POSTGAME: Rd 20 vs GWS

1 hour ago, gs77 said:

He looked super sore after landing hard on his back last night. Reached around to where he was kneed earlier in the season too, briefly.

Also what about that two handed push in the back as he went to mark, cheats didn’t get penalised and got a goal out of it. He looked pretty sore after that but he has great spirit and was still kicking his 50m clearances.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yes it's all Goodwin's fault, you keep banging your head against that wall maybe someday it'll crumble before your genius. Let me guess, next it'll be Pert and Roffey's fault because they didnt front the media next to Goodwin in the press conference 🙄

Why are you arguing with this [censored], he actually has no idea 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

Spot on.

And id add that Max was clearly injured (which I assume is why disco was sub) and we didn't have Salem and the kolt, who has provided some real energy in the last few weeks.

And I'm not sure about others, but I don't think I'm alone in saying after their fourth quick goal at the start of the fourth I was worried we were going to get blown out.

Others at the ground must have thought similarly as plenty left.

So I was both surprised and proud how we fought back, particularly given how young we were.

Agree Binman it looked pretty dire my daughter said god we could lose by 10 goals. I was hoping like hell we would regain some momentum and stop their run which we eventually did. Their mids were better all night and although Max had been pretty good they totally bamboozled us in the first 15 minutes of the last quarter. We looked totally inept. What is your handle on that 15-20 minutes Binman?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pirlo said:

We were saying similar last night. A better club would have drilled him and them on what to do in that situation. We're more of the "get around him and forget about it" types.

You're kidding right? If that were the only attitude, and we weren't constructive with our feedback, we wouldn't see consistently brilliant development of our younger players...

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, godees said:

Agree with most of your points there but wanted to point out that GWS weren’t that depleted. From their best team they were missing Coniglio, Kelly and maybe Cumming. We were missing Petracca, Salem and maybe Kolt, while Gawn was hampered. It was a good effort by the team and we only needed a little bit of luck to get that win.

I'd argue that cogs and in particular Kelly are huge outs. Certainly agree we were far from our optimal team, but they still had very good players not playing. Briggs was also clearly very hampered too.

Certainly we could've won the game at the end with more luck. With less luck though we could've lost by a lot more! They left one one on the park with an all-time blooper.  I think we did very well with the team we had but I still believe the better team on the night won.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Agree Binman it looked pretty dire my daughter said god we could lose by 10 goals. I was hoping like hell we would regain some momentum and stop their run which we eventually did. Their mids were better all night and although Max had been pretty good they totally bamboozled us in the first 15 minutes of the last quarter. We looked totally inept. What is your handle on that 15-20 minutes Binman?

My take is we went into the game with focus on contest, pressure and territory.

And it worked a treat in the first quarter.

The game got away from us when the giants got the ball to the outside - which every team is trying to do to us to exploit our lack of run and sub optimal conditioning.

But the giants started paddling a bit too in the last quarter and couldn't spread as well. And the game came back to being more on our terms - territory and pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Huh?

Their pressure was 200 in that last quarter.

They 100% did not take their foot of the pedal

Doesn't fit the Eeyore narrative

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sparrow will never be an elite mid but he can be a very good 2nd string mid. He's had to step up this year with our midfield problems and has struggled. As a 4th or 5th mid I think he'll still be fine.

His centre bounce numbers to posession ratio says otherwise. I hope he gets it togethef again

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Don't vent your frustration please. You'll hurt their feelings.

Really sucks that you’re not one of them huh. ☹️
Never mind, maybe in a future life you’ll be one of them and let’s see how you deal with having your feelings hurt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Goodwin directly cost us the Carlton final last year due to his mismanagement of team selection, specifically not utilising a sub at his disposal on a warm night when we had no injuries.

Uhm no, that’d be the Tracc goal that was wrongly called a behind touched by Caleb Marchbank. That’s what directly cost us the Carlton final last year. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I’m worried for 2025 and beyond. 

I’m excited for 2025 and beyond. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Me to we get the opportunity to bring in new players, another pre season into our kids and we hopefully get to start a new season with Tracc, Clayton, Max, Jack, Jake, Steve, Petts, Ed and maybe TMac and Milshake refreshed and ready to take some big scalps. What’s not to be excited about.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I think 2024 is done (save for something pretty amazing - which I am open to, and we are certainly capable of). 

BUT 2025 is alive. It should not be understated how big of a loss Gus was at the start of the year, then losing Trac and a not-quite-fit (yet) Clarry has been. You don't just replace those guys, all in one hit. 

We have a small shopping list of people to upgrade next year. I like our interest in Houston/Cumming. Waterman maybe, and definitely need a new ruck project (someone playing already) to help Max if we're not going to play Fullarton. 

With Trac back, Clarry fit and firing, a couple of upgrades, the kids bulking up a bit - and a system to look after Max as his body can't hold up as it has been in younger years - PLUS a more consistent and reliable gameplay (we can't be getting blown out by 90+ or 10 goals anymore - as the percentage will cost us (likely will this year), we will 100% be contending again next year. Going forward we will need to look to replace Max, May and Viney - but for next year and maybe one more, we have them and can contend. 

I believe we will. But we have to recruit like hell, and convince talent that we are going to contend. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

I think 2024 is done (save for something pretty amazing - which I am open to, and we are certainly capable of). 

BUT 2025 is alive. It should not be understated how big of a loss Gus was at the start of the year, then losing Trac and a not-quite-fit (yet) Clarry has been. You don't just replace those guys, all in one hit. 

We have a small shopping list of people to upgrade next year. I like our interest in Houston/Cumming. Waterman maybe, and definitely need a new ruck project (someone playing already) to help Max if we're not going to play Fullarton. 

With Trac back, Clarry fit and firing, a couple of upgrades, the kids bulking up a bit - and a system to look after Max as his body can't hold up as it has been in younger years - PLUS a more consistent and reliable gameplay (we can't be getting blown out by 90+ or 10 goals anymore - as the percentage will cost us (likely will this year), we will 100% be contending again next year. Going forward we will need to look to replace Max, May and Viney - but for next year and maybe one more, we have them and can contend. 

I believe we will. But we have to recruit like hell, and convince talent that we are going to contend. 

Perhaps. I dont see it that way. Goody tried to make adjustments to the gameplan to improve our turnover scoring issue. I think its safe to say it didn't work and we reverted back to our forward half pressure game, which also was inconsistent. Consequently we lost our ability to defend ball movement and have had the worst defensive record in the last 5 years. 

We are a bit lost from a DNA / gameplan perspective. These things need time / pre-seasons to sort out and hence why im a bit concerned for '25.  Is it impossible, no its not - but it needs a lot of investment from the team and potentially some trades. The other aspect is our list management strategy, do we load up and trade again (ala Geelong and Sydney style) or do we take a slightly more conservative approach and plan for longer term success.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Perhaps. I dont see it that way. Goody tried to make adjustments to the gameplan to improve our turnover scoring issue. I think its safe to say it didn't work and we reverted back to our forward half pressure game, which also was inconsistent. Consequently we lost our ability to defend ball movement and have had the worst defensive record in the last 5 years. 

We are a bit lost from a DNA / gameplan perspective. These things need time / pre-seasons to sort out and hence why im a bit concerned for '25.  Is it impossible, no its not - but it needs a lot of investment from the team and potentially some trades. The other aspect is our list management strategy, do we load up and trade again (ala Geelong and Sydney style) or do we take a slightly more conservative approach and plan for longer term success.

Completely agree about being lost. It's the most confused I have seen us for a while. And I understand this has been largely driven by unexpected and significant shifts to personnel. 

I'd say we go the Geelong/Sydney approach, as I think we have too much invested in guys like Clarry and Trac to not try and add a premiership in the next year or two. It'll definitely take buy-in from the group, some luck with injuries/fixture and a more consistent gameplan, but I believe we can get there. I'll admit some of that belief is coloured by hope, such is the life of supporting this club, but a lot of it is based on the fact that the higher-ups will know we have not reached the expected return of this group, so they will do their best to make that happen - and belief that the team core is very good, we just have to make some good decisions from here.

• Like 1

Coaches votes came out today and one of the coaches couldn't even give an MFC player 1 vote despite losing by just 2 points. The other coach gave Oliver 1 vote.

And I kind of agree. You couldn't confidently say that an MFC player was in the best 5 players on the ground.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2024 at 10:29, Oxdee said:

We are a bottom 4 side if Laurie is getting a game. 

45 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

Seems that the selectors share my opinion 

I don’t know what’s sadder…

Believing the selectors share such a ridiculous notion and that’s why Laurie was omitted,

or

Quoting yourself to boast about it. Moreover, dragging the postgame thread back to the first page to do so

🤷‍♀️

🤔 I should start a poll

• Like 1

On 29/07/2024 at 17:11, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Coaches votes came out today and one of the coaches couldn't even give an MFC player 1 vote despite losing by just 2 points. The other coach gave Oliver 1 vote.

And I kind of agree. You couldn't confidently say that an MFC player was in the best 5 players on the ground.

It has me puzzled as well.

Oliver and Lever were our best.

Oliver gets votes for me.

But in a game we almost won( or just lost), it was hard to find votes for our players.

• Like 1