What was your excuse?

I just wanted more than 20k, that's all. Not all non footy goers are created equal. Some as we've seen in this thread had valid reasons, you reckon the people who piked last night for no good reason would be posting their reasons here?

People can do what they wish. However this team gave us the ultimate triumph a few years back, it would kind of be nice to repay the faith with a little more than a sub-par crowd on a prime time game for the country to see. One of the no.1 things I see on this site is how people desperately wanted to be there in 2021 and won't rest until we win it on the G. So it's all take and no give at is it? Is that how this works? Does the team not deserve our support or are we just entitled to support from afar on Kayo and stuff them. What's the point in having fans? Because trust me if the message here is that crowds are stupid and pointless then I've got plenty of better things to do on a Saturday night.

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, von said:

I’m glad I hit the mark. I’m not serious. I just find the question annoying so I played into stereotypes. There’s many ways to support the club, not going doesn’t make you less. I go all the time, like a lot of the rabble on here. 

Yeah was doubtful about the seriousness, but one can never be sure. Glad to know it was a p!$$-take.

7 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

It is possible we just hate games against GWS, and also games at Docklands, and games in the final round of yet another miserable season after seven previous miserable seasons.

Because, after all, that was the only game that season where we dropped below 22k in Victoria.

One might even note that in 2014, one of the most miserable year for any given club this century and following on from the undisputed most depressing season since Fitrzoy folded, we managed 17k against the Giants late in the season. So the entire difference between Melbourne's 250,000 estimated supporters in the depths of the worst slump in the modern era, and Richmond with 500,000 supporters in their very first non-competitive season in 13 years... is two thousand.

In fact, if you looked back over the figures you'd find, comprehensively, that our crowd attendances are the least affected by performance of any club.

Each of us can have a whole lot of reasons to not show up for a particular game, but 'soft' has never, ever been one of them.

We've got to send that McGuire-led myth to its grave.

I know a heap of Collingwood and Carlton supporters and most of them would be lucky to go to 2 games a year. They get to gloat about what big clubs they are and their big crowds and give [censored] to me about Melbourne crowds/supporters despite hardly ever going to games while I've been going week in/week out for about 35 years! Ok a bit less frequently in recent years due to a young family and the commitments that come with that but overall I've actually supported the Demons a thousand times over compared to them with their clubs.

It's tough being a Melbourne supporter because you feel this personal obligation to go every single week and feel as though you've let the club, players and other supporters down if you dont go despite probably being some of the most rusted on supporters in the comp. Supporting a club shouldn't feel like a chore or obligation, it should be fun but sometimes I feel like I have to drag myself along to games to make sure the club isn't embarrassed by a poor turnout. We have a smaller supporter base, that won't change overnight. Sometimes you will get a confluence of factors lining up which sees a poor crowd like last night but I think part of it also comes down to our supporter demographics.

I'm surprised the club weren't spruiking for supporters to get out and attend this game, they must have known there was a risk of a really poor crowd. Sometimes supporters need that extra motivation to get off the couch, especially in the middle of winter against a franchise who is not a traditional rival. I know my family have been less inclined to go this year despite my cajoling, my parents are getting older and hate the night games, my brother still plays so Saturday's are usually a wipeout, my kids are young and play junior footy early Sunday, and amongst all of us most have had this 3-4 week virus that seems to have been niggling half of Melbourne this winter. None of them could be convinced to go last night (especially after the rain hit in the early arvo) but they were umming and aahing about it so a bit of a push from the clubs media team might have been enough to get them to come along. Anyway I can imagine if my family was like that there were plenty of others in the same boat.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Last lived in Melbourne back in 2018 and went to a fair few games. That year was by far one of the more enjoyable years of attending live footy. I remember attending the last game against the giants at the MCG and you could feel the excitement and buzz around the area because we'd pretty much just consolidated our spot in the finals for the first time in 12 years and the pubs after the game was buzzing with Melbourne supporters!

The finals experience that year was absolutely next level. Even the 2022 and 2023 finals series just didn't have that type of atmosphere that we had back in 2018.

Just out of interest what do you put the difference down to between the 2018 finals experience vs 2022/23?

I (mostly) live overseas too (and missed 2018), but was here for the 2022/23 finals. Sadly I've not seen the Dees win a final live since 2006 :(.  

FWIW I went last night (actually arrived in from overseas Saturday morning and convinced 5 others to come!).  Reminded me of the bad old days a bit.

It's been a tough grind being a Dee since round 11 2022, with some unsavoury off field stuff, a grinding playing style and some really flat performances this year.  Maybe it's taken it's toll on everyone involved with the club.  But it's better than the days when we couldn't compete

Edited by BillyBeane
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, wobbie said:

I don't think that's the right way to look at it. We have a very small supporter base, but those core 20,000 people who turn up regularly are very rusted-on and not fair-weather at all. The big teams like Collingwood have legions of fair-weather supporters, because they catch all the people who want to support the "popular" team and go along with the crowd, only caring when they're hot. 

The problem is we put ourselves at risk of being shunted off to Docklands for games - 20k looks horrible in a 100k stadium, especially when most of those 20k sit on the broadcast side. Carlton and Essendon want more games at the G, so who is going to play at Docklands to make up for it? Supporters complain about selling a game to the NT but last night is the perfect example for why the club would sell 2 games if they could.

We almost merged in the 80s/90s and almost did ourselves in in the 00s/10s. We came out of it and won a flag but the supporters still flake it and then complain when we get treated like the poor relation of the AFL. Well you reap what you sow.

I am sympathetic to those who have genuine health, financial, family,travel etc etc reasons for not going and I'm not judging anyone individually, as a supporter group though I feel like we could do better.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

This week was the first time I was able to get to a game this year: living out of town and with family commitments - I actually did the sums and on Saturday traveled 750km to do children's sport and get to the game. It was Bl**dy cold - and only thanks to sprints at Flinders Street and then Southern Cross I got home at 12.30am rather than 2am.

I felt those who were able to get there made a good noise - well done on the cheer squad (I was a couple of bays to the left).

Why don't I attend more regularly?

the AFL seems to tolerate really poor fan behavior - I can't see myself (and children) attending a game against a "big club" for some time.

The AFL (this is a theme) are making a TV product*.

The inconsistencies with the way the AFL enact the rules of the game* and the tribunal processes make it hard for a fan like me to get excited about something beyond the MFC.

*one of my reasons for making the effort to attend was to get an understaing of what happens off the ball - Clayton being wrapped up and literally calling out to the umpire to pay attention was something the host broadcaster is happy to overlook.

Also - it was so cold!

I have some sympathy for fans who attended but wanted more to be there (for me - I don't like people, so loved having a few rows to myself) but footy pundits who are paid to attend are not good for the game.

• Like 7
  • Clap 3

18 hours ago, rpfc said:

16k.

Sam McClure is going to bring it up and he is right to.

We don’t want to watch our own team.

Probably should reflect on why that is.

The poor outing against Freo may be one of the reasons why a lot of people decided not to endure the awful weather.

6 hours ago, BillyBeane said:

Just out of interest what do you put the difference down to between the 2018 finals experience vs 2022/23?

I (mostly) live overseas too (and missed 2018), but was here for the 2022/23 finals. Sadly I've not seen the Dees win a final live since 2006 :(.  

FWIW I went last night (actually arrived in from overseas Saturday morning and convinced 5 others to come!).  Reminded me of the bad old days a bit.

It's been a tough grind being a Dee since round 11 2022, with some unsavoury off field stuff, a grinding playing style and some really flat performances this year.  Maybe it's taken it's toll on everyone involved with the club.  But it's better than the days when we couldn't compete

2018 was what cemented my love for the MFC.

I will always remember the experience attending that EF against Geelong... 

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kev martin said:

I think there are many who go "all in", till they move on to something else. It is all about entertaining our moments. The keyboard warriors love those moments, and the attention they get. Doesn't mean they stay doing the same thing. Many move on, experiences in this world are vast and varied, as we find other entertaining/passionate ways. It's a big wide world, don't get stuck in the safety of home and in the same job for the 50 years. Take a risk, as certainty and stability is overrated and unattainable. 

The fair weatherers come back when we win (not a good trait). Most just come and go as their life moves forward.

Because they move on, doesn't mean they are not, haven't been or won't be again, passionate about the MFC.

Wise words, love it.

”…experiences in this world are vast and varied…”

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The problem is we put ourselves at risk of being shunted off to Docklands for games - 20k looks horrible in a 100k stadium, especially when most of those 20k sit on the broadcast side. Carlton and Essendon want more games at the G, so who is going to play at Docklands to make up for it? Supporters complain about selling a game to the NT but last night is the perfect example for why the club would sell 2 games if they could.

We almost merged in the 80s/90s and almost did ourselves in in the 00s/10s. We came out of it and won a flag but the supporters still flake it and then complain when we get treated like the poor relation of the AFL. Well you reap what you sow.

I am sympathetic to those who have genuine health, financial, family,travel etc etc reasons for not going and I'm not judging anyone individually, as a supporter group though I feel like we could do better.

Some excellent points made in this thread.  It actually grinds my gears a bit when people make the judgement call about "proper fans" being the ones to get to games.  Not everyone has that luxury, we should remember that.

I 100% agree that 16k on a Saturday night is a poor scene.  The AFL needs to take some of the blame - Melb v GWS is never going to draw a crowd drawing over 40k outside the finals in July.

That being said, I dare say there were more people watching this game at home so the good people at Ch7 may have been happier (isn't that what this is all about?). Then again, maybe the Olympics took a few eyeballs away.

I've said this before, but I would love for us to pack up our stuff from Casey and do a deal with Port Melbourne.  This game would have had a real 'retro round' feel at North Port Oval.

Regardless, I really don't want us to be a club that really gets on board the "only real fans turn up" mojo.

On 27/07/2024 at 22:38, Doug Reemer said:

16k at a Saturday Prime Time Home game.

I was there. If you weren’t whats your excuse? Want other clubs to respect us and stop saying we don’t turn up? Get off your [censored] and stick fat!

Sorry Doug, didn't leave home at 6pm Friday night.

image.png.5af3f0aba722745f0799cf5993f9ffef.png

Or should I stop buying memberships and make the figures look even worse?

Grow up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/07/2024 at 22:38, Doug Reemer said:

16k at a Saturday Prime Time Home game.

I was there. If you weren’t whats your excuse? Want other clubs to respect us and stop saying we don’t turn up? Get off your [censored] and stick fat!

Give me control of the AFL sheduling and my work rostering and I would be a cert to be there.

All these effing night games suck for country people.

1.10 sunday Perfect!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, defuture15 said:

Give me control of the AFL sheduling and my work rostering and I would be a cert to be there.

All these effing night games suck for country people.

1.10 sunday Perfect!

As evidenced by the fact we had 32k v WCE 3 weeks ago.

Was there by myself in the MCC, if anyone ever wants to tag and along and buy me some drinks I won't complain. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

As evidenced by the fact we had 32k v WCE 3 weeks ago.

But you must remember that kids could go for free. That must have boosted those numbers.

6 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

But you must remember that kids could go for free. That must have boosted those numbers.

Maybe slightly, I doubt the numbers were boosted by 16k though

On 27/07/2024 at 22:55, Ethan Tremblay said:

Look after yourself mate. Feel free to flick me a message anytime for a chat. 

(I didn’t go because I had severe diarrhoea)

ohoo

Started wearing a dees jumper since i was 2 saw great success during 1950s and early 60s then spent decades standing in pouring rain etc watching thrashing after thrashing.When at the G we owned bay 19,joined Redlegs in the 70s now in my 70s still pay membership would kill to go a game but my health cant handle it getting a walker in and around is not easy.So careful what you post there are a lot loyal supporters who cant be seen,enjoy youth and health it doesnt last forever

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Just delaying some work on this fine Monday and thought i'd look at some historical figures for home games vs GWS

2024 - Round 21- 16,246
2022 - Round 5 - 20,791 (long weekend)
2021 - Round 16 -  16,963 
2019 -  Round 10 - 20,023
2018 - Round 23 - 37,285
2016 - Round 1 - 28,505
2014 - Round 21 - 17,227
2013 - Round 4 - 20,018
2012 - Round 13 - 20,070

So Round 1 of 2016 (optimism) and Round 23 of 2018 (oh - are we finally good?) definitely boost the average.

Also for reference @ Marvel/Etihad
2015 - Round 23 - 8,974

• Like 1

My biggest beef about footy today is not the cost of attending. Even without memberships, footy offers really good entertainment for your hard earned $.

It's the other costs that really get me angry. Footy parking. Let's face it the trains are a shambles. While nowhere near the evil costs of airport par ki ing it's still steep for a couple of hours on a muddy patch of dirt. So if your lucky enough that the trains are running go for it.

But it's the food and beverage costs that are shocking. And nobody really wants to bring in their own sandwiches and so forth.

Or perhaps they do as the home quality is much better.

But if you don't have the time or inclination, the costs and offerings at the footy are atrocious.

A party of five excluding the entry price, can rack up 200 dollars in this avenue alone and that's being quite frugal in holding back the drinks.

Everything combined and 500 dollars can disappear out of your account.

With interest rates and house prices and inflation, I think it's not unreasonable to think crowds will suffer.

But interestingly, they haven't. 

I guess in tough times people need some sport escapism more than ever.

Perhaps more people are watching on tv?

In any event the costs of drinks and snacks at venues is just wrong.

Four beers wil take forty dollars off you and given for cans of full strength beer is around 15$ at Cole's or 10 dollars at Aldi, it's just wrong.

I know this isn't the Afls doing but it still works me.

And yes I'm cheap but I would like to leave a nice financial legacy for my two kids given the cost of housing today.

It all adds up

38 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

My biggest beef about footy today is not the cost of attending. Even without memberships, footy offers really good entertainment for your hard earned $.

It's the other costs that really get me angry. Footy parking. Let's face it the trains are a shambles. While nowhere near the evil costs of airport par ki ing it's still steep for a couple of hours on a muddy patch of dirt. So if your lucky enough that the trains are running go for it.

But it's the food and beverage costs that are shocking. And nobody really wants to bring in their own sandwiches and so forth.

Or perhaps they do as the home quality is much better.

But if you don't have the time or inclination, the costs and offerings at the footy are atrocious.

A party of five excluding the entry price, can rack up 200 dollars in this avenue alone and that's being quite frugal in holding back the drinks.

Everything combined and 500 dollars can disappear out of your account.

With interest rates and house prices and inflation, I think it's not unreasonable to think crowds will suffer.

But interestingly, they haven't. 

I guess in tough times people need some sport escapism more than ever.

Perhaps more people are watching on tv?

In any event the costs of drinks and snacks at venues is just wrong.

Four beers wil take forty dollars off you and given for cans of full strength beer is around 15$ at Cole's or 10 dollars at Aldi, it's just wrong.

I know this isn't the Afls doing but it still works me.

And yes I'm cheap but I would like to leave a nice financial legacy for my two kids given the cost of housing today.

It all adds up

Drinks prices, alcoholic only, are steep due to the cost of alcohol licences. Plus restaurants have a practice of 300% margin on drinks, I'd guess 75% of their profits come from drinks alone.

7 hours ago, DutchDemons said:

I live in a different continent.

A flimsy excuse if ever I saw one.

😝