• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A Day at the Races

Toorak

3 minutes ago, binman said:

I don't back futures as a rule, but thought about backing it for the derby before this  race. But clean forgot today.

Win made more impressive by humma humma's win as that showed there is no leader's bias  

And if 'Thought Of That' wins the Derby it might be the last time we see the horse.  Although the Colts that win the Derby sometimes continue on to at least the Autumn carnival in Sydney to contest the Derby's up there.

Stud value wins out a lot of the time though.  'Shadow Hero' is a bit of a swooper so we may see a classic finish with both horses involved.

And they just ran 2 seconds slower in the fillies 2000m race just completed.  That's about 30 metres (12 lengths) And you've noted that Linda Meech stacked them up a bit on 'Thought Of That' 

It should be noted that 'Shadow Hero' ran a very slick time in winning the G1 Champion Stakes last week (2000m)

'Yes Yes Yes' wins the Everest.  Glen Boss again on board.  Wonder how Darren Weir is feeling right now!  (he formerly trained the horse)

At $9 starting price there was some money for the horse too (not mine of course) The 3yo prevails.  Trecking backed up brilliantly so that Schillaci Stakes lead up was certainly no impediment.  Beat a lot of good horses home.

Track record too ... 01:07.32.  That's fast!

Plenty of horses disappointed but it was a crack field and they ran the time.  Santa Ana Lane brave in defeat but all honours to the fastest horse in the land

Yes Yes Yes! 

What a horse!

• Like 3

Hi guys

wondering if any of you know how the international betting rights market is split up.

Take the Caulfield Cup. We run it at 5:15 local time to maximise Asian interest. Okay sale of broadcast rights I understand but do the Australian racing clubs get a share of what is bet at Happy Valley etc

Many thanks and happy punting !

• Like 1

And now the 9yo Happy Clapper wins the Craven Plate in a brave front-running effort.  Gutsy move by Tommy Berry to take the horse to the front early too.  Fought like a lion to the line.

There's hope for Hartnell (9yo) yet!  Caulfield Cup up in 10 minutes. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

And now the 9yo Happy Clapper wins the Craven Plate in a brave front-running effort.  Gutsy move by Tommy Berry to take the horse to the front early too.  Fought like a lion to the line.

There's hope for Hartnell (9yo) yet!  Caulfield Cup up in 10 minutes. 

I normally like putting a few bob on Hartnell and have it’s last few races, haven’t today so prob a Monty to win ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

I normally like putting a few bob on Hartnell and have it’s last few races, haven’t today so prob a Monty to win ?

The good bit is that if you get a collect it will pay ok.  Or really well for the right choices.

Big fields,  big pools,  big payouts

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Started well with Etreme Pride in the first.

@macca, I like Mer and Vow, reckon Mer is a better chance but thought I’d take both.

In the Everest I went Aizee.

4 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Had $5 left on my voucher so I dropped it each way on Mirage Dancer, for some reason each time I looked at the race the name popped out at me.

didn’t think to put all on a trifecta... that was dumb.

• Shocked 2

6 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

didn’t think to put all on a trifecta... that was dumb.

Did something similar but got 2 decent collects.  Got the winner and exacta but didn't extend to the trifecta & F4. Shouda Couda Wouda. 

Ah well,  can't complain.  In front for the day now with a bit to come. 

But as Clint mentioned above,  Lane rode Mer de Glace perfectly.  Helps when you're on the best horse in the race.  Did it easy really.

A bit of a rough race but Mer De Glace just cruised at the back and then went whoosho.  A class above at the weights.  Looks a Group 1 horse to me but only carried 55.5kgs.

Lane rode it like it was always going to win.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

2nd last and 8-10 wide around the home turn....Quite a run by M de G

As they say rode him like he was the best horse in the race. Kept him out of trouble and trusted his ability to run over the top of him.

Our middle distance and up hoses are hopeless when compared to the best European and Japanese horses. Ans the Japanese horses are brilliantly suited to our racing because unlike most European horses they can run slow then accelerate and the end of distance races

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, binman said:

As they say rode him like he was the best horse in the race. Kept him out of trouble and trusted his ability to run over the top of him.

Our middle distance and up hoses are hopeless when compared to the best European and Japanese horses. Ans the Japanese horses are brilliantly suited to our racing because unlike most European horses they can run slow then accelerate and the end of distance races

I agree BM  and because of our prizemoney the imported horses will continue to come here and they might come over earlier and/or in the Autumn. Many horses are now being imported on a permanent basis.  For instance ... Hartnell is a horse from the UK.

With Winx off the scene any of our races further than 1600m are ripe for the plucking. 

If we want to win the middle distance races and staying races with home grown talent it's up to the Australian owners & Trainers to find a way to produce our own

We need horses like 'Shadow Hero' & 'Thought Of That' x 20 or 30.  At least. 

'Shadow Hero' was sired by 'Pierro' and 'Thought Of That' by 'So You Think' but we need more quality stallions that can produce more quality stayers.

But a lot of our feature races are run over 1000m up to 1600m so where's the incentive?  I enjoy watching the distance races but I'd prefer it there were more home grown winners. 

I just back the imported horses these days because it's the only smart way to punt.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Managed to get the tri on the Cup by standing out Mer and Constantinople for first. Somehow i managed to leave out Con for 4th in my FF. Oh well.

Constantinople was the run of the race i thought and i immediately got on for the Melbourne Cup.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Managed to get the tri on the Cup by standing out Mer and Constantinople for first. Somehow i managed to leave out Con for 4th in my FF. Oh well.

Constantinople was the run of the race i thought and i immediately got on for the Melbourne Cup.

Well done Wadda!  Outstanding dividend all things considered.  Hope you got a decent percentage (or more)

I've watched both races a few times (Everest included) and I'm just blown away at how both winners won.  Always one to appreciate excellence.

'Yes Yes Yes' is the story though.  It's the sort of thing that happens in Europe for 3yo's.

A Star is Born (but for how long?)

Because the Everest is not an official Group1 race the connections may have to race it on to maximise it's value at stud.  But that may not matter when considering how commanding a performance it was. 

To beat that field the way it did was something else.  Amazing!  Track record to boot. We witnessed a fantastic 3/4 Mile.  The Everest is on the map,  good and proper.

And the doubt I had (even though I backed it) on 'Mer' in the Cup was the barrier.  But it was a walk in the park.  Money for old rope.  Way too good.

Will watch the race again for your take on Constantinople. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Brilliant staying performance by Mer. Well done to the ‘landers that were on it.

Was on Constantinople and it put in a real eye catcher for the Melbourne Cup. Watched the replay and read the stewards report so no bias kicks in before judgement. It was unlucky but you make your own luck in this game. Should be a quality two weeks coming up.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Brilliant staying performance by Mer. Well done to the ‘landers that were on it.

Was on Constantinople and it put in a real eye catcher for the Melbourne Cup. Watched the replay and read the stewards report so no bias kicks in before judgement. It was unlucky but you make your own luck in this game. Should be a quality two weeks coming up.

In the U.S.A "Mer De Glace' would have almost certainly been disqualified as it cut across runners in the straight before it was clear.  But they have more stringent rules over there.  The actual racing is far cleaner over there as a result.

But over here the luck can often run your way when winning.  As it stands Lane copped a suspension but the $150k winning percentage (plus sling) will sweeten things and more than cover the $20k fine.  And the punters (including myself) collect. 

Beau Mertons & Michael Dee also copped suspensions from the race.  But the same thing happens a lot in these big races (with crowded fields)  It stands to reason that jockeys are going to take chances.  You win some,  you lose some.

The jockey on 'Best Solution' last year (Patrick Cosgrove) copped a suspension despite the horse winning the race. 

The only real detterent for riders taking undue risks would be to bring in more stringent penalties (like in the U.S.A) ... but that won't be happening in a hurry DZ.

So it will be more of the same where some of the winning punters will feel they've got some payback whilst others will feel aggrieved.  That's racing.

• Like 2

And there's some good racing today with 2 feature events up at Sha Tin along with the Horsham Cup (R6) and Seymour Cup (R7)

And Race 7 at Horsham & Race 8 at Seymour both carry prizemoney of $100k and that's good coin for Sunday country racing.  They race for $200k in the Seymour Cup.

But I'm watching those races only but will have a couple of bets at Sha Tin in the 2 feature events.

In race 3 at Sha Tin (The Premier Bowl) Pakistan Star & Full Of Beauty should fight out the finish whilst in race 8 (Sha Tin Trophy) Beauty Generation should win from Waikuku & Rise High with Ka Ying Star & Southern Legend running on.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Macca said:

In race 8 (Sha Tin Trophy) Beauty Generation should win from Waikuku & Rise High with Ka Ying Star & Southern Legend running on.

Well the champ* (Beauty Generation) got beaten.  It's no Winx!  Had every chance (once it got out) but got run down. 

Rise High won from Waikuku,   Beauty Generation and then Ka Ying Star & Southern Legend.  They ran 01:32.82 for the mile.  Very slick.  

Exotics paid quite well accordingly.  More so the exacta & F4.

*Another champion race horse in Stradivarius lost out as well last night at Champions Day (Royal Ascot)  Track was a bog though so it had excuses. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Macca said:

Well done Wadda!  Outstanding dividend all things considered.  Hope you got a decent percentage (or more)

I've watched both races a few times (Everest included) and I'm just blown away at how both winners won.  Always one to appreciate excellence.

'Yes Yes Yes' is the story though.  It's the sort of thing that happens in Europe for 3yo's.

A Star is Born (but for how long?)

Because the Everest is not an official Group1 race the connections may have to race it on to maximise it's value at stud.  But that may not matter when considering how commanding a performance it was. 

To beat that field the way it did was something else.  Amazing!  Track record to boot. We witnessed a fantastic 3/4 Mile.  The Everest is on the map,  good and proper.

And the doubt I had (even though I backed it) on 'Mer' in the Cup was the barrier.  But it was a walk in the park.  Money for old rope.  Way too good.

Will watch the race again for your take on Constantinople. 

I really dont get that? Top quality field of the best sprinters in the land at one of the best tracks in the land with the whole country watching. Why dont they just make it a group 1?

It also makes it hard when you read the form and a horse has won +6m rubbles but only won a few races without winning hardly any grp races. Doesnt really add up sort of thing.

5 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I really dont get that? Top quality field of the best sprinters in the land at one of the best tracks in the land with the whole country watching. Why dont they just make it a group 1?

It also makes it hard when you read the form and a horse has won +6m rubbles but only won a few races without winning hardly any grp races. Doesnt really add up sort of thing.

All the State bodies have to vote a race like the Everest into Group status and the word is that Racing Victoria won't agree.  The individual States control most things horse racing.

Which in turn only strengthens the resolve of Racing NSW and Peter V'landys. 

But things could change if RV want the All Star Mile to have Group status.  The other big race without group status (that hasn't even been run yet) is the Golden Eagle ($7.5Million)  The inaugural running of the Golden Eagle happens on Derby Day.  But I believe it will be an immediate success.

For those not in the know the Golden Eagle is for 4yo's only and is run over the distance of 1500m.  Currently Arcadia Queen & Brutal are equal favourites (3-1) for the inaugural running of the race.  And they run for $7.5Million.

And I reckon Racing Victoria might create another couple of big races in the Autumn.  They've already started to do so with the All Star Mile to be run the week after the Australian Cup/Newmarket Hcp.  Not sure they'll extend into Autumn like NSW has done with the Spring but a bigger program within our Autumn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Macca said:

All the State bodies have to vote a race like the Everest into Group status and the word is that Racing Victoria won't agree.  The individual States control most things horse racing.

Which in turn only strengthens the resolve of Racing NSW and Peter V'landys. 

But things could change if RV want the All Star Mile to have Group status.  The other big race without group status (that hasn't even been run yet) is the Golden Eagle ($7.5Million)  The inaugural running of the Golden Eagle happens on Derby Day.  But I believe it will be an immediate success.

For those not in the know the Golden Eagle is for 4yo's only and is run over the distance of 1500m.  Currently Arcadia Queen & Brutal are equal favourites (3-1) for the inaugural running of the race.  And they run for $7.5Million.

And I reckon Racing Victoria might create another couple of big races in the Autumn.  They've already started to do so with the All Star Mile to be run the week after the Australian Cup/Newmarket Hcp.  Not sure they'll extend into Autumn like NSW has done with the Spring but a bigger program within our Autumn.

Ok, thanks Macca, thats a lot clearer. But i still dont understand the process really. A group 1 is a grp 1 surely because of the grade of horses in the race? Europe has Grp 1 races and i dont think theyre waiting for a green light form Racing Victoria? It seems then it just local politics here, which is bordering on the ridiculous i would have thought.

I didnt know the Golden Eagle was the first time its run either, thanks. Thought i just hadnt noticed it before, haha......7.5 M! Just crazy money hey. We wont have to have any more save MFC raffles.....just go and get a good horse!

1500m is always a strange distance i think.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Ok, thanks Macca, thats a lot clearer. But i still dont understand the process really. A group 1 is a grp 1 surely because of the grade of horses in the race? Europe has Grp 1 races and i dont think theyre waiting for a green light form Racing Victoria? It seems then it just local politics here, which is bordering on the ridiculous i would have thought.

I didnt know the Golden Eagle was the first time its run either, thanks. Thought i just hadnt noticed it before, haha......7.5 M! Just crazy money hey. We wont have to have any more save MFC raffles.....just go and get a good horse!

1500m is always a strange distance i think.

The distance allows horses like Sunlight & Graff to participate.  Sprinter/Milers although I agree Wadda,  1400m would be a much better distance.  Or maybe 1600m.

The final field will be very good though.  Classique Legend,  Kolding & The Inevitable can run as well.  Also Amphitrite & Ten Sovereigns. 

The design allows for the crack 3yo's like Merchant Navy & Autumn Guineas & maybe even Derby* winners to race on into their 4 year old year.  Brutal is another that might have been retired to stud otherwise.  It's a really good idea.

*A Derby or Oaks winner in the Autumn/previous Spring might be able to drop back to the 1500m ... it could be why they decided on that distance.  Horses can go up to the distance or drop back to the distance?

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Geelong Cup to be run on Wednesday (otherwise known as the battle between Ireland & the UK) 

11 horses in the field with 6 from Ireland,  4 from the UK & 1 from France.  No Aussie or NZ bred horses to be seen.

But the $400k in prizemoney on offer would just about attain Group1 status in Eorope.  The Geelong Cup!

• Like 2