Training - Friday 30th January 2015

DirtyDees DDC

Wrong

Daniel Nicholson, Simon Godfrey, Clint Bartram, Jack Grimes, Jordie Mckenzie come to my mind as very ordinary kicks in general. These guys would struggle to hit a target literally 20m away. Their determination and grit is what got them games.

Decision making contributes to that aswell as you said but these guys are draftcted purely that they are hard workers and will put in the time and effort in working on their kicking along the way.

Been down the track of McKenzie's disposal efficiency previously, it is at the standard of a solid AFL player, but if you want to continue down that path, feel free, I will never win against the mindset of some supporters.

The point I have been trying to make is that I agree some of the kicking in the last few years has been poor, poor because it has been rushed, wrong option, etc etc, so Roos has them kicking and kicking and kicking. and kicking

Yesterday no kicks missed the target they were aimed for, he even had them bombing it in to the 50 to a contest, is this a poor kick?, no it is the 'get out jail kick' being practiced, best bit of this was JKH and Garlett buzzing around the feet of the big boys.

The two incidents I have highlighted, Tyson stopped the run when he should have just kicked to Hogan, Roos let him know in no uncertain terms he is to take the simple option, Terllch kicked to a 1 in 3 because it was Hogan, when Jonesy was all on his own, hence the almighty spray he gave Terlich

It beggars belief that some supporters don't think the players practice their kicking and want to get better, I too though expect a must better showing this year, mainly because of what Roos is coaching

• Like 7

No, nor exactly, some always covet other teams players, get over it

We have one example last year of a players who was supposedly no good, Nev Jetta, getting fit, doing a full preseason and being played in a position he likes to play in, so let's wait and see shall we

Some others have seen what I am seeing, Ross getting them to perform the same thing over and over again, creating multiple options and taking the simple one, till it becomes second nature, the two incidents, Roos with Tyson and Jones and Terlich were because they didn't do it.

A lot of the so called kicking errors come from the actual decision making rather than the kicking, you can't be on an AFL list if you can't kick .

If Tommy Mc is coming out of defence and he looks up and has the runner(s) exactly where he/they should be coz they have practiced it so many times, he does what is now second nature and kick perfectly to him, like he did yesterday

On match days it will be the same, coz everybody is on the same page, and Roos will be only playing those players who do exactly what they are supposed to do, so we won't have Tommy Mc looking downfield to one on three or four and have no alterhatives and then turning it over because of panic

In answer to the frills and the opposition for the drills, Roos varies it, from witches hats to actual contesting and tackling

Todays article in the Age by doyen Martin Flanagan hits some of our past problems on the head. Hopefully this year our players will be where they are expected to be making it easier to get out of defence with fewer turnovers.

Been down the track of McKenzie's disposal efficiency previously, it is at the standard of a solid AFL player, but if you want to continue down that path, feel free, I will never win against the mindset of some supporters.

The point I have been trying to make is that I agree some of the kicking in the last few years has been poor, poor because it has been rushed, wrong option, etc etc, so Roos has them kicking and kicking and kicking. and kicking

Yesterday no kicks missed the target they were aimed for, he even had them bombing it in to the 50 to a contest, is this a poor kick?, no it is the 'get out jail kick' being practiced, best bit of this was JKH and Garlett buzzing around the feet of the big boys.

The two incidents I have highlighted, Tyson stopped the run when he should have just kicked to Hogan, Roos let him know in no uncertain terms he is to take the simple option, Terllch kicked to a 1 in 3 because it was Hogan, when Jonesy was all on his own, hence the almighty spray he gave Terlich

And im still waiting for you to get me that disposal efficiency to prove that.

Until that, he is a horrible kick... Sorry to say.. Im sure he is a great bloke to you and you love him to bits but when a senior player misses goals from 20m out against port Adelaide dead in front then back it up the week after with a miss from 15m out directly in front he has some serious issues with his kicking.

And even if his disposal efficiency is up. He will always handball a lot during the games because you can tell from his body language he doesn't even trust his own kicking skills.

Anyone can hit a target at training. Its the actual game day that's the big problem for us when the pressure and intensity goes up by 80% Come watch one of the Ovens and Murray clubs I play at and you will see we are also rarely miss targets too.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2

Getting better and better, it meant the supposedly poor kicks, you know the usual suspects the hair shirt wearing lemon suckers pick on here, Tommy Mc did not miss a target today, neither did Matt Jones, only one who badly fluffed a kick was Dean Terlich who got a real ear bashing from Nathan Jones for not taking the simple option, his next kick was down the throat

Just out of curiosity and it may be a silly question - but can you please explain your definition of a "hair shirt wearing lemon sucker" person looks like. I'm picturing a person wearing a shirt covered in hair sucking on lemons!

• Like 2

And im still waiting for you to get me that disposal efficiency to prove that.

Until that, he is a horrible kick... Sorry to say.. Im sure he is a great bloke to you and you love him to bits but when a senior player misses goals from 20m out against port Adelaide dead in front then back it up the week after with a miss from 15m out directly in front he has some serious issues with his kicking.

And even if his disposal efficiency is up. He will always handball a lot during the games because you can tell from his body language he doesn't even trust his own kicking skills.

Anyone can hit a target at training. Its the actual game day that's the big problem for us when the pressure and intensity goes up by 80% Come watch one of the Ovens and Murray clubs I play at and you will see we are also rarely miss targets too.

That is a bit strangulated, do you mean you rarely miss kicks, or you do miss, or you don't miss at training but do on matchday. Comprehension seems to be an issue today, I have been explaining that Roos is coaching them, doing the same drills over and over again, so come match day, pressure or not, it is second nature .

I have played at the level of the Ovens and Murray, me I am UK born and couldn''t hit a set shot to save my life, (on the run, completely different story, best goal volley in mid air without grabbing it) ,so coaches had players ready to receive the handball if I couldn't run on, called coaching, Roos realises it is not the kicking but the perceived pressure so is coaching to eradicate that

Edited by The Devil Inside

Just out of curiosity and it may be a silly question - but can you please explain your definition of a "hair shirt wearing lemon sucker" person looks like. I'm picturing a person wearing a shirt covered in hair sucking on lemons!

Definitions

Hairshirt wearer - Clint

Lemon sucker - Dazzle

They always see the light at the end of tunnel, but for them it is always the train

The photos are carp

There was a bloke from geelong that they had lined up to do some arty black and white shots but he pulled out.

Chortle, chortle... ;)

• Like 1

i'll reserve my judgement as to whether certain players have become good or ok kickers when i seen it demonstrated consistently in real match conditions

that is all that counts

effective disposal % stats are a crock of shyte

Not necessarily, bit like supercoach points, depends on how you interpret them

But the rest agree with, so do most of the players I speak to, they/we all want the ball movement/kicking that is now being displayed at training to transfer to match day, why Roos spends so much time on it, but he has adopted the KISS approach, he knows if we can get the bloody thing up there quick enough, we have enough talent there now to convert it

That is a bit strangulated, do you mean you rarely miss kicks, or you do miss, or you don't miss at training but do on matchday. Comprehension seems to be an issue today, I have been explaining that Roos is coaching them, doing the same drills over and over again, so come match day, pressure or not, it is second nature .

I have played at the level of the Ovens and Murray, me I am UK born and couldn''t hit a set shot to save my life, (on the run, completely different story, best goal volley in mid air without grabbing it) ,so coaches had players ready to receive the handball if I couldn't run on, called coaching, Roos realises it is not the kicking but the perceived pressure so is coaching to eradicate that

Yes that's exactly what I meant.

Same problem we have been battling the last 8 years. Looking fantastic on the training track every summer like you love to spruik on about then come game day we are a flop. This year I hope is a lot different with the quality of players we have brought in. The likes of Newton, HL, Garlett, Brayshaw, Stretch are well known for their kicking skills and good decision making.

Definitions

Hairshirt wearer - Clint

Lemon sucker - Dazzle

They always see the light at the end of tunnel, but for them it is always the train

Yes because the last 8 years has prove that hasn't it.. :huh:

Like wormburner I am still confused what those terms mean.. anyway each to their own.

Edited by dazzledavey36

What back Injury, during the session the ruck division got together, Jamar, Spencer, Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Pedersen and Hogan to do a bit of tap work and second effort, Hogan picked up Gawn at one stage and drove him into the ground, wonderful to watch, didn't get it on camera though, but there are others on my Twitter Demonpk

Has Dawes been doing any ruck work at training?