoulder has recovered. And no Batram. Perhaps not on basis of for round 1 only??

IMO the main problem for our defence is the number of inside 50s the opposition seems to get. Any defence would crumble in the same circumstances.

Our half forwards and midfielders need to put more pressure on the opposition (like flash a couple of seasons ago). We are generally very poor at this and the ball comes down too often and too easily.