• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

trading for a ruckman?

sylvinator

lets face it. we need a number 1 ruckman and we need him badly!

White has 1 season left. Jamar should be delisted. PJ has shown promising signs but will never be a number 1 ruck (agile around the ground and can go in the ruck 5min a quater type).

Ruck is seriously one of our major concerns (along with a Neitz successor) so we must adress it this draft.

2 options:

1) Draft one this year. we could draft McEvoy at pick4 as a future ruck, or a guy like Bellchambers(Tasmaina) at pick 21. I dont think well pick a ruck at pick4, so even if we do pick a ruck at 21, theres no guerentee this guy will turn out a successful future number1 ruckman. its a risk.

2) Trade for one. Unfortunately our trade position would be 1000 times better if we had the PP (pick18) but such is life. In the age today suggests that Jolly, Meesan and Wood are 3 ruckman who could realistically be traded at years end.

Meeson: Adelaide have openly said he will be offered for trade. Adelaide have an abudance of talented ruck in Ben Hudson and Rhett Biglands (coming back from knee reco), as well as very promising developing ruckman in /Jonothan Griffen, Kurt Tippet, Ivan Maric (and Seller sorta tho he is more KPP). Meeson has been left behind in some ways, but he was pick 8 2004 draft and is only 21 years old. with 3 seasons now playing as number 1 ruck for Norwood, he has developed his skills well and even played a few games for adelaide this year. He was a top 10 pick for a reason and definitely has talen to become a number 1 ruck. Adelaide dont need him, MFC do.

i think pick 21 for him would be a very fair swap. we can assume that MFC will pick up a ruckman with this pick anyways. is the ruckman we pick up with this pick (Bellchambers for example) going to be as good as Meeson. I personally think Meesan is better ruck option, plus he has had 3 years of development (ruckman need a few years before they come on) which means he is ready to take on senior rucking responsibilities.

Wood: he is a bloody talented future number 1 ruck. Brisbane will defintely offer him for trade bc they have an awesome ruck devision. Charman, Leunberger (future star) and Beau McDonald (contracted for 2008), Wood is 4th in line. Rising star nominee and at only 20 years old. he is a genuine ruckman with good tapping skills and decent around the ground. just last round hepicked up around 16 possies and looked fantastic.

The only problem is that he will command a big price. will have to give more than just pick 21. maybe Miller and 21? maybe Johnstone and pick 21 to Bris. Wood and pick pick 8 to Melb???

Jolly: shoudlnt touch him. as a premiership ruckman will command too high a price. he is still a decent tap ruckman who get 10 possies a game. is not that good and would have to give up alot for him.

Thoughts? should we trade for ruckman or hope to pick up a ripper in the draft knowing itll take 3 years before they can be number 1 ruck.

I don't know what should happen.

A ruckman is needed. Whites body is deteriating and next year may be his last.

Wood sounds great. And I would love a deal that got us him and pick 8 like suggested. But I am one of the people thinking Johnstone should be maybe the only untouchable for us. A 28 year old Bruce may be better to give than 26 year old Travis.

I do like the idea of Meeson, I do believe he is gettable with pick 21.

Im not a huge fan of Jolly due to his constant whinging about be number 1 ruckman and his asking price. But I wouldn't be upset if in someway he cam back.

Drafting is always good but what if the player doesn't work out. Therefore I think, we should trade for a ruckman.

Cameron wood would be a great pickup but wonder wat the lions would want in exchange.

Meeson dont know much about him other than wat u just said but yeh i agree we do need an up and comer but not only that a ruckman who can come in straight away and contribute.

Jamar i think we can all agree is not that player and Paul Johnson well he is very versitile and can be played back or forward.

We Deffinately need a ruckman and we cannot wait forone to develop, there is no point havng a great midfield if the ruckman cannot tap it to them, thats how you get slaughtered out of the centre. I do like the sound of Wood but as mousey stated, what would Brisbane's price be??

We Deffinately need a ruckman and we cannot wait forone to develop, there is no point havng a great midfield if the ruckman cannot tap it to them, thats how you get slaughtered out of the centre. I do like the sound of Wood but as mousey stated, what would Brisbane's price be??

I really like the idea of a

Bruce or Travis and pick 21

For Brisbanes Pick 8 and Cameron Wood.

If Miller is thrown in maybe they would like to offload sherman also?

I dunno i get the feeling Miller will be resigned at the MFC and Bailey has plans to develop him into that great hardworking leading half forward we all have seen glimpes off.

As we all know we dont have a huge brigade of young forwards as it is.

Wood and Sherman will be available for trade i would think though they just are to down on the depth chart of their positions.

I don't think TJ and pick 21 will be enough. Maybe throw in Miller as well?

TJ/Bruce, pick 21 and Miller & CJ for Freo's pick 7 and Warnock. That sounds even better.

That's effectively TJ/Bruce and CJ for pick 7 (Trav or Bruce alone might not be worth pick 7) and Miller and pick 21 for Warnock.

its a balance of the ledger thing isnt it ?

What do we have. We have a number of midfielders and on ballers, probably a couple too many hff/hbf's if all fit. ( granted..if all fit ) but we have a bit of depth at the so-so level. Other teams may perhaps see a better fit for some than we do.

What do we need ( like yesterday ) A proper Ruck ( in todays climate white is more a ruck follower in the old mould, just not big enough for the centre bounces anymore ) ..and we need a full back. ( sorry I rate Carroll as a backman..just not as full back )

We need a ruck more urgently ( by a smidge ) :)

answer...trade..scheme, kidnap...Im not really all that fussed :)

TJ/Bruce, pick 21 and Miller & CJ for Freo's pick 7 and Warnock. That sounds even better.

That's effectively TJ/Bruce and CJ for pick 7 (Trav or Bruce alone might not be worth pick 7) and Miller and pick 21 for Warnock.

Oh Massively over rating Warnock.

And hugely under rating the trade value of Johno and Bruce.

We could get a top 15 pick for one of them. Easy. Jolly went for pick 14.

You think teams wouldn't part company for one of Bruce or TJ.

Guest The Tiger Of Old

I think we even could get away with less.

Why should we give them a Bruce or a Johnstone?

Warnock is not - & will not - Ever be a number 1 ruckman.

We need to look elsewhere.

Guest The Tiger Of Old
Warnock could be a number 1 ruckman. But he is not worth Bruce and Johnstone.

Key word there is "could" I think - & no, 110% not worth Bruce or Johnstone.

There is a side out there that has an aging No. 1 ruckman, and a couple of capable understudies who have the size but need more time to develop.

Guess who?

Melbourne!!! :huh:

What we need is NOT another ruckman, WE NEED A RUCK COACH, and a senior coach who is prepared to give the understudies some development time, NOT just fill in time.!!!!

Jamar can hold his own in the centre square and PJ likewise around the ground. All they need is MORE ground time to hone their skills and a COACH who knows about ruck work to assist them.

The fact that people in this thread are talking about giving up draft picks and STAR players for ruckmen who MIGHT make it or HAVE NOT made it at two clubs already is LUDICROUS.

I haven't even mentioned Neaves yet. Surely a player who has all but been No. 1 ruckman in the VFL for nearly two years counts for more than one doing the same in the SANFL.

Perhaps it is something about 'the grass being greener on the other side of the fence' that makes people think what we DON'T have MUST be better.

We have the cattle people; it may not be the best going around, but it is more than adequate.

If the next best player in the draft is a ruckman when it is our turn to pick, then we pick him up, otherwise we wait and see if there is anyone worth giving a rookie spot to.

Go Dees - Onward and Upward

Guest The Tiger Of Old
The fact that people in this thread are talking about giving up draft picks and STAR players for ruckmen who MIGHT make it or HAVE NOT made it at two clubs already is LUDICROUS.

You've got my vote. Well written.

Guest The Tiger Of Old
I think people need to see this clearly, bruce will NOT be traded as he signed a 3 year contract.

Even if he wasn't with a 3 year contract he wouldn't be traded.

He is our best player. He was injured this year - Simple as that.

Cameron the Bruce will be back fit next year & anyone who thinks we should trade him are on crack..!

Perhaps it is something about 'the grass being greener on the other side of the fence' that makes people think what we DON'T have MUST be better.

i understand what you're getting at, but unfortunately our ruck problems cannot be solved just by getting a ruck coach.

White is more than adequate, but people posting in this thread are looking past next season after White retires. What are we going to do then.

Jamar: he is absolutely crap. His main attribute is his tapping ability, and even this he regularly gets flogged by mediocre opposition backup ruckman. seeing him get demolished by Chris Bryan was really sad. His around the ground ability is non-existent. u cannot have a number one ruck who cannot get more than 4 possies a game if his life depended on it. pure and simple should be discarded at years end.

P.Johnson: he has shown great promise with his around the ground ability, however his rucking ability is very poor atm and is not a natural ruckman. even in 2-3 years time, i see him becoming a good backup ruckman, playing 5min a quater doing relief ruck work, and spending 15 min a quater in teh forward/back line.

Neaves: has done well developing this season but has by no means set the world on fire. no reason to suggest at this stage he can answer our number 1 ruck problems for 2009.

pure and simple, we need to draft or trade for a number 1 ruck this season so we can be prepared for post-white in 09.

i personally would try to trade for Wood, if not go for Meeson and pick up another one in the draft with a late pick. Otherwise go for the best ruck available pick 21.

If you dont think we need to recruit a quality ruckman this year, then it is you who are mistaken.

We would be stupid to trade Travis Johnstone, even though he struugles to be consistent he is our most damaging midfielder and is by far the most polished..... Bruce too who i have been critical of this year should not be traded........ Brisbane would not give up pick 8 regardless... I think the time has now come where teams will not trade away a top 10 pick......

Potentially trade pick 21 for Wood or Miller for Wood......

Wood may be young but he's not even a consitent senior player for them so why give away such a good pick for basiacally a no name player.....

We would be better taking a gamble on trying to lure McEvoy or Bellchambers to the team........

I dont think we should trade any players in but in stead utilise all our draft picks unless we can acqure better picks by trading players such as; Miller, Jamar, C Johnson, Wheatley or potentially a 1st rounder for Bruce which wouldnt is unlikely....

Oh Massively over rating Warnock.

And hugely under rating the trade value of Johno and Bruce.

We could get a top 15 pick for one of them. Easy. Jolly went for pick 14.

You think teams wouldn't part company for one of Bruce or TJ.

I think you have mis-understood me.

I proposed getting Warnock for Miller and pick 21. (decent deal, as Miller adds no value to our team)

The other proposal was getting Freo's pick 7 for one of Bruce or TJ. If that wasn't enough to get pick 7, CJ would be thrown in as a sweetener.

I would never trade the likes of Bruce or TJ for basically an untried ruckman.

Guest The Tiger Of Old
I proposed getting Warnock for Miller and pick 21. (decent deal, as Miller adds no value to our team)

That's just silly.

I wouldn't give pick 21 for Warnock - Definitely not Miller included also.

Miller adds no value yes but you don't think we could get better than Warnock for the "Mill-Man" & pick 21?

If you don't - the my friends, you are on crack.........

I think you have mis-understood me.

The other proposal was getting Freo's pick 7 for one of Bruce or TJ. If that wasn't enough to get pick 7, CJ would be thrown in as a sweetener.

I would never trade the likes of Bruce or TJ for basically an untried ruckman.

You wrote Trav/Bruce, and pick 21 and Miller or CJ for Pick 7 and Robbie Warnock.

And even if it was TJ OR Bruce, pick 21, Miller OR CJ for pick 7 and Robbie Warnock.

Its still bad.

With 21 we could prob get a ruckman just as good as Warnock. So essentially, we are giving Bruce or Johno and Miller or CJ and Pick 21 for pick 7.

I don't like it.

I could possibly deal with just Bruce for pick 7. But they might not do that, then you throw in a sweetener, but I do think Miller is safe.

You wrote Trav/Bruce, and pick 21 and Miller or CJ for Pick 7 and Robbie Warnock.

And even if it was TJ OR Bruce, pick 21, Miller OR CJ for pick 7 and Robbie Warnock.

Its still bad.

With 21 we could prob get a ruckman just as good as Warnock. So essentially, we are giving Bruce or Johno and Miller or CJ and Pick 21 for pick 7.

I don't like it.

I could possibly deal with just Bruce for pick 7. But they might not do that, then you throw in a sweetener, but I do think Miller is safe.

Did you even read my post? :rolleyes:

Though i agree about pick 21, I think Bellchambers could be good if he works on his flaws.

Did you even read my post? :rolleyes:

Though i agree about pick 21, I think Bellchambers could be good if he works on his flaws.

I know, Bruce won't be traded. I agree 100%.

Was just trying to make disciple understand his deal was horrible.