Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday 9th February 2015

Whispering_Jack

What has got me optimistic is everybody is putting their hand up for Round 1 if they are fit,

Petracca has just stood out the last couple of sessions.

I reckon a sub appearance as a forward would give him a taste, he is bound to feature in the NAB cup anyway.

Vandenberg, Billy Stretch are doing everything now, don't think Oscar Mc will get a gig early, defence is too settled, but he is a work in progress anyway

Neal Bullen and White are on comeback trail at the moment

Harmes from last year has not put a foot wrong post Xnas either

Just over 30 players out on the track again for full session

With all the talk of the new players,from what I have seen, Matt Jones will not be stepping aside to let one of them in the team, think he is the ultimate Roos role player at the club and Roos likes what he brings

Thanks for the response.

How is Brayshaw tracking? Any chance to play round 1?

Roos has been building 'his team' for two years now, he must be licking his lips at the competition for spots there is going to be, from what I have seen, each week we will get what Roos considers to be the best 22 at that moment, regardless of name, reputation or age...woe betide if you don't play your role, you will get to know Casey very well

• Like 2

Thanks TDI for your report.

You mention Matt Jones and I agree he is a good role player. IMO his biggest weakness is his disposals under pressure. I remember talk on here about him working on his kicking, but can you see any improvement when he is under pressure?

Beautiful morning out there - sunny with a light SW breeze. I arrived probably close to 10am and it looked like the group were just finishing their warm ups. Definitely not cancelled today! Long session... I left around 12:30pm when it was winding down, though quite a few were practicing set shots among others things. Again, more of a skills / ball drills session that finished with sprints and laps. General comments below:

• No sign of King, Hunt, Bail or Trengove today.
  • ANB was back, running laps with a light strap to his knee. Good to see him again!
  • Rehap / light duties group seemed to be White, Watts, Garland, Fitzy, Terlich and Howe. Watts, White and Howe did a few light things on the far side of the oval but spend most of the session doing laps. Bernie also did only laps I believe. Garland did drills early while Fitzy and Terlich ended up doing basically all the drills later in the session. Brayshaw left early today.
  • First drills were all basic kicks and hand balls in pairs and then group loops with running.
  • Great to see Kent and Hogan amongst it all
  • Intensity then went up with contact drills - players separated into tall forwards/backs and everyone else. One midfield group was doing a ground ball gather then brace for incoming tackle and try get a handball off. Apart from that I can't actually remember too much of these drills...
  • Next were full ground drills with players moving from one station to another and included kicks, hand balls, play on etc. These are quite interesting looking at kick accuracy as the players are under more pressure. A few errors but tidied up with minimum fuss.
  • Full ground drills were then two teams, blues vs high viz, trying to maintain possession from a stoppage at defence and moving the ball inside 50 then goal. Lots of voice in these, either calling for the ball or directing other players into space or pointing out options. Quite fun to watch these ones. Gawn was used as an option quite a few times, covered ground and got on the end of a few to convert. Petracca was pretty good, also M Jones, Lumumba, Grimes and Hogan.
  • A couple things stood out to me during these drills. Stretch doesn't look like a 1st year draftee - did not look out of place, just strength in a contested situation more like a draftee. Very impressed! Love Garlett's speed, not always used but provides options. Frost is quick too, a couple quick spoils. Lumumba was mainly down the other end from me but saw quite a bit of run followed by a couple long kicks. Will make an impact. Hogan just looks like he wants the ball so bad every time.
  • After these drills most players did sprints followed by a lap of the oval.
  • McCartney seems not to be running drills but be providing feedback to players on various aspects of what they've done such as technique and timing. Heard the word "fantastic" quite a few times as well things like "you should've committed to that lead earlier.." etc.
  • One funny moment saw the McDonald bros in a 1 on 1 at FF during a full ground drill with TMac defending. Oscar managed to outmaneuver Tom and took a great grab. Then went back and kicked the goal to big applause and shouts like "There's a new McDonald!"
  • Dunn got a calf strapped at one point but went back into drills. Did a lot of directing from FB during drills.
  • Byrnes took part in the all the training today. If a remember correctly he was going to be a playing coach at Casey this year...?
  • Love the way Jetta gets stuck into all his opponents, whether it's Dawes/Spencer or whoever he only knows one way.
  • Salem looks such a gifted footy player, saw him take a couple one hand grabs during the ball drills. Looking forward to his 2015.
  • People have mentioned Toump a bit lately - he looked pretty quick to me today. Plenty of running in all the drills and quite involved. Didn't stand out to me today but I don't mean that in a bad way at all as much of the group was pretty solid today.
  • Jamar is tracking very well and is the clear no. 1 ruck at this stage, in my opinion. Stronger than the younger rucks in rucking drills, taking good grabs and running well.
  • Also have Cross firmly in top 18, geez he's in good nick. What a great addition to the team.
  • Petracca should definitely get opportunities this season if he continues the way he's going.
  • Grimes, TMac, McKenzie and Salem did a intercept / 3rd man up marking drill in defence towards the end.
  • Vandenberg took part in all the drills today and also doesn't look out of place. Improved fitness will help but a lot to work with there.

Can the footy hurry up and start already...

Ruffles, Petracca was good to watch today wasn't he, what you want to see, a young guy improving every session

• Like 1

No Pedo is thriving, all the big men love the new diet, they are feeling leaner but stronger, Pedo is never going to be ripped, but he has no issues with the training, during the ball movement Roos has the big men up and down the ground

(Note it is not the personal insults, that is just childish, it is the constant carping, I find it boring, my lovely lady convinced to keep posting)

TDI could you thank the lovely lady from me.

• Like 8

No from what I see at training they will have a different tole, looking at Toumpas half back/wing, Petracca up forward

We will be spoilt for choice in the middle, Michie, Newton, McKenzie, Riley, Viney, Cross were all solid today, with Matt Jones already mentioned, that's if you think Nate Jones and Tyson are picked

Very droll, I know I'm putting you on the spot and that might set you up for the usual attack but I'm interested in your opinion on the order of the Mids. Please message me if your uncomfortable putting it out there.

1. Jones (Capt)

2. Tyson

3. Cross?

4. Vince

5. ?

6. ?

etc

Did McCartney work with any players in particular or just general support and advice?

How's the dynamic between him and Cross if at all noticeable?

Thanks for the response.

How is Brayshaw tracking? Any chance to play round 1?

If he can get the gastro under control, he said his body actually will enjoy the break from training, he never looks out of place and has good skills

Thanks TDI for your report.

i

You mention Matt Jones and I agree he is a good role player. IMO his biggest weakness is his disposals under pressure. I remember talk on here about him working on his kicking, but can you see any improvement when he is under pressure?

As myself and other watches of training have mentioned, the kicking skills have improved mainly because they have nice simple targets to kick to, Matt Jones, Terlich, McKenzie, Nev Jetta, Cross, McKenize are never going to produce 60-70 metre cross field, zone splitting passes, but if they look up and there is a free man who has gut run to be 20 metres in front of them they can move it on, that is the difference at the moment, hopefully the running will transfer to game day and the kicking

Did McCartney work with any players in particular or just general support and advice?

How's the dynamic between him and Cross if at all noticeable?

McCartney is all around the ground, a word here, a gesture there, a good pick up I reckon

They are both professionals

Very droll, I know I'm putting you on the spot and that might set you up for the usual attack but I'm interested in your opinion on the order of the Mids. Please message me if your uncomfortable putting it out there.

1. Jones (Capt)

2. Tyson

3. Cross?

4. Vince

5. ?

6. ?

etc

My order at the moment from what I have seen at training, Ruffles might like a go as well - 1.Jones 2.Tyson 3. Cross 4.McKenzie 5 Newton 6.Michie, - Bernie has to get out of rehab,, but then you have to fit in Matt Jones or Bail, do they occupy a spot in the forward line?, haven't put a foot wrong either

Carrying on from the midfield issue, where do you play Lumumba, is he in the 6, same with Salem and Toumpas, or in the backline or on the bench, as I keep saying difference from the past, 30 odd players fit and firing in February

Spoke to Jade Rawlings today, complimented him on how the backline looks so solid, he even said, he is going to have a problem deciding which 6 or 7 are in the 22, said that was great rather than a problem

• Like 2

I was there, didn't see as much as i liked as it was one of my puppies first outings so was more concerned with her (if gave a black lab a pat in passing, she appreciated it)... that and we managed to stand behind the rehab group of watts, howe, white, vince, ANB at times garlo and fitzy (but they were back in the main group on occasion so might have been a rest day)

STILL onto what I took away from it.

Generally I get to one or two preseason sessions a year so it is interesting to see how training both in method and quality has evolved. From Danahir where (granted i was young and it was a fair while ago) it looked like they mostly just went out for a kick around to baily with lots of circle work and spreading to Neeld's one on one tackling drills then an uninspiring practice match where no one could hit a hand-pass and I thought it was just because we had developed good defensive tackling pressure (how wrong was I) to early last year where they rotated through little "pods" of different skills so i was just hoping we would not turn it over as much (stuffed i know where the much improved defense came from) to this year where the post have been expanded and it looks to be much more all encompassing all ground type of work where the focused stuff from last year is being applied in a broader manner. What does this mean for the season? considering my previous record, i'm not the one to answer that.

On to the drills... apart from the mandatory handball soccer type of keepings off at the start, the rest of the time day was full length ball movement. So to me, speed of ball movement, retaining possession and kicking to big targets was the order of the day. Two quotes from McCartney, "clear space, you don't want the defender near there" and "good you have learnt it and are getting much better"

play watch...

My stand out would be Max Gawn, don't know if it was he was the only one out there in white shorts but monster-ed the forward line. Up until now he has looked like a baby Giraffe all gangly and awkward (much like fitzy still is, but looks better at full speed than a jog) but seems to be turning into a baby gazel much more surefooted, refined, a thing of substance (probably not the best analogy but it's all i have)

Shannon Byrnes. Even though he blew up allot (resting on his retired laurels?), was clean as a whistle

How Hogan, turned grimes inside out I'll never know, such a great turning circle for a big guy, didn't seem to miss a kick

JKH for screaming at pedo where to fill space during the match sim while pedo was stuffed from the previous contest

Jack watts for both taking the time to have a chat about black labs and the work he was doing with white in rehab. "bunny in the middle" was White catching short kicks and hand balling back and watts was all encouragement and coaching him towards the end when white looked tired to "concentrate"

special mention to Kent, Vandenberg (more of a unit than I thought, dunn sized & moved well, wasnt happy with his shoulder early hanging around the rehab guys) & Petracca (even if he missed the last set shot of full ground with the whole team watching after an elongated approach)

To those that have written reports prior to much with more substance I thank you, you either type faster or have more time and patience than my self, it's most appreciated!

• Like 35

I attended training this morning from about 9.30am to 11.15am with about 15-20 other fellow onlookers including Mark Stevens, but no sign of TDI with his scooter and iPad... The conditions were good but fairly warm and glary.

On light duties today I noticed Watts, White, Howe and Vince all running laps with Fitzy doing so later on. Kent, Garlett and Garland were in and out of the main group with a few niggles. Dunn had his calf strapped and was taking it fairly easy but later joined the main group along with Petracca and Terlich. Vandenberg seemed to be in full training.

After all the warm ups and stretches the group really didn't get underway until 10am where they split into three groups playing keepings off. It was mainly talls on talls, mids on mids and small forwards on small backs etc. Hogan's aggression for the ball was of note and Riley, Viv and Jetta were impressive with their quick hands and at closing down players quickly, causing turnovers.

Later on, the players had a drill where they kicked the ball from the BP to other side of the HBF where the awaiting player took a running mark and pushed off with speed hitting up an awaiting player near the corridor and then handing that ball off to a player near the centre circle where that player would hit up a player inside the 50 for a goal. The boys were really vocal in this and mostly hit their targets but I must say Pedo and Fitzy dropped a few easy marks and their kicks weren't that great either.

The second drill was a bit more contested with the High Vis (green/white) tops being used. In this drill a coach would kick a ball near the HBF and a player would have to win ball and then kick to the other side HBF where that player would mark the ball and continue to kick down the line to a player near the wing. From there the players would look for options inside the 50 and utilise short passes to score a goal. I found the movement to be really good in this drill and all were hitting up targets under pressure.

The players later split into three groups again where I watched the group closest to me which were the rucks/KPF's and KPB's doing 1 on 1 marking/spoiling contests. Hogan, Jamar, T-Mac and Frost were the standouts for me at winning the contests. Their bodywork and aerial skills were sensational, I'd say Frost and Hogan impressed the most, but O-Mac was also giving Gawn, Spencer and Pedo a run for their money which I liked.

Around 11am they moved into match sim where they were focusing on getting the ball from the back line to the forward line and using run and carry and short passes whilst maintaining possession. The movement was very quick which was good to see and the boys were all talking to each other to help look out for their man. They would often rotate the backs and forwards with miss matches, I think i saw Jetta on Gawn a few times... but the back line were really holding it together and switching opponents so no one got loose. Grimes really impressed with his voice and direction to the players and the same goes to T-Mac. I noticed Gawn looked very damaging down forward marking everything that came his way and kicking straight through the goals every time (he's definitely in my SuperCoach).

All in all it was a moderate training session, I didn't see any players gasping for breath. I think Roos just really wants to cement that quick ball movement into the players whilst also giving the kicker some options.

Players who impressed me today were Frost, Gawn, Kent, Stretch, Viv and Grimes.

P.s this is my first post so go easy on me fellow Demonlanders...

Cheers.

Welcome aboard the reporting bandwagon, great first report, love watching the backline, a solid unit, least of our worries

As for the moderate training session, most gave it a 7 which is out of 10 so yes you are right, Friday was between 8 (Cross) and 9 and a half (I won';t say who, coz I think he was joking?)

Edited by The Devil Inside

McCartney is all around the ground, a word here, a gesture there, a good pick up I reckon

They are both professionals

My order at the moment from what I have seen at training, Ruffles might like a go as well - 1.Jones 2.Tyson 3. Cross 4.McKenzie 5 Newton 6.Michie, - Bernie has to get out of rehab,, but then you have to fit in Matt Jones or Bail, do they occupy a spot in the forward line?, haven't put a foot wrong either

It's interesting when I'm trying to put a first round team together it's hard to fit them all in coz there are so many available and that includes up forward and down back. I've read a lot of peoples team lists and saw one earlier on the BF Board and it's amazing how many people don't have Grimes in the side at all. I think anyone who has been to training would see him in the 22. Question is in what position/ who is the competition for that spot? Another is Terlich I can easily see him coming in and Frost going out based on team balance/ match ups.

Nice position to be in. :)

Nice one cohort.

Your overall standouts are interesting, two in particular.

Viv always seems to be the pedestrian who goes unnoticed. What made him a standout today?

I'm interested in Kent's ability to take the next step this season. Same question as above. Did he consistently hit his targets?

Edited by P-man

Cheers.

Great effort CC.

Really liked the descriptions of drills.

• Like 1

Great reports guys. Ruffles and TDI tag teaming. great stuff and sensible mature response to recent posts. Well done guys.

And what about that great first up effort of CC (Caligula's Cohort).

• Like 2

Saty,

(thanks for the report)

Interested in your opinion on Pedo.

I thought he was in serious trouble under Neeld - almost looked disinterested.

Would it be correct to suggest that Roos may have not only brought out the better part of his talent but also had a very positive effect on his attitude ?

Oh delight, a training report about training. Thank you all.

Interesting observations. Will Gawn lock down a forward position? Will Dawes struggle to get back in after suspension?

I attended training this morning from about 9.30am to 11.15am with about 15-20 other fellow onlookers including Mark Stevens, but no sign of TDI with his scooter and iPad... The conditions were good but fairly warm and glary.

On light duties today I noticed Watts, White, Howe and Vince all running laps with Fitzy doing so later on. Kent, Garlett and Garland were in and out of the main group with a few niggles. Dunn had his calf strapped and was taking it fairly easy but later joined the main group along with Petracca and Terlich. Vandenberg seemed to be in full training.

After all the warm ups and stretches the group really didn't get underway until 10am where they split into three groups playing keepings off. It was mainly talls on talls, mids on mids and small forwards on small backs etc. Hogan's aggression for the ball was of note and Riley, Viv and Jetta were impressive with their quick hands and at closing down players quickly, causing turnovers.

Later on, the players had a drill where they kicked the ball from the BP to other side of the HBF where the awaiting player took a running mark and pushed off with speed hitting up an awaiting player near the corridor and then handing that ball off to a player near the centre circle where that player would hit up a player inside the 50 for a goal. The boys were really vocal in this and mostly hit their targets but I must say Pedo and Fitzy dropped a few easy marks and their kicks weren't that great either.

The second drill was a bit more contested with the High Vis (green/white) tops being used. In this drill a coach would kick a ball near the HBF and a player would have to win ball and then kick to the other side HBF where that player would mark the ball and continue to kick down the line to a player near the wing. From there the players would look for options inside the 50 and utilise short passes to score a goal. I found the movement to be really good in this drill and all were hitting up targets under pressure.

The players later split into three groups again where I watched the group closest to me which were the rucks/KPF's and KPB's doing 1 on 1 marking/spoiling contests. Hogan, Jamar, T-Mac and Frost were the standouts for me at winning the contests. Their bodywork and aerial skills were sensational, I'd say Frost and Hogan impressed the most, but O-Mac was also giving Gawn, Spencer and Pedo a run for their money which I liked.

Around 11am they moved into match sim where they were focusing on getting the ball from the back line to the forward line and using run and carry and short passes whilst maintaining possession. The movement was very quick which was good to see and the boys were all talking to each other to help look out for their man. They would often rotate the backs and forwards with miss matches, I think i saw Jetta on Gawn a few times... but the back line were really holding it together and switching opponents so no one got loose. Grimes really impressed with his voice and direction to the players and the same goes to T-Mac. I noticed Gawn looked very damaging down forward marking everything that came his way and kicking straight through the goals every time (he's definitely in my SuperCoach).

All in all it was a moderate training session, I didn't see any players gasping for breath. I think Roos just really wants to cement that quick ball movement into the players whilst also giving the kicker some options.

Players who impressed me today were Frost, Gawn, Kent, Stretch, Viv and Grimes.

Cheers.

Good post. Smart move being Caligula's Cohort. I hope he had a long life. We no longer have the Praetorian Guard but we do have the Demonlanders.

• Like 1

Saty,

(thanks for the report)

Interested in your opinion on Pedo.

I thought he was in serious trouble under Neeld - almost looked disinterested.

Would it be correct to suggest that Roos may have not only brought out the better part of his talent but also had a very positive effect on his attitude ?

No think his confidence took a battering with the 'head ducking' incident, most tend to forget that he is still very inexperienced at AFL level despite his age, think he found his feet again under Roos, again not sure where he fits in the 22, never gives less than 100% at training or in the games so Roos knows he can depend on him