Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

AFLW List Changes 2022



Recommended Posts

On 5/26/2022 at 8:41 AM, Lucifers Hero said:

@Dees_In_October

Would like your thoughts on the rules around losing players to the new teams:

Each player in the competition has been assigned a points value which is calculated based on age, payment tier, career games and any awards they might have won. To keep their first round draft pick for the upcoming NAB AFLW Draft, existing clubs must lose a total of 28 points worth of players'. 

That looks quite Draconian.  Losing a first round pick is very harsh, especially if the target is missed because players don't want to be traded.

Other rules are listed in this article:  how-many-players-can-each-club-lose-expansion-rules-explained

Any idea what players we are at risk of losing or would be ok letting go?

Yeah, harsh but not surprising. They've always been content to weaken the established clubs during expansion, and as one of the most established clubs, yep, we lose out. They didn't 'punish' the successful clubs during the other expansions, so of course now that our success has shown through, they've added that while Adelaide have cruised along for years unrestricted.

To be fair, we've done very well out of the previous expansions compared to most others, though that seems to be down to good list management and a good culture, plus very little 'go home' factor among the recruits selected (the latter being a big thing for Brisbane, for example, who initially recruited heavily from Vic). Again, victim of our own success.

Of the three confirmed losses, only Tarrant qualifies as a loss to expansion so far. I don't know the ins and outs of the points system, but annoyingly I bet her points value won't reflect her actual talent - she'd have broken into and stayed in most other teams this season. Hopefully there'll be transparency about the totals as the trading unfolds.

As for who else would be ok to let go, it's a tough one. Tarrant, Parry and Petrevski were the obvious ones. Then there's Scott (but she'd be unlikely to play on elsewhere). Magee - again, would she be picked up by an expansion team? Unlikely. That's if she's continuing Aussie Rules. Sherriff and Mithen if we're really that keen on the first round pick?

At risk of being lured? No clue! The vibe is extremely positive, but it always looks like that from the outside. Who knows, maybe they're all deeply dissatisfied and we'll get to those 28 points with ease?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dees_In_October said:

Yeah, harsh but not surprising. They've always been content to weaken the established clubs during expansion, and as one of the most established clubs, yep, we lose out. They didn't 'punish' the successful clubs during the other expansions, so of course now that our success has shown through, they've added that while Adelaide have cruised along for years unrestricted.

To be fair, we've done very well out of the previous expansions compared to most others, though that seems to be down to good list management and a good culture, plus very little 'go home' factor among the recruits selected (the latter being a big thing for Brisbane, for example, who initially recruited heavily from Vic). Again, victim of our own success.

Of the three confirmed losses, only Tarrant qualifies as a loss to expansion so far. I don't know the ins and outs of the points system, but annoyingly I bet her points value won't reflect her actual talent - she'd have broken into and stayed in most other teams this season. Hopefully there'll be transparency about the totals as the trading unfolds.

As for who else would be ok to let go, it's a tough one. Tarrant, Parry and Petrevski were the obvious ones. Then there's Scott (but she'd be unlikely to play on elsewhere). Magee - again, would she be picked up by an expansion team? Unlikely. That's if she's continuing Aussie Rules. Sherriff and Mithen if we're really that keen on the first round pick?

At risk of being lured? No clue! The vibe is extremely positive, but it always looks like that from the outside. Who knows, maybe they're all deeply dissatisfied and we'll get to those 28 points with ease?

How many first round picks do the expansion clubs get as priority?

With 18 teams our first pick is at best 17 and might be p pushed back further.

We might be content to simply lose that and keep the list together.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, deanox said:

How many first round picks do the expansion clubs get as priority?

With 18 teams our first pick is at best 17 and might be p pushed back further.

We might be content to simply lose that and keep the list together.

Exactly right.  Losing a quality player just to be replaced by a speculative pick at 17 or higher may be not what is needed. 

It would be nice to know the "black box" points system created by the AFL....are older or younger players worth more points?  Same sort of smoke and mirrors as compensation picks in the mens draft.

At the end of the day this is only 1 draft pick, and hopefully status quo returns next year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Draft order herein https://www.womens.afl/news/94642/what-picks-does-your-club-have-indicative-draft-order-revealed?_ga=2.79748183.1539775283.1651801920-1058869341.1629262583

Saints have an extra 1st round pick (but lost their 3rd round) and the GCS have an extra end of 2nd round pick - special assistance apparently.  WCE also seem to have a draft pick upgrade.

Dees, Adelaide and LIons forfeited first round picks for not giving away enough players to total the 28 pts

iirc we anticipated the dilution of picks in this expansion draft and made some good trades for high picks two years ago so forfeiting a pick int he mid - 20's this year is no great loss. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.womens.afl/news/94179?_ga=2.178718948.1122198148.1653872951-1661021775.1652416813

Lauren Magee not returning and Maeve Chaplin delisted. The Chaplin delisting seems more about giving us the minimum three draft picks, so wonder if we will pick her back up if nobody else swoops in first.

Our first pick would have fallen somewhere beyond 27, so no big loss. If we otherwise keep our list together bar Tarrant, Parry and Petrevski, that's a great result. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, dl4e said:

Keeping the list together as much as possible keeps our flag window open. 

Yes, especially when other contenders are loosing good players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, dl4e said:

Keeping the list together as much as possible keeps our flag window open. 

And hopefully Adelaide lose more players. Erin Phillips a start but i would like to see one of Marinoff or Hatchard leave. There was talk of Hatchard to Port but its gone quiet. Marinoff's family are Port supporters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BDA said:

And hopefully Adelaide lose more players. Erin Phillips a start but i would like to see one of Marinoff or Hatchard leave. There was talk of Hatchard to Port but its gone quiet. Marinoff's family are Port supporters

Phillips to Port had a bit of the Ablett to Gold Coast feel about it in terms of providing a new challenge to a player who as achieved everything, and giving greater opportunities to the next group of players coming through.

I can't see why any of their other gun players would want to leave Adelaide unless they could be paid a truck load of money. That club is set up to challenge for premierships for years to come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, poita said:

Phillips to Port had a bit of the Ablett to Gold Coast feel about it in terms of providing a new challenge to a player who as achieved everything, and giving greater opportunities to the next group of players coming through.

Her old man is a Port champion. She's Port Adeliade through and through. I don't think she leaves the Crows if Port were just another club

2 hours ago, poita said:

I can't see why any of their other gun players would want to leave Adelaide unless they could be paid a truck load of money. That club is set up to challenge for premierships for years to come.

Money is a factor no question but they have already won 3 premierships. Perhaps the challenge of helping establish a new club would appeal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kind of sad to see Scott leave but she was getting past it so I don't think there will be too much annoyance at Melbourne. She will also be closer to her cows. Colac I think.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to see Scott go as an original player and one who gave a lot, often under the radar, in seasons past. I thought she might sneak in another season with us, even as depth. She obviously wants to play on, good for her, and expansion has helped with that. Seems like a win-win for all involved. Her experience will be highly valued at the Cats.

On 5/31/2022 at 7:45 PM, dl4e said:

Keeping the list together as much as possible keeps our flag window open. 

Finger's crossed! So far, so good, I reckon.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:07 PM, poita said:

https://www.womens.afl/news/94179?_ga=2.178718948.1122198148.1653872951-1661021775.1652416813

Lauren Magee not returning and Maeve Chaplin delisted. The Chaplin delisting seems more about giving us the minimum three draft picks, so wonder if we will pick her back up if nobody else swoops in first.

Our first pick would have fallen somewhere beyond 27, so no big loss. If we otherwise keep our list together bar Tarrant, Parry and Petrevski, that's a great result. 

Agree Chaplin would be a good one to bring back on if possible.

On 5/31/2022 at 6:20 PM, Meggs said:

Is Goldie returning for this 2nd 2022 season?

I really really really hope so. Apparently the new pay deal has caught attention in Ireland, so maybe she's got some more mates she can bring as rookies, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Petrevski departure made official and we've also lost youngster Simmons, who was yet to crack the team and had just made it back from injury into VFLW.

https://www.womens.afl/news/94656?_ga=2.60496302.249922842.1654152283-2039777732.1654152283

Changes so far:

IN OUT
Wilson (Carlton) Pick 42 (Vic 23)
Ivey (Geelong); Pick 51 (Vic 26) Parry, Scott (Geelong)
Pick 50 Petrevski, Simmons (WC), Pick 77
  Tarrant (Sydney)

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2022 at 8:38 AM, poita said:

I wonder if we have another move coming as we now have more than our required 3 list spaces free.

I guess not!

By my reckoning, we've got 24 existing players listed, plus Ivey and Wilson. So 26.

Updated Vic picks are 24, 27, 42, 51.

Possibly could still elevate Goldrick and/or West from the rookie list if there are options there.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On the surface signing on a 34 year-old ruck who'll miss this season with an ACL seems unwise...

But she'll go straight onto the inactive list, so won't take up a list spot. An ex-captain and described as a 'heart and soul' player for the Saints, so their decision to delist has not been well received.

Apparently Melbourne listened to her ex-teammate's endorsement:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The list is complete, with Ella Little signed as an injury replacement player to replace McNamara.

From https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1201679 -

Little, who hails from Millicent in South Australia, earns her opportunity after impressing for Woodville-West Torrens and as an overage player in the NAB AFLW National Championships.

The 19-year-old is a strong-bodied utility and has most recently been working on her craft as an inside midfielder. She is known for her clean hands, both in the contest and aerially.

Little was overlooked in the AFLW Draft earlier this year and has since been training with the Adelaide Crows as a train-on player.

AFLW list manager Todd Patterson said the signing was reward for Little’s perseverance.

“Ella is a versatile player, who has experience playing as a medium-tall forward and has recently developed as an inside midfielder.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With such a strong list, it’s gonna be tough to get named in the 21 each week.  A nice problem to have for Mick Stinear.   Good luck to her.

The 18 AFLW skippers were anonymously polled on which other club apart from their own is most likely to push into this year's Grand Final: Melbourne (eight votes), Brisbane (five votes), Adelaide Crows (four votes) and Fremantle (one vote).  

Edited by Meggs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 4:31 PM, Supermercado said:

What happened to Sabreena Duffy? Played one practice match, had an injury scare, but isn't on the injured list now. Would surely walk into our forward line if available.

Apparently she's fine injury wise but not match fit yet. Building for Round 5-6 (this is according to a twitter comment I saw so no idea if verified). I know you're waiting for that crumb!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLINK OF AN EYE by The Oracle

    In the year 2022, we learned that the fine between ultimate success in sport and failure can be measured in the blink of an eye. The Melbourne Football Club began the year where it had left off in 2021 - as the powerhouse of the AFL men’s competition.  They steamed towards the halfway mark of the season taking all before them until their winning streak of ten in a row (17 overall since the latter part of the premiership season) came to a crushing end with consecutive losses at the hands of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    CHANGES 2022 Part 03 by The Oracle

    Part Three - Comparing apples with pomegranates by The Oracle One of the truly pointless exercises after each year’s draft is the game over which club “won” the period in question. The reality is that there is no winner or loser at the time and it’s only years further down the track when a full assessment of how the picks turn out can be made, that the winning hand is revealed. And the draft results cannot be considered in isolation; you need to look at where each club stood before the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...