And we can officially say goodbye to CAC

Yencks

This is actually a blessing in disguise. It's a chance for a completely new start for the club, fresh ideas and approach.

Yeah, that's all well and good, but I'm more concerned with the immediate ramifications.

We got CAC when he was relatively green and eager. You could argue he probably wanted the job more then, and in the last 10 years many agree he's improved immesurably.

So what happens now? We get another green and eager bloke in and we get 5 or so seasons of Molans, Rogers etc. etc before he comes good? We're in a similar position now when it comes to appointing his replacement in that we can't afford to spend big bucks like the toigs can. So ultimately we're the training ground for one of the league's best recruiters, and we'll be that again.

Your point about a new start is relevant only when the outgoing team-members are not achieving any more. Daniher, Ward, Brown, Godfrey, Fagan, Riley... these guys were finished, or in the case of the footy department guys, they probably felt they had done all they could at Melbourne.

CAC, as far as I'm concerned, still had a lot to offer the club, and unlike many of the list above my point has been proven by the fact that he was head-hunted by our opposition.

In order to go all the way we need to cut out the parts that are no longer serving our ultimate goals, but MORE IMPORTANTLY keep those that are, or that at least COULD serve our ultimate goals. As it is we have an entirely new footy department pretty much. Not just the coach. How many flags have you seen won by a bunch of green guys like that? They have so much to learn, and by the time they come good (in 5 years say) who's to say the same thing won't happen again?

I guess in the end the point is moot. Clearly he wanted to leave, and there's no sense in trying to make him stay when his heart's not in it...

I think the thing that upsets me the most is the "money" side of things. When we missed out on Judd, we were consoled with some other top picks that we're already excited about. He would have been great, but then there was the salary cap to consider, and the Blues did pay a hefty price for the guy in ANYONE'S language. At least when players choose a club because of money, then the club will inevitably feel the squeeze in other areas...

But in CAC's case, if it really was just a case of him getting paid more, then basically it's as simple as this... CAC left because Melbourne doesn't have the resources to keep him.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer... again. Jarka, I'm finding it hard to see the sunny side here... :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason to get angry is CAC had just signed a 3 year contract, now wishes to break his contract and leave the club, where is the integrity <_< .

There is no reason then.

He has not broken the contract but exercised a clause in the contract that was agreed between MFC and himself.

But in CAC's case, if it really was just a case of him getting paid more, then basically it's as simple as this... CAC left because Melbourne doesn't have the resources to keep him.

I think after 10 years at MFC, CAC sought new challenges.

He will definitely get them at Tigerland.

Yeah, that's all well and good, but I'm more concerned with the immediate ramifications.

which are exactly ?? I dont think the clubs about to fall apart without him..

So what happens now? We get another green and eager bloke in and we get 5 or so seasons of Molans, Rogers etc. etc before he comes good? We're in a similar position now when it comes to appointing his replacement in that we can't afford to spend big bucks like the toigs can. So ultimately we're the training ground for one of the league's best recruiters, and we'll be that again.

on the basis of what can you summise that...pure conjecture !! The club took the time and had a process to install the other positions and Im sure it will carry through to a new head of recruiting. But heres a newsflash..CAC, good as he's been wasnt perfect..and he's certainly not the only one in football land.. we'll survive..it'll be ok..lol

Your point about a new start is relevant only when the outgoing team-members are not achieving any more. Daniher, Ward, Brown, Godfrey, Fagan, Riley... these guys were finished, or in the case of the footy department guys, they probably felt they had done all they could at Melbourne.

Im sorry I just dont get your point on any of this.. It of course will be a new start of sorts as simply a new person will imput diferent things. But..and heres the big but... CAC has stamped his influence on the immediate already.. Theres a whole stack of kids yet to kid in anger.. His iinput for the comng drafts is already done and dusted.. .. and so whomever takes the mantle will not have to decide on anyone overnight.

CAC, as far as I'm concerned, still had a lot to offer the club,

posible...we'll never know.. as you intimate...its moot

I think the thing that upsets me the most is the "money" side of things. When we missed out on Judd, we were consoled with some other top picks that we're already excited about. He would have been great, but then there was the salary cap to consider, and the Blues did pay a hefty price for the guy in ANYONE'S language. At least when players choose a club because of money, then the club will inevitably feel the squeeze in other areas...

So..... youre not allowed to accept a better paying position?? Its his job

many forget he has family ties to Richmond.. is it just a smidge possible that he has some hankering to be involved with that club ??

In the end ..we all need to realise one man does not make a club. He has been part of a process. It can be accorded some success but also some legitimate questions can be raised after all we have no cups in the cupboard of late. Again..this in itself is not just one mans doing .

The club is evolving. I distinctly have the feeling its moving forward CAC was part of it.. now he's not. His legacy will be with us for a few years to come still, by which time anothers influence will be visible and many will be wondering what on earth all the rhetoric was about.

life goes on :)

[censored] him... why would he leave us to join a deadbeat club like richmond...

dont thank him, apparently he was helping rebuild.. and deserts us when we need him..

hope richmond stay at the bottom of the ladder for 50 years, its where the belong

I have never been more embarrassed to be a member of Demonland than I was after reading some of the crap posted in this thread.

Have a little bit of respect people. We've all sought greener pastures before, and one day you kids (re: quoted post) will too.

Guest unstable punt
Cya Craig

Gotta say I loved your work, but Ill never understand why you would choose Terry Solarium Wallace and Greg The Snake Miller over the MFC

anyone would want to play or work for the club they support

Guest MFC4Life
I have never been more embarrassed to be a member of Demonland than I was after reading some of the crap posted in this thread.

Have a little bit of respect people. We've all sought greener pastures before, and one day you kids (re: quoted post) will too.

Agree Nasher, its deplorable some of the posts on this thread.

Last time I checked we we're all autonomous beings.

CAC, thanks for the years of service mate.

Craig will be back at the MFC before you know it

Once Greg Miller lies to him for the 100th time and Terry Solarium tries to yalk him into a threesome with Nathan Brown, Craig will bolt

Nasher, people are likely to be emotional over this issue and as with all things, they are entitled to express this emotion and the opinion that goes with it.

Some of us are embarrassed that our football club has never been able to produce a champion over the last 25 or so years and we are well within our rights to feel angered at this defection.

It is all relative Nash.

Has given the club 10 years service - came to the club with Neale Daniher and has provided us with a core group of youth, that should be the equal of any. The champion comments are pretty harsh on a genuine bloke that is only too happy to have a chat about the Mighty Demons and its players and also opposition players as well.. the cold days at Sandy with Craig are insightful...

He has gone to the club he supported as a kid and with family connections and this is only natural.

The Tigers would appear a club that require someone like a Craig Cameron and while we lose a great recruiter, it gives the football department a whole new smell....

I for one think it is an exciting time for the footy club - a new coach, new assistant coaches, new players including some long term injuries and it is our 150th year...

Come on Demons!!

I for one think it is an exciting time for the footy club - a new coach, new assistant coaches, new players including some long term injuries and it is our 150th year...

Come on Demons!!

very much the case.. it ought to be treated as an opportunity not a loss.

What is...IS...and what is is that he is going.. such is life..

NEXT !!!

roll on 2008..9..10.....

Nasher, people are likely to be emotional over this issue and as with all things, they are entitled to express this emotion and the opinion that goes with it.

Some of us are embarrassed that our football club has never been able to produce a champion over the last 25 or so years and we are well within our rights to feel angered at this defection.

It is all relative Nash.

I agree that people are entitled to their opinions, which is why, with my moderator hat on, I left all the posts intact despite the fact that I vehemently disagree with their contents. I'm also bitterly disappointed that we've lost him; for many reasons. It irks me just as much as anyone that we've not had a champion in the last 25 years -- I'm 24 and too young to remember Flower, so I've never even seen one in red and blue colours! I don't see what that's got to do with this though.

With all that said, I don't think disappointment or even anger justifies some of the character slurs some people are spewing forth. It all boils down to this one point, the man is doing what he thinks is best for himself, and I can't see any possible justification for not allowing him that. He's been in the one job at the same employer for 11 years , that's a long time by anyone's measure, and actually shows great loyalty rather than disloyalty. He does not owe this footy club, or any of its supporters, anything at all. If you ask me, we owe him.

Whats everyone so sad about. Port Adelaide is one club who have a sensationsal recruiting officer. They make the most of the later selections and dont thro them away on ordinary kids. After the Luke Molan year i have had no confidence in CAC. His job is to recruit and he failed at it that year.

apparently we're looking within our own ranks to develop someone.

apparently we're looking within our own ranks to develop someone.

it sucks if thats true IMO because im sick of the bloody developing phase, i want us to be good and ready to fight within a couple of years..i cant be stuffed to do the luke molan thing all over again

mate you might want to rethink that.. we now have people like Chris Connolly and Mark williams in the footy dept.. ..both very experienced and no slouches at observing talent. They will probably annoint someone ( not neccessarily them ) to the role.. And whoever it is will bring some fresh eyes. Thats OK

This is a chance to actually go about this in a slightly different manner.

Not fazed by this change at all.. :)

mate you might want to rethink that.. we now have people like Chris Connolly and Mark williams in the footy dept.. ..both very experienced and no slouches at observing talent. They will probably annoint someone ( not neccessarily them ) to the role.. And whoever it is will bring some fresh eyes. Thats OK

This is a chance to actually go about this in a slightly different manner.

Not fazed by this change at all.. :)

if that's the case then i would feel very confortable because i have the utmost respect for conolly and williams...however, if we are getting somebody fresh off the ranks like cameron was when we first got him, i would be sceptical, that is all

Does anyone remember the thoughts of the richmond footy club by craig cameron during the ben holland trade? something like "we had an in principal agreement with a club with no principal's". good luck craig...i hope you can change the way you think about them.

or maybe that was moral agreement.........someone will remember :huh:

Mark Williams & Kelly O'Donell seem like a handy base, as development coaches, for contributing to the recruiting process.

I don't think either should be made the List Manager, though, and I don't know the details of who was in our recruiting team under CAC.

It'll be an interesting search, lets see who responds to the ad in the paper!

Meanwhile, on the subject of poaching, I can't help myself - I have to put in another plug for getting Viney back from the Hawks and into our midfield coaching position.

I think after 10 years at MFC, CAC sought new challenges.

He will definitely get them at Tigerland.

If that's the only reason he left, then what can you say? Good luck to him. I guess his leaving could have been under worse circumstances in that light...

which are exactly ?? I dont think the clubs about to fall apart without him..

Nope. Not going to fall apart. It fell apart years ago. What I'm talking about is holding onto someone in this VERY important time where we have the core of a good strong hard midfield. But the job is half done. In my estimation, while we could come crashing back into the 8 next season I don't know that we have the list for sustained success. The next 3 years (2 of which he was contracted for) could prove HUGELY crucial for our recruiting department. It may be in this time that we bottom out again while looking to replace all our tall timber that's on the way out (White, Neitz, Holland, Robbo). CAC, or ANY experienced recruiter will be important. But then that's just my opinion that we're not past the worst...

on the basis of what can you summise that...pure conjecture !! The club took the time and had a process to install the other positions and Im sure it will carry through to a new head of recruiting. But heres a newsflash..CAC, good as he's been wasnt perfect..and he's certainly not the only one in football land.. we'll survive..it'll be ok..lol

Conjecture? Um... No. the club is not financially stable. Fact. We are not in a position to go around hiring LOTS of different people for different roles, and even if it seems we are (we have hired lots of R&D people) the CAC situation has proven that it's only a season by season state of affairs. Just because we've hired all these people now doesn't mean they'll still be there in a year's time, and it doesn't mean we'll be able to afford them. And here's a newsflash for you, I'm not concerned with surviving. I don't want MFC to just SURVIVE. I want us to thrive. Now maybe CAC wasn't the way to do that, but he certainly could have been. In 5 years we'll have half a team of gun young guys hired by him, and half a team of guys hired by someone else. It's a MORE flimsy position to be in that had we kapt CAC.

Im sorry I just dont get your point on any of this.. It of course will be a new start of sorts as simply a new person will imput diferent things. But..and heres the big but... CAC has stamped his influence on the immediate already.. Theres a whole stack of kids yet to kid in anger.. His iinput for the comng drafts is already done and dusted.. .. and so whomever takes the mantle will not have to decide on anyone overnight.

Rubbish. His input on the rookie and PSD drafts yes, but after that? I'm talking immediate in the sense of the next 3 years of youngsters coming through. That is, the kids 15-18 right now. CAC will take his knowledge to the next team, but more importantly his nous in selecting a smoky. What's there to get?

posible...we'll never know.. as you intimate...its moot

The point is not the knowing... WHICHEVER recruiter ends up being responsible for us winning our long awaited flag will be the one we "know" about. Until we actually snaffle one, it'll be crystal-ball gazing. My point is that CAC wasn't in the same boat as Daniher, Ward, Godfrey et. al. General opinion was that these guys were never going to win a flag at MFC. We had not come to that conclusion with CAC. Not yet. So it would have been nice to hold onto him... we were the ones that had our hands on him in the first place...

So..... youre not allowed to accept a better paying position?? Its his job

We don't yet know it has to do with money. We may never. And if it did, I say do whatever it takes to keep him. If we weren't willing to pay top dollar, then the point I make still stands... We couldn't afford him. Simple right? I never said CAC had no right to leave, I'm saying it's sad and unfortunate for us that he does. You're jumping to conclusions.

many forget he has family ties to Richmond.. is it just a smidge possible that he has some hankering to be involved with that club ??

Like anyone really cares about that. It's very romantic that he wants to be a part of the Black and Yellow, but it's not something wer can control.

In the end ..we all need to realise one man does not make a club.

And no-one has said that. You're jumping to conclusions again. ALL I said was that if you have to have a head of recruiting, CAC is a good one. Or at least that in the last 5 years he has developed (as we all do) into a man who is very good at his job.

It can be accorded some success but also some legitimate questions can be raised after all we have no cups in the cupboard of late. Again..this in itself is not just one mans doing .

Some success? Exactly. And WHAT legitimate questions. Look at it plainly. If a guy coaches the team for ten years, and in his most recent year, or maybe his most recent 3-5 years he hasn't looked like he could win us a flag, then it's an appropriate time to let him go. If another man learns the trade over five years, then spends the next 5 recruiting gems with the MAJORITY of his picks, then THAT'S the guy you want to hold onto. CAC's best work has been with these last few recruiting years where he's gotten players other teams would love to have on their lists.

The club is evolving.

And this is where I disagree. Actually, maybe disagree is a strong word. I think we MAY be evolving... Hell we may get lucky and have recruited the next supercoach. The point is we had a disastrous season, and we responded by swinging the axe. I see no reason YET to be overjoyed about our future. So far we've continued to go backwards and I for one won't be convinced we're "evolving" or that we've taken the right path until I see some food on my plate. CAC leaving is not a "good" sign of evolution. Like I said before, if we were evolving we would have gotten rid of the negative problems in the club and kept a hold of the positive ones. CAC was a positive.

I distinctly have the feeling its moving forward CAC was part of it.. now he's not. His legacy will be with us for a few years to come still, by which time anothers influence will be visible and many will be wondering what on earth all the rhetoric was about.

life goes on :)

Fair enough. I'm not trying to be TOO pessimistic, but I'm still waiting for the sign that will make me look at the cup half full, as you do. CAC leaving after ten years is not unreasonable. In all likelihood as you say we may look back on it as something that happened for a good reason. I hope you're right, but I'm not seeing any evidence to convince me just yet.

It's pointless to discuss the merits of a prospective List Manager. There are so many factors that go into the process of building a successful list, many of which are external to the List Manager.

Who determines whether the club is in premiership mode, rebuilding mode, or top-up mode? Also, the board determines what percentage of the salary cap the club can afford. Player development is not part of the List Manager's job specification.

So all those who have been critical of CAC for our current list, keep in mind there are other factors.