Kozzy Homesick & Wants to Leave?

18 minutes ago, BDA said:

It's a recurring theme with Kossie so only a matter of time before he leaves.

With Bolton joining, I think Freo won't need him.

I reckon we should try to deal with Eagles next year. Bring Reid back to Victoria as part of the deal. 

Doesn't Reid have to remain at the Eagles for a minimum of 3 years?  I've read that the first 20 picks in the draft have to serve a mandatory 3 years now (change happened May 2024?) 

As for Kozzie, is this going to be a yearly occurrence?  With JT's Midas touch at drafting, getting 2 decent picks for Kozzie may not leave us short and we might in fact, win on that sort of deal

But he is such a talent and has the capabilities to be a top 10 player in the league.  On potential alone, the 2 picks would have to be top 10 picks

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Doesn't Reid have to remain at the Eagles for a minimum of 3 years?  I've read that the first 20 picks in the draft have to serve a mandatory 3 years now (change happened May 2024?) 

As for Kozzie, is this going to be a yearly occurrence?  With JT's Midas touch at drafting, getting 2 decent picks for Kozzie may not leave us short and we might in fact, win on that sort of deal

But he is such a talent and has the capabilities to be a top 10 player in the league.  On potential alone, the 2 picks would have to be top 10 picks

my preference is for kossie to be settled and happy and finish his career with us.

it doesn;t look like that will happen though so maximising the value we get in a trade has to be the priority

perhaps try to keep him  for 2 years and then involve Reid?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BDA said:

my preference is for kossie to be settled and happy and finish his career with us.

it doesn;t look like that will happen though so maximising the value we get in a trade has to be the priority

perhaps try to keep him  for 2 years and then involve Reid?

Sooner or later, it seems a move will happen as the talk of him moving has happened every year has it not? 

He's just turned 23 and is entering his prime years so on potential and from what we've already seen, his trade value would be very high.  As someone else said, he's also box office so I'd want say, picks 8 & 10 (or 6 & 12 or thereabouts)

Reid could be anything and by the time 2027 comes around, he might be one of the best players in the comp

I can imagine the Eagles throwing the big bucks at him to extend sooner rather than later

My concern is the ability of players and player managers to make commercial contracts voidable at their option.

Seems to me that some sort of mystery ‘bias’ has been afforded the player side of the transaction.

l think it’s time the AFL either made it clear that they expect contractional arrangements to be observed.

Maybe another alternative is that if player generated attempted  contact termination really means the eventual landing place rests with the players current home club.

That would even things up a bit.

AFL contracts currently appear to be not worth the paper they are written on.

Not a good look for AFL.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dockett 32 said:

My concern is the ability of players and player managers to make commercial contracts voidable at their option.

Seems to me that some sort of mystery ‘bias’ has been afforded the player side of the transaction.

l think it’s time the AFL either made it clear that they expect contractional arrangements to be observed.

Maybe another alternative is that if player generated attempted  contact termination really means the eventual landing place rests with the players current home club.

That would even things up a bit.

AFL contracts currently appear to be not worth the paper they are written on.

Not a good look for AFL.

It seems that way, Dockett, and the destination club just takes up the contract after satisfying the original club with picks and/or players.  No matter how long the contract is for. 

1, 2 or 5 years, it makes no difference

And of course, there might be a level of thinking that if a player wants out, his original club might just do the best deal possible to clear the books.  Get it done quick and move on, in other words

I'm starting to think that way, whenever a player is looking elsewhere ... just do the deal and hopefully win out on the deal.  It helps that we've got the Guru talent spotter in JT

If it was still Barry, my thinking would be to get experienced talent coming back (best 15 player - automatic selection) And I wouldn't trust Barry with any picks either!!! (Swap them for best 15 talent) 

Of course in sports like soccer, a transfer fee is involved so a club in that sport can often set a price and there are often any number of suitors

In other big sports in the USA, a club can often move a player to another club where the player has no choice but to just pack his bags and go

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Player can still be traded in contract if all parties agree.

The intent was to stop players coming out of contract so quickly that clubs would have no leverage if their high draft pick from interstate doesn't settle. If Harley really wanted to go next year at least the Eagles have him under contract to either hold or sell high.

The rule change wouldn't have changed the JHF situation at North, he had a year left on his contract, North decided to take the best deal possible and move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

So one family member? 

Well that solves that problem then..

So What happens when sister isn't available for support when needed due to work duties etc.. not taking into account they have no aunties, uncles, grandparents to provide extra support when needed for Koz and Ardo who need all the support needed for the first 12 months and beyond when you become a new parent especially at the age of 22.

Just take that into consideration.

I thought most of his family live a few hours away from Adelaide and Perth? 

1 hour ago, BDA said:

I reckon we should try to deal with Eagles next year. Bring Reid back to Victoria as part of the deal. 

This is the play. Go hard for Harley Reid when he comes out of contract. Show Reid we can get the deal done. Do not trade Kozzy for anything less, and definitely not this year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

Player can still be traded in contract if all parties agree.

The intent was to stop players coming out of contract so quickly that clubs would have no leverage if their high draft pick from interstate doesn't settle. If Harley really wanted to go next year at least the Eagles have him under contract to either hold or sell high.

The rule change wouldn't have changed the JHF situation at North, he had a year left on his contract, North decided to take the best deal possible and move on.

I see, so a draftee can still be traded, like any other player under contract

Thanks for that

With a player like Reid, I can see the Eagles paying him big money on an extension just to secure him when a future trade is offered

But Dockett's point about length of contract is quite valid.  It's not the length of contract anymore although 1 year only on a contract leaves a club a bit more vulnerable

A 5 year contract is not a deterrent if a player wants out.  As we've seen with Petracca

Of course, a club can hold a player to a contract but if a player remains and is unhappy, will we see their best? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BW511 said:

Second time you’ve said something similar, one family member is more than nothing but depending on her own life and commitments, it may amount to very little help/support

well when people imply he has no local family support I'll keep correcting them

not saying 1 family member is always adequate but it's a huge difference to none and sisters are prettyclose

additionally i'm sure other teammates families can assist from time to time. we also have club welfare officers

so it is not necessarily as bleak as some would say

• Clap 1

2 hours ago, BDA said:

Why would he even think about going to the Eagles?

Just now, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Why would he even think about going to the Eagles?

He wants to go to WA. Freo his preference but they will trade in Bolton this year so it looks like it will have to be Eagles for him.

3 minutes ago, BDA said:

He wants to go to WA. Freo his preference but they will trade in Bolton this year so it looks like it will have to be Eagles for him.

There is a chance Melbourne talk him around to stay at least one more year. They managed to convince Harrison Petty.

Eagles are 5 years away from being anything near the top 8, he wants Freo because they are closer to success.

If he just wants the cash then Eagles would appeal to him could get a 5-7 year deal at 900k a year, if he played it right.

Would be going to the Eagles for all the wrong reasons though.

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges

2 minutes ago, Flowergirl said:

There is a chance Melbourne talk him around to stay at least one more year. They managed to convince Harrison Petty.

He has 3 years left and isn't pushing for the move. Unlikely to leave this year but i doubt he'll sign another contract with us. I hope i'm wrong and would love if he was a one club player with us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

how long ago did he just sign a very lucrative long contract????

rhetorical question

The contract amount that another club has to trump up for?  

Pardon my cynicism

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BDA said:

he's been talking to Freo. chook in Perth confirmed it.

still hearsay (no criticism of chook intended)

but let's assume he has talked to freo, he has friends there, they suggest a chat, what's the harm

when i worked there were a number of times i had chats with other companies, at their behest, offering me a job. i wasn't looking for another job at the time but a combination of being curious and the fact they were well known to me , i went ahead with the chats.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he doesn't have any interest because i just don't know but i'm still hopeful he's not and until i hear something a bit more authentic, i'll cool my jets

• Like 1

i.e. 

Club: We're pleased to offer you a $3Million 4 year deal

Player: Where do I sign? 

A week later ... 

Player: I want to be traded to Freo

Club:  Wtf! You just signed a 4 year deal

Player: I know that but Freo are happy to take up the contract

Club: %&$=@#&%$&#@%!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

still hearsay (no criticism of chook intended)

but let's assume he has talked to freo, he has friends there, they suggest a chat, what's the harm

when i worked there were a number of times i had chats with other companies, at their behest, offering me a job. i wasn't looking for another job at the time but a combination of being curious and the fact they were well known to me , i went ahead with the chats.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he doesn't have any interest because i just don't know but i'm still hopeful he's not and until i hear something a bit more authentic, i'll cool my jets

Go for Harley. Kozzie is clearly gone at some point and West Coast are all over the shop - no way Harley says no to coming home at some stage.  Boom, we have our Trac replacement and about a million draft picks.

The family thing is real. Frequent interstate trips to see them aren’t helpful - they’re actually a giant pain and doesn’t help with the day to day support young parents can need.