Melbourne Business Community Breakfast

Whispering_Jack

Apologies for bringing some of you face to face with your own mortality but please permit me to return to the topic.

Paul Roos was the keynote speaker and it was a pleasure to hear him speak for the second time in less than a week. I have no doubt that if I were a player I'd be breaking down doors to play in his team and I can understand the disappointment of the injured contingent about not being able to get out there on Saturday night. I didn't take notes but he spoke of the business of football and how the sport had changed dramatically over the years since he started. Nevertheless, he did say that some things don't change, notably the importance to the players of having responsible peers who are prepared to open up and tell their teammates when there's a need for improvement in areas such as behaviour. He pointed to Garry Wilson from his own playing days at Fitzroy, how the Sydney leadership had spoken to Mitch Morton which helped him become a premiership player and how the Geelong leaders had influenced Garry Ablett Jr.

Stirring stuff - good times on the horizon.

Near or far WJ

And I have been aware of my mortality for some time so no need to apologize.

I attended this morning.

As with many things at the MFC, it could be so much better than it is. Smaller turnout (at a guess) than last year. Less polished event, less interesting, fewer speakers, less info and not that engaging.

Nick Smith did a reasonable job as MC.

Neita and Roos spoke and were interesting without saying anything at all. It was content-free, or near enough. That is probably fine for the moment and for the setting. The video ad for the NT thing was odd - about 2 minutes of footage that ended abruptly and left the room silent. Gives a good indication of what that production was like.

Got a chance to catch up with Josh Mahoney - as always a really approachable fella. Been a big push over the last few months it seems and there is a palpable sense of excitement at how well the players have gone improving their role-play and game sense. Able to briefly discuss the fall-off against hawthorn. Nothing to panic about, but that game contains, in a nutshell, the challenge for the year.

Also, worth having a shout-out to Tom Parker. I spoke with him last year about his + clubs work on China Southern and how close they were...and the work done over years to get them nearly over the line...for it all to fall away in the pile of dung that last year became. Great to see he + the team's work be successful after years of slog, the loss of quite a few colleagues, near-constant instability etc. A great job and a mark of persistence with his character.

I think this is a worthwhile function that could really develop into something highly successful over time - the business club is a promising work in progress.

• Like 4

As with many things at the MFC, it could be so much better than it is. Neita and Roos spoke and were interesting without saying anything at all. It was content-free, or near enough.

Agree. The premise, unless I am mistaken, was to hear Roos speak about the team and it's progress. He didn't.

He is a very good speaker but he told us absolutely nothing about the team or where it is at. Even an accurate injury report would have been nice.

I left feeling disappointed.

Apologies for bringing some of you face to face with your own mortality but please permit me to return to the topic.

Paul Roos was the keynote speaker and it was a pleasure to hear him speak for the second time in less than a week. I have no doubt that if I were a player I'd be breaking down doors to play in his team and I can understand the disappointment of the injured contingent about not being able to get out there on Saturday night. I didn't take notes but he spoke of the business of football and how the sport had changed dramatically over the years since he started. Nevertheless, he did say that some things don't change, notably the importance to the players of having responsible peers who are prepared to open up and tell their teammates when there's a need for improvement in areas such as behaviour. He pointed to Garry Wilson from his own playing days at Fitzroy, how the Sydney leadership had spoken to Mitch Morton which helped him become a premiership player and how the Geelong leaders had influenced Garry Ablett Jr.

Stirring stuff - good times on the horizon.

I'm interested in this little snippet about Garry Wilson, WJ. Does this mean that GW had to pull him up at some stage? Or was it about other teammates who weren't putting in? I remember GW being renowned for his work ethic and leadership.

Agree. The premise, unless I am mistaken, was to hear Roos speak about the team and it's progress. He didn't.

He is a very good speaker but he told us absolutely nothing about the team or where it is at. Even an accurate injury report would have been nice.

Hes a bit like a politician Roosy he does the same on 360 he tells you absolutely nothing , you know the clubs coming from a long way back and so forth .

I left disappointed at the lack of information. I want in-depth insights damnit!

Actually, I think that a lot we know and a lot is simple: the team needs to learn how to play as a team and how to win under pressure. I started a thread last year about this topic and we are in exactly the same position still: the team needs to learn how to play as a team (just like in the movie). However, the only way to do it is through experience. You can only teach so much; the rest has to be done the hard way. And that will take time and take learning from mistakes.

So what is Paul going to say? We know he is teaching game plan and he won't tell us what it is. He won't tell us about injuries because that is private. He won't 'out' player's issues. He wont critique the previous administration or footy dept. So what can he say?

Speaking with Josh Mahoney, it was clear that basic things were not done against Hawthorn and we need to learn to do them. Once we get that right, against good teams in big games, we'll be almost there.

And, I know I should not do this to all the faithful who dare not dream because they don't want to feel so cut-up again, but there was a real glimmer in Josh's eye. My "feel" (and that is all it is) is that there is reason to hope and again, like always, we need to give it time.

• Like 2

I'm interested in this little snippet about Garry Wilson, WJ. Does this mean that GW had to pull him up at some stage? Or was it about other teammates who weren't putting in? I remember GW being renowned for his work ethic and leadership.

It wasn't suggested that he had to be pulled up by Wilson, but more the fact that players like Wilson who set such great examples of how to train and hard they worked during games that had a profound effect on their younger teammates like Roos.

What exactly were you expecting Redleg?

This was a business community breakfast and the theme was specifically the business of football and Roos drew an analogy between what you need for success in football and what's required in business. In that regard, you shouldn't have been expecting the usual analysis you might get from an On The Couch interview. That was never meant to be.

Here's something to help - Roos flags two debutants for round one