GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

Posted (edited)

Dreading the Carlton carry on tonight. By far the whingiest supporters in the comp. No doubt every time we touch the ball will be holding, any time we lay a finger on them will be high or without the ball.

I want to crush them!

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

23 minutes ago, Demonland said:

How do you say you're above the age of 40 without saying you're above the age of 40 . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Will you pay my fare on the Jolimont line at least, for some inspiration? 

Definitely can do. Poetic licence may see you swap out the giant Tmac head for a giant Rooey head since the giant Tmac head has seen a lot of love and is now a little worse for wear. Or if you decide to make it a comedy, we have giant Grundy heads, hardly used, almost brand new. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

You can take Schache off the list. May as well have written Grundy. 😜

Too soon?

Interesting changes.

Yours is a fair call.

Salo is a big out but it's not like we don't have him covered.

But Smith was/ is underated as a forward for me. 

Other than that, tonight is a much better team.

Carlton were so lucky in Milk going down, Jvr removing himself and Tmac injured and at the wrong end of the ground. And poor Viney played one of his best finals ever to the point of exhaustion that he didn't have enough left to extend that last kick. 

Not to mention of course losing a premier player in Gus and the possible resulting low morale. 

We lost that final by poor fwd entries and a couple of iffy last minute decisions.

But make no mistake, mostly due to injuries, suspension and Maynard.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Curnow and McKay combine for a 47 goal tally.

Fritta and Kozzy have 33( Fritta with 21 so not far off Curnow)

l know we have the best defense in the land but it will be tested tonight.

And it's fair to say at least one of our talls needs to step up tonight and hit the scoreboard. It's a coin flip how they will go goal wise. Turner a two time fwd was without a goal v cats as was Jvr. The latter only scoring Two goals from his last Three outings is slim pickings for him. He's even been missing shots he normally buries.

Petty worse in this area but if last week doesn't give confidence that this will change then nothing will.

Carlton's forward line is going to score despite our three horsemen down back, so our talls must do some damage. We know that Jvr and Petty can, so I'm hoping they will with at least two goals a piece. Disco the wild card and perhaps Chin and Nibbler helping Kozzie out given that our talls have certainly been getting the ball to ground.

Kosi has missed two games and is playing more midfield, but I take your point. 
We definitely can’t win a shootout 

• Thanks 1

Super annoyed

Just found out it's a Carlton Home game. Won't be my in my plush Trident club surrounds.

Out with the ferals

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Ok game day check list.

Mates invited....check.

Dons franks... check.

Bread rolls... check.

Drinks menu....vb vb and vb check.

All ready.

Go Dees.

You forgot the heart defib for the last quarter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Moonshadow said:

This is an underrated call, i am a Knicks fan in the NBA and that's been bad enough with every single playoff being a nail biter, but it's hard to imagine the margin tonight is more than 10 points either way. 

Fav game v Blues was back in 2004... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Thanks , I've got some bourbon in reserve for that.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Don't see why not?

Because we don't have the same fire power as Carlton, who have not one but two Coleman medallists. 

I mean of course we can win a shootout, but it's not a game style that we are comfortable with, and it greatly reduces our chances of winning. We need this to be a contested slog. If we can't have the game on our terms, it's going to be very hard to win. Offensively they are a very very good side.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

Because we don't have the same fire power as Carlton, who have not one but two Coleman medallists. 

I mean of course we can win a shootout, but it's not a game style that we are comfortable with, and it greatly reduces our chances of winning. We need this to be a contested slog. If we can't have the game on our terms, it's going to be very hard to win. Offensively they are a very very good side.

Agreed. We're not winning if they're kicking plus 100.

• Like 4

AFL phone App contributor Riley Beveridge suggesting that Carlton should stop Lever to win this game. 

I didn't think they would be allowed to single a player out for attention?

• Sad 1

The death of musician/recording legend Steve Albini is all the loss I can take for one day. Therefore the Demons must win by 33 (& 1/3) points. 

• Sad 4

Game day baby. Pumped!

Redemption. We owe them one.

Go Dees!

Just about to watch the highlights of the 2000 QF as a warm up for tonight. Good times!

SN34 

• Like 3

The final against Carlton was a low point. I’ve ranted enough about that so we move to tonight.

On first look I think we’re in for a 4 goal win but each time I look the margin gets closer. Cripps is a beast and Walsh is all class. If our mids aren’t on we’re in trouble. 

FFS kick straight and just win and preferably easily, if that’s even possible anymore.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

The death of musician/recording legend Steve Albini is all the loss I can take for one day. Therefore the Demons must win by 33 (& 1/3) points. 

Steve albini died? You're kidding. 

He can't have been that old. That's a shock.

Legend is thrown around too easily in my humble, but there's no debating his status as one of the all time great producers, particularly in the rock space. 

Righteous fella too.

Vale Steve.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Harry Mack has his lowest disposal average against us, and the other one has kicked a grand total of seven goals in six matches against us. They are not the shoot-out issues. 

Woke up this morning feeling very nervous. Can’t shake the feeling of last year’s two losses to them and my overall view that they are a much better side than their 4-3 record suggests. 

Was surprised to come on here and see many in this thread sharing my view. I suppose it’s a byproduct of last year but I think also comes from us being favourites after winning last week. There’s a bit more pressure tonight and I’m feeling it. 

Can’t have a night like Sydney or Brisbane where we are belted in the middle - we won’t win if that happens. We also probably can’t afford to concede territory too much tonight either. But if we get enough ball in our forward half, I’m confident enough that we can hold them to a score we can beat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skuit said:

LinkedIn just sent me a reminder that today is the Carlton president's ten-year anniversary at the club. 

https://www.consultancy.com.au/news/8767/luke-sayers-faces-heat-over-pwc-whistleblower-complaint

At most clubs you might get a new watch, or some such.

At Carlton they get a paper bag with a silhouette of John Elliot and his bulbous nose.

• Clap 1

9 minutes ago, binman said:

Steve albini died? You're kidding. 

He can't have been that old. That's a shock.

Legend is thrown around too easily in my humble, but there's debating his status as one of great producers, particularly in the rock space. 

Righteous fella too.

Vale Steve.

Yeah. 61, heart attack. 

A real shock. I met him a few years back and he was everything you hoped for. Our band was supposed to be recording an album in Chicago with him next year, but alas…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

Title for the next novel? 

"A tale of two heads" 

"A passage to Jolimont"

Or my favorite 

" Catch 25"

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

The final against Carlton was a low point.

I was already emotionally dead after the Collingwood final, that this loss meant nothing to me. 

After what happened against Collingwood the entire season was done and dusted as far as I was concerned. 

That we lost the next final because we couldn't kick straight, and also had JVR suspended while Maynard went free, is something I totally blocked out.

• Like 7