AFLW: Rd 05 vs Geelong

rpfc

Some of our hardest games are yet to come but:

• we play Crows and Freo at Casey - big advantage for us.
  • we have beaten Lions at their ground in a GF
  • The other two games are Eagles in Perth and North

We may not go undefeated and I prefer we don't take that 'monkey on our back' into finals but it is difficult to see how we don't make top two from here and get Home finals, albeit probably not at Casey. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, BDA said:

Our record at Ikon park is excellent. I'd prefer to play there rather than Casey tbh (easier to get to and the wind won't spoil the game)

Agreed.  We are truly at the stage of anyone/anywhere.  The only ground we haven't conquered is in Adelaide but right now the chances of playing there this year are few.  Given our current form I reckon we would conquer that also!

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Another great game by the girls... so well drilled and coached and the stability has allowed that with great drafting.  The number of ex-demons players do well at other clubs from the early days show's we have a great talent scout from the start.  Then decisions to bring in a player like Harris on "Big" money to fill a gap.  How big is the squad, i.e. how many players haven't we seen?0

Yes bigger games to come, but the cats were considered one that will play finals so it was a good test to step up.  Crows and Roo's are the most interesting games coming up.

The last goal thing, not that it affects the players but as a supporter I get more stressed for the first team to break it.  Strange isn't it thinking that. Its like the tension of a close game and making sure they don't score.

Lastly that main female commentator we have had for the last 2 games, is it Underwood, not sure?  She is annoying me by stating footy terms like hospital handball etc when they clear weren't, just to sound smarter for some reason.  It's annoying, they did a few times last night for other actions in the game.  

Otherwise the girls are looking good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Just an observation. The footskills of the Irish women across the league is astounding. Maybe Choco is overrated. 

The ball movement of our girls is far more enjoyable to watch than our men's team, despite Geelong really pressuring well all game.

As others have said, Aimee Mackin will become a superstar. 

The only team that worries me is the Crows. They have an excellent midfield and a potent forward line. Even though we were dominant last night, our backline was jittery at times, especially Goldrick. Maddie Gay needs to return there for some stability.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DubDee said:

Great to see Macca back in everything. she is tiny but runs all day and was great in the first half

Loved the E = mcbanner. Clever!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

This team is Special, with a capital S. Actually, all capitals… SPECIAL.

So unassuming and humble, not a single bighead amongst them. Post-match I said to Goldie, “You guys are killing it! 14 wins in a row, a class above everyone else in the comp!” She replied, “yeah, we’re going ok, aren’t we.”  Going ok, she says. Riiiiight  😳

And as fierce and unforgiving as they are on-field, they’re the sweetest people off-field. When you talk to them like we did post-match its hard to believe it’s the same group of girls who just got done mercilessly dismantling yet another opponent. Soooooo proud of them. 

Thank you, Ireland, for not only Sinead, Blaithin and Aimee (and Jim and, round about, Sean) but also for that particular humour you brought to Australia, new and ancient.

• Love 2

What I'm feeling, and it's very evident so many others are feeling, is that this team and its football are just a pleasure to watch (the winning's nice, too, of course!)

And, for me, this is particularly for its being a week-by-week experience. I'm hoping I can keep this feeling uppermost and suppress 'eye on the prize', where personal disappointment lies (don't we know it!)

It's already creeping in with that goalless last quarter thingy (I'm with you, @darkhorse72!)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BDA said:

Our record at Ikon park is excellent. I'd prefer to play there rather than Casey tbh (easier to get to and the wind won't spoil the game)

Since the *higher-finishing team chooses, you can bet we’ll choose Ikon. We’ve never lost there and the girls love playing there more than anywhere.

*getting ahead of myself, I know, but it would take a catastrophe of biblical proportions to see us slip to fourth. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Yet another incredible stat…

F901AECF-9C52-40AC-B4EB-2432BF2D6E6E.thumb.jpeg.dce7f6da9fefdf013347f55e82bf433e.jpeg

The list just goes on, doesn't it!

Though I think AFLW is still a few seasons short of justifying the word 'ever' 😏

• Haha 2

Something I found very interesting…

So, last night after the match Eliza W came over and said to me, “Look how I’ve had to wear my hair.” (We’ve discussed hair before - we’ve both got a penchant for braids - and she only ever wears cornrows [thin braids plaited tightly to the scalp] on GameDay, it’s a superstition of hers). Last night she had cornrows but they stopped at her neck and the rest of her hair was in a loose (unbraided) ponytail. I was surprised, then she explained that she isn’t allowed to cornrow her hair all the way because it can be deemed a “weapon.”

That got me wondering if this has ever been an issue in the men’s. 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

4 hours ago, darkhorse72 said:

Another great game by the girls... so well drilled and coached and the stability has allowed that with great drafting.  The number of ex-demons players do well at other clubs from the early days show's we have a great talent scout from the start.  Then decisions to bring in a player like Harris on "Big" money to fill a gap.  How big is the squad, i.e. how many players haven't we seen?0

Yes bigger games to come, but the cats were considered one that will play finals so it was a good test to step up.  Crows and Roo's are the most interesting games coming up.

The last goal thing, not that it affects the players but as a supporter I get more stressed for the first team to break it.  Strange isn't it thinking that. Its like the tension of a close game and making sure they don't score.

Lastly that main female commentator we have had for the last 2 games, is it Underwood, not sure?  She is annoying me by stating footy terms like hospital handball etc when they clear weren't, just to sound smarter for some reason.  It's annoying, they did a few times last night for other actions in the game.  

Otherwise the girls are looking good.  

Kelli was not a commentator last night.

it was Chylow .....    or similar. Sorry name is incorrect. But who cares. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Since the *higher-finishing team chooses, you can bet we’ll choose Ikon. We’ve never lost there and the girls love playing there more than anywhere.

*getting ahead of myself, I know, but it would take a catastrophe of biblical proportions to see us slip to fourth. 

Any chance we can get that horrible huge CFC logo covered up for our home games there. It's terrible, and even worse being the AFLW premier stadium and just a massive ad for the shifty paper bag club

• Clap 1

18 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Something I found very interesting…

So, last night after the match Eliza W came over and said to me, “Look how I’ve had to wear my hair.” (We’ve discussed hair before - we’ve both got a penchant for braids - and she only ever wears cornrows [thin braids plaited tightly to the scalp] on GameDay, it’s a superstition of hers). Last night she had cornrows but they stopped at her neck and the rest of her hair was in a loose (unbraided) ponytail. I was surprised, then she explained that she isn’t allowed to cornrow her hair all the way because it can be deemed a “weapon.”

That got me wondering if this has ever been an issue in the men’s. 

One of the Cats was rocking them, too.

Did Heretier try them?

I've thought the flying ponytails could be a worry, too, particularly to eyes.

And some of those topknots are pretty pointy...

9 minutes ago, darkhorse72 said:

Thanks, she wasn't very good, however you say spell her name.

'Chyloe'.

Seen before heard, so I thought 'Kylowie' and 'Shilo' were 2 different commentators.

Throwing in my commentator beef with all your others, posters, the constant reference to the height of the taller girls was pretty off.

3 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Any chance we can get that horrible huge CFC logo covered up for our home games there. It's terrible, and even worse being the AFLW premier stadium and just a massive ad for the shifty paper bag club

What’s worse is we sit directly across from it so there’s no escaping it. At the very least, when the sun sets and lights go on, they should leave the CFC unlit. 

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

its an eyesore

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

One of the Cats was rocking them, too.

Did Heretier try them?

I've thought the flying ponytails could be a worry, too, particularly to eyes.

And some of those topknots are pretty pointy...

Yes H did cornrow his hair but the length is the difference. I kind of understand the issue if it’s a braided ponytail that is higher up the head (as opposed to the nape) because that definitely can be dangerous. I once almost knocked a girl out at a bar when I turned to walk away and my thick plait smacked her in the face. 😬 I just think it’s a shame for Westy since it’s a superstition to which she firmly adhered. I told her that a long string of wins might make her feel easier about it. 👍🏽😃

PS pointy topknots LOL 😂 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

What’s worse is we sit directly across from it so there’s no escaping it. At the very least, when the sun sets and lights go on, they should leave the CFC unlit. 

Surely an AFLW logo on a banner over the top of it would be an appropriate action for AFLW headquarters games

• Like 3

Just now, Sideshow Bob said:

Surely an AFLW logo on a banner over the top of it would be an appropriate action for AFLW headquarters games

I agree, but I’m guessing there’s some sort of rule in place that makes it allowable for the monstrosity to remain uncovered. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Yes H did cornrow his hair but the length is the difference. I kind of understand the issue if it’s a braided ponytail that is higher up the head (as opposed to the nape) because that definitely can be dangerous. I once almost knocked a girl out at a bar when I turned to walk away and my thick plait smacked her in the face. 😬 I just think it’s a shame for Westy since it’s a superstition to which she firmly adhered. I told her that a long string of wins might make her feel easier about it. 👍🏽😃

PS pointy topknots LOL 😂 

...if not just continued performances like hers and the team's last night, absent the superstitionrows 😊

And anyway, the team still has Eden's superstitious tucked jumper...

• Haha 1