Jump to content

GRAND FINAL: Demonland's Best/Favourite Demon 1988-2020 - Lyon vs Neitz


Grand Final  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Darkhorse72 said:

While Neeld tried to crack the soft culture and that was his initial pitch I imagine, simple he did not have the skills to do it.  Though there was massive problems with the culture.

You can only pus the players as far as they trust you, he had no trust, he hadn't earned it yet.

Neeld trying to change the Mfc culture is like the Liberals under economic John Hewson arguing for the GST...and losing that election.

Hewson needed all the support his team could give him,  to carry the right decisions through.   He did not get enough team support to do the job that needed doing.  And it all fell apart.

 

Similarly,  Neeld was on his way to crushing what we all know was a lousy culture,  and a lazy playing list that was happy to take the money for little.  He barely got started,  and they failed to Back hIm up,  with his attack on the sour culture which we all endured.

The truth is we will never know what he could have achieved,  because everyone panicked when the playing group bucked up a pulled that 186 stunt.

 

This showed how much the tail was already wagging the dog. And no wonder why we could not develop our young players. With a culture like that.

 

We failed to develop most kids from the mid/late 90's,   Trapper just one.  Mclean, Sylvia, Bate...  A huge lack of discipline and healthy culture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 12:36 AM, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Neeld trying to change the Mfc culture is like the Liberals under economic John Hewson arguing for the GST...and losing that election.

Hewson needed all the support his team could give him,  to carry the right decisions through.   He did not get enough team support to do the job that needed doing.  And it all fell apart.

 

Similarly,  Neeld was on his way to crushing what we all know was a lousy culture,  and a lazy playing list that was happy to take the money for little.  He barely got started,  and they failed to Back hIm up,  with his attack on the sour culture which we all endured.

The truth is we will never know what he could have achieved,  because everyone panicked when the playing group bucked up a pulled that 186 stunt.

 

This showed how much the tail was already wagging the dog. And no wonder why we could not develop our young players. With a culture like that.

 

We failed to develop most kids from the mid/late 90's,   Trapper just one.  Mclean, Sylvia, Bate...  A huge lack of discipline and healthy culture.

For the record Daniher 98-06 made 2 prelims in 98, 2000 inc GF along with finals 02,04,05,06. Not sure if you haven't developed your list you would play in 6 final series. Club fell apart in 07 with mounting debts followed by poor appointments across all footy depts inc CEO, President inc coaches, tanking saga screwed our culture, poor recruitment inc development & finally Neeld!

Edited by Hogan2014
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

For the record Daniher 98-06 made 2 prelims in 98, 2000 inc GF along with finals 02,04,05,06. Not sure if you haven't developed your list you would play in 6 final series. Club fell apart in 07 with mounting debts followed by poor appointments across all footy depts inc CEO, President inc coaches, tanking saga screwed our culture, poor recruitment inc development & finally Neeld!

Of course we did,  make finals...  we've made finals many times since md8's.   So you think we cannot get to that point on talent alone, even with poor culture.?

Do you think a more talented team can be beaten by a more disciplined unit,  in finals and grand finals.?

 

The issue with Mfc in the early 90's,  was we had a lot of talent,  but weak on culture side,  and this is why we didn't win silverware. 

Moving thru the 90's, our ability to develop our young recruits dropped away,  and continued to be an issue thru the early 2000's.  Until we just ran out of natural talent.   And faced a whole list rebuild.

We failed to develop our kids to be their best,  and they only developed to their natural level, which they could have done at suburban footy.  And attitudes that let the slacken off when they felt like it.  Lack of Pro attitudes.

 

We witnessed much of this self oriented attitudes thru the 2000's,  which eventually really showed out when  '186'  happened along.  This is an attitude that blames others for the teams woes,  rather than each individual taking their responsibilities as serious as they can do.   None of the players were without blame of that action.  As were the top admins, equally to blame via their preceding actions.

But that was coming on slowly,  for over 10Yrs of mismanagement.  The club had been a mess for ages, but where trading on talents from the 90's decade.

The development of the 2000's recruits was the worst since the early 90's.

.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Of course we did,  make finals...  we've made finals many times since md8's.   So you think we cannot get to that point on talent alone, even with poor culture.?

Do you think a more talented team can be beaten by a more disciplined unit,  in finals and grand finals.?

 

The issue with Mfc in the early 90's,  was we had a lot of talent,  but weak on culture side,  and this is why we didn't win silverware. 

Moving thru the 90's, our ability to develop our young recruits dropped away,  and continued to be an issue thru the early 2000's.  Until we just ran out of natural talent.   And faced a whole list rebuild.

We failed to develop our kids to be their best,  and they only developed to their natural level, which they could have done at suburban footy.  And attitudes that let the slacken off when they felt like it.  Lack of Pro attitudes.

 

We witnessed much of this self oriented attitudes thru the 2000's,  which eventually really showed out when  '186'  happened along.  This is an attitude that blames others for the teams woes,  rather than each individual taking their responsibilities as serious as they can do.   None of the players were without blame of that action.  As were the top admins, equally to blame via their preceding actions.

But that was coming on slowly,  for over 10Yrs of mismanagement.  The club had been a mess for ages, but where trading on talents from the 90's decade.

The development of the 2000's recruits was the worst since the early 90's.

.

Don't disagree  the issue with the club especially after the failed merger is that Hawks actually developed long term strategies both off & on the field & really professionalised  their club from a financial view to getting a proper home training base. The MFC continued with band aid choices always trying to stay afloat hence poor appointments across the footy dept & look its 2020 & still no home base. I believe Daniher once said they to train with witches hats for goal posts across multiple training grounds! How he got the team to play finals is amazing! Whilst Collingwood snapped up the old glass house Olympic Park!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

The MFC continued with band aid choices always trying to stay afloat hence poor appointments across the footy dept & look its 2020 & still no home base. I believe Daniher once said they to train with witches hats for goal posts across multiple training grounds! How he got the team to play finals is amazing! Whilst Collingwood snapped up the old glass house Olympic Park!!!!

IMO, backed up by really poor results over my lifetime, is from the very top, we've had a going nowhere attitude.  (apart for Richard Seddons time at the top)...  where things were being truly taken on. 

But he 'RS',  left the post too soon,  when momentum was just picking up..  possibly he was Too optimistic a person,  and thought things would continue to grow.  We needed a few of his ilk at the same time,   driving the club forward.

Most other times,  it seems an attitude of  "business as usual",  was near enough for most of our Boards...   lack of vision.   I believe it seems that a total lack of vision was used across decades.

I imagine that this lacking vision was the conservative ideal of having everything we ever dreamed of within the  'G'...  every board members dream  (rubbing elbows at the 'G')  to overcome their Boredom.

 

In this way,  I believe we cannot trust future boards,  Not to be infected by the same inactive virus caused by the love of the 'G'... 

 

IMO, we need our Home base like this Mfc needs a pair of Balls... to give it direction,  moving forward/up-ward.  Lets stop sitting to 'P'...

The Homebase complete with Boardroom,  will Establish Our own Identity once and for-all. 

Thats the first.  Then  Our boards directors,  will change nature IMO.   More directors will be elected,  who love the Mfclub, more than the status of the 'G'...and will be making better footy type decisions, operating from our HomeBase. 

It will become more a Footy club,  rather than a Hybrid,  of Mcc and simply  'G' patronage.

 

For We are the mighty Dees...  not the Mcc's,  and not the mighty 'G's_

.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Garry was more influential in his games. He had a bigger impact in games earlier in his career. Neitz was no slouch but he really started to be more impactful from 96.

Garry was moved on the ball when the game was in the balance, and he was very effective as a pinch hitter.

David was moved to the backline when we needed to stem the flow, but he was most valuable as a forward target - decoy or prime.

Garry's back ruined his last years and David was only majorly impacted in his last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    DEMONLAND 2020 A TO Z by George on the Outer

    A- Alice Springs. Happy hunting ground.     B- Backline. Finally found the non-leaking version.   C- Cairns & Covid. How a season was ruined.    D- Demonland. Mental Health facility run by the inmates.   E- The grade you get when you don’t make F- F- Finals. What are they? G- Goals. Lack of them. Need a forward who can kick them….lots! H- Hub. Where players got to live with people you can’t stand. I- Injuries. Miracle cure provided by Dr. Burgess.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVE THE DOGS A BONE by George on the Outer

    The winner of the game is in the top eight and the loser out. Had Melbourne won, it would have consigned the Bulldogs season to the scrapheap given their remaining fixture which still includes a bye. The Demons led at half-time but they gave the Dogs a bone which was willingly accepted — they notched 6 goals in the third quarter and dumped the Demons out of the eight. This game simply saw all the bad habits return for Melbourne players.  When they serve up dinky kicks, dinky handballs, litt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...