Thanks as always, @Demon Dynasty 👍👍👍

'Stats' are always 'in the eye of the beholder' but surely your latest post and interpretation above should allow us to calm down a bit. I will.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks DD I agree with Timothy R-A, we weren’t monstered as much as the score board showed. Forward efficiency and accuracy were our killers but the loss of Christian Petracca has sent us all into a spiral and I’m not sure what will pull us out of it.!!!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Thanks DD I agree with Timothy R-A, we weren’t monstered as much as the score board showed. Forward efficiency and accuracy were our killers but the loss of Christian Petracca has sent us all into a spiral and I’m not sure what will pull us out of it.!!!

They have to get Rivers into the middle.  Maybe not full time but needs to play some serious minutes there if we're to have any chance of making the eight imv DZ.

Turner and / or Marty can cover his role from the bench when he's playing through there.

The answers probably don't presently lie at Casey but the following should also take place for mine from the North game as a trial run in that match and assess where we go from there...

Fullarton replaces Petty.

Tommo comes in for Howes.

Moniz for Bowey.  We need another run and gun defender off HB, especially if we're going to push Rivers into the middle as.per the above.

Even if we don't, Bowey is too stop and prop and (partially) killing off any speed on the ball.  Speed up the transition and get some line breaking run going which might help improve our forward entries & chances a tad.

Kolt replaces Tracc.  Probably too early but no choice but to try now.

McAdam for Chandler.

Probably a week too early but if he can't perform against North he probably won't later on against better teams and this could be the confidence game he needs to have!  Ditto Fullarton.

Chandler's form in the last seven weeks bar one game is not AFL worthy, big stint needed at Casey to work on many aspects of his game in the second half of season and go from there.

Sestan for Laurie who has been unable to take the next step so far and unsure as to why he was selected in the first place.

Woe as sub

Tracc out is obviously a massive blow.

However, this last part of the season imv is more about Goodwin's ability to see the light and realise that he needs to bring in some fresh players who have shown a bit at Casey and get some leg speed across HB (Moniz) and even in the middle (Kolt...not super quick but a step up on Vines & Clarry.  Plus Rivers who does have the burst speed) where possible.

He has trialled the likes of Pickett and ANB through the middle which is great but too much CBA time for Pickett is robbing us of his small forward abilities and the odd goal plus the preesure he brings i50.  Tale away serious minutes from our number one pressure guy inside 50 and good luck with that!

Bringing in Rivers for some serious mid minutes to counter some of Pickett's should help us correct this over balance and improve our forward set up somewhat.

Hopefully Melk is back within three to four weeks, including a few at Casey, and that way we have back up for and pressure on McAdam or Chin.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

Agree DD I would love to see all those changes to refresh the side and give us the chance to finish the year running. Reward effort and send underperforming players back to Casey to rekindle their form and desire for the contest, will make us stronger in the long term.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeZone said:

Agree DD I would love to see all those changes to refresh the side and give us the chance to finish the year running. Reward effort and send underperforming players back to Casey to rekindle their form and desire for the contest, will make us stronger in the long term.

I can't see all or much of the above happening but that's just my take DZ. 

Oh one more change.  Woe actually comes in for Sparrow IF he can string a few quality games together at Casey and Sparrow continues his poor form.

I would then swap them over with Sparrow as the sub.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Thanks 1

On 12/06/2024 at 09:30, Demon Dynasty said:

Team & Player Ratings to Rnd 13, 2024 vs H&A Season 2023

Not looking good. 

With the loss of Gus, our season was always riding on the fitness and form of the three amigos in the middle.

We have now lost Tracc.  Viney has been on the decline (injuries?) since Rnd 4 vs the Crows and Clarry is a shadow of his former self and, if we had a replacement, i would suggest needs a long stint at Casey.

We also needed Sparrow to come on but unfortunatley he instead has regressed badly and is really only getting games due to a lack of depth.  Chandler same.

Time to see what we have downstairs and give some of the developing / other role players a go such as Sestan (VG on the weekend), Moniz (serviceable) and Fullo (did ok!).  Looks like we are also attempting to develop BBB into a forward / ruck chop out option at Casey.  Is that necessary though given his knee and where he's at in his career?

Others are in the mix but haven't really shown they are ready yet such as Kolt.  Smacca had a good game also but still needs to build a tank, defensive pressure at ground level and consistency before he gets another call up imho.  About two to three weeks and then back in or do we risk bringing him in earlier?

Woey & Tommo should never have been dropped for KB and need to come straight in.

The players who should not be playing and shouldn't have been played for many weeks now which i have harped on about for a while...

Petty - poorly managed from his too early return after 1 shizen casey game

Chandler - Also poorly managed. It was obvious he was on a massive slide off his early form from about three weeks ago

Turner - not after the Freo game, either needed to go down back to allow Rivers to spend more time in the middle or out of the team to work on his fitness / game at Casey

Bowey - gone over this one before, gets to the right spots but just isn't damaging at all and makes us too slow to transition, allowing the oppo to get numbers forward almost every time.  Puts zero speed on the ball with his stop and prop short game.

Howes - just not at the pressure / intensity level for AFL right now for mine.  More time at Casey needed to work on these aspects.

Billings - VFL player at best and when he went back to Casey he did NOT show enough to get the recall...not sure what Goodwdin was watching / thinking here. He adds and brings nothing.

Laurie - Same as Billings but also a turnover king, even at VFL level under little to no pressure at times.  5 turnovers against the pies and DE at a horrible 57%, thats 17% below AFL average.

Add Hunter and Schache to this list also.

Personally i'd delist those last four at season's end.

Player 2024 Rating 2024 Rank 2023 Rating % Change vs 2023 2023 Rank Change in Rank vs 2023
C Petracca 4.476 1 4.707 -4.9 2 1
Max Gawn 4.352 2 3.350 29.9 7 5
C Oliver 3.844 3 5.002 -23.2 1 -2
Steven May 3.760 4 3.213 17.0 8 4
A Tomlinson 3.558 5 2.915 22.1 14 9
Jake Lever < 3.483 6 3.131 11.2 9 3
Jack Viney 3.337 7 3.707 -10.0 4 -3
C Salem < 3.332 8 2.993 11.3 12 4
T Rivers 3.296 9 3.696 -10.8 5 -4
Ed Langdon 3.083 10 3.057 0.9 10 0
T McDonald 3.000 11 2.054 46.1 27 16
A N-Bullen 2.990 12 2.532 18.1 20 8
Judd McVee 2.937 13 2.320 26.6 22 9
J Bowey < 2.785 14 2.820 -1.2 15 1
T Woewodin < > 2.577 15 1.406 83.3 34 19
T Sparrow 2.515 16 2.811 -10.5 16 0
K Pickett 2.443 17 2.101 16.3 26 9
B Howes 2.386 18 - - - -
M Hore 2.273 19 - - - -
J Billings > < 2.202 20 - - - -
C Windsor < 2.181 21 - - - -
K Chandler 2.098 22 2.265 -7.4 23 1
J V Rooyen 2.036 23 2.170 -6.2 25 2
B Fritsch 1.862 24 2.324 -19.9 21 -3
L Hunter* < 1.838 25 2.939 -37.5 13 -12
B Laurie* < > 1.605 26 2.235 -28.2 24 -2
S McAdam* 1.483 27 - - - -
Ben Brown < 1.391 28 1.941 -28.3 28 0
H Petty < 1.238 29 2.718 -54.5 19 -10
C Spargo* 1.200 30 1.886 -36.4 29 -1
D Turner 1.180 31 1.825 -35.3 31 0
K Tholstrup* 1.100 32 - - - -
J Schache* 0.700 33 1.525 -54.1 33 0
J Melksham - - 1.599 - 32 -
Team Rating 66.91   69.86 -4.2    
Top 6 23.47   24.43 -3.9    
Bottom 6 13.58   15.17 -10.5    

* Played less than two full matches (in total)

< Subbed out at least once or more (player rating could be somewhat comprised)

> Subbed in at least once or more (player rating could be somewhat comprised)

Stats courtesy of footwire.com & wheeloratings.com

Why the he'll can't Tomlinson  get a game Turner is a fail on those Stats

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kent said:

Turner is being played as a forward with little effect bar the one match Kent.  Can't see him holding his spot this week surely!?

On Tommo i'd have him in for most games ahead of Howes, unless match ups insist on a more agile player to cover a small forward maybe?

Bottom line with Tommo is he never drops his work rate and effort.  That's a rare asset and a great one to have in a team where so many have shaat the bed in the last month and failed to turn up.

You could even play Tommo forward in place of Turner.  How could he be any worse!  Answer... he wouldn't!  And probably at least gets the ball to ground more often and takes out a few of the oppo's backmen in the process.

Same with Moniz for Bowey.  At least trial it for a good block of games. 

What's to lose?  Season's pretty much shot now and Moniz deserves a run with Bowey not having any real weapons or serious form since his return.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Kent said:

because as a tall defender he's hopeless 1:1 against any size opponent and he has one means of disposing of the ball - kicking it long and as far away from himself as possible

i know there's 'tomlinson truthers' on this site but unfortunately if we want to be a good side he won't be in it

he's not even as good a defender as sam frost

they're both unreliable with and without the ball

• Sad 1