2015 apparent out of contract players merged with targets at seasons end

MadAsHell

hey TDI, appreciate the reports you have provided and apologies if this has been asked and answered by you in a previous thread. But whats going on with Gawn? Seems like he's such an underwhelming start to the year, Is it a confidence issue or injury concerns as why the lack of form? cheers

No, he has just been out of form, starting to look a bit better last weekend for Casey,, McCartney rides him at training constantly

Not me chap, Roos gave Spencer a 2 year contract, and we still have Jamar and Gawn (who has stalled at the moment, but he can return to form), I just find some of the suggestions hilarious

King, by the way, if we can build him properly has the natural footy ability to be one of the best ruckman MFC has seen in years, big call I know, but reason he was given another year on rookie list

I'd put this down to list management rather than Roos being enamoured with Spencer. Spencer was out of contract last year, and we only had 2 tap ruckmen on our list (Jamar and Spencer). If Spencer put himself on the market, there's every chance that another club would give him a 2 year deal as a back-up ruckman. The FD probably didn't want to go into the market for another tap ruckman last year, so gave Spencer 2 years.

Roos didn't play Spencer in the NAB Cup, which shows how much he rates him.

• Like 1

I believe it was because we rated Jamar more. From my recollection when Jamar went down for most of the year a few years back, Martin absolutely played like he is right now at brisbane, but when jamar was fit the powers that be opted for Jamar being better than Martin (which i still question), hence Jamar came in for martin (whereas brisbane is keeping Leuenburger out and keeping Martin No. 1

There was also a number of alleged personal reasons for Stef Martin leaving, which some have mentioned here in the past, that meant a change of scene was both inevitable and good for him.

The year that Jamar was injured for much of the season and Stef was our no1 ruck should've shown the club the kid can play very well. Another MFC stuff up.

I'd put this down to list management rather than Roos being enamoured with Spencer. Spencer was out of contract last year, and we only had 2 tap ruckmen on our list (Jamar and Spencer). If Spencer put himself on the market, there's every chance that another club would give him a 2 year deal as a back-up ruckman. The FD probably didn't want to go into the market for another tap ruckman last year, so gave Spencer 2 years.

Roos didn't play Spencer in the NAB Cup, which shows how much he rates him.

Love your input, Spencer didn't play in the NAB cup coz he wasn't at the required level of fitness after a couple of issues pre season, same as Terlich and Riley

He also played against Sydney and Roos made a point of saying he went all right

Edited by The Devil Inside

There was also a number of alleged personal reasons for Stef Martin leaving, which some have mentioned here in the past, that meant a change of scene was both inevitable and good for him.

The year that Jamar was injured for much of the season and Stef was our no1 ruck should've shown the club the kid can play very well. Another MFC stuff up.

You have to remember that Martin wasn't getting a game for Brisbane for the 1st half of last year, and if Leuenberger didn't get seriously injured, he may still be playing in the lower leagues. Was anyone saying that it was a MFC stuff up then?

The penny might have dropped for him, and he was basically playing for his AFL career last year.

Love your input, Spencer didn't play in the NAB cup coz he wasn't at the required level of fitness after a couple of issues pre season, same as Terlich and Riley

He also played against Sydney and Roos made a point of saying he went all right

That's just crap. He was named in the squads, which meant that he was available, even if that meant 30% game time. And part of the reason why we have preseason games is to get players match fit for the season proper.

And good for Spencer that Roos said he went all right. He made 2 blunders that cost us goals in the 1st quarter. He's an average footballer, and always will be.

• Like 1

That's just crap. He was named in the squads, which meant that he was available, even if that meant 30% game time. And part of the reason why we have preseason games is to get players match fit for the season proper.

And good for Spencer that Roos said he went all right. He made 2 blunders that cost us goals in the 1st quarter. He's an average footballer, and always will be.

I'll make sure I tell Spence that next time I speak to him, before you rabbit on, you need to remember I speak to the players, so I asked why he wasn't getting a run in the NAB Cup, at the same time as asking Terlich and Riley and was told that their fitness levels were not ready for game time, we do things properly now, as to why Riley has been banging on the door, because of his late start, they think he probably needs another game or two before consideration

I forgot you watch the game for mistakes and nothing else

Edited by The Devil Inside

Greg Stafford doesn't agree with you Stuie, I know because I asked him, problem we have is all are at different stages of development and career, hence other post about setting up competition between Spencer and Jamar to push both, me I think it will benefit Spencer and may signal the end for Jamar

Ohhhh cos of course Greg Stafford would have told you we would be going after a ruck in the offseason.... Ugh...

• Like 4

I'll make sure I tell Spence that next time I speak to him, before you rabbit on, you need to remember I speak to the players

YOU need to remember the players and coaches aren't going to tell you the inside thinking and goings on at the club, they tell you the same things they tell the media, only what they want people to know.

Far out mate, I've stood up for you before, but pull your head in if you actually think you have a genuine insight into what's happening behind the doors.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 5

Ohhhh cos of course Greg Stafford would have told you we would be going after a ruck in the offseason.... Ugh...

Of course all the players and staff are going to be totally honest to some random supporter at training

They have told TDI all our plans and are more than happy to share the intimate inside knowledge of the club and list changes with him

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

YOU need to remember the players and coaches aren't going to tell you the inside thinking and goings on at the club, they tell you the same things they tell the media, only what they want people to know.

Far out mate, I've stood up for you before, but pull your head in if you actually think you have a genuine insight into what's happening behind the doors.

This.

I know for a fact players and even staff get educated on keeping it simple when talking to supporters and public. Doesn't matter who they are. You only have to look at Satys twitter and when he hassles them the players NEVER reply.. its beyound stalking nearly..

• Like 1

So why haven't we addressed this before? Gawn, Spencer and Fitz have been around so long and haven't performed

This club seems to hang on to some too long

Like Steph Martin? he was 25 when he left us. Max Gawn is 23.

I'll make sure I tell Spence that next time I speak to him, before you rabbit on, you need to remember I speak to the players, so I asked why he wasn't getting a run in the NAB Cup, at the same time as asking Terlich and Riley and was told that their fitness levels were not ready for game time, we do things properly now, as to why Riley has been banging on the door, because of his late start, they think he probably needs another game or two before consideration

I forgot you watch the game for mistakes and nothing else

Is that what he told you? Riley isn't getting a game because what he has to offer doesn't improve the team. And you can tell him I said that.

Whats a pass mark for Roos in win/lose, i think we will win 5 to 7, but don't think thats a pass. for me 5 or 6 fail, 7 would be par, 8 good, 9 pass

This is a whole different thread but if went 9 and 13 after 4 and 18 last year - that isn't a pass mark for Roos - that is a distinction.

• Like 4

A good ruckman is a mid 'Adam' and must be a priority. For our midfield to improve we need to be evenly matched and at the moment we are one down as soon as the ball is tapped in the centre bounce.

We are often playing 3 v 4 at centre bounces, 17 v 18 in general play.

Agreed. Although since Ottens left Geelong, they have had ordinary ruckmen. Would love a good ruckman, but I'd be giving up less, than I would for a good mid. Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Salem absolutely loves playing on the half back flank, and he is good there and will get even better, we will have a bigger and stronger Petracca to put into the midfield next year

Yeah, okay, but that doesn't mean Salem couldn't form part of our midfield rotation.
  • Like 1

Greg Stafford doesn't agree with you Stuie, I know because I asked him, problem we have is all are at different stages of development and career, hence other post about setting up competition between Spencer and Jamar to push both, me I think it will benefit Spencer and may signal the end for Jamar

I think this is exactly what has to transpire in Roosy's tenure, as he only has one more after 2015. so he has to fast track Spencil, or delist him. hurry him up as he has the aggression, but needs to discover more in himself.

if he shows some more he will get more time... decision time at end of season, with our ruck stocks I think 2 will go, maybe one retires? & one gets the shove.

IF gawn doesn't show some mongrel, on the field, then he can see the same door as JW.... IMO.

There is still a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go this season. Who and what we target depends on so many variables between now and then, that identifying targets now is dumb. Our biggest priority is to continue to develop the players on our list, get games into Brayshaw, Stretch, Neal-Bullen, Oscar Mac and all our young blokes. Then, at seasons end, we identify our needs, and target them. Roos will turn the list over again, and if he is as successful at the end of this season as he has been after his first 2 seasons, then we will continue to see the improvement we have seen already.

If GWS make the finals, why on earth would Dylan SHIEL leave them to come to us? Save the picks, develop the right young blokes and continue to build a team.

We need to continue to improve, to make our club a place where talented young players see a future, not a place for old hacks to retire. Then, we need to identify players such as Dom Tyson who have been in the sytem a little while and target them.

I have faith in Roos. He acquired a shocking list, and has done the best he can to turn it over and develop it. He continues to trim the dead wood around the club, but knows it takes time.

While we have had our ups and downs so far this season, we have realistically had only 2 games that we would have expected to win, and won them both. If we get to 8 wins this season, that is a massive improvement to where we were. We will still have some high draft picks. Roos will use them wisely. Then our list will have changed dramatically again.

While we are nowhere near the top teams yet, and really, not anywhere near the finals, let's not look for an overnight fix. Continue to draft top talent, and keep them. Develop a culture, and then, as we look like finishing somewhere near the finals, we target a good free agent. Timing is everything.

I'm happy with Lumumba, Vince, and Garlett so far. They aren't A graders, but they have fitted in well and are better than what we had.

I don't think that we should waste our time on blokes like Vickery, he hasn't been bereft of chances, just hasn't been good enough in an average team.

In summary, is Roos' plan working- Slowly, yes.

Do we need to make big deals yet? No, this needs to wait until our kids develop a bit. Once we have 50 games or so into Brayshaw, Hogan, Stretch, then go for it. Timing is everything.

I can get on board with most of this, but I wonder whether this is too much of a comservative approach in modern footy. With the advent of free agency, you must be competitive most of the time and that means pushing for finals as well, otherwise it's too easy for players to jump ship.

No, he has just been out of form, starting to look a bit better last weekend for Casey,, McCartney rides him at training constantly

he needs to be ridden all the kids that came thru the past 10 years, (or recruited since 2007) have to be ridden, to work like they need to in the AFL.

we were too soft on them, again, & rushed them into games, with no hard Rrrrs'd leaders to show them the courage required of them, & show them 'the real stuff' that they must follow.

green did for 5 minutes, but then backed off yet again, after some started screaming, "Don't get Hurt Bradley"

I suspect that Aish will end up a blue, & just maybe murphy will end up looking for a fresh start & a warmer climate, plus maybe a pick could temper level the Lions growl.

I would look at Shiel first up, not just a runner but 'has a burst thru' like Todd Viney had. a point of difference for the big games. stewy dew as well.

leave aish off, & look deeper on the Lions list for up 'n' comers. also at the GWS, look at the young ones not getting a jumper, with fresh minds for Roos Goodwin & McCartney to infect those young heads.

lets look to Sloane as a mature runner, Prestia, as well as Selwood....

chase Shiel, Sloane, Prestia, Selwood, plus listed kids . maybe look at a gorringe, cheaply.

Some good names in next years free agency pool to try the whole accept the trade now for better value than any compo pick trick