Where to from here

drdrake

As we have read from the posters on the sight and the chairman of the MFC our season is "gone and Dusted". We can focus on sacking the coach(which IMO has to happen or we can focus on getting something positive out of the next 10 games.

Is winning the priority?

IMO no if your not going to finish in the top eight you are better of finishing as close to the bottom as possible to enhance you Drafting and trading prospects. We all agree that our best 22 should be competitve but we need a ruckman, strong KPP and a fast midfielder with outstanding skills. I see no shame in finishing bottom two and winning less then 5 games to give us the best chance in securing what we need.

Is Player development the most important or is giving players who are border line to be delisted a chance to get another contract more game time?

Lets face it player development is the only thing to focus on. We have won the VFL premiership the last three season but our depth is not there. To me thats says we have good VFL players on our list but they can't step up to AFL level. They might play one or two good games to get us excited but they alwasy end back at Sandy. I'm talking about Ward, Godfrey, Brown, Wheatley,Ferguson, Holland and Bizz(only this season has joined that list the others have been doing it for a number of years). Godfrey excepted the rest of them are playing for their AFL future, the only reason Godders should not be include because he actually has been good for us this year but his future after next season will be questioned. Should we keep playing these playes how have been in the AFL system for 5-10 years, IMO no they are not good enough. Let them win another flag with Sandy then give them the good bye handshake.

We need to see if CJ will become an AFL player, if Buckley can add that pace to our slow midfield, if the Hype around Newton is just that our can this kid be as good as most of think he can. Play Frawley as a key defender, Petterd as a HBF give them game time don't leave them on the bench for half a game. Can PJ become our No 1 Ruck for next year? These are the question we should be able to answer at the end of the season, but to do that they need to be played and when I say played it means given good ground time not sitting on the pine.

Milestone game

Give the supporters something to really take from this season. No MFC player has ever reached 300 games our Skipper all time leading MFC goal kicker and captain will reach this game this season. Plan it to be on round 22 against Carlton our home game at our ground the MCG, let us celebrate this at a ground we love and it is our home game. Not against Collingwood for their home game our the Bulldogs at Telstra.

Hopefully this will happen and we can walk away form season 2007 disappointed that we didn't make the finals but optimistic about season 2008 ad hapy that we get to see something that has never happened at the MFC before.

Please play the kids if we lose we lose but they will be better for it and give us Neita's 300 at our only home game left at the MCG.

Top priority now is for the board to get their act together off the field and start interviewing potential coaching candidates. I'm certain the process will now go into full swing.

On field, the number one priority is to start looking at our list and weeding out the old and the ordinary. This includes:

-Giving anyone under the age of 23 plenty of game time.

-In the absence of Neita, letting Brock McLean captain again

-Trying new positions for players who haven't found their spot yet (i.e.-CJ)

-Creating a young leadership group (I believe this has been done before), and putting some of the responsibility back on them to see how they stack up

-Resting anyone who is not 110% fit. This is especially true for Rivers, Moloney, Bartram and to a certain extent Neita.

Basically, the rest of this year is all about losing with purpose.

I'm sure we'll win next week and everyone will be back on the bandwagon, singing our praises, but we need to stay focused on the big picture.

We need to look at the players who are coming out of contract. Sign up those who we definitely want to keep and start sniffing around other clubs who might be in a similar position to us (i.e.- St.Kilda, Brisbane).

The only positive from this year, is that we now have an extra 3 months of pre-season.

We can prepare for 2008 calmly and rationally, knowing that we're only playing for pride this year. Oh, and anyone who doesn't go out there on the weekend and shows some pride and urgency in the jumper, gets dropped immidately and can spend the rest of they year winning games at Sandy for all I care.

Well said Jaded, especially the last bit.

The club need to be seen being massively pro active so that we don't lose 8,000 members from this year, we will defiantly lose some.

By playing some of the kids it might entice people to come to the game to check out the kids (Buckley, Newton etc) and in turn if we can put on some good displays get them to re sign for 08.

funny ...be saying that for over a month now.. but apparently to some that was showing the white flag.

This season was done and dusted weeks and weeks ago.. The couple of wins were an abberation.

I wholeheartedly agree.. We need to focus on 2008... we may get a few wins.. or we may not.. it really doesnt matter.

Getting a running start at next year does. If Danners isnt up for that ......he might as well go now and we'll use an assistant as caretaker.

Surely that can't be too hard to find! Can it???

surely not..I'll pop down the 7/11 and pick one up !! :wacko:

IMO, all we need is a FF to replace Neitz, A CHF coz Frosty definitely ain't it, another decent midfielder, A no.1 ruckman, big bodied CHB and a FB (Carol ain't it). So all we need is a spine.

Surely that can't be too hard to find! Can it???

I'll just throw up some names here:

Rivers

Frawley

Dunn

Newton

Bate

Garland

Not saying they'll all make it into the spine, or make it at all actually, but to say we haven't got a spine is not correct.

We haven't had a lot of success recruiting KP players, especially after the Molan/Smith/Rogers/Breese/*insert dud name* disasters.

Over the last few years however, we have recruited a number of big players who have played as key forwards/defenders in their junior years.

I'm interested to see how Garland will develop as a defender at Sandringham.

Dunn may become stronger over head and claim the CHF position, if not, I'm very happy for Bate to stay there. He isn't the most traditional CHF, but that is more to do with his size than his capabilities. I like him there, and I think he will grow into the role. Let's not forget, CHF is the most difficult position on the ground, and it takes years for players to truly dominate games from there. I've seen more than enough to show me that Bate will, at the very least, be a good option there.

If all goes according to plan, Frawley will be our next FB. The kid is already fairly massive, but again, that position takes time. How many dud games did Carroll have before he cemented a spot there? And with all due respect, Frawley is a fair bit more talented.

As for Rivers, he is and will be our CHB for the next 10 years. It is rubbish to say that he's too light, and only plays as a third tall. He is, without a doubt, the most talented defender we've had on our list in years, and I'm certain that he'll continue to develop when he finally gets back on the field.

As for Newton... well... clearly he will be the next Gary Ablett. You just wait and see! :lol:

im not sur eone way or other about garland...for me far to early to call, but I'll give you the other 5 jaded. I have my fingers crossed wrt Frawley. Once he gets the first dozen games out of the way ( I.e hopef ully rest of season ) he ought to settle.

Id like to see Dunn and Newton in tandem as CHF and FF resp.. They play well together in zebby colours :-) A good understanding of where the other is.

Im really not sure where to put Bate, but happy for him to be on the ground.