Coach Voss

Voss doesn't have coaching experience.

But let's give him the experience.

He may take a couple a years to fully settle in, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice, however I wouldn't be surprised if within those two years Melbourne make a genuine shot for a flag.

I'd prefer to see Melbourne try and fail with Voss than not try at all.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Voss the right call? Who the hell really knows, but his appointment would be a very bold move from a club that is not particularly well

known for making them. And sometimes you have to take a chance and roll the dice.

I would not mind Voss, despite that niggly feeling regarding his lack of experience, but I cannot imagine he will be appointed without

there being a thorough investigation into any and all available people who would be capable of doing the job.

I would not mind Voss, despite that niggly feeling regarding his lack of experience, but I cannot imagine he will be appointed without

there being a thorough investigation into any and all available people who would be capable of doing the job.

....And are interested in coaching a Club with no money, restricted budget on player development etc and sub standard training and Club facilities. :rolleyes:

....And are interested in coaching a Club with no money, restricted budget on player development etc and sub standard training and Club facilities. :rolleyes:

Yep, them as well ;) !!!

To be fair, we'll have new facilitles soon, but yes I agree that if anything stops Voss from coaching us, it would be the fact that we're not well set-up.

Still, I hope Melbourne is on the phone to him right now, finding out his plans and getting in early.

They will no doubt interview him, but what happens after that is anyone's guess.

At the very least, I hope he becomes an assistant (he might not get any better offers).

Lets face it, there are no guarantees, we could be facing a few lean years unless we recruit well. What about Chris Connelly as coach or Todd Viney, perhaps we need a Melbourne man as coach, but then again, they may have the MFC mediocraty culture ingrained so perhaps someone from a highly successful club would be good, such as Voss or McKenna. Its a tough one, they have to see who is out there and not make any quick decisions. Some coaches may not be available till the year ends so we have to wait till then

just as another perspective

If Voss was to go to a club with lots and lots of moola... with all the facilities on earth and possibly a different list to ours ( I think I said that safely!! lol )..then might it not be incumbent upon him to really perform from day one ?

A club like Melbourne, on the verge of a renaiscance, a club definitely looking forward, with exciting things happening , but at the same time...no immediate expectations,; then might it not posibly really appeal to an ego to be part and cause of a terrific era being born.

He's going to get decent money where ever he goes...remember ND wasnt on peanuts !!

I dunno... still undecided on the bloke.. but happy if he comes.

how does it go..

if he comes...we will build it ?? ....lol :-))

The most important thing Melbourne can do is make sure the coach we reappoint is a strong and tough leader....

Neale Daniher was not that.

Candidates are;

PETER SUMICH

JOHN LONGMIRE

MICHAEL VOSS

MARK HARVEY

Why would we want to pick up someone like Connolly or Thomas. They are washed up.

food for thought..

a certain hawthorn player retires in 1985

he takes up coaching in 1986

he has a premiership in 1990.

further to this curiousness...a team he coaches now had a captain retire last year...

and is in offing for coaching next year. Both players were part of chamoionship and premiership teams.

Both players had no prior coaching experience !!

I'm really starting to wonder about all this experience as coach ? Is it simply more to do with the character and ability of the person, his thoroughnes, attention to the task at hand ?

I must admit not too many of the other choices get me particularly excited.

I have a funny feeling this will all occur quicker than any suspect...

..... and then all the conspiracy folk can go ballistic :-))

Gary Ayres is mentally weak.,. he wussed it big time.. ran like a kid!!

Love to see Voss do the job and start now! (why not) he has won flaggs he knowns what it takes to win ONE! lets get a coach that has one a flag at A.F.L level, even as a player.

Gary Ayres? I felt he shouldn't have lost his job in Adelaide. Neil Craig has done no better.

I have my doubts over his sanity.

I actually think we need to get someone who has been involved in the game recently.

Either a current assistant coach, or someone like Voss who is recently retired. The game has changed a lot since Ayres was coaching, it changes every year.

We need someone who understands the modern game, and what it takes to compete with clubs like West Coast. Not just on the field, but in terms of off-field structures too.

I'd actually like to get someone who played/coached interstate. Who knows, might bring a bit of interstate luck with him ;)

(Don't get Connolly!!!)

From the article:

Garry Lyon: Doesn't even want to coach. People talk about Voss having no experience, what exactly has Gary done in the form of coaching?

Chris Connolly: Everyone will become very familiar with me saying this... DON'T GO THERE!

Connolly is in the same boat as Daniher. Great person, but soft. His list at Fremantle is superior to ours, and yet they under perform every year and they have horrible discipline issues. Sounds familiar?

Michael Voss: A risk that, if it comes off, will come off in a huge way.

Mark Harvey: Been searching for that head job for a long time, but has been left out to dry. You have to wonder why.

Gary O'Donnell: Not bad. Lots of experience, would like to know more about him.

Chris Bond: Not keen, but maybe as an assistant.

Guy McKenna: Heard conflicting reports about him, and again, he's been knocked back several times and that has to be a worry.

Overall a very uninspiring list.

Voss excites me greatly, everyone else are average or completely horrible.