2022 AFL National Draft prospects: The next batch

Whispering_Jack

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

A player to watch out for is Gippsland Power skipper and midfield bull Bailey Humphrey who had 31 disposals and kicked four goals against the Northern Knights on return from almost three months off with a meniscus tear. So impressive was his form that it’s likely he will be added to the Vic Country squad for the final NAB National Championship game vs Vic Metro.

Apparently a bit of a Serong-style of player. Had 5 behinds to go with those 4 goals, he could have had an enormous day!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

You don’t have Rueban Ginbey in your group and he is a player we’re into

Hi PSD. Reuben was in my group at about 23-25 range. He’s a good youngster as a inside mid, already played senior footy and looks like a young leader.  Jed Hagan is the other West Australian that I was thinking would be in the mix. But I might be a little gun shy of recommending youngsters from WA right now !!! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Hi PSD. Reuben was in my group at about 23-25 range. He’s a good youngster as a inside mid, already played senior footy and looks like a young leader.  Jed Hagan is the other West Australian that I was thinking would be in the mix. But I might be a little gun shy of recommending youngsters from WA right now !!! 

My apologies SONS, didn’t see him, don’t think he’s get the same tricks as Serong, just a real competitor and leader

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

He impressed when moved into midfield for WA, moved right up the boards. Seen much of him, @Pennant St Dee?

Morning Chaser, yes he goes to school with my oldest (who is in the year group below) I have seen him play over the last two seasons and really been impressed with him. He played all of last season at CHB and stood out to me as a good 3rd tall with game awareness, strong hands and really good rebound defender.  
Saw him play seniors for East Perth earlier in the season and he had no issues with the bigger bodies.  This season he’s spent a lot more time running through the middle and really began moving up the draft boards. Woey is the midfield coach at Wesley and he’s really pushed for Ginbey to play more through the middle. Tim Lamb came to watch him earlier in the season, big crowd there vs Scotch on Saturday so whether Tim was there again I’m not sure.  He’ll be a good player, not a superstar but just has that competitive nature and work ethic, does the basics well

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

My apologies SONS, didn’t see him, don’t think he’s get the same tricks as Serong, just a real competitor and leader

Bit of a Deven Robinson mate? Really like him as a player, despite his yo-yoing in and out of the Brisbane side.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, A F said:

Bit of a Deven Robinson mate? Really like him as a player, despite his yo-yoing in and out of the Brisbane side.

Yes pretty good comparison although taller than Deven 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

A player to watch out for is Gippsland Power skipper and midfield bull Bailey Humphrey who had 31 disposals and kicked four goals against the Northern Knights on return from almost three months off with a meniscus tear. So impressive was his form that it’s likely he will be added to the Vic Country squad for the final NAB National Championship game vs Vic Metro.

Long-time Melbourne fans will see a striking resemblance to Warren Dean in the way he moves and looks but he's obviously more of an around the ground player, more nimble than Warren and he can't kick it 80 metres. But he's a shorter dead ringer.  I think he will probably play a lot forward for Country if he plays.   In his Power games he plays a lot deep forward.  He's good on the lead, he can outwrestle the mid-sized defenders and he' s a good worker when he goes inside midfield, he's physical, he can run and carry and he's got some tricky footwork at times to get out of trouble.  The area of his game that warrants improvement or more consistency is ball use by foot.  It's not horrible but it's not elite.  I think clubs will like him as a guy that can play anywhere from midfield/wing/half-forward/deep forward.  Stylistic, the comp is a less-talented more blue collar Colin Sylvia.

His stats in the Northern Knights game need to be taken in context.  It's one of - if not - the best NAB team playing one of the worst.  The Knights best players are bottom agers, one Caddy, their most highly-touted player is a key forward prospect so out of the game.  The other two Alex D'arro  (an extremely light  outside wing/half back distributor) and Will Green (16yo ruck) are talented but overwhelmed.  The Power have their own equivalent of bottom agers, plus a handful of draft prospects for this year including Humphrey.

For what it's worth I think Konstanty is their best AFL prospect.  He's a classy player but a touch small and  I like the way  Cooper Vickery goes about his work as a Trent Rivers type third or fourth tallest back.   I'd be surprised if he isn't drafted or rookied and he doesn't get mentioned a lot.

The star of the day was Zane Duursma though.  On his game on the weekend, even taking into the account the opposition, he has thrust his name into very high draft pick calculation next year.  A very, very good player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Morning Chaser, yes he goes to school with my oldest (who is in the year group below) I have seen him play over the last two seasons and really been impressed with him. He played all of last season at CHB and stood out to me as a good 3rd tall with game awareness, strong hands and really good rebound defender.  
Saw him play seniors for East Perth earlier in the season and he had no issues with the bigger bodies.  This season he’s spent a lot more time running through the middle and really began moving up the draft boards. Woey is the midfield coach at Wesley and he’s really pushed for Ginbey to play more through the middle. Tim Lamb came to watch him earlier in the season, big crowd there vs Scotch on Saturday so whether Tim was there again I’m not sure.  He’ll be a good player, not a superstar but just has that competitive nature and work ethic, does the basics well

I have him going pick 6 In my current mock Pennant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, IvanBartul13 said:

I have him going pick 6 In my current mock Pennant.

I dont have him going that high, I think his teammate Jedd Busslinger will be the first WA boy selected.  Be interesting to see how he finishes the season, he has 2 school games left , with East Perth sitting out of finals contention with just an outside chance of making it .

Their Colts are currently sitting 3rd and should be safe, but they have a tough run home with 4 games against other contenders.

He will be able to play their last 3 H & A games. By that stage the seniors may be out of contention and a good finals series May see him go top 10

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

AFL Draft - August Power Rankings: Son-of-a-gun back on top of the class

Knightmare has installed everybody’s favourite Will Ashcroft back on top of his power rankings and no wonder. He’s a prolific ball winner, never lets you down and would walk into most AFL teams right now if it were possible. The Brisbane Lions are going to have to accumulate plenty of points to secure him.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Thanks IB13. Do you have a rough sketch of your current mock.  Do you have Cadman in your top 10? 

Brisbane Lions Will Ashcroft
North Melbourne  Aaron Cadman
West Coast Eagles George Wardlaw
GWS  Elijah Tsatas
Adelaide Harry Sheezel
Essendon Reuben Ginbey
Hawthorn  Jhye Clark
Port Adelaide Cameron MacKenzie
Gold Coast Jedd Busslinger
Western Bulldogs Josh Weddle
Richmond Matthew Jefferson
St Kilda Elijah Hewitt
Carlton Brayden George
Fremantle Mattaes Phillipou
Sydney Oli Hotton
Collingwood Harry Barnett
Sydney Isaac Keeler
Geelong Sam Gilbey
Brisbane Lions Jaspa Fletcher
Richmond Oliver Hollands
West Coast Eagles Bailey Humphrey
GWS  Jacob Konstanty
Adelaide Archie Lovelock
Essendon Henry Hustwaite
Hawthorn  Noah Long
Adelaide Max Michelanney
Gold Coast Lachlan Cowan
West Coast Eagles Rohan MacNeill
St Kilda Jakob Ryan
GWS  Harry Rowston
Western Bulldogs Felix Fogaty
Richmond Cooper Vickery
Carlton Harry Lemmey
Gold Coast Coby Burgiel
Sydney Oscar Murdoch
Fremantle Jasper Scaife
Gold Coast Tom Scully
Melbourne  Jackson Broadbent
Essendon Alwyn Davey
Geelong Adam D'aloia
Western Bulldogs Hudson O'Keefe
West Coast Eagles Darcy Jones
Melbourne  Jovan Petric
Collingwood Lewis Hayes
Gold Coast Mitch Szybkowski
St Kilda Pheonix Foster
Collingwood Toby McMullin
Collingwood  Kobe Ryan
Geelong Olivier Northam
Port Adelaide James Van Es
Hawthorn  Max Knobel
Geelong Charlie Clarke
Melbourne  Hugh Bond
North Melbourne  Blake Drury
Melbourne  Finn Emile-Brennan
West Coast Eagles Harry Cole
GWS  Dane Harvey
Port Adelaide Nathan Barkla
Essendon  Anthony Munkara
Adelaide Jaiden Magor
Hawthorn  Ben Hempel
St Kilda Beau Tedcastle
Western Bulldogs Darcy Edmonds
GWS  Luke Lawrence
Carlton  Tom McCallum
Fremantle Jonti Schuback
Brisbane Lions Jack Manly
Melbourne  Ryan Eyres
North Melbourne  Luke Teal
West Coast Eagles Jed Adams
Port Adelaide Nick Sadler
St Kilda Jaxon Binns
North Melbourne  Caleb Mitchell

Early First Round for next year -

1. Zane Duursma

2. Ashton Moir

3. Harley Reid

4. Archer Reid

5. Nick Watson

6. Mitchell Edwards

7. Alex Holt

8. Logan Morris

9. Luca Slade

10. Will Green

11. Clay Hall

12. Colby McKercher

13. Nate Caddy

14. Jed Walter

15. Coby James

16. Nathan Philactides

17. Ethan Read

18. Coen Livingstone

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 1

Thanks for that @IvanBartul13  interesting you have Cadman going so early. Probably well out of our reach even if we get good picks for Jackson. For a draft that was called the land of giants there doesn’t seem to be a lot of key forwards. 
Hows does next years draft look for Big forwards?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChaserJ said:

Thanks for sharing your mock @IvanBartul13, great stuff.

It’s not until you see the 2023 names on paper that you start to get an idea of just how stacked next year’s crop is looking at this stage. Reid, Duursma & Moir, phwoar!

Jack Delean caught my eye as well in the championships. Certainly looks an impressive group next year.

• Like 1

@IvanBartul13 thanks IB13.  Dees likely only take 3 picks given we mightn’t have a lot of player turnover. Of course it all shifts if Jacko moves west.
Interesting and agree that the Kangas should be bold and grab Cadman. They’ve got the Mids in JHF (? Future), LDU, Simpkin, Powell, Phillips and Curtis. They need a key forward alongside Larkey. 

• Like 1