The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

has produced a fair few decent players.

Would think he had only a minor role. These kids can already play when they get to the TAC cup level, they get a bit of education then the real work starts when they get to an AFL club.

Chaser, have you seen much of Dean Gore? I was very impressed with him in the last game. Could end up a real bargain pick.

Hadn't seen too much of him before watching the coverage of Metro and SA. I got to the double header at Simonds, but Gore didn't win much of the ball against Country (was pretty good defensively with 7 tackles though). Was impressed with his work inside against Metro. Really good hands in close and his inside work reminded me a bit of Luke Dunstan. Has some senior experience and it showed with his composure inside. When he got the ball on the spread, mainly played the percentages with his kick, which looked ok without necessarily being a weapon.

A few good performances for Sturt and he could push himself up into the second round maybe.

Other thoughts from Metro v SA:

Whoever ends up taking a flyer on Caleb Daniel will end up with a pretty exciting player. Pace, endurance, vision, composure, kicking skill and footy nous. A natural footballer with some great traits, but clubs will hesitate because of his height. On all round ability he'd be top 5. Worth noting he's cracked Souths senior side in the SANFL and picked up 17 touches and a goal last weekend.

Laverde reminds me a lot of Will Hoskin-Elliot, and if Ahern can string together some higher possession games in the run home to the draft, he will go very high. He's already got a good set of tools, needs to get more of the ball.

Hadn't seen too much of him before watching the coverage of Metro and SA. I got to the double header at Simonds, but Gore didn't win much of the ball against Country (was pretty good defensively with 7 tackles though). Was impressed with his work inside against Metro. Really good hands in close and his inside work reminded me a bit of Luke Dunstan. Has some senior experience and it showed with his composure inside. When he got the ball on the spread, mainly played the percentages with his kick, which looked ok without necessarily being a weapon.

A few good performances for Sturt and he could push himself up into the second round maybe.

Other thoughts from Metro v SA:

Whoever ends up taking a flyer on Caleb Daniel will end up with a pretty exciting player. Pace, endurance, vision, composure, kicking skill and footy nous. A natural footballer with some great traits, but clubs will hesitate because of his height. On all round ability he'd be top 5. Worth noting he's cracked Souths senior side in the SANFL and picked up 17 touches and a goal last weekend.

Laverde reminds me a lot of Will Hoskin-Elliot, and if Ahern can string together some higher possession games in the run home to the draft, he will go very high. He's already got a good set of tools, needs to get more of the ball.

Thanks 'Chaser', I think he's worth watching. I was impressed with how he positioned himself for clearances from ruck contests, centre and around the ground and as you say he has good hands in close. Also noticed he had a good turn of pace and seemed to cover a lot of ground. Could be a real bargain.

Laverde is an interesting one. He has some good tricks but I'm not sure of his footy smarts. Ahern has a lot of talent no doubt about that, might not need high possessions to impact a game.

I rate Treloar higher than Shiel personally, if it came to a choice, i'd happily take both

I think Treloar would offer our midfield an element we certainly lack and that's pace. But I'd take both too. :D

Thanks 'Chaser', I think he's worth watching. I was impressed with how he positioned himself for clearances from ruck contests, centre and around the ground and as you say he has good hands in close. Also noticed he had a good turn of pace and seemed to cover a lot of ground. Could be a real bargain.

Laverde is an interesting one. He has some good tricks but I'm not sure of his footy smarts. Ahern has a lot of talent no doubt about that, might not need high possessions to impact a game.

Gore played a very mature type of game. Yeah, his positioning was good, and got to multiple contests. I think the South Australian squad is full of bargain types. At this stage Durdin’s the only one projected to be in the first round, but I think there are a number of players in that team who will be good players in the AFL. Harrison Wigg’s an obvious one due to his kicking ability, but Declan Hamilton caught the eye with his creativity too.

Laverde’s an exciting athlete, and like Hoskin-Elliott, has the pace to take the game on and can take a great high mark. Can run himself into trouble, but seems to generally get himself out of it.

I think Ahern can definitely influence games with fewer touches with his vision and skill. His decision making appears to be very good too, which is one thing that is very difficult to coach into a player. I think the general question with him is his tank, but that’s not uncommon for an under 18. If his work ethic is good, then that can be improved in an AFL environment. His ceiling is a Stevie Johnson midfield/forward type.

To be totally honest Ahern interests me a little more than Brayshaw, wouldn't be upset if we pull the trigger possibly a little early on him.

what draft range to people see Wigg going? would our second rounder be in the frame?

To be totally honest Ahern interests me a little more than Brayshaw, wouldn't be upset if we pull the trigger possibly a little early on him.

what draft range to people see Wigg going? would our second rounder be in the frame?

Second round out to third probably around the mark for Wigg, unless he has a Colquhoun type plummet. He’s not as short as Colquhoun, so he shouldn’t drop, but I think as players there’s a similarity.

Wigg’s the best field kick in the draft, but I also like Duggan and Viojo-Rainbow are others who standout as high level rebounding defenders. Duggan should go first round, if he somehow gets to our second rounder, we should jump on.

Another who didn’t go so well at the Nationals, but I rate is Daniel Capiron.

• Like 1

Gore played a very mature type of game. Yeah, his positioning was good, and got to multiple contests. I think the South Australian squad is full of bargain types. At this stage Durdin’s the only one projected to be in the first round, but I think there are a number of players in that team who will be good players in the AFL. Harrison Wigg’s an obvious one due to his kicking ability, but Declan Hamilton caught the eye with his creativity too.

Laverde’s an exciting athlete, and like Hoskin-Elliott, has the pace to take the game on and can take a great high mark. Can run himself into trouble, but seems to generally get himself out of it.

I think Ahern can definitely influence games with fewer touches with his vision and skill. His decision making appears to be very good too, which is one thing that is very difficult to coach into a player. I think the general question with him is his tank, but that’s not uncommon for an under 18. If his work ethic is good, then that can be improved in an AFL environment. His ceiling is a Stevie Johnson midfield/forward type.

Ahern sounds a similar description to Gysberts? is he any good?

We need some pace & run, Picket & Laverde sound interesting options?

I'd like to get a snippet of Lamb, re the creative type.

Ahern sounds a similar description to Gysberts? is he any good?

We need some pace & run, Picket & Laverde sound interesting options?

I'd like to get a snippet of Lamb, re the creative type.

Jordy was a taller inside mid, Ahern’s more of a run and carry wingman type. He's developed his inside game very well, but will likely be an outside runner at AFL level (who will win his own ball). Not as quick as Pickett, but probably more rounded.

That said, I don’t think anyone in the draft can change a game like Pickett can with his run and dash. He can chase and tackle well, but can disappear for periods.

Edited by ChaserJ

Jordy was a taller inside mid, Ahern’s more of a run and carry wingman type. He's developed his inside game very well, but will likely be a runner at AFL level. Not as quick as Pickett, but probably more rounded.

That said, I don’t think anyone in the draft can change a game like Pickett can with his run and dash. He can chase and tackle well, but can disappear for periods.

Thats what I like about picket he has the go-go about him with the requisite Jeff Farmer take it on, have a go wayz. apparently from what I've read he'll chase like ADavey, but actually tackle & bulldog them down. strong overhead, & links up. sounds like he has the mental strength to take on big opponents.

Reads like the Wiz. imo sounds a great little hff or wing, pushing up. I really want this kid. & the 'bloodline-dna', in Red'n'Blue.

Gotta pick up players who can use the ball.

We need to nail our late picks too - too often of late they've been good battlers but lacking in required ability to use the ball.

The general feeling seems to be that this draft is a bit light on, in terms of quality of players and depth?

We say this every year, but surely our inability to find a target is most often directly related to the kicker's teammates not workin hard enough to provide an option?

• Like 1

We need to nail our late picks too - too often of late they've been good battlers but lacking in required ability to use the ball.

The general feeling seems to be that this draft is a bit light on, in terms of quality of players and depth?

IMO the depth is more than ok, but the top end doesn’t have the standout, ticks all of the box type players of recent drafts (Boyd, Whitfield, Kelly, etc). The quality is perceived to run deeper than last year, in which a very low number of draftees was taken overall. It’s a fairly even field and there’ll be a reasonable discrepancy in how teams rank players.

That said, we’ve had quite a number of last year’s crop play and play well this year, with Tom Langdon the poster boy for late pick success.

Ahern is a good user of the football.

Ahern is a good user of the football.

Disagree from what I've seen.

Average at best..

Any players we pick up in the draft or trading period this year must be sound decision makers and great kicks of the footy.

It's the number one priority in my eyes.

It's got to be the theme this year.

How hard is it to take a leaf out of the way the hawks drafted.. Elite disposal, contested ball winning and competitive.

Make it happen.

Hawthorn seemed to find a bunch of them, not all high draft picks.

ahhh ahhh a man after my own thinking

how is it , or indeed we ought to ask WHY is it possible that clubs who dont particularly feature often at draft time still manage to eek out and snaffle decent players ?

I reckon its because they have the criteria for selection right as opposed to our litany of fukk ups !!

i think our biggest mistake is to go after the salvation messiah types when what we really need are footballers. I think the current FD understand this...tgft !!

We say this every year, but surely our inability to find a target is most often directly related to the kicker's teammates not workin hard enough to provide an option?

Watch how many options Watts offers - have a look at how many leads Dawes makes.....the passes either go on their head, over their head, or miss them altogether!

• Like 2

I'm not sure on that one mate, I think there is a huge possibility they're going to back themselves to keep him regardless of what we offer, but if we offer a really good deal like that there is an outside chance they will at least look at it, anxiety over losing players for nothing will become much more potent a weapon in this sort of situation once the compo is scrapped altogether and it becomes a prospect of getting nothing for a star player.

I think they might be playing with Fire again as in another Tippet case , as we have already spoken to him , can only hope and time will tell

with FA , i believe there will be more players traded with a year to go, so the clubs don't loose them for free , we are supporters need to get used to more players swapping or even holding off talks

the AFL needs to make FA fairer to clubs

for me say we loose Chip and get a first round pick after our first pick still , but the club who he goes too should then forfeit their first round pick , that way all other clubs are not penalised with so many extra free picks handed out ,

and it will make a few clubs think a little more about over paying to get someone

Watch how many options Watts offers - have a look at how many leads Dawes makes.....the passes either go on their head, over their head, or miss them altogether!

Yep, I understand what you're saying, but still, if there is only 1 or 2 players working to make an option, it is a lot easier for the opposition to crowd space and make it hard to hit that target.

The good teams have all players working hard, and then the kicker just has to pick to most "gettable" option.

But yes, we also have poor kicks in the side.

And don't discount the effect of fatigue on kicking players (and those leading for that matter) as we are still learning to run out games under a new and more demanding game style.

Recruiting highly skilled kicks will help, but it is not going to be the sole panacea.