Worst selection of 2018

martin

17 minutes ago, Skuit said:

It may be absolutely true that you were told something. This doesn't make what you were told absolutely true. However, I haven't been told anything by anyone and still know full well what you've been told is utter nonsense. 

You can do better than this LH. The frank meeting wasn't a footballing matter - it was an attitude issue. Gus was being a sook. Goodwin may have considered it best for Brayshaw's development to let him figure this out on his own. 

17 minutes ago, Skuit said:

It may be absolutely true that you were told something. This doesn't make what you were told absolutely true. However, I haven't been told anything by anyone and still know full well what you've been told is utter nonsense. 

You can do better than this LH. The frank meeting wasn't a footballing matter - it was an attitude issue. Gus was being a sook. Goodwin may have considered it best for Brayshaw's development to let him figure this out on his own. 

Figure it out on his own?

Doesn't every worker need feedback? Success criteria? 

39 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Given that 'attitude' seems a perennial problem for our players and Goodwin is so strong on the 'right behaviours' I would have thought prompt feedback on these non-football matters would be critical to a player's development. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jumbo returns said:

Figure it out on his own?

Doesn't every worker need feedback? Success criteria? 

Angus was having a sook about not being selected. Even those at Casey commented on it. Goody may have felt that it was important for Brayshaw's personal development to reflect on why he wasn't being selected and adjust his attitude. Other posters are insinuating that our players are receiving no feedback at all - which is just out and out nonsense as a smear on Goodwin. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skuit said:

Angus was having a sook about not being selected. Even those at Casey commented on it. Goody may have felt that it was important for Brayshaw's personal development to reflect on why he wasn't being selected and adjust his attitude. Other posters are insinuating that our players are receiving no feedback at all - which is just out and out nonsense as a smear on Goodwin. 

And you said Goodwin thought it best for him to 'work it out' by himself...which is it? Do you know?

58 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Fair point.

So how do you know if a coach can coach when there are so many hours within the club that you never see ?

I don’t. And I never said Goodwin can’t coach because I don’t know if he can or can’t. I can see glaring problems, we all can. I’m waiting to see if he can fix them and have questioned why they haven’t been fixed yet.

I know things don’t take a minute. It takes a long time to get structures right. What does annoy me is that Goodwin took a defensive team and turned it so far into an attacking team, without really having the weapons to do so. Without outside leg speed, without enough top users of the footy, and without a cohesive forward line. I know you’ll say we’ve kicked plenty of goals, and we have, but we’ve beaten up on weak teams that we could destroy in clearances. This is not a safe game plan, because good teams don’t let you destroy them in clearances and contested ball.

We can all see our problems. I know Goodwin can too. But we are supporters, we can’t do [censored] to fix the situation. I hope he and the other coaches can, before another season is wasted. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, waynewussell said:

1 Petty was not ready... but he is far from skinny

2 Many have been calling for Bernie's head for some time. He was missed today and he is far from finished! Congratulations to him for going back to Casey and playing very well. He has a strong competitive character... something sorely missed today.

3 Petracca lifted, not to match-winning levels, but he gave it everything

4 Hogan lifted (see 3) his 3 goals were a big improvement from his past few games

5 Stretch must come in next week... Petty, Hannon, Tyson on shaky ground

I think you’ll find that people were correctly saying you couldn’t play Vince & Lewis in the same 22 and as Vince had certainly been the least effective, he had to go. 

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

Where were all you “clearly not ready” geniuses on Thursday?

He had a horrible game, no doubt about that. He had his confidence crushed when he got outmarked in the first contest with Battle - that just lead to a death spiral of mistakes. That miskick was the sort of error that AFL players only make when they’ve been broken. 

I highly doubt that’s the sort of form he showed in the VFL though. He had his confidence shot in that first contest. It could have just as easily gone the other way.

You have got to be kidding. There have been so many of us pushing up for Frost or Keilty over Petty.  I would have even tried Weed at CHB before Petty if I could get him the right opponent to try and get Weed a different look at it.  So many of us have been saying Petty looks like a Player but, 20 to 30 games at Casey away.  

20 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

And you said Goodwin thought it best for him to 'work it out' by himself...which is it? Do you know?

I'm not sure what you're getting at Jumbo. 

I know nothing about what has occurred other than what Brayshaw has related.

Other posters were trying to spin it as if our players are completely in the dark about what they need to do to improve. 

This is a nasty falsehood. 

There was however an attitude element of Brayshaw's non-selection that Goodwin didn't address directly.

Angus was behaving like a petulant child. 

I speculated that Goodwin may have felt it better to let Gus come to the conclusion himself that he needed to grow up. 

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CelebratingJade said:

No mention of Weideman here

Am I missing something... ?

He still looks miles away from being a senior footballer

I hope Weideman is not going to be our Aaron Fiora. Imagine if we’d called Charlie Curnow’s name instead. 

4 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at Jumbo. 

I know nothing about what has occurred other than what Brayshaw has related.

Other posters were trying to spin it as if our players are completely in the dark about what they need to do to improve. 

This is a nasty falsehood. 

There was however an attitude element of Brayshaw's non-selection that Goodwin didn't address directly.

Angus was behaving like a petulant child. 

I speculated that Goodwin may have felt it better to let Gus come to the conclusion himself that he needed to grow up. 

If, big if, he is not communicating with his players, I believe he will lose them

I know for a fact that he nearly lost them six weeks ago

11 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

If, big if, he is not communicating with his players, I believe he will lose them

I know for a fact that he nearly lost them six weeks ago

The week we beat Carlton by 109 points?

He did something to lose the entire playing group?

5 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Yep

You'll need to give more than that JR.

Everything published indicates Goodwin is a big communicator: He doesn't have an office (sits out in the open to make sure he is part of the team and part of the casual chats), he was definitely the "good guy" when Paul Roos was around. 

It's a big accusation to throw around without putting substance on the table. 

We also went on to have 2 big wins the next 2 rounds, so it feels unlikely that anything he did had an impact on footy.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 2

Just now, deanox said:

You'll need to give more than that JR.

Everything published indicates Goodwin is a big communicator: He doesn't have an office (sits out in the open to make sure he is part of the team and part of the casual chats), he was definitely the "good guy" when Paul Roos was around. 

It's a big accusation to throw around without putting substance on the table. 

I did deanox....ages ago

4 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

Mitch Hannan getting selected 5 weeks in a row after inept performances is puzzling

Petracca very lucky

Agree, Hannan has been atrocious for weeks, he needs a stint at Casey

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

There's the selections for the game and then also selections for roles within the game. This is my take on our side at the moment and where we struggled today:

1) Jack Viney is a midfield weapon, not a tagger! When did Goodwin get the idea that our number 1 mid (still most influential when up and going) should be doing a negating role? It beggars belief and we are shooting ourselves in the footy even before the ball is bounced! If we want to play a hard tag every week why not bring Bugg in for that role? He's got a big tank and loves niggle. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

2) There is no point playing guys who are 'in form' out of position, as they will just find themselves out of form. Dom Tyson is not a wingman, he's an inside mid. If there is no room for him in the engine room then he must bide his time at Casey. We were wayyyyyy to slow on transition today and he is not up to it in that position. 

This!

P.S. I'm as pro a Dom supporter as anyone is here

Goodwin made the most worst selection ever Petty shouldn't have played was thrown to the wolves Goody must be stopped!!!!!

Meanwhile, over in the Changes vs. Freo thread . . . 

We need more speed. 

IN: Baker

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, martin said:

Totally believe it as it would be easier for Goodwin and co. to avoid situations they could not possibly explain i.e Frost,Stretch.

Frost, Stretch and Garlett or Spargo  MUST be picked next week and Petty, Tyson and Hannan out or the microwave is awaiting my membership card