Newton = mark of the year!

Madness

. His lack of offensive pressure requires Neitz to chase Robbo's player half the time.

Not 1 player is bigger than the team, especially not Robbo.

What game were you at DD????? The worst offender in regarding to chasing his man was Nieta. The Roos FB was one of the main ones giving them drive out of defence ands was in top 10 for possessions in first half & nearly kicked a goal from HFF (Neita at the time was at our CHF). We were in the front row right on the fence.

You should also bear in mind that neither of Neita and Robbo should have been playing as both not fit. Robbo had both right thigh and knee heavliy bandaged after 1st qtr. (His kicking leg BTW)..

As for Michael Newtons Mark it did justice to the former no 29's efforts.

Agree Newton effort was one of onlyvery few highlights (jonesey ws the other) of an otherwise bleak night. Newton's promise serioudly begs the question as to why he wasnt tried earlier in the season sepecially when bot Robbo & Neita wer out injured???

Mentions in particular to Whitey and Miller for not getting to a couple of contests. Players did not look like wanted to be there. Only good thing last nioght was for was to develop the list of those moving on in few weeks!

Guest fatty

Journalists are really starting to take notice of the 29 year old Matthew Newton.

From the Age July 23, 2007 by Mario Xuereb

Roos now second after singeing the Dees

………….Matthew Newton's entry for mark of the year was a rare highlight for the Demons. Playing in his fourth senior game, Newton soared over captain David Neitz to take the spectacular grab early in the second term. He kicked a goal from the mark and finished with two for the match.

The 29-year-old from Whorouly, in north-east Victoria, has impressed since making his debut in round 13……………..

"Newton betrayed naivety once, making a lead for Robertson as he set up for a set shot from 50 metres. He was ignored, of course".

Hmmmmmm others are starting to notice the Robbo selfishness.

Had a chat with Juice up at the Gabba and he said two things I really liked. Firstly, with everyone in attendance pumping up his tires, he claimed his goal was just to keep his spot in the team. Very mature and down to earth I thought and secondly he emphasized the need to keep giving a hard contest. He certainly did that a couple of times against Archer yesterday and that mark almost made my weekend.

Not that we're getting carried away or putting too much pressure on the kid.

His hit on Harvey while chasing was also a highlight - the little weasel stayed down looking for a free kick or sympathy...

we were asking for the vet with the screen and gun to be called out or for a hole to be dug!!

he shows a bit and that is what he has done at sandy - improved from the reserves, to the seniors and now the demon seniors....

massive up side for the young man!!

He looks good, and that was as good a speckie i've seen from anyone in the red and blue. The next two years will be very interesting to watch for hi, because he'll still have to contend with Neitz and Robbo for leads in the forward line. Perhaps they will have to look at moving either him or Robbo outside the 50 at periods to prevent congestion.

BTW anyone saying that Robbo was lazy yesterday, he did get injured quite early on and while it really shat me that he couldn't put the ball through the big sticks when we needed it, i think it's increadibly disrespectfull to bag a player who would bleed for our club, those players don't come around every day.

There's a better version on bigpond site. Best Marks Round 16

edit:

... even better

Without a doubt the best of the year. With only 6 rounds left, he'd be quietly confident.

You know what I hate about this?!!

THE F&%#ing COMMENTARY!!!!!

You can usually rely on those guys to give a good account of themselves...

What kind of thing is it to say "He may never be heard of again."

If they were any kind of commentary team they would have said he's a player of the future...

oh my, are you serious? good account? i honestly believe them to be the biggest bunch of hack commentators in the whole hacky lot of australian commentators.

the way they try and build everything up past the point of BEST MATCH EVER is a joke. so much so that grybas believed the match to be 'the biggest test of the season for the roos' (wow, how could a top 4 team beat a bottom 2 team with half a team). then about 20 minutes later, with the ball entering the forwardline, grybas spruiked 'will they take mark of the year?'

i really wish they'd just settle down and realise bigger picture. not everytime a player takes a mark, are they one of the best marks in the league, not every match is the biggest of the year. i hope they watch a bit of EPL to realise that the best commentary often comes from subtly, and not continuous GOAL OF THE MILLENIUM.

then again, bruce did claim on friday night, when the dogs were 65 points down that a 'goal would be handy,' so i suppose it's not just the foxtel boys.

Guest redandbluethruandthru

now if we can just get robbo to jump onto nieta's back THEN get newton to jump on Robbo's back ( with that vert leap he prob could)

WHAT A FANTASTIC MARK!!!!!!!

Turning into a massive Newton Fan

now if we can just get robbo to jump onto nieta's back THEN get newton to jump on Robbo's back ( with that vert leap he prob could)

WHAT A FANTASTIC MARK!!!!!!!

Turning into a massive Newton Fan

This is the kind of fresh thinking we need in the coaching box next year. I've always been a fan of the Rugby Union style line-out lift. Anything in the rules against it?