POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Adelaide

Demonland

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

How about our inaccurate kicking? We finished on 13 behinds. Crows on 15. 
If we kick straight in the last it’s a 5 goal win. 

They also started the game with 1.8, so it would have been a different game anyway.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The biggest highlight was the continued use of Pickett in the middle throughout the game.

We had glimpses in the past then wouldn’t see it at all for a long time.

Is Goodwin starting to break from his “it worked in 2021 so it will work now/playing favourites that ruined 2022” phase?

I reckon that’s a bit rough Clint.

We’re throwing the cat amongst the pigeons for match ups… it’s flexible, it’s agile, it’s exciting… and it’s not throwing magnets around.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I reckon that’s a bit rough Clint.

We’re throwing the cat amongst the pigeons for match ups… it’s flexible, it’s agile, it’s exciting… and it’s not throwing magnets around.

I’m saying it’s a good thing!

2022 was anything but flexible.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, IRW said:

Honouring his leads might be worth a try but otherwise you seem to be correct.

However as Candice Warner said " who is better?"

I watched him literally put one hand up for a mark because the Adelaide defender out bodied a 200cm 100kg man. Unfortunately he doesn't have it anymore.

In regards to who is better, Smith in the interim. I'd rather anyone thst will actually win a contest. No point flogging a dead horse 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, pitmaster said:

Smith was enormously effective in his one quarter, whereas BBB, despite pushing upfield and making himself a target at times, seemed unable to get to contests in the F50 which allowed numerous virtually uncontested intercept marks for their defenders.

I suspect Smith's agility would enable him to make those contests BBB could not, so maybe he should be given a full game. The only query is that he seems to fade out of games when he takes the field early. Is he fit enough, mentally sharp enough, to be worth the gamble?

Watch out ClintBizkit the BBB fanboi will come after you with this dribble :)

BBB is such a soft player.

• Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

3 hours ago, IRW said:

but the Pies play bazball,its exciting and  two games clear on the basis of fearless commited " dare" ( quote Dasisy Pearce) besides winning close ones.

The media have always talked about the Woods, whether sinking, floating, or bazzing.

I just wish the Demonlander's wouldn't follow suit. There are 18 teams and I find too much thought is about Pies, especially by the media.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, loges said:

When Oliver comes back he will be under done. I would alternate him and Trac 50/50 on ball and forward.

Oliver under done? I reckon more like a caged starved lion ready to kill. 
He has been able to get the KMs in. He will not be underdone. He might be a little rusty with his touch but even a rusty Clarry is 99% ahead of just about any player in the competition. 

I think the way Salem came in and did not seem to miss a beat is how Clarry will come back in. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 2

4 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Buck changing his tune this week (sort of) ...

Oliver mid 2022 when he went forward cameo was fantastic 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

48 minutes ago, binman said:

Yeah, rankin out has certainly dinted my confidence in a crows win a bit. And to be honest I had forgotten about rachelle (geez he would have made a difference yesterday with his class around goals - I'd be filthy with him if I was a crows fan).

But I'm still confident they'll roll them.

And the reason why is the same reason they really tested us yesterday - their ball movement, clearly modelled on they of the pies, really exposes defensive systems and i reckon Port's defence is their biggest weakness.

And I reckon the crows have a good defensive system, which is very much modelled on ours. And they will do good job of negating port's offence.

Their ball movement and their ability to pick through defences with those 20-30 metre passes. Gets teams on the hop when they have to continuously have to re-set their structure. 

I'm in the same camp I think they knock off Port or at very least give them a massive run for their money. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Oliver under done? I reckon more like a caged starved lion ready to kill. 
He has been able to get the KMs in. He will not be underdone. He might be a little rusty with his touch but even a rusty Clarry is 99% ahead of just about any player in the competition. 

I think the way Salem came in and did not seem to miss a beat is how Clarry will come back in. 

Been out for a long time. We'll see, no reason with him and Trac alternating could increase our scoring power.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IRW said:

Why do you think the win the close ones?

Some clown on here said MFC must be hard to coach against!

Of the notional contenders they are far and away the easiest to play against;opposition teams go in knowing that they are always a chance because MFC rarely play 4 quarters at their best ( as good as it is) and are vulnerable to being ground down by failing to capitalise on the leads the establish

I think you are calling me the clown. I noticed your laughing emoji on on my post.

So is it, coaching or lack of 4 quarters?

The coaching group, are constantly moving players around on the field. That is why I believe we give the opposition a headache. We don't match up easily.

For the other to play better than us, they need "to take it on", play their own style, and hit the corridors. If they play to restrict us, they lose. Good coaching, forcing that, now if we could only stop the oppositions fast ball movement for the 4 quarters. 

You're a cynic without much optimism, thriving on loss and judgement. 

Do you see the worst and hope for the best, or are you just stuck in the mire of hopelessness and worthlesness? 

At least you have the Wobbles to rock your boat.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Can't disagree with any of that really. Credit where its due re Goodwin/changes, however still plenty to improve to be a real chance at the pointy end. Exactly how I see where we are at.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SFebes said:

They also started the game with 1.8, so it would have been a different game anyway.

I'm on record in another thread saying expected score can be a flawed metric, but worth pointing out we won expected score 95-85 yesterday, implying if anyone missed more shots than expected, it was us. 

They kicked poorly to start, we kicked poorly to finish. They also took a number of shots from very far out which to some degree our defence was responsible for. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I think you are calling me the clown.

So is it, coaching or lack of 4 quarters?

The coaching group, are constantly moving players around on the field. That is why I believe we give the opposition a headache. We don't match up easily.

You're a cynic without much optimism, thriving on loss and judgement. 

Do you see the worst and hope for the best, or are you just stuck in the mire of hopelessness and worthlesness? 

At least you have the Wobbles to rock your boat.

I appreciate that you tried to defend your argument. It's chicken or the egg ..all coaches set up with certain match ups and game plans in mind while  some make decisive changes when required during a game.

I suggest Goodwin is predictable  and slow to adjust, which is why MFC get cut down in surges and imbalances ..

Calling  me a cynic is fair enough but it's exacerbated by the nonsense posted on here at times.

Still I am rusted on enough to have weathered the peaks and troughs from 1964 to 2021.

Granted 64 was a close one, a nail biter we nearly dropped and I really only remember the last 15 minutes.

If Maysie kicks the sealer on G/F day I will be happy enough ,especially if it's against black and white ( where ever they call home)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, IRW said:

I appreciate that you tried to defend your argument. It's chicken or the egg ..all coaches set up with certain match ups and game plans in mind while  some make decisive changes when required during a game.

I suggest Goodwin is predictable  and slow to adjust, which is why MFC get cut down in surges and imbalances ..

Calling  me a cynic is fair enough but it's exacerbated by the nonsense posted on here at times.

Still I am rusted on enough to have weathered the peaks and troughs from 1964 to 2021.

Granted 64 was a close one, a nail biter we nearly dropped and I really only remember the last 15 minutes.

If Maysie kicks the sealer on G/F day I will be happy enough ,especially if it's against black and white ( where ever they call home)

That all good and likeable. That is why I responded, and being called a clown for theatrics purposes, well! Just an opinion.

When at stoppages for example, we are constantly changing the player who is after the tap. Which one does the opponent hold back?  When the forward line sets up. Who is pushing into the centre, who is swapping positions?

Is the backline going to play high or sit back?

We are even trying to create one on one's in the forward area, as well as open it up. 

The backline has learnt more about creating tempo and switching (still a work in progress).

Players are playing roles all over the field and swapping those roles with each other. We use the bench very well.

We have a subtle game strategy and I say again, we must be a headache to play against.

Apart from coaching, our players must also give the oppo coaches a headache.

Who stops Tracc, how do they run with our wingers, how can they minimise the impact from our backs, how do they stop our desperation, what do they do to clear our foward area and minimise the repeat entries.

We are always on their mind, and if we aren't we hammer them.  Also, some teams learn from us and set themselves to play us.   

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 4
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

I'm on record in another thread saying expected score can be a flawed metric, but worth pointing out we won expected score 95-85 yesterday, implying if anyone missed more shots than expected, it was us. 

They kicked poorly to start, we kicked poorly to finish. They also took a number of shots from very far out which to some degree our defence was responsible for. 

Gday Frap - Just out of curiosity, is the "expected score" a constant in-game changing evidence based data set? ie; also, how can it predict what could have happened had Adelaide not kicked 1.8 to start the game, is it just a best guess? Does it factor confidence/momentum? They also missed some easy shots in close as well. 

All I was saying was in reference to people who say if we kicked straight in the last, if Crows kicked straight it's a totally different ball game.

ps: "expected score" is not something I have used but I have noticed quite a few discrepancies with how its portrayed so would like to learn more about it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

How about our inaccurate kicking? We finished on 13 behinds. Crows on 15. 
If we kick straight in the last it’s a 5 goal win. 

Not that straight forward Jaded.

We kicked 11 and had two rushed.

Crows kicked 14 and had one rushed.

Also their missed shots were easier on the whole.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Also their missed shots were easier on the whole.

Not according to the expected scores they weren't. They nailed some really hard shots in the last, while we missed some absolute gimmes in the last.

Adelaide are ranked 1st in the competition for inside 50 efficiency, 2nd for goals, 2nd for contested marks, 3rd for contested possessions and 4th for clearances. They also have the highest average speed in both attack and defence! 

It is little wonder that they are pushing the best sides, and that they did the same to us. 

Anyone who underestimates them is looking at the win loss ratio of a side still finding consistency, and not at what they actually bring to the game. 

If they beat the Pies and us, as they could have given the margin, they are firmly in the top 6 and spoken of in the same "could do real damage" as Geelong are, who are statistically nowhere near as good as the Crows this year. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 5
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

I agree with him. We have shifted in game style and personnel and it has worked. We look better with the footy than we have for a couple months.

At some point I would bring in Grundy for JVR and Oliver and Fritsch of course for Jordon and Smith in the 23 but we are getting there.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Not according to the expected scores they weren't. They nailed some really hard shots in the last, while we missed some absolute gimmes in the last.

Adelaide are ranked 1st in the competition for inside 50 efficiency, 2nd for goals, 2nd for contested marks, 3rd for contested possessions and 4th for clearances. They also have the highest average speed in both attack and defence! 

It is little wonder that they are pushing the best sides, and that they did the same to us. 

Anyone who underestimates them is looking at the win loss ratio of a side still finding consistency, and not at what they actually bring to the game. 

If they beat the Pies and us, as they could have given the margin, they are firmly in the top 6 and spoken of in the same "could do real damage" as Geelong are, who are statistically nowhere near as good as the Crows this year. 

#Facts

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tracca said:

Watch out ClintBizkit the BBB fanboi will come after you with this dribble :)

BBB is such a soft player.

rubbish....love to see you cop the amount of chops, whacks and attention he gets.... and see how you feel about "Soft" ??  yeahhh....nahhh !!

• Like 10
  • Clap 1
  • Vomit 1