2024 Phantom Drafts

29 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Answers

- Very good

- Jesse Hogan

Thanks, however I don’t agree with Hogan. I don’t think he’s ever been able / confident over 40 metres. I’d love a fwd like Tex or Franklin than can regularly slot them from outside 50. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Thanks, however I don’t agree with Hogan. I don’t think he’s ever been able / confident over 40 metres. I’d love a fwd like Tex or Franklin than can regularly slot them from outside 50. 

It's a big call but I too would like us to have the best key forward of the last 25 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Clap 3

7 minutes ago, Axis of Bob said:

It's a big call but I too would like us to have the best key forward of the last 25 years.

Ok we’re getting off track here.

I would like a fwd that can mark on the edge of 50, turn, take one step and load up. Walker and Franklin have done that repeatedly, Hogan cant. 
As for Franklin being the best fwd of the last 25 years, on goals kicked yes he is but I’d personally take Jono Brown in his prime.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

It really gets me that some teams continually get lucky with academy guns and father/son picks

Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Ashcroft x2, Darcy, JUH, Daicos x2, Mac Andrews

The one chance we had to catch up was Mac and we get screwed again.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DubDee said:

It really gets me that some teams continually get lucky with academy guns and father/son picks

I think we did alright with Viney

• Like 1

On 19/09/2024 at 21:00, Young Blood said:

Fair enough.

Physically I see O'Sullivan with elite agility. He has the Kozzy like bounce/footwork and quick lateral movement and burst to get himself free. Long legs with long strides with a booming kick, covers a lot of ground. Makes good decisions and doesn't waste many possessions. 

He's more of an outside mid/wing at this stage but I think he could develop his inside game over time. Which is why he'd be perfect for us fit-wise at the moment.

I will agree with you that he has had an up and down year being in and out with injuries without a clear run. I watched him play a few games including VFL for Richmond where he really held his own and showed some of the pure talent.

This kid oozes talent and has the highest upside in the whole draft. I would be thrilled if he dropped to us. He's like a Josh Kelly with more speed and agility. 

He's listed at 182cm but I reckon that's an old measurement. I'd say he's closer to 184-185cm now.

I agree with that. Except with his overhead marking and pace I’d start him half forward rather than wing. Kicking hasn’t looked right this year but there’s no doubt he can roost it. He reminds me of Rozee.

He was the best player at under 16’s, the best last year and has just had a shocking year with a run of injuries. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Adam The God said:

What can Reid do that Smith can't? 

Reid’s a better goal kicker (does spend more time forward) but the biggest point of difference is his hands are on an entirely different level. Some of, if not the quickest and most creative hands you’ll ever see.

There’s plenty of concerns - is he physical, is he athletic enough, can he add distance and flatten his kicking - although they are similar (if lesser) concerns for me with Jagga.

But his hands might be the standout trait of any player in the draft. If you think there’s enough scope to develop the rest of his game you got to take him very early. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Reid’s a better goal kicker (does spend more time forward) but the biggest point of difference is his hands are on an entirely different level. Some of, if not the quickest and most creative hands you’ll ever see.

There’s plenty of concerns - is he physical, is he athletic enough, can he add distance and flatten his kicking - although they are similar (if lesser) concerns for me with Jagga.

But his hands might be the standout trait of any player in the draft. If you think there’s enough scope to develop the rest of his game you got to take him very early. 

Reid could be a handy player, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near the top 5.

I don't see it, but each to their own.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DubDee said:

Swans. Heeney. Mills. Gulden. Blakey. Campbell. (Cleary) 

Lions.  Ashcroft x2, Fletcher, Coleman , Andrews 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam The God said:

Reid could be a handy player, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near the top 5.

I don't see it, but each to their own.

I think he’s super difficult to rate, I’m not even sure where I’d have him.

But you see the fast hands right? He has the ball and then it’s out right away and often straight to a player in space.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think he’s super difficult to rate, I’m not even sure where I’d have him.

But you see the fast hands right? He has the ball and then it’s out right away and often straight to a player in space.

I see the quick hands. I think his ceiling is Sidebottom and his floor is perhaps Spargo.

Sidebottom has been a terrific player, but I'd prefer others and I wouldn't have him in the top 5, and if some talls go early, he may slip outside of the top 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMacjnr said:

Appreciate opinions from our resident youth track watchers as the best but realistic sliders we could pick up if we obtain Brisbane's first round pick?

Given Lions have now made to preliminary week, their 1st pick “live” would be 15 (lose prelim ) or 17 (lose GF) or 18 (win premiership). 

in this range, are players like

Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo. key position forward.

Cooper Hynes - Dandenong. Tall mid.

Alix Tauru - Gippsland. tall fwd/back
Bo Allan - WA. Mid 
Joe Berry - Murray. HFF/mid
Tom Gross - Oakleigh. Mid.
Alex Dodson- SA . Ruck

Edited by spirit of norm smith
H
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adam The God said:

I see the quick hands. I think his ceiling is Sidebottom and his floor is perhaps Spargo.

Sidebottom has been a terrific player, but I'd prefer others and I wouldn't have him in the top 5, and if some talls go early, he may slip outside of the top 10.

I don't see the Sidebottom comparison.

I'm struggling to see what you're seeing, but to each their own.

Reid's downside to me would be Darcy Parish, not a very limited Charlie Spargo.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gator said:

I don't see the pace from stoppage that Parish can offer, but we'll see in 5 years who was right. 😉

Edited by Adam The God
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gator said:

Moves like Parish, ability like Sheezel, headband like Hunter Clark. Wonder which of the three he'll end up as...!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, adonski said:

A 30 touch a game Spargo probably is the best player in the history of the game!

That's true. I meant Spargo more in that he struggles to kick over 30m and chips the ball a lot. 

I admit Jagga Smith, who I have as my number 1 target, lacks a bit of penetration in his kicking too, but Smith has pace and agility. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

I don't see the pace from stoppage that Parish can offer, but we'll see in 5 years who was right. 😉

I've never thought of Parish as being overly quick, so looked up his 20 metre sprint time, which was 3.07 sec.  OK, but far from a speedster.

I've found Reid a little underwhelming in this game (nearing half-time), but will see how the rest of the match pans out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

That's true. I meant Spargo more in that he struggles to kick over 30m and chips the ball a lot. 

I admit Jagga Smith, who I have as my number 1 target, lacks a bit of penetration in his kicking too, but Smith has pace and agility. 

Smith has a lot of physical development left in him. His kicking penetration will improve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

Smith has a lot of physical development left in him. His kicking penetration will improve.

Does he though?

He’s born in January and has spent the entire year as a full time footballer.

He’ll obviously get stronger but I doubt power will ever be a big part of his game, he’s got a wiry frame. Reid might have more of a bulky frame to add power once he gets in to a full time environment.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Gator said:

It just goes to show how you can't rely on highlights.  I loved some of Reid's 4 minute videos but was able to see much more in today's Coates final.

I liked his quick hands on a few occasions, but overall he lacked intensity and noticeably lacked pace.

It's folly to be definitive on one viewing, but he didn't look a top 5-6 pick from what I saw.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

@Gator agree … Reid was under pressure and slipped out little handballs to no one !! Wasn’t as composed as usual. Perhaps it was when physical pressure got applied.   Interesting was that he also didn’t defend when Unwin got clear.  

Was he injured or unwell? 8 touches for a guy who averages 25 is highly unusual 

• Like 1