Play on, Adam. Play on

Lucifers Hero

I HOPE THE BOOING OF ADAM STOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is my hope. Here is my opinion for what it is worth.

To simply label everyone who boos at Adam a racist, is disingenuous and blatantly wrong.

To hold this view, apparently in the eyes of some, now condemns me to also being labelled a racist.

This has gone completely off the rails, because of the views of fanatics, who cannot see any other view than the one they believe in.

The Swans' president's statement is nothing short of outrageous, inflammatory and totally unhelpful in the situation.

He could have and should have, simply called for an end to the booing as it was hurting Adam and his family, without playing the race card.

Booing has always gone on in football.

Carl Ditterich was booed his whole career, was that because of anti German feeljng? Dipper was booed, anti Italian? etc etc.

All are booed because of how they perform on the ground, or off the ground, if it gets into the public eye.

No other indigenous player is being booed.

Adam was not booed for his whole career until a few things happened, he started sliding into players and hurting them, he started playing for frees, he made a stupid young girl the face of racism nationally, he became very political off the field, with what some see as divisive comments. Then a spear throwing war dance, aimed at the crowd, for which the AFL praised him. Remember that a raised finger to the crowd by most players is an automatic fine.

Why is it not possible that some people now don't like him or disagree with him and show that by booing?

It is certainly IMO far more likely, than he is the one player in the AFL, large sections of the crowd now want to single out in racist behaviour.

All that said, I hope the booing stops and he continues to play, as that is the best thing for football and I think, for him.

Goodsey isn't getting booed for his footy, for bashing an opponent, or for abusing an umpire, or for taking the game into disrepute. like a recent club in red & black has, or a fair haired boy from that club has.

Goodsey is being booed for taking action, an outspoken very public stand for his indigenous races treatment, & lack of respect in & at the hands of this current nation.

Its about time our 'Indig' people, stood up to be counted well & truly.

...... being called an ape from the next generation, is the last straw of trying to get through, the message that they are humans & calling them nigggers, spades, apes and all sorts of derogatory terms is just pathetic, & Adam has done the right thing all along. he is giving his people the belief & the strength to stand & to resist these put downs.

the racism has to stop being passed onto our young...

Edited by dee-luded
  • Like 1

No other indigenous player is being booed.

Adam was not booed for his whole career until a few things happened, he started sliding into players and hurting them, he started playing for frees, he made a stupid young girl the face of racism nationally, he became very political off the field, with what some see as divisive comments. Then a spear throwing war dance, aimed at the crowd, for which the AFL praised him. Remember that a raised finger to the crowd by most players is an automatic fine.

Goodes is the highest profile, most successful indigenous player in the AFL (perhaps in all Aust sports)

Loads of players have staged for frees or slid into players within the rules at the time. See previous posts. Are they all booed incessantly? Brad Green was a classic stager.

He pointed out a spectator yelling racist remarks to him to security, as he rightly should have. That she was questioned by the police or allegedly "made the face of racism nationally" says more about the police, media and the AFL than Goodes. He accepted her apology and asked that the issue move on at a presser shortly after.

He was made AOTY. Big deal, hardly worth booing about. Was his speech divisive? Goodes is outspoken on indigenous issues because he is a high profile Indigenous Australian. Probably more accurate than divisive.

The "spear throwing war dance"... He didn't actually throw a spear. If people are threatened or scared by that, they need to get out more. Note that numerous players have done it since, including Lumumba. The Haka is still ok, right?

Interesting to read Waleed Ally write on the matter. He said something to the effect of Australians on the whole being very tolerant until minorities speak out and talk of injustice, then they are effectively told to shut up and get back in their place.

• Like 6

The booing of Goodes HAD NOT stopped over the past weeks at all. It had not even subsided... if anything it had become worse as the media storm seemed to inflame rather than pacify the offenders.

I'm more sick of the media than Adam Goodes these days!!

• Like 1

Interesting to read Waleed Ally write on the matter. He said something to the effect of Australians on the whole being very tolerant until minorities speak out and talk of injustice, then they are effectively told to shut up and get back in their place.

Here in lies the reason Goodes is boo'd and the other Indigenous players aren't. He dares to stand up and be counted, the others are good little Aboriginal boys playing by White fellas rules.

• Like 1

Love this thread.

Modern Australia, now courtesy of the right (Howard, Hanson, Abbott, Brandis, Bolt, Devine, Alan Jones), allows bigotry as some form of freedom of speech. Still can't work out why the "Haka" is so great, but the emerging Aboriginal war dance is too provocative.

Keating predicted Howard would send us back to the 50's. The white-picket fences, flip toasters, etc.... Many supporters of the right suggest that 1996 was a turning point for our finances. I say it was a turning point for every other aspect of Australian life.

Don't know how this Goodes thing will stop. Sydney supporters throwing eggs might be a bit too far. Maybe standing up at the footy for 10 seconds when someone behind you boos him, might hit the spot a little better.

My prediction is that the AFL/Sydney will use a dead-rubber to stage a total walk-off by players and officials. It will be a win-win without too much damage, and will be a ratings bonanza for the network.

the war dance is Not as aggressive as the HAKA, the real HAKA portrays a fierce band of cannibal warriors, & finishes with slitting of the throat.

....... the war dance is made up, because the Koori don't normally war, but are very gentle under most circumstances, & this may be why they are so put down, & so dis-spirited, as a grand old nation of people, who have had all they're cultures & values so denigrated over 200+ years.

they must fight back NOW, before they lose all they're peoples identities.

Can someone who watched the game last week tell me whether the booing of Goodes started from the 1st minute, or whether it was a reaction to him getting a free kick for staging, and later on not being penalised for a push in the back, and subsequent goal.

The booing of Goodes had stopped over previous weeks, so maybe it was these onfield incidents that reignited the issue.

if, its a re-ignition, then there is an underlying ignorance in peoples minds, of the real issues here, that Adam is so strong about.

the war dance is Not as aggressive as the HAKA, the real HAKA portrays a fierce band of cannibal warriors, & finishes with slitting of the throat.

....... the war dance is made up, because the Koori don't normally war, but are very gentle under most circumstances, & this may be why they are so put down, & so dis-spirited, as a grand old nation of people, who have had all they're cultures & values so denigrated over 200+ years.

they must fight back NOW, before they lose all they're peoples identities.

it also needs to be made up because unlike NZ where the Maouri were essentially one nation, Australia was split into over 90 different 'nations'. Each nation had its own language and culture that was similar to their neighbor but most likely unrecognizable to people form the other side of the continent. This means they couldn't pick up a single war dance that resonates across the continent, hence the need to make up a new one.

• Like 1

I don't want us to 'agree to disagree' and 'get on with it.'

I want people to reflect on why they boo this bloke. If it is staging for free kicks then great, you can stop any time now...

If it is because of what he did to that poor little racist girl, or the fact that he won AOTY, or for elegantly explaining why Invasion Day is a torrid time for some people in his community - then we have a problem.

And I don't want to let these sleeping dogs lie, I want to expose them - let them bark and then get those that stand beside these racially confused people to listen to them and abandon them.

Because, I am sorry to say, there are some good people standing beside some horrid people.

• Like 9

For those upset that they can't boo a player they don't like, remember that it is the racists who took it away from you.

What was once your own private booing habit has been taken over by racists and turned into a symbol of racial disdain.

It sucks, but make sure you are angry at the right people.

• Like 6

I don't want us to 'agree to disagree' and 'get on with it.'

I want people to reflect on why they boo this bloke. If it is staging for free kicks then great, you can stop any time now...

If it is because of what he did to that poor little racist girl, or the fact that he won AOTY, or for elegantly explaining why Invasion Day is a torrid time for some people in his community - then we have a problem.

And I don't want to let these sleeping dogs lie, I want to expose them - let them bark and then get those that stand beside these racially confused people to listen to them and abandon them.

Because, I am sorry to say, there are some good people standing beside some horrid people.

Perfect summation.

People are tired of the booing.

People are tired of being labelled racist at the drop of a hat.

People are sick of being told how to think/what to believe.

Tired of symbolism .

I like Adam Goodes ,as I have stated before and think people dislike him for making football political.

Whether or not he meant to.

I also understand the views of people who resent being labelled racist by idiots.

Mundine is a similar figure of derision ,not due only to race.

• Like 1

it also needs to be made up because unlike NZ where the Maouri were essentially one nation, Australia was split into over 90 different 'nations'. Each nation had its own language and culture that was similar to their neighbor but most likely unrecognizable to people form the other side of the continent. This means they couldn't pick up a single war dance that resonates across the continent, hence the need to make up a new one.

gotta pick you up there chris

the maori were not one nation. they were a collection of a large number of violently warring tribes who cannibalized and enslaved each other regularly

the treaty of waitangi had to be signed by 500 different tribal chiefs because they were unable and unwilling to elect a single group or leader to represent them

the maori were not one nation. they were a collection of a large number of violently warring tribes who cannibalized and enslaved each other regularly

the treaty of waitangi had to be signed by 500 different tribal chiefs because they were unable and unwilling to elect a single group or leader to represent them

And there were over 400 aboriginal groupings or mobs (nations is not an appropriate term) before the arrival of the "white man".

For those upset that they can't boo a player they don't like, remember that it is the racists who took it away from you.

What was once your own private booing habit has been taken over by racists and turned into a symbol of racial disdain.

booing IS NOT the issue here... booing is OK, & booing has its benefits, like players getting in the old vernacular, being 'Cleaned Up '... for being a sniper.

now it seems the snipers are shooting from the high spots in the mountains (grandstands).

the real Issue here, is why people are constantly Picking on Adam Goodes .

..... this is a values issue, I feel. & IMO people are feeling they're ways are being attacked, by a former victim.

they felt more for a girl who had a vicious tongue, than generations of downtrodden & abused peoples who are still being held down.

wake up bolt, you manic dolt, & stop putting more fuel onto this racist pyre.

????

They were booing in the stalls when Othello first played.

Not all of them against Iago.

They will boo again.

hardly far enough apart to not understand one anothers language, dc; still playing distractions, instead of putting your views in. your sounding like wrecka.

Fair enough, would you say there is a distinction in a tribe and what was an Aboriginal 'nation', which had tribes within it?

Edited by Chris

People are tired of the booing.

People are tired of being labelled racist at the drop of a hat.

People are sick of being told how to think/what to believe.

Tired of symbolism .

I like Adam Goodes ,as I have stated before and think people dislike him for making football political.

Whether or not he meant to.

I also understand the views of people who resent being labelled racist by idiots.

Mundine is a similar figure of derision ,not due only to race.

Do people dislike Michael Long for that reason? Nicky Winmar? How about Jimmy Toumpas? (He's a multicultural ambassador) Billy Brownless once tried to start a political career, does he get booed everywhere he goes?

hardly far enough apart to not understand one anothers language, dc; still playing distractions, instead of putting your views in. your sounding like wrecka.

?

I have stated my views clearly, many times, if that is what you are accusing me of not doing.

Also, only taking my info from conversations with Indig Australians, my understanding is the language from one 'nation' (Hardtack is right, it is the wrong word but the best we have) to the neighbour would be very similar but slightly different, by the time you went from East Gippsland to the Kimberley there may be some words left, but the language would be for all intents and purposes different. A bit like French to English, there are similarities that mean you may get by but they are different enough to be no where near fluent.

Just explore with your mates why they boo him or don't like him.

Self-reflection is a good thing and if you, or your friends come up with some non-paper thin arguments or veiled racism - kudos to your post-racial dislike of a person.

Have that discussion.

Giving the raspberry to Goode's is inadvertent, you see, your average piece of bogan trash prefer their black men subservient, now here we have an uppity guy, who is smarter, bigger, drives a better car, lives in a bigger house, is a leader, a man that doesn't know his place, he isn't no "Uncle Tom".

The Hird mentality plays a apart, here is someone who is more successful in every way, so the average loser feels he must be brought down a peg.

• Like 1

Now Sydney fans plan to play fowl by throwing eggs at booing fans.

This is eggsactly what I thought would happen. The media needs to stop egging people on.

• Like 1